National Park Scam?

chrissables

Geez, here we go again...

A friend in USA returned to NY State and wanted to play a golf course that he played as a kid. He no longer could get the "locals" price because he moved out of state.

State Schools on a University level charge more for out of state residents. And this is not small money.

That is just life. The Thai National Park that I go to regularly in my area seems to charge me a different price every time I go and often let me in free too… I just make a joke of it and pay what they ask. They have employees and upkeep.

Sometimes you just have to accept life as it is…

No you don't, there are usually ways to get even with cheats, though I agree it is not the workers fault they have to overcharge you.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must admit I hate paying the farang prices but we drove out to the big angkor wat in burriam from Sakon Nakhon so had little choice. I was fuming for about 30 mins. That was with my Thai DL aswell.

There is another, uncontrolled entrance. You drove past it on your way up.

Bleedin ell.

Same same thing at the beach near Sattahip near Pattaya, I simply turn around and will not entertain this bullshit.

It's plain racists act of stupidity and their slowly killing their own tourist industry..

Sai keaw beach is that?
Yeah, that's the one. Me and my Thai lady went there 3 weeks ago and the Thai price is 50 baht and Farang is 100 baht. It's not about the money to me, it's about the concept..... I will not entertain this bullshit and neither did a crowd of German tourist that was behind us in line. Actually they were quite pissed off and told the official to stick their beach up their ass and that they would NOT visit Thailand again.
Yeah mate fair doos.

I'm not defending it here but the money will more than likely be for the shower facilities they have there and changing rooms.

It's s nice beach but not much nicer than Bang Saray, which is free.

Agreed 100% to that the infrastructure needs to be maintained but then Thais also use it. Why make the Farang pay more ? Complete slap in the face, act of greed and raciism towards Tourist and Expats alike.

Easy. Don't go to National Parks. You wont catch misterphil paying Foreign prices to visit these places. I have a Thai driving licence and if I don't get the same price as a Thai neither me or my wife will go in. Simple as that.

I will and do stand outside temples while my wife goes and does her thing in them, if I'm asked to pay and she isn't.

TIT and will never change. They still think all farangs are super rich, even the expats.

A few months ago a Thai sitdown and take-away restaurant lost me forever.

I always paid 50 baht for a very good "laab moo", that time they wanted 80 baht, NEW owner.

I explained I live here and always pay 50 and come to eat or take-away several times a week. No Joy.

Now he can see me almost daily shopping at 7-11 across the road and eating/ordering Thai food at the restaurant next door for 40-60 meals (good quality with real meat and veggies).

They don't have "laab moo" but well I got a bike and get it 2 roads down when I want it.

Of course I always greet and say hello, when ever I walk past my old rip-off restaurant.

I strongly dislike the double pricing myself and will not go to places that charge foreigners more.

But, what strikes me as odd about your post is that you and your GF are both foreigners, yet you would be willing to cheat and pay the Thai price for her since she looks Asian, and you think since you have been here a long time you should pay the price for nationals as well.

I detect a lack of integrity on both sides of the coin here.

Integrity would surely be the insistence upon paying the full wack for both/all even if your spouse/kids are Thai.

I haven't encountered this problem for more than a decade. My wife's solution when it did raise it's ugly head was to tell me the total rather than explain the breakdown of each ticket.

( 'it stops you doing 'Mr Fawlty'!' :) )

HTH

I went to Pattaya Floating Market last year with 3 Thai friends. The Thais entered first for free (hell's teeth, it's a market. Do you expect to pay to enter?). On entering, 100 baht entrance fee was demanded for myself. I called to my 3 Thai friends and told them we were leaving. Security man quickly ran after me saying okay, okay, free, free. Trying it on or didn't want to lose sales to 4 shoppers?

Since about half a year can't get Thai price (= free) anymore by showing my Thai driving license at Floating Market, Pattaya .
Same for going up the Pattaya Waterpark Tower.

Underwater World Pattaya can still get Thai price when showing Thai driving license

The issue for me with dual pricing at national parks, is not simply the price difference, I think the national parks in Thailand are spectacular and have no problem paying towards their up keep.

Rather dual pricing is a very visible statement to every single Thai person that it is acceptable to double charge foreigners (who are in truth guests in Thailand). The government are double charging foreigners, so every mom and pop business can double charge foreigners.

By the way many countries charge double prices to foreigners.In Europe we also do it but we are more subtle.In the UK many of the top tourist destinations have ridiculous prices.They only sell yearly passes.In effect this is double pricing as foreigners on holidays for two weeks are not gonna have the opportunity to go again but residents will...Thailand is not subtle but at least we know they are doing it!!

Is this just some rubbish off the top of your head ?!

First this is about thialand not the world.

Second , which places in europe charge more for foreigners ? Easy to post usless wrong information if you do not name any places with double pricing in europe.

My wife has been to uk with me twice and we went all over uk and everywhere we went we were charged the same , ie alton towers , oakwood in wales , tower of london , london eye , madame tussauds , museums free for foreigners , library internet free for foreigners ,all national parks free for foreigners.

What yearly tourist attractions only have yearly passes ? I have never heard of one .Been to lots of water parks ,leisure centres always paid the same.

I have been to disneyland in paris and florida never seen dual pricing except i read something in florida that locals could get in cheaper as they have to put up with the hassle .

Always somebody to slag of uk to make thailand not seem so bad.

I will never pay more than my wife as when i went to koh samed a few years ago and they wanted 400 baht from me and 40 from my wife to keep the island clean i was told . The fact the thais make it dirty seemed to escape them , I got back on the boat with my wife and also 2 american women would not pay and the 4 of us went elsewhere and koh samed lost out. Grand palace wanted 800 baht from me , free for wife . I waited outside. Thai boxing match wanted 1600baht from me(800) for thai i never went in , siam waterworld 400 baht for wife 800 for me . Never went in and same with lots of places . I never get upset i just walk away and go some other place .

dazzz

The way I look at it is that ,in principle, it is wrong to charge foreigners who are resident here more.

However, I don't go to national parks that often, maybe a few times a year. It takes so much time ,effort and money to organize trips.Is it really worth giving up a great day out just because of a principle???

I was recently charged full price in Khao Sam Roi Yoy park. I was nice about it so they let my son in for free.We had an amazing day that we will never forget.If I was stubborn like the OP we would've had a shit day. Life is too short.Pay the few hundred baht extra and live your life to the full....

By the way many countries charge double prices to foreigners.In Europe we also do it but we are more subtle.In the UK many of the top tourist destinations have ridiculous prices.They only sell yearly passes.In effect this is double pricing as foreigners on holidays for two weeks are not gonna have the opportunity to go again but residents will...Thailand is not subtle but at least we know they are doing it!!

Stubborn, yes!

They had stamped the ticket before my motorbike had even stopped, there was (still is) no way they knew my girlfriend was not Thai, so that was a scam.

Secondly my girlfriend has a salary. I asked her would she pay? No was the answer.

Sometimes one must stick to one's principles.

You simply look at it in the wrong way - and that what makes you upset. Like it or not - these are the rules and regulations, and you know it. So when you plan a trip to a national park you can do it in 2 ways:

1. Know before you even leave home that they are going to try and charge you the farang price, get all steamed up and ready to fight for it, and when you finally arrive at the park - if you "win" and pay the local price enjoy the "winning" more than the actual nature trip. If you "lose" you get even more upset as you "lost" and now you turned back without the actual outdoor day you planned.

2. Know before you leave home that there are 2 sets of prices and budget the higher price into the day's expenses calculations. Get to the park, smile and ask for a local's price in your best Thai and show your Thai DL. If you get the lower price, you have another reason to enjoy the day. If you don't - it doesn't matter as you already planned for the higher price, and as claffey said - enjoy the day for the actual planned activity.

The guys at the gate don't make the rules nor have any say about it. They don't know nor care how much tax you pay compared to any other Thai or non Thai person, They don't try to evaluate your financial situation based on the type of vehicle you drive - all this is way above their pay grade. They have a job to do and seems they do it correctly by following the rules and charging you what the rules say they should. And if your GF is non Thai - they were charging her the correct price as well - according to the rules.

Actually you are so wrong.

I did not know, if so i would not have gone.

I have always managed to pay the Thai price (except the navy base) by showing them my Thai licence.

As already stated i had not even stopped the bike when she had stamped the ticket (2 foreigners) But she could see my girlfriend was Thai or looked Thai. They had no idea of her nationality and did not even inquire. And she works with a permit etc.

My Thai is good enough to explain that i have lived here a long time and explain what i would like in a polite way.

Also good enough to tell them it is wrong to cheat me.

And good enough to as why a Thai man in a BMW pay less than me on a bike.

Following rules? Really, so maybe you can explain why we paid Thai price at two other parks this trip?

10 x Thai national price is a scam.

I wonder what multiple you would accept before refusing? 100x enough?

The way I look at it is that ,in principle, it is wrong to charge foreigners who are resident here more.

However, I don't go to national parks that often, maybe a few times a year. It takes so much time ,effort and money to organize trips.Is it really worth giving up a great day out just because of a principle???

I was recently charged full price in Khao Sam Roi Yoy park. I was nice about it so they let my son in for free.We had an amazing day that we will never forget.If I was stubborn like the OP we would've had a shit day. Life is too short.Pay the few hundred baht extra and live your life to the full....

Stubborn, yes!

They had stamped the ticket before my motorbike had even stopped, there was (still is) no way they knew my girlfriend was not Thai, so that was a scam.

Secondly my girlfriend has a salary. I asked her would she pay? No was the answer.

Sometimes one must stick to one's principles.

Do you have a Thai Dirvers License or Work Permit?

She has a salary from where exactly? How is that relavent to the discussion?

I can normally tell what nationalities Asian people are and I am not even Asian. You really think that Thai people can't tell when someone isnt Thai? Dead giveaway may be that she didnt speak Thai to them?

Yes, i have had a Thai licence for over 10 years now.

She is a teacher here, with a work permit, which she has always used to get the Thai price.

The dead giveaway if you bothered to read the my posts was that they issued (stamped) the ticket before i had even stopped the bike. There was no point arguing about her work permit as they would not let me in at the Thai price with my driving licence.

The scam is 10 x price, plus trying to get me to pay 10 x for as far as they knew was a Thai lady.

As i got to the desk where they were taking payments, (This was 50 meters before the "real" entrance) The lady taking the money stamped two tickets before i had even stopped my bike, she said 800+ (can't remember if + was 20 or 40 baht)

40 baht a ticket X tenfold for foreigners = 400 baht X 2 foreigners = 800 Baht.

They obviously knew your g/f wasn't Thai just by looking!

Vote with your feet and take large steps in the opposite direction...........their loss.

It's recently come to light that EuroDisney has been charging different prices for different Nationalities, the difference being that is under investigation.

555555555555555555 Yes, they could see although wearing a motorbike helmet that she was not Thai. But EVERY other park we have been to we have had no problem. They just did not care.

I did walk, well ride away!

If they start charging me 10 X the price of a Thai, I will probably take a massive dump on the floor of their toilets, make em work for it! Greedy fools. Applying Western logic in this place can never apply, the way we Westerners (or at least me) used to look at it was, "Jesus are these people for real? They are going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg type of thing, they are hammering their income by overcharging scamming robbing the people that come here and spend money.

My personal opinion is that those in charge don't give a flying F$$K whether they lose income from foreigners in the least, they in many cases hate us and are embarrassed that they are not on the same social level as Western countries.

In a lot of ways, they would probably be happier if we all just left.

And given the current political situation, when they kick out all of the foreigners, they would be pretty happy to just behave like the Khmer Rouge, all of the peasants in their minds would be sent for re education or death camps. The problem as far as I see it is that they cannot quite balance the cash, they need international help, but as soon as they became truly independent or able to break away, this place would make North Korea look like Butlins!

Take a massive dump on the floor? That's inside the facilities so you plan on paying for that? What exactly will this solve?

I sometimes dont get it. How many people on here complain about the Thai's not enforcing the law and when they do some foreigners still complain. OP both you and your gf are foreigners and should pay B 800, that is the law. I don't like double pricing either and thus stay away from any national park. But if I should ask for the Thai price I am putting pressure on the Thai official to break the law. Your assumption on your length of stay and you qualifying for the Thai price is funny. You can stay here for a 100 years and still not be a Thai and thus will still need to pay the foreign price. If other Asians get away with the Thai price goodluck to them.

I sometimes dont get it. How many people on here complain about the Thai's not enforcing the law and when they do some foreigners still complain. OP both you and your gf are foreigners and should pay B 800, that is the law. I don't like double pricing either and thus stay away from any national park. But if I should ask for the Thai price I am putting pressure on the Thai official to break the law. Your assumption on your length of stay and you qualifying for the Thai price is funny. You can stay here for a 100 years and still not be a Thai and thus will still need to pay the foreign price. If other Asians get away with the Thai price goodluck to them.

Laws have no magic quality to them merely because they are laws. Humans attain no perfection by becoming lawmakers, they merely force others to suffer for their errors. When these errors are laws they are exacerbated by the apparatus of state like inept climbing causing an avalanche.

You have a mind to reason with. Use that reason to evaluate laws and determine whether they are worthy to be followed, tolerated as a necessity or spat upon as a travesty.

I strongly dislike the double pricing myself and will not go to places that charge foreigners more.

But, what strikes me as odd about your post is that you and your GF are both foreigners, yet you would be willing to cheat and pay the Thai price for her since she looks Asian, and you think since you have been here a long time you should pay the price for nationals as well.

Wrong, if people are cheating you, then you cheat them back, the same applies everywhere.

I disagree.

Sometimes by doing the right thing, you show people that what they have done is wrong, and they may learn from it.

Using your method, eventually, everyone is cheating and dishonest.

Where will we be then?

Two wrongs do not make a right!

But three lefts do make a right!cheesy.gif

post-147745-0-18040400-1438671512_thumb.

If they start charging me 10 X the price of a Thai, I will probably take a massive dump on the floor of their toilets, make em work for it! Greedy fools. Applying Western logic in this place can never apply, the way we Westerners (or at least me) used to look at it was, "Jesus are these people for real? They are going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg type of thing, they are hammering their income by overcharging scamming robbing the people that come here and spend money.

My personal opinion is that those in charge don't give a flying F$$K whether they lose income from foreigners in the least, they in many cases hate us and are embarrassed that they are not on the same social level as Western countries.

And given the current political situation, when they kick out all of the foreigners, they would be pretty happy to just behave like the Khmer Rouge, all of the peasants in their minds would be sent for re education or death camps. The problem as far as I see it is that they cannot quite balance the cash, they need international help, but as soon as they became truly independent or able to break away, this place would make North Korea look like Butlins!

Take a massive dump on the floor? That's inside the facilities so you plan on paying for that? What exactly will this solve?

It won't solve anything. But it's what immature, little men do.

I'm really tired of the "double pricing in Europe too" nonsense.

First of all, in Europe it is exception, not rule.

The most common exception is this:

Locals get a reduced price for local musea or parks.

When I go to a museum in my home city I pay less than someone from a neighbouring city.

And my Thai wife gets the same price reduction, that I get. (and that inhabitants of neighbouring cities do not get).

One can argue about the merits of this double pricing, but at least it is applied in a fair and transparent way, and most definitely not based on racist prejudice.

Wrong, if people are cheating you, then you cheat them back, the same applies everywhere.

I disagree.

Sometimes by doing the right thing, you show people that what they have done is wrong, and they may learn from it.

Where will we be then?

And how often has it happened to you, that after you showed people they were doing wrong, they learned from it?

It won't solve anything. But it's what immature, little men do.

Indeed, it won't solve anything.

Neither will the stiff upper lip approach.

(and for some reason, I think that the massive dump was meant as a joke, do google "joke" please)

I disagree.

Where will we be then?

And how often has it happened to you, that after you showed people they were doing wrong, they learned from it?

In 62 years, too many times to count.

You should try it sometime.

Just Curious.........what price was on your Ticket?? I came up with that same situation in Kao Yai, my ticket said Forty Baht, I paid forty baht and drove away..........a guy came after me waving the ticket, saying '400 baht, 400 baht!!" he had drew another zero on the ticket price.............I just said "My Mi Tang, Pohm mai hai suka baht eek" He turned around and drove back to his desk.

Oh, sorry for the barroom Thai, thats the only way I know to say "No Way Jose, I aint paying a single baht more"

Now a poster says the Thai Govt has directed the 10 times the price tickets?? I would like to see an decree to that effect.wai2.gifwai2.gif

I'm really tired of the "double pricing in Europe too" nonsense.

First of all, in Europe it is exception, not rule.

The most common exception is this:

Locals get a reduced price for local musea or parks.

When I go to a museum in my home city I pay less than someone from a neighbouring city.

And my Thai wife gets the same price reduction, that I get. (and that inhabitants of neighbouring cities do not get).

One can argue about the merits of this double pricing, but at least it is applied in a fair and transparent way, and most definitely not based on racist prejudice.

So what countries are these?? Just so I know which ones to stay away from, I'll spend my money elsewhere. But, most places in the US have a Senior Citizen or US Military or Veteran reduction in prices, I can ride any buss going anywhere on Oahu for $30 a month with my Senior Citizen discount, so maybe I am guilty as well.........

Just Curious.........what price was on your Ticket?? I came up with that same situation in Kao Yai, my ticket said Forty Baht, I paid forty baht and drove away..........a guy came after me waving the ticket, saying '400 baht, 400 baht!!" he had drew another zero on the ticket price.............I just said "My Mi Tang, Pohm mai hai suka baht eek" He turned around and drove back to his desk.

Oh, sorry for the barroom Thai, thats the only way I know to say "No Way Jose, I aint paying a single baht more"

Now a poster says the Thai Govt has directed the 10 times the price tickets?? I would like to see an decree to that effect.wai2.gifwai2.gif

https://www.thainationalparks.com/posts/new-national-park-entrance-fees-announced

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2015/02/thai-parks-more-expensive/

TIT and will never change. They still think all farangs are super rich, even the expats.

A few months ago a Thai sitdown and take-away restaurant lost me forever.

I always paid 50 baht for a very good "laab moo", that time they wanted 80 baht, NEW owner.

I explained I live here and always pay 50 and come to eat or take-away several times a week. No Joy.

Now he can see me almost daily shopping at 7-11 across the road and eating/ordering Thai food at the restaurant next door for 40-60 meals (good quality with real meat and veggies).

They don't have "laab moo" but well I got a bike and get it 2 roads down when I want it.

Of course I always greet and say hello, when ever I walk past my old rip-off restaurant.

Thats the best part of living in a small place - you can rub is/her nose in it any time you like, but I doubt they will ever 'admit' they screwed up by trying to 'screw' the fahlung out of 30 baht........I often drop a tip to every meal I eat when they charge me the same as locals.

Sorry, I also tip taxi drivers that turn on their meters without me asking.wai2.gif

Archived