Thai baht may drop further this week

webfact

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Won't effect the Europeans or the British expats as currencies there are still weak. Those using USD will only benefit.

I didn't realise the £ was weak. Maybe not the strength it was but it's getting stronger and stronger against the baht.

In 2013 it dropped down to almost 42 to the £, during the protests and then coup it went to 55, checking right now it's at 54.8. Baht has consistently been getting weaker against the £ for the past few months after being stable around 50.

I cried at 42.

You cried at 42, try the Ozzie dollar round 24.5, has dropped from a high of 32 18 months ago. While we lose, there's someone out there making a killing out of our misery.

the ausy and kiwi are not getting much better to the bhat all smoke and mirrows

I think it's more a case of each country has it's own individual strengths and weaknesses against the USD... For example: With Australia being so dependent upon natural resources for it's economy, and the global price of these commodities falling to recent lows, the AUD is falling relative to the USD and it's a different case for each country. I am of course certain that big players mess around with smoke and mirrors as you say, but I think there are fundamentally bigger forces at work!

Won't effect the Europeans or the British expats as currencies there are still weak. Those using USD will only benefit.

Not strictly true. The Euro is weak due to the Greece debacle. UK currently has the world's fastest growing economy and the £ is actually strong at this time against a basket of currencies. Last week it set a new 52 week high against the THB.

You are probably confusing weakness in one currency with strength in another instead of comparing against a basket.

A bit like confusing a billion with a thousand million really.

Edit: Today's wholesale mid price from BBC.co.uk GBP/THB 52wk low 47.62 03/08/2015 54.78

Date written in English, not American.

Edited by hugh2121

Grateful the U.S. elected a President capable of getting the U.S. economy back on track after it was damaged so much by the Cheney administration.

I got a pay raise last week, and probably another next week

Thank you Mr. President!.

by far this is the weakest prez ever .....you have no idea of what this twit is doing , the dollar is strong despite all his leftist commie leanings . the usa is in debt 18 trillion . the baht should be around 45-48 per us dollar but our prez spends money that is not there , we have to print or borrow . you should read a little more about the economy before you start the praises .

Yeah..the USA needs another strong president, like George W. Bush was. A guy who thinks with his gut and doesn't need to read books. (LOL)

He can read?

Grateful the U.S. elected a President capable of getting the U.S. economy back on track after it was damaged so much by the Cheney administration.

by far this is the weakest prez ever .....you have no idea of what this twit is doing , the dollar is strong despite all his leftist commie leanings . the usa is in debt 18 trillion . the baht should be around 45-48 per us dollar but our prez spends money that is not there , we have to print or borrow . you should read a little more about the economy before you start the praises .

Yeah..the USA needs another strong president, like George W. Bush was. A guy who thinks with his gut and doesn't need to read books. (LOL)

He can read?

just colouring books ,him and Blair used to do them together

There sure are some stupid peoples out there.... of course good for the UK pound..... now almost up 10% this time last year...thumbsup.gif

Incorrect. We're already seeing shoring up of some currencies against the THB whist falling against the USD.

It goes where it goes. Weaker in theory is better for me. Rejoicing? Not really. Cause and effect. I work next year out on a 50 to the pound basis. Extra is a bonus.

That's because you cannot count in fractions... and God willing it will be 60bahts to one pound by Christmas... so if you wanna give me the extra 10 bahts I will not complain... You only want 50..... right..? One word comes to mind..?clap2.gif ....

How do you work that out ? We are talking about the baht weakening ? It's doing that against sterling as well.

What you think exchange rates just depend on one country ?

The weakening baht is not effecting the currencies I mentioned as the EU in particular has weekend due to the Greek crisis for example. The EURO is very weak, and therefore any subtile change in the Thai baht will not favour the exchange rate in terms of the EURO.

This time last year the EURO to the THB was 43 now it's 38.

It goes where it goes. Weaker in theory is better for me. Rejoicing? Not really. Cause and effect. I work next year out on a 50 to the pound basis. Extra is a bonus.

That's because you cannot count in fractions... and God willing it will be 60bahts to one pound by Christmas... so if you wanna give me the extra 10 bahts I will not complain... You only want 50..... right..? One word comes to mind..?clap2.gif ....

I would love 75. All I said was that I like to calculate my financial needs at a certain exchange rate. The weaker it gets the the cheaper it is for me. Since I have been here it has ranged from 33 baht a pound all the way up to I believe 90. Unfortunately had no pounds at the 90 level.

Why say it drops.?. It's just returning from its over valued stated to its true value.

You mean the USD has been undervalued since it had the largest recession since the great depression.

I don't understand why anyone believes that control of the value of the baht v usd sits in the hands of the BOT instead of the Fed.

I'm not going to Praise or Knock him - the proof is in the pudding, I am getting more for my Dollar today that I did yesterday - grassroots economics. Thats all it has ever been about. Not speculation on what you percieve what the Baht should be, I say Gold should be back down to around $800 an ounce to be fair, but who am I??

I'm not going to Praise or Knock him - the proof is in the pudding, I am getting more for my Dollar today that I did yesterday - grassroots economics. Thats all it has ever been about. Not speculation on what you percieve what the Baht should be, I say Gold should be back down to around $800 an ounce to be fair, but who am I??
If rates in the USA go up, it probably will. As for the poster higher up the thread, as for a president who spends money which isn't there, name the president who mailed everyone a rebate check a few years ago and borrowed gargantuan amounts when if nothing had changed the USA was heading for a balanced budget? Edited by Thai at Heart

How do you work that out ? We are talking about the baht weakening ? It's doing that against sterling as well.

The weakening baht is not effecting the currencies I mentioned as the EU in particular has weekend due to the Greek crisis for example. The EURO is very weak, and therefore any subtile change in the Thai baht will not favour the exchange rate in terms of the EURO.

And the connection to the Euro with the British expats you mentioned is ? judging by the comments your reply attracted I think you should sell your spade as the hole is getting bigger.

So you think that THB/GBP is weakening because of factors other than THB weakening, that's a neat concept, like what for example?

Seems over the last month or two everyone is infatuated with the Baht exchange rate. Forum has a link dedicated to it. Headlines of Thai Baht fluctuating. Hasn't it always? British, depending which currency I would like to watch wild fluctuations over the years. Aussies at work used to laugh at us due to exchange rates. Not quite as happy now. 5 years time may all reverse again.

I just can't win...got a wad full of Thai baht to change over and now this happens.

With my luck at the moment if I fell into a bucket of tits I'd come up sucking my thumb!!saai.gif

Have to laugh. Whenever I transfer pounds over here the rate always goes down.

All this talk about the relative merits or otherwise of the US dollar, pound, euro, Mongolian groat, or whatever, should not distract away from the simple contention that the baht has been overvalued for a long time, and looks set for a steep fall due to a number of absolute facts.

According to The Economist Big Mac index, it is 36% undervalued against the US dollar (if you take that particular measure seriously).

All this talk about the relative merits or otherwise of the US dollar, pound, euro, Mongolian groat, or whatever, should not distract away from the simple contention that the baht has been overvalued for a long time, and looks set for a steep fall due to a number of absolute facts.

Who says? You? So? I've not seen any reports that the Thai baht is overvalued by much. Perhaps you could link some.

Who says so ? Well the markets for one! Given it is actually declining you might want to make a case why it shouldn't.

You really, really, have no idea what you're talking about. How about run back home to mommy.

Rubbish. The GBP is strengthening and will continue to do so on the announcement of an imminent rate rise. intheclub.gif

The "immiment" rate rises have been touted for over a year now. I only recall the US requirement which I believe was unemployment under 8%. Been below that for a long time. Fed is wishy washy on the subject. Similar to the rainy season will start next week.

Rubbish. The GBP is strengthening and will continue to do so on the announcement of an imminent rate rise. intheclub.gif

That "imminent" rate hike has been coming for almost a year and is already well built into the value of Sterling.

EDIT: sorry, didn't see the previous post, regardless, it still stands.

Edited by chiang mai

According to The Economist Big Mac index, it is 36% undervalued against the US dollar (if you take that particular measure seriously).

It is as good a theoretical measure as any. In the long run, it will eventually reflect this value