Stallions 400cc - Any good?

azerty66

3 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Love to see some photos of your bike. Nepal must be a beautiful place to ride. Do you live in Kathmandu?

Here's a picture of the Scrambler after a weekend ride around the City. The Front Mudguards are pretty useless at high Speeds. 

Yes I live in Kathmandu and its fun to ride especially outside the Valley. 

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Kiran said:

Here's a picture of the Scrambler after a weekend ride around the City. The Front Mudguards are pretty useless at high Speeds. 

Yes I live in Kathmandu and its fun to ride especially outside the Valley. 

Thanks for the photo. Looks like the bike we get in Thailand except that color is not offered here.

Bit concerned about the difficulty in kick starting these. All well and good if the kick start works better if the engine is warm. Not really the point though. The times you are likely to NEED the kick start, it's not gonna be warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Bit concerned about the difficulty in kick starting these. All well and good if the kick start works better if the engine is warm. Not really the point though. The times you are likely to NEED the kick start, it's not gonna be warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be because of the electric fuel pump. My fuel pump runs for a couple of seconds when I turn the key on. Probably priming the fuel injection. You can always push start the bike. Have done that many a time with other bikes.

I have been kick starting big singles for 40 years and frankly you do need to treat it seriously and have some weight to do it!

This is not something you should attempt in a half hearted manner!

In any big single bike, it is necessary to turn the motor over by the kick starter till you feel it is coming up onto compression stroke TDC(Top Dead Center).  Then very slowly force the engine to go just over this!

When you are ready to kickstart don't play around with it get up on it and give it hell!  Don't pussy foot with it!

It always works for me.

On 29/04/2017 at 0:45 PM, Rdrokit said:

Could be because of the electric fuel pump. My fuel pump runs for a couple of seconds when I turn the key on. Probably priming the fuel injection. You can always push start the bike. Have done that many a time with other bikes.

You cannot pushstart any modern bike AFAIK for the very reason you mentioned,the electronic fuel injection needs power to work... 

Not a problem I have had yet as  bikes thesedays are much more reliable than they used to be and Thailand never gets all that cold anyway

I've managed to kick start mine, both hot and cold, but I'm still to master the technique. The trick, as mentioned above, is to use the kick start to get the motor past TDC, and then kick. Unfortunately, there is not quite enough travel in the kick lever to get it going fast enough to the next TDC. The kick start does not quite engage again at the top of its stroke and you loose a good 25% of the travel. However, if you go a little beyond TDC, so the lever fully engages at the top of its travel, then there is a chance it will start.

Wearing shoes/boots with hard soles (not rubber) and putting a rubber grip on the bar metal kick lever also helps. I think it might also get a little easier as the motor wears in.

16 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

I've managed to kick start mine, both hot and cold, but I'm still to master the technique. The trick, as mentioned above, is to use the kick start to get the motor past TDC, and then kick. Unfortunately, there is not quite enough travel in the kick lever to get it going fast enough to the next TDC. The kick start does not quite engage again at the top of its stroke and you loose a good 25% of the travel. However, if you go a little beyond TDC, so the lever fully engages at the top of its travel, then there is a chance it will start.

Wearing shoes/boots with hard soles (not rubber) and putting a rubber grip on the bar metal kick lever also helps. I think it might also get a little easier as the motor wears in.

Or you could date a girl with strong legs...

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

Thought this thread needed some reviving since the last post 4 months ago.

It'd be interesting to hear from the long term owners, about how the bike is fairing, any new problems crept in?

I spoke with a CT400 owner (over 1 year) today, he reports the bike is holding up quite well.

The main issues have been:

• The original tyres are pretty lethal in the wet - soon to be changed to Semi-Enduro type tyres, 4500 baht for the pair inc fitting.
  • The engine would cut out on occasion around 1500rpm after 1hour+ riding - possibly related to the ECU fi issue others have mentioned on the earlier versions. As a side note to this issue, I quizzed the Stallions Mechanic at the Chiang Mai dealer today who said they can remap the ECU to idle at 1200rpm steady if required under warranty.
  • Some premature rusting of the chrome on the rear fender and some bolts.

Other than that he was pretty happy with the bike and highly recommended it.

Would like to hear how you other owners are getting on!

Thanks

I've got about 6000 km on my bike.

It runs well and is comfortable, probably better then when new as it has run in. The economy is pretty good at just over 30 km/litre. The 13 litre tank lasts 400 km. The bike's tank and engine (mat black) still look good. The bike is comfortable at 100 km/hr on the highway and is solid with good visibility. The riding position is slightly laid back which suits me. It looks pretty cool to watching Thai's when you stretch the arms right out and lean back.

Mine sometimes stalls when cold, but starts again easily enough. 

On the negative side, there is rust appearing on the front mudguard, wheel rims and some other areas. 

I rode the bike through some flooded streets a few months back (about 30 cm deep) and the engine stalled and refused to start. Water had gotten into the switch on the side stand (there is a cut-off if you try to start the bike with the kick stand down). Anyway, after about half an hour it dried sufficiently to start. Back home I cleaned it out and sealed off the switch.

I took the bike in for its 4,000 km service a few weeks ago. When I next used the bike the neutral light would not go on and the bike would not start unless I pulled the clutch in. The neutral light sometimes comes back on. I wonder if the mechanic somehow changed the gear lever action. Obviously you don't need the light to tell when you are in neutral, but it won't start in neutral if the light is not showing (you then have to pull the clutch in to start the bike).

In summary, a potential weakness is the automatic cut-off that does not allow you to start the bike unless the side stand is up or it is not in neutral (with the light on). You can still start the bike in any gear with the clutch pulled in (except in the circumstances I described above). I'm tempted to rip out all the switches to avoid getting stranded somewhere.

I'm getting better at kick starting the bike, but it's still hit and miss.

Quick heads up for those who like 400 singles inc these Chinese/Thai bikes.

For similar money there is a 2 y/o SR400 Yamaha on the HD Playground website. 120k (virtually half the new price), 18k kms, white paint job, bog std and mint. Looks a bargain to me.

2 hours ago, OmegaRacer said:

I couldn't find that post. You got a link?
Anyway, I think it's too good to be true...maybe there are installments to pay on top of the 120k.

Or no green book. Anyway an update on my Stallion 400. Been about 6 months now since I bought it. No problems except the ECU that was changed out when I first bought it. Being a Scrambler model there is not much chrome on it so I have no rust problems. Had the handle bars powdered coated black as I did not like the chrome look. Still think it's one of the best buys out there at 116,000 baht. Buy the way I bought the wife a new Honda Soopy i when I bought the Stallion and the chrome on the wheels of the Scoopy are starting to rust so it's not just Stallions that rust.

15 hours ago, OmegaRacer said:

I couldn't find that post. You got a link?
Anyway, I think it's too good to be true...maybe there are installments to pay on top of the 120k.

Google

HD Playground

All bikes for sale.

Should still be on the 1st page, stating SR400.

Price is the price. HDP show on the ads if there are installments.

HDP is mainly there for the Thai market and often has bikes for sale at more realistic prices than the Felang orientated sites like here and B&S. It's 2 y/o and 18k kms - the price looks realistic to me.

Recently (probably on p2 or 3) was a very nice air cooled Thruxton on there, had all the mods, tastefully done, cash or monthly payments, that bike would have advertised on B&S for a 100k more. Go figure.

13 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Or no green book. Anyway an update on my Stallion 400. Been about 6 months now since I bought it. No problems except the ECU that was changed out when I first bought it. Being a Scrambler model there is not much chrome on it so I have no rust problems. Had the handle bars powdered coated black as I did not like the chrome look. Still think it's one of the best buys out there at 116,000 baht. Buy the way I bought the wife a new Honda Soopy i when I bought the Stallion and the chrome on the wheels of the Scoopy are starting to rust so it's not just Stallions that rust.

It's a 2 y/o 2015 model FI bike.

ie sold by Yamaha Thailand. ie it will have a book.

I also see the annual tax sticker on it.

Anything else?

I went through 10 pages on the HD classifieds, but no SR. 
I'd be surely a great price, but I don't think it's realistic at all. It costs new nearly 300k. How did it lose 180k in 2 years? A selfish and generous seller? lol Maybe he made a mistake and cancelled the ad.
Look in kaidee, also a Thai bike market, same bike (2014 model) goes for 190k.
https://www.kaidee.com/product-135956353

21 hours ago, OmegaRacer said:

I went through 10 pages on the HD classifieds, but no SR. 
I'd be surely a great price, but I don't think it's realistic at all. It costs new nearly 300k. How did it lose 180k in 2 years? A selfish and generous seller? lol Maybe he made a mistake and cancelled the ad.
Look in kaidee, also a Thai bike market, same bike (2014 model) goes for 190k.
https://www.kaidee.com/product-135956353

Hey, I was only offering a heads up to anyone interested. It aint my bike. I just thought it was a good deal.

I just had another look, it's right now at this time still on the first page, last one down at the bottom.

Seller goes by the name of Chapolice_5. Ad was added on the 11th of Sept. If the house in the background is his, looks like he's not short of money...

Happy chasing.

On 9/24/2017 at 8:34 PM, OmegaRacer said:

ok, found it. It wasn't in the classifieds section. Looks like the seller is some kind of dealer, lots of big bikes for sale.
Very tempting indeed, but if I buy yet another bike, my wife will feed my willy to the ducks. 555

Sell the ducks.

• 8 months later...

Let's keep the updates coming. This ole Commie hater is starting a love affair with the Stallion 400. I lost possession of my Raider.....don't ask. Am seriouslyyyyyy considering the 400. 100kph wasn't alot of fun on my Raider for long distance.  Anyway keep the reports coming.

10 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

Been over a year now and still loving it. If you like the naked bike look, which I do, I think it is one of the best looking bikes around.

IMGP0005.JPG

Like I said I'm a big time china bike hater. But this one looks exactly like what I want. Can't stand the sports bikes. Hell yeah I say. 

I've had my Stallion over a year with 25,000 km. It cruises well at 100 km/hr, and overall comfort and visability at this speed is good. I get about 30 km/litre at this speed and the 13 litre fuel tank lasts about 400 km. The bike is comfortable enough for 200 km or so at a stretch, then one wants 5 or 10 minutes break. 

The bike is not really comfortable above 100 - 110 km/hr, or once it gets over 5,000 rpm. I rarely take mine over 5,000, there is no need, the engine has enough torque to beat the traffic at the lights, or to overtake in 5th gear. Having said this, the bike is snatchy below 3,000 rpm

The engine is good (being an ex-Honda), feels strong and durable. It has a separate sump which helps with the cooling, perhaps. The gears are very slick and it is easy to ride in bare feet/thongs (if that is your thing). I haven't taken the bike touring, but it is certainly fine for day trips.

It is OK in the twisty stuff. It tracks straight well and handles bumps, potholes and ripples competently. However, it's heavy in the turns and needs a fair effort in the twisty stuff. It needs a firm hand and confidence to ride fast in the bends (e.g. there are better bikes if this is your forte.

The bike has an electric start and kick start. However, it is hard to kick start and I wouldn't want to rely on this. The headlights are good.

The side panels are metal and there is not much plastic on the bike. However, the rims and mudguards are starting to rust.

At 25,000 km the rear tyre is worn and I should replace it. The engine has shims valves and they'll probably need checking/changing at 40.000 km.

I find I have to keep the chain well oiled or it starts to grind. I suspect I'll have to replace mine soon.

The bike conked out once when I was riding through flood water (the kill switch on the kick stand got shorted). I was able to get going after allowing it to dry for 30 minutes. I dismantled and re-greased the switch when I got home.

I reckon the bike is good value for 100,000 Baht. I'm impressed by the engine and this is the bikes' biggest positive at the price. The rest of the bike is adequate/average. I think you need a minimum 400 cc if you are looking at riding at 100 km/hr. A 250/350 will do it, but you're flat out most of the time, don't have much in reserve and the fuel economy at this speed is usually poor.

12 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

The engine has shims valves and they'll probably need checking/changing at 40.000 km.

Are you sure?

I thought these engines were SOHC with rockers and locknuts and adjusters.

If you've done 25k kms, i'd check them now.

Sorry, my mistake. I rechecked the manual. The engine is a 397 cc single with, as you state, a standard SOHC set-up and 2 exhaust valves (twin exhausts). It has a single fuel injector and single spark plug.

According to the manual, the engine power is 19.5 Kw @ 7000 rpm and torque is 30 Nm @5,580 rpm. Compression is 8.8 : 1.

The bike's stated gross weight is 160 kg.

I am surprised it only goes comfortably to 100km/hr with that engine, and not going over 5000rpm is like using half the power and engine. My little 125cc scooter does 100km/hr (flat out , but still). I thought this should do more.....

In case anyone interested a farang is selling one on BahtSold with some extras and good price - a bit high mileage as it was used for touring but I think it was well looked after.

22 minutes ago, Agusts said:

I am surprised it only goes comfortably to 100km/hr with that engine, and not going over 5000rpm is like using half the power and engine. My little 125cc scooter does 100km/hr (flat out , but still). I thought this should do more.....

In case anyone interested a farang is selling one on BahtSold with some extras and good price - a bit high mileage as it was used for touring but I think it was well looked after.

Maybe my Scrambler is geared different. 5000rpms is 120kph on my bike and cruises excellent. Above 5000rpm you get vibration up to the 7000 redline. Almost all big singles have vibration in the higher rev zone.

Archived