Stallions 400cc - Any good?

azerty66

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, sebastion said:

https://www.facebook.com/royalenfieldthai/
Prices start 179k but prices are about to drop again dramatically according to the motor expo guy.

Really? When?

If they go below 150k baht for a 500cc, I gonna get one. The wife can kill me, I don't care, I want one, period. :biggrin:

I saw this one at the Stallion dealer, and admittedly spend much more time looking at it than the Stallions, lovely bike man.

I think the badly English speaking dealer said 170k baht?

squadronblue-right-600x463.png

Really? When?

If they go below 150k baht for a 500cc, I gonna get one. The wife can kill me, I don't care, I want one, period. :biggrin:

I saw this one at the Stallion dealer, and admittedly spend much more time looking at it than the Stallions, lovely bike man.

I think the badly English speaking dealer said 170k baht?

squadronblue-right-600x463.png

..1480343496518.jpg.5b2bf57358956236528d71

11 hours ago, sebastion said:

Assembly in Thailand comes in 2017. It will be announced at Motor expo. Prices will drop

1 hour ago, bramds said:

Time to get a Continental GT then :smile:

... but it'll have to wait until the dealer network consists of more than just one shop in Bangkok. Maybe that'll happen when/if Thailand assembly ever begins.

But a Continental GT would be lovely!!

6 hours ago, MartinL said:

... but it'll have to wait until the dealer network consists of more than just one shop in Bangkok. Maybe that'll happen when/if Thailand assembly ever begins.

But a Continental GT would be lovely!!

I saw the one I posted a photo of, in a shop in Pattaya where as already mentioned they also sells the Stallions.

^^^^^^

OK, Guzzi. I'd just logged on to the RE Thailand website when I made that comment and the only dealer/service centre listed in in BKK. Maybe I should get out & about more but, realistically, I doubt they're on sale here in Khon Kaen province yet and expect they won't be for a while. 

2 hours ago, MartinL said:

^^^^^^

OK, Guzzi. I'd just logged on to the RE Thailand website when I made that comment and the only dealer/service centre listed in in BKK. Maybe I should get out & about more but, realistically, I doubt they're on sale here in Khon Kaen province yet and expect they won't be for a while. 

Yes I am not sure that dealer in Pattaya is an Aut dealer or not, but if they start making them here, I think/hope more dealers will surface. 

I was reading last night a quite big RE forum based in the US about the RE's and the reliability seems to be a hit or miss and max cruising speed is app 100km/h or the vibrations will get too severe. 

Some have the frames cracking.

One owner don't have a RE dealer anymore in his State so he do all his maintenance himself, which apparently is not too hard to do.

Furthermore many RE owners reports when they park their bikes with a big group of Harley's, most people comes over and check out the RE and not the HD's, expect the snobs off-course, ha-ha.

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?action=forum#2

Well this is Stallions topic, sorry way off topic now, so perhaps we should continue over in the RE topic?

On 21/10/2015 at 2:01 PM, AllanB said:

Please stop this nonsense about being disrespectful to the Jap designers, copying is all they have ever done since WW2. For more than half a century, they have spent 99% of their development budget improving production and unashamedly ripped off the Brits and Yanks for their designs.

"Copy and improve" was their motto for years, this is why all their bikes look the same now, the Brits aren't providing the designs for them any more.

The Japs even used the word "influenced" in their advertising, now if the Chinese are now doing the same, ain't it all a bleedin' shame.....

Besides this is a twin, the SR400 is a single, so they have copied the Bonny if anything......it is just a copy though...and it sure isn't a Cafe Racer.

120k for a 400 doesn't sound bad.

On 21/10/2015 at 0:45 PM, maykilceksin said:

you are wrong, it is a homage of their old w1 model. so you dont even know where kawa 650 is originating from:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_W_series

and old w series is a licensed production of BSA (not a fake BSA!). so please update your info before posting things here.

and kawasaki looks better than Bonneville and much more durable as well. and not same.

and it is not a one to one copy like stallion 400, right?

plus at least Japanese made it better than Bonneville at the end. reviews say that, check it out. it is evolved in a better way not like making it Chinese and worse:)

and where Bonneville get copied from? maybe BSA and BSA is a copy of other bikes so it all goes. all have two wheels:)

IMG_1439.JPG

IMG_1440.JPG

IMG_1441.JPG

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1443.PNG

IMG_1444.PNG

IMG_1445.JPG

The word 'Japs' is offensive and derogatory. And how is the Indians copying the Brits any less than if the Japanese do it ?  Back in the day my BSA - if not the worst bike I ever had was tied for that honor, almost entirely due to the electrics. To say nothing of the oil leaks and general dismal engineering and assembly. Did not improve until I installed Japanese stator and voltage regulator. But I am sure someone will start another 18 page Topic discussing the merits of this 1930's design. Which now has FI - so at least that is an improvement. Style sell much nostalgia.

8 minutes ago, BaldPlumber said:

There was nothing wrong with my BSA bantam d14/4 that many, many hours of work wouldn't quite put right.

Ring-a-ding-ding if memory serves, horrible, horrible sound.

The Japanese didn't copy it for some weird reason.

The early Bantam D1 ,the Yamaha and Harly D were copies of the 30's DKW 125.War booty?

15 hours ago, canthai55 said:

The word 'Japs' is offensive and derogatory. And how is the Indians copying the Brits any less than if the Japanese do it ?  Back in the day my BSA - if not the worst bike I ever had was tied for that honor, almost entirely due to the electrics. To say nothing of the oil leaks and general dismal engineering and assembly. Did not improve until I installed Japanese stator and voltage regulator. But I am sure someone will start another 18 page Topic discussing the merits of this 1930's design. Which now has FI - so at least that is an improvement. Style sell much nostalgia.

So Jap, short for Japanese is derogatory, but Brit, short for British is not???

The Indians didn't copy the RE, they initially made spares for the British army there, then they bought the design and tooling from us and made them for the Indian army and civilians. Been doing so ever since.

A mate of mine had a Kawasaki (650cc I believe) in early 80's and that was always off the road. Any tiny thing that went wrong was virtually impossible to fix and the wait for spares was lonnnnnng time, no see. In the early 70's a fellow student bought a little Honda sports car and he caught the bus a lot.

Another friend bought a Bonny in 1979 and he used it every day for 7 years, plus Bristol/Slough every weekend 2 up, with a minimum of issues which were easily fixed. I borrowed it for 2 weeks, a great bike.

So there is good and bad in all, the problem is the Brits are self deprecating by their nature, the Japanese are most certainly not, indeed it is almost considered treason to criticise a home product.

I think the Chinese just get on with it and don't worry too much, they just want to sell stuff.

So Jap, short for Japanese is derogatory, but Brit, short for British is not???

The Indians didn't copy the RE, they initially made spares for the British army there, then they bought the design and tooling from us and made them for the Indian army and civilians. Been doing so ever since.

A mate of mine had a Kawasaki (650cc I believe) in early 80's and that was always off the road. Any tiny thing that went wrong was virtually impossible to fix and the wait for spares was lonnnnnng time, no see. In the early 70's a fellow student bought a little Honda sports car and he caught the bus a lot.

Another friend bought a Bonny in 1979 and he used it every day for 7 years, plus Bristol/Slough every weekend 2 up, with a minimum of issues which were easily fixed. I borrowed it for 2 weeks, a great bike.

So there is good and bad in all, the problem is the Brits are self deprecating by their nature, the Japanese are most certainly not, indeed it is almost considered treason to criticise a home product.

I think the Chinese just get on with it and don't worry too much, they just want to sell stuff.

Spot on, mate. The later Bonnie's were a joy to ride/own. Had a '81 T140e and still to this day, I think it was my nicest ride (on 2 wheels that is).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been over a year since this thread started and nobody seems to have brought or ridden on of these bikes (Stallion Centaur 400cc)? The You Tube reviews I have see are in Thai.

I'm looking at buying one for 100,000 Baht. I'll give you my impressions in a week or two.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is that 100,000 ฿ new or used? List price is 115,000 ฿ new on the Stallions Facebook page so 100,000 ฿ if new is very good. Where?

For road tests of very similar, but maybe not absolutely identical, bikes in English, search for 'Mash 400' (UK & also French), 'Genuine 400' (USA), 'Sol Invictus 400' (Oz). Numerous Youtube tests in English also come-up with those searches.

Opinions generally seems to be positive in those tests. 

Thanks MartinL. I'll look at the reviews. Yes, the list price for a new bike was 116,000 and their final offer to me was 106,000. My Thai wife came in the next day and got the offer  down to 100,000. The bike is new and from a shop in Khon Kaen.

^^^^^^^

The Stallions shop on Mittraphap Road, just as the underpass passes under Maliwan?  

I'm in KK too - well, 80 km. south but the KK shop is my local dealer. Good to know they're open to deals :) :).

I'm more interested in the 400 Scrambler, which they don't yet have, or perhaps the 250 single.

1 hour ago, MartinL said:

^^^^^^^

The Stallions shop on Mittraphap Road, just as the underpass passes under Maliwan?  

I'm in KK too - well, 80 km. south but the KK shop is my local dealer. Good to know they're open to deals :) :).

I'm more interested in the 400 Scrambler, which they don't yet have, or perhaps the 250 single.

The guy in there told me they are/will be running regular outings/road trips for their customers, seems they are pretty good on the marketing front, friendly too.

Yes, that is the shop. It is part of the Zeus empire owned by a guy called Nos. His Mum, who works as a sales rep, negotiated the bike with me.

I picked it up today and rode back to Kosum Phisai, about 40 km. I haven't ridden a proper motorbike in about 5 years and the Honda Cub I ride has the gears reversed. I was a bit worried about making a fool of myself riding out of the shop with all the staff clapping and smiling, but it's a hard bike to stall and it all came back to in a few kms.

The bike sits on 65 km/hr at 3,000 rpm, 80 km/hr at 4,000, and 100 km/hr at 5,000 rpm. There is a bit of vibration at 4,000 rpm which smooths out at 4,500 rpm. The gear changes are pretty slick even clutchless (I forgot a few times). Pick-up is very smooth and it pulls OK from 2,500 rpm. It jerks and stutters under 2,500 rpm. There is a gap between 1st and 2nd and it is best to rev it to 3,500 before changing to second. The clutch is pretty heavy.

I liked the sitting position, it was comfortable for me, and the mirrors were good with little vibration (although they look daggy). The suspension is OK (I'm 75 kg) and the bike tracked rock solid even if hitting a big bump. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised by the suspension, it seemed to handle the bumps and undulations well. Once you're in 5th, and on the highway, there is no need to change gears when overtaking. The stock exhaust is pretty quiet.

The bike won't start unless the kickstand is up and you hold in the clutch. It has an automatic clutch although, to my mind, the idle revs are too high (1,500 (hot) - 2,000 (cold)).

As I said before, I brought the bike for 100,000 Baht new, plus 2,500 Baht for registration/compulsory insurance, plus 4,000 Baht for full 100% replacement insurance. The engine has a 3 year warranty (parts and labour) and 1 year on the rest of the bike. Service intervals (apart from the first 1,000 km) are 4,000 km.

The quality seemed OK on my bike although the cabling and tubes were not tidied up. Maybe this was the set-up because there seemed plenty of attached wire loops and guides to hold things in place, but they weren't used. There is no centre stand, which is annoying. There is a separate sump for the oil, but no oil cooler. The bike comes with a basic toolkit, but no storage space.

There are no curves where I live so I didn't test the handling. As I said above, I found the sitting position quite good and with excellent visibility. I'm still running the bike in and haven't gone over 5,000 rpm. motorbike 2.jpg

motorbike 1.jpg

^^^^^^^^^

Don't know what the numbers 8 or 59 mean but the bike in the background, bearing 59, is a new Stallions model I've not seen mentioned here - the Stallions Buccaneer 250i, a fuel injected, 20ish HP 250 V-twin. Available in USA under the SSR badge, Italjet in Italy, Buccaneer in Netherlands, Mondial in Turkey(?), maybe elsewhere, too.

Stallions 250i.jpg

See the previous page. I bought one recently. The list price is 116,900, but I got mine for 100,000. I've put 500 km on it so far and it is pretty sweet for cruising 80 - 100 k/hr. I'm not sure of the fuel economy yet, but I got 350 km from the first tank (13 litre) before I lost my nerve and filled up.

I've tried to kick start it a few times, but without success so far (the electric start is fine, but I want to know I can start it if the battery is run down). There is probably some technique involved that has eluded me so far.

The suspension is soft, but seems suited to the average Thai road. The 19 inch wheels (front and back) help keep it on track when crashing through bumps at speed. The steering is heavy, but it tips into corners pretty well. 

The clutch is heavy on mine and I wouldn't want to use it on a daily commute just for this reason. I might take the cable out and oil it to see if this helps. It has a separate sump for the oil meaning it has a large reservoir and some extra cooling. 

While it sits OK on 3,000 rpm, gear changes are best at 3,500 rpm. It feels most relaxed in the 90 km/hr range (4,500 rpm) and starts feeling busy over 5,000 rpm. The brakes and lights are acceptable. In fact, the front light is quite powerful.

There is room for a pillion although I'm not sure about the long distance comfort. I've taken a few Thais on the back and they certainly enjoyed it. They thought the bike was 'beautiful' and exciting. I guess it doesn't take much bike to excite a Thai girl (it just needs to be shiny and new). Most haven't been on anything over 100 cc and have to hang on for dear life.

I'm happy with the bike so far. It has a bit of character, would be easy to work on if desired, and is about the cheapest entry into larger bikes in Thailand. While a 250 will do 100 km/hr on the highway, they are typically nearly flat out with not a lot in reserve. They also suck though the juice at high revs. In my view, 400 cc is about the minimum you need for comfort on the open road.

Archived