Stallions 400cc - Any good?

azerty66

Steve, Thanks for the review. As the bike is so new there are not many reviews out there. Makes me fell a little better about buying one. I always liked the retro look of the Yamaha SR400s but to get one with a green book you have to pay out the nose. Even with no import tax a new SR runs about 200,000 baht. Now add the import tax and the price become VERY unreasonable. Also the SR does not have an electric starter, important for us old guys, and has less horsepower than the Stallions 400. Im looking at the Scrambler model.

Stallions 400 Scrambler.jpg

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

... I'm looking at the Scrambler model.

Have you actually seen a 400 Scrambler in the shops (not at an exhibition) yet, Rdrokit? If so, where? Korat? - which you give as your location.

I've been asking my dealer in Khon Kaen about the bike for 4 months now and they still don't know when they'll have any for sale.

If other dealers have them, I can mention that fact to my dealer and maybe ask them to get their finger out. Or do the 120km. trip down to Korat.

Martin L, they have (or had) a Scrambler 400 in the dealer at Mukdahan which I saw just before Xmas.  Ended up selling my 150 and bought the Centaur 250 Max.  They quoted me 118,000 for the Scrambler 400 at the time.  Little bit of a hike from KK but for your info.

26 minutes ago, Markc said:

Martin L, they have (or had) a Scrambler 400 in the dealer at Mukdahan which I saw just before Xmas.  Ended up selling my 150 and bought the Centaur 250 Max.  They quoted me 118,000 for the Scrambler 400 at the time.  Little bit of a hike from KK but for your info.

Thanks Mark. Just your confirmation that they ARE in the shops is all I really needed. Maybe time to have a word with the KK dealer.

If my wife isn't keen on coming on the bike with me - and I think that's likely - then I'll go for the 250. I don't really need anything bigger for my type of use - back roads, fairly relaxed and I'm a small bike enthusiast anyway - but felt that, if MrsL wanted to ride pillion, that extra bit of ooommph might be a good thing.

So how have you found the 250? OK for the sort of riding I've described?

23 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Thanks Mark. Just your confirmation that they ARE in the shops is all I really needed. Maybe time to have a word with the KK dealer.

If my wife isn't keen on coming on the bike with me - and I think that's likely - then I'll go for the 250. I don't really need anything bigger for my type of use - back roads, fairly relaxed and I'm a small bike enthusiast anyway - but felt that, if MrsL wanted to ride pillion, that extra bit of ooommph might be a good thing.

So how have you found the 250? OK for the sort of riding I've described?

Should be just fine.  I have only put just over 200kms on the 250 but it is certainly enough for me for very similar use as you described.  although in saying that in just the short time I have had it I am very tempted to venture further afield on it.  Very happy with the purchase so far.  T

Stallions also have a new 250 v twin which they have released (haven't seen one) which may be of interest to you.

2 minutes ago, Markc said:

Should be just fine.  I have only put just over 200kms on the 250 but it is certainly enough for me for very similar use as you described.  although in saying that in just the short time I have had it I am very tempted to venture further afield on it.  Very happy with the purchase so far.  T

Stallions also have a new 250 v twin which they have released (haven't seen one) which may be of interest to you.

Yes, I've seen that and tried it for size but I'm not a big fan of small V twins. I like singles. It seems very well finished, though, and I'm sure it'll sell well. 

Besides, I've got workshop manuals for both 400 & 250 Stallions singles - well, the original donor engines anyway - but can't yet find anything for the V. 

MartinL and others,

Well I went and bought the 400 Scrambler and MartinL if you want one he will have another next week so the supply is out there. There was no discount, paid 116,900 and then added another 8,000 for custom exhaust which will be installed tomorrow and they will deliver the bike to my front door on a truck Saturday. Very good service. About the exhaust, if you like a quite bike then keep the stock exhaust. I am kinda a loud type of guy so I wanted a louder exhaust. These bikes are interesting as they have dual exhausts (so do the 250s). The first photo is of my new bike with the owner (in glasses), his wife and a couple of the shop mechanics. They do all kinds of custom work in the shop and when I  get tired of the looks I will make some changes. The next photo is some of the bikes he has in front of the shop. The exhausts I am getting is just like the dual exhaust on the green 250 cafe racer. The last photo is 1/2 his shop front. The name is Korat Rangers and phone is 089-722-2281. Will keep you posted on updates.

IMG_20170119_115846.jpg

IMG_20170119_115613.jpg

IMG_20170119_115729.jpg

Another 400cc Stallion owner, congt, looks great.

Getting those over the SR400 is a no brainer and this is coming from a ex (fond) SR500 owner many many moons ago. Gold can sometime be had at too high prices and that damn kick-start only, is a pain in the arse. When starting it when it was dark, you couldn't see the inspection window on the cam so I sometimes got a big back kick that was very painful and I was young and fit then. 

I hope you guys that owns the 400cc keep us updated, top-speed (very important, he-he) and general observations regarding ownership and so on.

Sacre Bleu !!! Is nothing sacred these days???

Spotted that yellow thing in the corner in Yamaha Yellow with Yamaha Racing Speed Block (reg tm...) decal design on the tank...  I'm going to report this to Sir Kenny Roberts HQ....

29HP is not that bad, my ex SR500 had 33 and the current SR400 is only 24 which is bad.

+140km/h top speed is quite good too, if the handling is good you should be able to cruise at around +120km/h which is okay for Thailand most of the time.

If the fuel cons in above box is correct, that will be 30.44km/l converted from mile/gal(UK) and 36.56 using mile/gal(US). I am lucky to get 20km/l on my Versys 650:ph34r: and around 36-38km/l on my PCX150(2up, City).

Amazing you can get a 400cc bike for around 115k baht that can do that.

1 hour ago, guzzi850m2 said:

29HP is not that bad, my ex SR500 had 33 and the current SR400 is only 24 which is bad.

+140km/h top speed is quite good too, if the handling is good you should be able to cruise at around +120km/h which is okay for Thailand most of the time.

If the fuel cons in above box is correct, that will be 30.44km/l converted from mile/gal(UK) and 36.56 using mile/gal(US). I am lucky to get 20km/l on my Versys 650:ph34r: and around 36-38km/l on my PCX150(2up, City).

Amazing you can get a 400cc bike for around 115k baht that can do that.

I was reading that the 29hp is measured at the back wheels not sure how the other manufactures measure their numbers. Also the stock mufflers are very restrictive. I might have picked up a couple hp with my new exhaust.

piece of better off on a moped at least you can carry a few bags of rice in comfort & probably about same power

6d743d4848dfa35b2ababe4172a3eef3.jpg

I already have a rice collector, this will just be a put-put bike for me. :)

Sent from my SM-P355 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, 1sickpuppy said:

piece of <deleted> better off on a moped at least you can carry a few bags of rice in comfort & probably about same power

Nonsense, some want a cafe styled bike, see many young Thai's on that style of bike. Perhaps not for the older guys but I always respect others choice of bike and you should too.

Derrrr.  Attention to detail 55555.  In fairness I've been up to the eyeballs with house move and whatever else the last 6 months so barely time to even skim the bike threads.

If they're both Centaurs I'm trying to fathom the difference between the bike in post 66 and those in 67?  Unless the later is a cafe racer style.  Nice indeed, BUT now I've ploughed through the thread I have to say I'm REALLY keen on the Royal Enfield Bullet.  If that comes in at 150k I'm in!!  If it's still 180 I'll be taking a close look at the Centaur to see if it's worth the extra 80 or so.

19 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Derrrr.  Attention to detail 55555.  In fairness I've been up to the eyeballs with house move and whatever else the last 6 months so barely time to even skim the bike threads.

If they're both Centaurs I'm trying to fathom the difference between the bike in post 66 and those in 67?  Unless the later is a cafe racer style.  Nice indeed, BUT now I've ploughed through the thread I have to say I'm REALLY keen on the Royal Enfield Bullet.  If that comes in at 150k I'm in!!  If it's still 180 I'll be taking a close look at the Centaur to see if it's worth the extra 80 or so.

The one in 67 is a 250. They only make 2 models of the 400. The one in 67 (CT400) and my model (Scrambler).

IMGP0050.JPG

The cruiser (Stallion Iron) is pretty cool looking in my view. It looks stripped down, has forward controls and sells for about 70,000 - 80,000 Baht. Unfortunately it is only 250cc and a true hardtail (e.g. no rear suspension). I think it has great pose value, but probably not terribly practical.

1 hour ago, SooKee said:

Ah.  Gotcha.  Both really nice looking bikes!!  I'm likely to err in favour of the CT 400.  The REs are nice but only if the prices drops some if they start Thailand manufacture this year.  

Photos of most Stallions bikes attached.

The Centaur Siam 150 is one of the variants on the 150 theme - Siam, Siam 70s, Tracker & Cafe Mega.

Centaur Siam 150.jpg

Iron One 250 is their chopper.Iron One 250.jpg

Centaur 250 Max has cast wheel/silver engine and wire wheel/black engine versions.

Centaur 250 Max.jpg

Buccaneer 250i is the newest addition. 250 fuel injected V-twin.

Buccaneer 250i.jpg 

Compared to CT 400, the Scrambler has (apparently) bigger front forks 41mm v. 35mm, beefed-up rear suspension, box section swinging arm, 2-1 exhaust, different seat, different bars.

CT 400.jpg

CT 400 Scrambler.jpg

1 hour ago, Stevemercer said:

The cruiser (Stallion Iron) is pretty cool looking in my view. It looks stripped down, has forward controls and sells for about 70,000 - 80,000 Baht. Unfortunately it is only 250cc and a true hardtail (e.g. no rear suspension). I think it has great pose value, but probably not terribly practical.

Hmmmm.  Not so sure about that one.  Never been to keen on the low rider / chopper style riding position.  And a hardtail with these potholes.  No thanks LOL.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been waiting for the 400 Scrambler to come to my local Khon Kaen dealer since before last October. It's finally arrived so I had a look yesterday. 

Had the same problem I've had on many bikes over the years - my bloody legs (29" or 740mm) are too short!!! I was literally on tiptoes with both feet down, which isn't good.

That killed a deal stone dead - although it's a good-looking bike and seems very well put together. It might seem daft to say so but the 'other' 400 just doesn't do it for me even though it's a little lower but basically the same bike.

Anyway, ordered a red 250 Max with cast wheels for delivery in a couple of weeks. Quite a bit cheaper and, TBH, will probably suit my needs just as well. MrsL. also liked the lower price :). Those tyres will probably have to go, though.

9 minutes ago, MartinL said:

I've been waiting for the 400 Scrambler to come to my local Khon Kaen dealer since before last October. It's finally arrived so I had a look yesterday. 

Had the same problem I've had on many bikes over the years - my bloody legs (29" or 740mm) are too short!!! I was literally on tiptoes with both feet down, which isn't good.

That killed a deal stone dead - although it's a good-looking bike and seems very well put together. It might seem daft to say so but the 'other' 400 just doesn't do it for me even though it's a little lower but basically the same bike.

Anyway, ordered a red 250 Max with cast wheels for delivery in a couple of weeks. Quite a bit cheaper and, TBH, will probably suit my needs just as well. MrsL. also liked the lower price :). Those tyres will probably have to go, though.

Was just the opposite for me as I am 6'3" (190cm) tall and have long legs. lol

The 250 Max is a nice looking bike and a good price. But you are right about the tyres. The front, especially,  is far to fat and will make the steering unnecessarily heavy. Presumably they can exchange it for a thinner tyre as part of the deal.

Archived