How does the Ark Bar continue to get away with their excessive noise pollution?

WRONG ! Best bar on the island by far is Billabong Bar in Lamai, with 50 stunning dancers at any one time in skimpy outfits that are changed colour and style daily ! Ark Bar blleeaagghh !!!!

Only becase 'best bar' closed eight years ago.???

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is now an every night thing again. For awhile it was occasional. Now, every night past about 9pm, one can hear their music blaring incessantly, until 2am. They are an unbelievable blight on the face of Samui. A boil on the skin of the island. A pestilence tearing at the very fabric of the island. And nobody does anything. Mayor Ramnate, are you sleeping at the wheel, once again? What important business are you attending to, anyway? Five star hotels are suffering, and you are doing what, exactly?

jeez mate, lighten up. you should go down there and have a few beers its a great night out, best bar on samui

WRONG ! Best bar on the island by far is Billabong Bar in Lamai, with 50 stunning dancers at any one time in skimpy outfits that are changed colour and style daily ! Ark Bar blleeaagghh !!!!

Virtually any bar on Samui, is better than the broken down, completely lacking in character, community averse, kiddie bar, known as the Ark Bar. It is a disneyland for 18 year old Australians, who are ok with a permanent case of tinnitus, for the rest of their lives. Overpriced food, that is not as good as Carls Jr., overpriced drinks, and crowded with kids. No thanks. Would rather stay home. Far more interesting.

It is now an every night thing again. For awhile it was occasional. Now, every night past about 9pm, one can hear their music blaring incessantly, until 2am. They are an unbelievable blight on the face of Samui. A boil on the skin of the island. A pestilence tearing at the very fabric of the island. And nobody does anything. Mayor Ramnate, are you sleeping at the wheel, once again? What important business are you attending to, anyway? Five star hotels are suffering, and you are doing what, exactly?

jeez mate, lighten up. you should go down there and have a few beers its a great night out, best bar on samui

Off topic, but LOLOLOLOL to stunning dancers at Billabong.

All you ever get at Billabong are 6ft ladymen, gays, and fat girls....and cashiers who try to overcharge and shortchange you.

A few years ago it used to be good, very good. But these days its like a house of horrors.

Anyway, carry on.......

Off topic, but LOLOLOLOL to stunning dancers at Billabong.

All you ever get at Billabong are 6ft ladymen, gays, and fat girls....and cashiers who try to overcharge and shortchange you.

A few years ago it used to be good, very good. But these days its like a house of horrors.

Anyway, carry on.......

I sort of agree. Not my thing. Once in a while i see a very attractive gal, but why would they hire so many ladyboys? But, anyplace is better than the Adominable Ark Bar. They continue to rain terror on Samui daily. What completely irresponsible citizens they are.

I sort of agree. Not my thing. Once in a while i see a very attractive gal, but why would they hire so many ladyboys? But, anyplace is better than the Adominable Ark Bar. They continue to rain terror on Samui daily. What completely irresponsible citizens they are.

yeah but they are not though are they?! YOU just don't like them because you made a bad mistake moving to a party island when you value peace and quiet so highly and they are keeping you awake at night (boo hoo).

man up, accept your mistake and move on, no one likes a whiney ass trying to spoil everyone else's fun. you say ark bar is crap but it's probably the busiest bar in chaweng if not the whole of samui. they have built an empire for <deleted> sake with multiple bars, pools and hotel blocks while the owner is driving around in a lamborghini.

have you ever considered the reason it is allowed to carry on is because (shocker) its good for the island?? lets face it if it was really causing a widespread problem and not just rubbing a few victor meldrews up the wrong way it would be shut down in a heartbeat.

they have single handedly revitalised the 20-30 year old demographic and made samui (chaweng especially) the place to be again.

and i say well done. well, well done.

yeah but they are not though are they?! YOU just don't like them because you made a bad mistake moving to a party island when you value peace and quiet so highly and they are keeping you awake at night (boo hoo).

man up, accept your mistake and move on, no one likes a whiney ass trying to spoil everyone else's fun. you say ark bar is crap but it's probably the busiest bar in chaweng if not the whole of samui. they have built an empire for f*cks sake with multiple bars, pools and hotel blocks while the owner is driving around in a lamborghini.

have you ever considered the reason it is allowed to carry on is because (shocker) its good for the island?? lets face it if it was really causing a widespread problem and not just rubbing a few victor meldrews up the wrong way it would be shut down in a heartbeat.

they have single handedly revitalised the 20-30 year old demographic and made samui (chaweng especially) the place to be again.

Thanks for your concern. I am thrilled to report I have left Samui, after spending 10 years there. On the mainland in a very quiet and peaceful area, thank you very much. It is a huge relief to not have my brain pounded by the noise pollution of the abominable ark bar, on a nightly basis. Please enjoy. To each, their own, as they like to say.

man up, accept your mistake and move on, no one likes a whiney ass trying to spoil everyone else's fun. you say ark bar is crap but it's probably the busiest bar in chaweng if not the whole of samui. they have built an empire for f*cks sake with multiple bars, pools and hotel blocks while the owner is driving around in a lamborghini.

Samui party island. Sure it is, Samui is made of other people besides the backpackers, drunks & so on. How many people have invested millions of Baht here? You are just an example of the irresponsible, probably illeterate drunk that live the short time dream. Wake up , life is about respect & not just self gratification as you describe it.

I would really like to see what is your financial commitment to Samui. You sound like a silly manager of the topic at hand. Silly yes because your posts just display your mental aptitude. Go & have another drink & a joint & leave other people at peace.

As for your comment, good for the island. Really ? Good for whom ? Linning people's pockets? Graft & corruption? You wouldn't have a clue my friend. Stop your postings as they really show your mental capabilities.rolleyes.gif

Edited by Rooo

Samui party island. Sure it is, Samui is made of other people besides the backpackers, drunks & so on. How many people have invested millions of Baht here? You are just an example of the irresponsible, probably illeterate drunk that live the short time dream. Wake up , life is about respect & not just self gratification as you describe it.

I would really like to see what is your financial commitment to Samui. You sound like a silly manager of the topic at hand. Silly yes because your posts just display your mental aptitude. Go & have another drink & a joint & leave other people at peace.

As for your comment, good for the island. Really ? Good for whom ? Linning people's pockets? Graft & corruption? You wouldn't have a clue my friend. Stop your postings as they really show your mental capabilities.rolleyes.gif

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif well said Rooo! clap2.gif

Cold singha is wrong again. It has nothing to do with being good for the island. It constitutes torture for thousands of hotel guests within a 3 km. stretch south of the abomination bar, on a nightly basis, as well as hundreds of villa owners and guests who rent those villas up on the hills, where the noise is loud and clear. Why is it allowed to continue? Cash. Cash, and more cash. Not profit mind you. But payouts, combined with a very lazy mayor, an ineffective provincial governor, and zero enforcement of article 44 on the part of the army, with regard to the forgotten island of samui. To even consider that it is because it is good for the island is astonishing. Edited by spidermike007

no one gives a flying &lt;deleted&gt; if you spent 2 million baht on a villa Rooo and it doesnt change any of my points if i invested the same or 200 million the OP is still butthurt because he made a bad investment decision and quite frankly you sound just as butthurt LOL

This answer cements my thoughts of you, Very well educated, sober, law abiding citizen & a great oracle. Have a great day.

People are allowed to have different opinions than you, and shouldn't expect personal attacks in response.

Also, if you are going to accuse other people of being illiterate, you should first learn to spell it correctly.

Modern computers even have a handy feature nowadays that tells you when you have misspelled a word. It's quite unbelievable that you can still spell so badly in spite of this feature.

And you are laughably attacking the "mental capabilities" of others while clearly struggling with your native language. Your own post contains multiple spelling errors. The poster you quoted and denigrated quite obviously possesses a greater command of the English language than you yourself do. You plainly have a somewhat deluded view of your own intelligence.

Thank you Sir / Madam. Secondly English is my FOURTH language.Plus I can't see any spelling mistakes in my post.rolleyes.gif

Edited by Rooo

Thank you Sir / Madam. Secondly English is my FOURTH language.Plus I can't see any spelling mistakes in my post.rolleyes.gif

Then you shouldn't be calling other people "illeterate".

Also, it's just generally stupid to have one of the mods on a board concerning a tourist island to personally attack anyone who is remotely in favour of tourism businesses and operators. If you don't like noise, don't live near Chaweng. Places like the Ark Bar are vital to the economy of Samui. If you want to live on an uninhabited island, there are plenty of those around. But if you want to benefit from the infrastructure and money that tourism brings, then it's utterly ridiculous to complain about the major tourist attractions that make it happen.

Edited by bilboinnit

Also, it's just generally stupid to have one of the mods on a board concerning a tourist island to personally attack anyone who is remotely in favour of tourism businesses and operators. If you don't like noise, don't live near Chaweng. Places like the Ark Bar are vital to the economy of Samui. If you want to live on an uninhabited island, there are plenty of those around. But if you want to benefit from the infrastructure and money that tourism brings, then it's utterly ridiculous to complain about the major tourist attractions that make it happen.

clap2.gif

There is a big difference between a tourist attraction and an outlaw bar (they would not be open if they were not lining a lot of pockets, since there are noise laws on Samui which they break on a daily basis). They are a thug on the island. They annoy thousands. I am not the only one. There have been hundreds of complaints. The authorities do nothing. We are not asking that they close. We are only asking that they respect the limits of noise. They are single handedly the most heinous offenders on the island. They make me thankful on a daily basis that I left Samui.

To call Samui a party island is way overstated. Even Chaweng is not a party beach. Actually there are only a handful bars on the 6 km long beach, just one bar on busy beach road, the short Soi Green Mango, and Soi Reggea in the back, some local Singasong pubs in the back.

The character of Chaweng is much more a perfect mixture of nice sand, sea, seafood, countless restaurants and nice food markets, a bit shopping and entertainment. Almost all hotels are right on the beach and there is no better sand and water quality than there.

To call Samui a party island is way overstated. Even Chaweng is not a party beach. Actually there are only a handful bars on the 6 km long beach, just one bar on busy beach road, the short Soi Green Mango, and Soi Reggea in the back, some local Singasong pubs in the back.

The character of Chaweng is much more a perfect mixture of nice sand, sea, seafood, countless restaurants and nice food markets, a bit shopping and entertainment. Almost all hotels are right on the beach and there is no better sand and water quality than there.

I agree with everything you say Birdman !, wink.png ....... except saying, that there is "no better sand or water quality".... There are a number of beaches with good sand and water around the island! .... but we'll keep them a secret...... whistling.giftongue.png

...it is time to move on. The issues and problems of Samui have become too much for me, and I am happy to move on. The incessant construction, the traffic, the jaded locals, the lack of law and order, the lack of traffic safety, the ridiculously overpriced food, the road maniacs, will all be left behind, gladly. Will stay in Thailand for sure. But, Samui is not the same island I moved to ten years ago, and it has lost a lot of it's magic, at least for me. As Shakespeare would have said, a plague on the owners and managers of the Ark Bar.

Try Khanom... nice and quite and your only a short hop to Samui!

Its just a shame with the noise, since Ark Bar is a really nice place and really good food. Problem for us is that we cant chat to each other anymore when we go there, just to hang out.

I wish they will go back to some nights with less noise guitar.gif

Agree - have a number of friends who won't go there for dinner because of the loud music - they should be little laid back on high volume till after dinner time, say 10pm, they'll probably gain more business than they'll loose due to low-sound-pressure-level early evening...

...it is time to move on. The issues and problems of Samui have become too much for me, and I am happy to move on. The incessant construction, the traffic, the jaded locals, the lack of law and order, the lack of traffic safety, the ridiculously overpriced food, the road maniacs, will all be left behind, gladly. Will stay in Thailand for sure. But, Samui is not the same island I moved to ten years ago, and it has lost a lot of it's magic, at least for me. As Shakespeare would have said, a plague on the owners and managers of the Ark Bar.

Too quiet. I have decided a small town on the mainland on the coast is ideal. Khanom is too undeveloped. And I no longer even want to be a short hop from Samui. The place has simply lost its magic for me. Nobody is working hard enough to improve Samui. I hear the giant sound of a hoover vacuum coming from that island. Suck, suck, suck. All about the money. The lack of local pride is both astonishing and shameful. The mayor is a comical character. A true non visionary. It feels as if the Samui motto, coming from the "so called leaders", the top families and the local business community could be "take as much money from the island as you can, and put as little back, as you can get away with". Total disregard for the local population and near total disregard for the tourists. An absolute and total lack of pride, on the part of the Samui mayor and the Surat governor. In the ten years I lived there, other than a little road and sewer work, the island did not improve. So much could have been done, that was not done if they had effective local leadership. Local festivals, clean up campaigns, environmental campaigns, some culture, a municipal water treatment facility, desalination, mass transit, etc. Such a shame. Such a beautiful island that is being disregarded, in such a heinous and callous manner. Edited by spidermike007

Its just a shame with the noise, since Ark Bar is a really nice place and really good food. Problem for us is that we cant chat to each other anymore when we go there, just to hang out.

I wish they will go back to some nights with less noise guitar.gif

Agree - have a number of friends who won't go there for dinner because of the loud music - they should be little laid back on high volume till after dinner time, say 10pm, they'll probably gain more business than they'll loose due to low-sound-pressure-level early evening...

But that would be the manifestation of creativity and intelligence. Something the owner and manager Ken are incapable of.

Too quiet. I have decided a small town on the mainland on the coast is ideal. Khanom is too undeveloped...

What options are you considering?

Too quiet. I have decided a small town on the mainland on the coast is ideal. Khanom is too undeveloped...
What options are you considering?

The entire coastline between ban saphan noi and just north of Prachuap city in PKK province, is amazing. About a 125 km. stretch of the best beaches on the Gulf, by far. Super clean, well run, locals have tremendous pride, and maintain their area to an immaculate degree (so refreshing after years on Samui). And they actually enjoy seeing foreigners, since they see relatively few, plus the water and beaches are immaculate, and the area is inexpensive. Plus alot of national parks, a way better climate than Samui (less heat and humidity, and more rain) easier access to many great mainland spots, etc. I could go on for days. Just getting away from the Bangkok Air monopoly alone was worth the move! And they have some law enforcement! Check it out.

What a surprise, a negative thread about ARKbar posted by my old friend "spidermike007".
I am the previous manager of ARKbar that the always neutral and positive moderator, "Roo", referred to in an earlier comment.
I am not posting today to defend ARKbar at all. Some of what has been said here is accurate, the majority is not. Any normal individual will have a fair idea of what is true and what is fabrication or exaggeration.
Rather, I am going to question the credibility of the person who has started yet another thread and negative topic about ARKbar, spidermike007.
Spidermike007 previously took photos of rubbish scattered in various parts of Chaweng and posted them as far and as wide as he could on the internet, claiming it to be caused by and/or inside ARKbar.
Tripadvisor was one of the websites that he posted these photos. I contacted tripadvisor and sent them photos of the same locations that spidermike007 was claiming to be ARKbar. With this geographical proof and following a solicitors letter, these fraudulent photos were removed, and spidermike007 went underground for a while.
I am asking spidermike007 to come clean and admit his actions and to apologise to all of the people that he has been misleading on Thai Visa.
Perhaps spidermike007 will reveal his true motives for his targeting of ARkbar.

Must say I very nearly commented earlier on in the thread that there appeared to be a distinct lack of other complainants popping there head up with specific reference to being personally affected in their residences due to noise pollution from the Ark bar.

Surprising, given the usual propensity for people to complain on TV, the population density of Chaweng, and the 5km range the OP describes - that's all of Chaweng and beyond.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

What a surprise, a negative thread about ARKbar posted by my old friend "spidermike007".

I am the previous manager of ARKbar that the always neutral and positive moderator, "Roo", referred to in an earlier comment.

I am not posting today to defend ARKbar at all. Some of what has been said here is accurate, the majority is not. Any normal individual will have a fair idea of what is true and what is fabrication or exaggeration.

Rather, I am going to question the credibility of the person who has started yet another thread and negative topic about ARKbar, spidermike007.

Spidermike007 previously took photos of rubbish scattered in various parts of Chaweng and posted them as far and as wide as he could on the internet, claiming it to be caused by and/or inside ARKbar.

Tripadvisor was one of the websites that he posted these photos. I contacted tripadvisor and sent them photos of the same locations that spidermike007 was claiming to be ARKbar. With this geographical proof and following a solicitors letter, these fraudulent photos were removed, and spidermike007 went underground for a while.

I am asking spidermike007 to come clean and admit his actions and to apologise to all of the people that he has been misleading on Thai Visa.

Perhaps spidermike007 will reveal his true motives for his targeting of ARkbar.

I would be happy to reveal my true motives. I lived in a villa on a hillside up near Sandalwood for seven years. We faced out to the sea. Out of the seven years, we might have had a few quiet months. We were terrorized by the Abominable Ark Bar for all of that time. The noise was horrendous. I remember some of our conversations while you were still there. You were kind and courteous, and seemed genuinely concerned. Your replacement Ken is a hooligan, dressed in sheets clothes. After multiple complaints and phone calls he actually came out to our house one night. He stood there listening to the blaring music, looked me in the eye, and said that is not coming from the Ark Bar. I said why don't you call the DJ to confirm this is his song, and he did that. He was quite embarrassed when he heard that same song in the background, and he did not know what to say. Except, we will check out the speakers and see if there is something we can do. He did nothing, as he is not a man of action, only words, nor does he have one iota of concern for the community on Samui. It is all about the cash. I know of a multi million dollar resort that close by, that will be closing this year, if their campaign against the Ark Bar is not a success, as their guests keep checking out at a pace that he cannot keep up with. He is losing money due to the lack of regard that nasty vermins nest is displaying again, and again.

If we are going to have a dialogue about the Ark Bar, please keep this truthful. That mention of Ark Bar trash posted by me is utter drivel and a complete fabrication. Yes, I have posted negative reviews on trip advisor. That is the least these cockroaches who operate this place deserve. The misery they rain upon that island is astonishing,