Solicitor/immigration have lost my passport - any suggestions?

Sally83

Hi all,

please can anyone offer helpful solutions to this mess?

Gave my passport to a solicitor so he could arrange my "B" visa, he sent it to Phuket Immigration. There was a problem with the staff employment registries, so got that all sorted. (without his help, I may add) Which took a few weeks for the right paperwork to get to me, dropped it all off at his office he said max 4 weeks my passport and visa would be back.

Waited patiently, no news.

Went to see him, and got told that Immigration has misplaced my passport.

They are looking for it!

2 more weeks have passed and still no sign of my passport.

• Anyone got any advice?
  • Do I storm immigration and demand my passport back? (I have the name of the immigration officer dealing with it)
  • Do I wait longer in the hopes it will turn up?
  • Cancel it, go to Bangkok and pay for a replacement?

I know Thais don't like it when you raise your voice, but I'm finding it harder and harder to stay calm around my solicitor.

Thanks, please only sensible comments, I'm upset enough over this.

Sally

You don't 'storm' Immigration. If you know the officer's name then the very first thing you should do is have a quiet word with him in a respectful manner and find out who actually has the passport.

I've know cases like this where solicitor's have been grossly negligent in dealing with visa applications, so this first thing to do is find out the story from a third party, like the Immigration officer.

Edited by LivinginKata

I would do as suggested and talk to the immigration officer first but most likely you will be needing to get a replacement passport cause once lost in the mess things don't suddenly appear.You will be told it will turn up cause no one wants to admit they lost youre passport.

There is also the concern for youre identity someone could already have youre passport and that has happened before.If I were you and getting to Bangkok is not beyond youre ability I would waste no more time with this and get a replacement asap.it would be a hastle but its youre passport you are talking about.

good luck

^

Your embassy would demand more details about how your passport was lost, a police report would likely be required. If it's really the solicitor holding the passport then just file a police report and let the police deal with him direct. If the passport is really lost (I doubt it) then you are armed to apply for a replacement passport.

Edited by LivinginKata

The solicitor is effectively working on your behalf and under certain jurisdictions should be responsible for any possessions you hand to him, therefore if your passport is lost then it could be his responsibility to pay for a replacement, whether it's been lost by him or immigration.

But this is Thailand; things are different and if you ask the solicitor to pay all of your out of pocket expenses you will probably be greeted with that famous Thai smile and told to b@gger off!

@ stevenl and LIK

I agree the Embassy will take no action, but how long do you give them to produce the passport before the only option is to go to the Embassy and apply for a new passport????

I don't think it would hurt to prepare for the worse, and make contact with the Embassy for information about the procedure, costs and time frames.

Edited by NamKangMan

it is smelling a crook has owned your passport. In my opinion, if i were you, go immediately to file a police report against the guy who stolen/lost your passport. with the police report in hands go to your embassy and ask for a passport replacement. I do not believe it is the case to go to the immigration, most likely the immigration officers never heard about your passport.

Hallo

1. You cannot apply for a replacement passport without an official Police report of its loss.

2. I would first go to see the local lawyer and tell him you have been advised by an English lawyer it is your obligation to file a report that your passport is missing. So if he can't find it within 48hours that is the course of action you are obliged to take. Technically your passport is the property of the crown.

3. Then if no passport is forthcoming I would go to your local Immigration office and explain what has happened. Do you have a copy of your passport showing your current visa stamp and identity page ? If so take it with you when you visit. Request a Police Report of its loss.

4. OR An alternative is to report the loss to your local police station. Request a Police Report of its loss.

5. Either the Immigration Police or local police will indubitably contact the lawyer.

6. Be aware once you report your passport as lost or stolen to https://www.gov.uk/browse/abroad/passports it will immediately be cancelled and you will have the expense of applying for a replacement, even if it subsequently reappears. https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Best of luck, (fyi am a retired English solicitor)

Edited by cosmosis

Hallo

1. You cannot apply for a replacement passport without an official Police report of its loss.

2. I would first go to see the local lawyer and tell him you have been advised by an English lawyer it is your obligation to file a report that your passport is missing. So if he can't find it within 48hours that is the course of action you are obliged to take. Technically your passport is the property of the crown.

3. Then if no passport is forthcoming I would go to your local Immigration office and explain what has happened. Do you have a copy of your passport showing your current visa stamp and identity page ? If so take it with you when you visit. Request a Police Report of its loss.

4. OR An alternative is to report the loss to your local police station. Request a Police Report of its loss.

5. Either the Immigration Police or local police will indubitably contact the lawyer.

6. Be aware once you report your passport as lost or stolen to https://www.gov.uk/browse/abroad/passports it will immediately be cancelled and you will have the expense of applying for a replacement, even if it subsequently reappears. https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Best of luck, (fyi am a retired English solicitor)

If you have the name of the Immigration Officer then after following above advice it should be no problem apart from the inconvenience and inevitable cost.

And if urgent travel is required after the confirmation your passport is permanently "lost" your Embassy should be able to arrange a travel document out and for arrival in home country.

That does not apply to expired Passports.

Contact your embassy. The embassy won't 'play around'; and until you do, you'll probably get the 'run around'.

Embassy can't and won't do anything.

I find this hard to believe that a consulate would not at least issue a temp over an issue like this. They'd expect one of their citizens to walk around a foreign land knowing they don't have a p/p? If one has a receipt of the transaction or a report then I feel one's consulate would assist.

Contact your embassy. The embassy won't 'play around'; and until you do, you'll probably get the 'run around'.

Embassy can't and won't do anything.

I find this hard to believe that a consulate would not at least issue a temp over an issue like this. They'd expect one of their citizens to walk around a foreign land knowing they don't have a p/p? If one has a receipt of the transaction or a report then I feel one's consulate would assist.
Please look at the post I made the reply to.

If course embassy will help, but first police report is required for that. When in possession of that a new or if required temporary passport can be issued.

But that is different from the claim made by the poster I replied to.

^

Your embassy would demand more details about how your passport was lost, a police report would likely be required. If it's really the solicitor holding the passport then just file a police report and let the police deal with him direct. If the passport is really lost (I doubt it) then you are armed to apply for a replacement passport.

Not to mention that using a "Facilitator" (solicitor??) for your Visa is considered Illegal, you may have some explaining to do...........You're embassy has no choice, they have to issue you another passport, or at least travel documents to 'facilitate' your return to your native country

^

Not to mention that using a "Facilitator" (solicitor??) for your Visa is considered Illegal, you may have some explaining to do...........You're embassy has no choice, they have to issue you another passport, or at least travel documents to 'facilitate' your return to your native country

Since he is talking about doing his visa at immigration, I presume the op means the extension of stay. And nothing illegal about using a solicitor to arrange that.

Since he is talking about doing his visa at immigration, I presume the op means the extension of stay. And nothing illegal about using a solicitor to arrange that.

Quite honestly we have no idea about the details of the business visa application. Too many variables to know whether it was 'above board'. Possible it was an extension of stay based on a work permit. To me it sounded like only a Non Immigrant B visa that does not allow for any extension without the WP. Not sure how you could get only a new visa without leaving Thailand so I assume an extension.

OP does not say which country passport, so I have no idea how well a country embassy would handle a replacement. Likely only temporary travel documents would be provided.

A real problem for the OP if the original passport cannot be recovered. On the point of legalities ... foreign nationals must have a passport available at all times. Handing over a passport for an extended period time is not to be advised.

Edited by LivinginKata

Last paragraph of the T.M 7 form states "APPLICATION MUST BE MADE IN PERSON"

You're right, the intention is that people do it themselves. Immigration though does allow agents to be used for this.

You're right, the intention is that people do it themselves. Immigration though does allow agents to be used for this.

But the agent must at least have the applicant available in person for possible interview. Agent can do all the paperwork,running about, and waiting.

But we digress ... I wonder how the OP is progressing ??

Edited by LivinginKata

First,,, go see the immigration guy to see if "lost". Get him to make a note of your visa details (see below)

If so report to police, (get a written report) then off to your embassy.

The embassy can issue " A vitre de voyage " on the spot & depending on your embassy a new passport within 2 weeks

Then back to immigration for new stamps in passport (see first line)

Best of Luck & send the costs to the lawyer 555

But the agent must at least have the applicant available in person for possible interview. Agent can do all the paperwork,running about, and waiting.

Unfortunately not so!

My mate got his Non Imm O and Extension issued using Siam Legal within 2 days.

He never went near an Immigration Office.

Amazing how these agents can circumvent the system.........for big fees........and corrupt officials.

Doesn't state 'which' person though! Applicant, Agent, Lawyer?

Unfortunately not so!

Amazing how these agents can circumvent the system.........for big fees........and corrupt officials.

Non O and extension based on what? And, why would he need an extension if he just got the non O?

Unfortunately not so!

Oddly enough in my years of extenions both marriage and retirement I have never used an agent.

Last month I renewed my retirement extension in about 1 1/2 hours plus 2 hours travelling each way.

No agent or big fees and no corrupt officials though I did give all the ladies there 2 packets of Ferrero Rocher chocolates each as a thank you gift.

So easy in Nakhon Sawan Immigration office.

Unfortunately not so!

Oddly enough in my years of extenions both marriage and retirement I have never used an agent.

Last month I renewed my retirement extension in about 1 1/2 hours plus 2 hours travelling each way.

No agent or big fees and no corrupt officials though I did give all the ladies there 2 packets of Ferrero Rocher chocolates each as a thank you gift.

So easy in Nakhon Sawan Immigration office.

"Last month I renewed my retirement extension in about 1 1/2 hours plus 2 hours travelling each way." - I would think some people may have better things to do with their 5 and 1/2 hours than to travel to, and wait at, a Thai immigration office.

Edited by NamKangMan

• 4 weeks later...