Local cop made an offer, amazing.

krisb

So I'm a regular at a bar/restaurant/ hotel in Issan.

Nice place, great food, then around 8pm the restaurant becomes a karaoke bar. Mostly locals if not all except for the odd out of towner like myself.

I'd met this guy several times, friendly hello's, usual chit chat.

So last night he's in there again. This time he brought our table a round of beers, which ok, that's fine, but raised my suspicion.

Maybe an hour later I'm walking back from the toilets, down the corridor, and there he is. He stops me.

I knew he was local police from friends I was with.

Anyway, we get chatting, I thanked him for the beers, he says no problem, anytime.

Then he says, which spooked me, hey ,if you need anyone gone bang, you pay me 100k and (hand gesture wave bye bye) they gone.

I was speechless.

Scary stuff, maybe he was setting me up, but I'm not sure he was.

Any thoughts?

Edited by krisb

i taught some police once and the chief asked my wife and i for dinner. end of the night he said if we wanted anything.......then he reeled off a list , ganja, heroin, cocaine, guns, .......then we only had to ask. i was truly gobsmaked, my wife didnt see anything unusual in it.

I came across something like this, My wife is an Ex bangkok Thai police small arms instructor. I was invited to have a drink with a high ranking police man , after quite a few hours of drinking he got his magnum 44 out and put it on the table in front of me/us and started to spin it, I made my excuses and left, Nothing worse than a Thai policeman with a loaded Gun. even worse when they are drunk.

Edited by Thongkorn

I came across something like this, My wife is an Ex bangkok Thai police small arms instructor. I was invited to have a drink with a high ranking police man , after quite a few hours of drinking he got his magnum 44 out and put it on the table in front of me/us and started to spin it, I made my excuses and left, Nothing worse than a Thai policeman with a loaded Gun. even worse when they are drunk.

Dirty Hally no less

So what if it is a Troll...

Many of us have been in a similar situation...

I have been... I became friends with a Thai lad who had a number of Police friends. We were all the same age, young (early 20's) went out a lot and all became good friends.

Some of my Thai friends' Police friends extended many offers of help / assistance etc, should I face any issues in Thailand (never offered to be a hit man though).

The difference - my Friend is a genuine lad, educated overseas and from a similar Socio-economic background to myself.... 15+ yeas later we are still close friends, he is now in the Police Force.

Knowing this side of Thailand and some of the people I've met through my friend I can see how many guys may assume this role of bravado in an attempt to secure respect, its clumsy and almost guarantees no genuine respect.

The funny side of this is that some western guys also assume this same role of bravado and have assimilated perhaps a little too much leaving their common sense behind.

This clumsiness usually comes from those whose ego's are bigger than their intelligence, we can sometimes witness this in real life, we commonly witness it on webforms.

Yep, avoid him in the future. Bad news.

Pay for your own beers from now on and don't get involved.

My rule is let Thai men do what they do, but I'm not at all interested.

If this were a country of Thai males I would be long gone.

Edited by fey

Can I get your friends number?

A few years ago, one of the local Yaa baa freaks stole a Honda Wave from our back yard. He was observed leaving the scene on the bike, there was no question of the crime being committed or who was responsible. My neighbour cop, (local 2IC at the time), was upset it happened just metres from his front gate and vowed to fix the problem as it made HIM look bad.

I expected some serious repercussions but it was not to be. After a couple of days our friend came to us, all apologetic and said it was too late to prove anything as the bike couldn't be found and was probably stripped/sold off already. I was shocked, I thought it would be sorted in the rumoured 'Thai police' fashion.

My friend couldn't do a thing and my assumption that the situation could be fixed with a round to the back of the head, or at least threats along those lines, proved very wrongangry.png ....I can't be too mad as he still pays for drinks when he's in the mood thumbsup.gif .

A farang here cheated several other farangs out of several thousand baht each. Refund demands were unsecessful. One farangs wife had an uncle who was an ex policeman who still possessed the pistol he had whilst in the force. A quiet word to he ex cop, a visit to the offending farang, a word in his ear whilst exhibiting the weapon, and hey presto the following day the money was forthcoming. Amazing what you can get done in Thailand for the price of a bottle of scotch.

Was it chocolate, almond, Gold, strawberry or white? ....