Stallions 400cc - Any good?

azerty66

On 10/21/2015 at 8:21 AM, AllanB said:

How does it fair size wise, the 150 is small and so is the SR400 and at 285k baht ridiculous? How tall are you and did you fit?

Unlike any other non Jap bike the 150 is very popular here, they are everywhere.

Don`t think much of that.

The bike looks cheaply made with flimsy materials. Also check out the narrow wheels, not sure how good the bike would be if travelling at speed.

Now compare the Stallion to the Honda Phantom. Below is the same model and colour Honda Phantom I bought almost 14 years ago. I paid 83000  baht for the bike when it was new. I`ve kept mine in prestige condition and only recently a neighbour offered me 80000 for it, but I won`t sell.

Since new It`s required very little maintenance, no rust and I can cruse at 120kmh, no problem, although it`s only a 200cc. Tubeless tyres, wide wheels, 6 gears, and built like a tank, yet very economical on fuel. It also has an electric starter. I ridden from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and back on the bike several times, never let me down. 

If I could find a motorbike of the equivalent quality then I maybe interested. Otherwise I`m keeping my old Honda Phantom. There is no way the Stallion could compete in quality and performance.

Honda stopped making them some years ago because they couldn`t produce a motorbike of that quality standard for a decent price any more.

honda.jpg

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not trying to divert away from the theme of this thread, I`m saying that the Stallion appears to be of low quality and not good value for money.

The Honda Phantoms are becoming highly sort after now, classic motorbikes, idea as tourers and of the highest calibre style and quality.

It is viable to purchase one second-hand and have it serviced up to good condition. Many actually customise these bikes.

Below is a Honda Shadow Phantom 750cc. Real style and elegance. Cool.

shawdow.jpg

12 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Don`t think much of that.

The bike looks cheaply made with flimsy materials. Also check out the narrow wheels, not sure how good the bike would be if travelling at speed.

Now compare the Stallion to the Honda Phantom. Below is the same model and colour Honda Phantom I bought almost 14 years ago. I paid 83000  baht for the bike when it was new. I`ve kept mine in prestige condition and only recently a neighbour offered me 80000 for it, but I won`t sell.

Since new It`s required very little maintenance, no rust and I can cruse at 120kmh, no problem, although it`s only a 200cc. Tubeless tyres, wide wheels, 6 gears, and built like a tank, yet very economical on fuel. It also has an electric starter. I ridden from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and back on the bike several times, never let me down. 

If I could find a motorbike of the equivalent quality then I maybe interested. Otherwise I`m keeping my old Honda Phantom. There is no way the Stallion could compete in quality and performance.

Honda stopped making them some years ago because they couldn`t produce a motorbike of that quality standard for a decent price any more.

honda.jpg

I will give the Phantom some credit a it is over engineered for a 200 (actually 197cc) bike. It has front and rear disc brakes where the Stallion only has front disc brakes but for a light bike front disc and rear drum are plenty stopping power. Thais really like the Phantom as it only weighs 140kg and has a seat height of only 27in. The problem with the Phantom is the engine. it only has 16.5hp and 12 lb-ft of torque. Great for a light bike rider but if you are 190cm tall and weigh 95kg you have a problem. The Stallion has almost twice the hp and twice the torque. My Husqvarna riding lawn mower has more horsepower (17) than the Phantom. As for tires the Phantom runs 15s on the back and 17s on the front. My stallion has 19s rear and 18s front which make it much more versatile as I can take it off road. The quality of my Stallion is not the best but far from the worst. The only chrome on my Scrambler is the front light and it still looks new after a year. All the body parts are metal and there is no cheap plastic anywhere.  Say what you might about the Stallion but I would take it any day over the Phantom.

I should say that the Stallion will travel at 120 km/hr and has a top speed up to about 140 km/hr. However, comfortable cruising is 100 - 110 km/hr. Above this speed the bike feels busy, the vibrations increase, the wind blast is comfortable (as with any naked bike).

In my view, the Stallion is engineered for comfortable cruising up to 100 km/hr. If you want to cruise faster than this you will need to spend more money and move up to the 750 cc class.

As I've said, the engine is strong and should last for years. Components on the rest of the bike are engineered to a price and will need replacing or upgrading over time.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:22 PM, cyberfarang said:

The Honda Phantoms are becoming highly sort after now, classic motorbikes, idea as tourers and of the highest calibre style and quality.

:cheesy::cheesy:

You are joking, right?

If they are so sought after, why are there plenty on B&S for 35k ish?

Highest quality style ?

??

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:49 PM, cyberfarang said:

Also check out the narrow wheels, not sure how good the bike would be if travelling at speed.

Er, dude, those tyre sizes are the same as 60-70's Euro & Brit bikes, like ya know Triumphs and Nortons, BM's and Guzzis etc, with 50 odd BHP...

How much horsepower does your Phantom have with the fat tyre?

:cheesy:?

I`ve kept mine in prestige condition and only recently a neighbour offered me 80000 for it, but I won`t sell.

Neighbor needs to go see a doctor and change his medication...

Honda stopped making them years ago, because the market had moved on and nobody wanted to buy them anymore.

Let's be honest here.

Is there any thing more cringeworthy and embarrassing as seeing a Felang ride down the road on a Honda Phantom, with studded pretend leather PVC saddlebags and tassles on his h/bars?

They are even worse than the Honda 400 Shadow owners pretending they are riding an HD chopper...

Pitiful.

On 6/1/2018 at 8:49 PM, cyberfarang said:

... Also check out the narrow wheels, not sure how good the bike would be if travelling at speed ... Tubeless tyres, wide wheels ... 

39 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

... those tyre sizes are the same as 60-70's Euro & Brit bikes, like ya know Triumphs and Nortons, BM's and Guzzis etc, with 50 odd BHP ...

Cyberfarang, you seem to confuse wide tyres with good handling - they are not synonymous.

Tyres on your Phantom are (according to a spec. I just looked at) 90 section front and 130 rear. The Stallions 400 has 100 front, 130 rear so hardly any difference and no reason why the Stallions should be any less stable than your Phantom.

Just as a comparison, in the days before wide section tyres, my '74 Ducati 239 Desmo ran equivalent of 70 section front, 80 section rear and was good for about 150kph with excellent handling. My old '78 Ducati 900SS ran the equivalent of 90 section front, 100 section rear yet was renowned for good handling at high speed - more than 200kph was achievable. Laverda Jota - seen as a real muscle bike of the late '70s - ran 100 & 120 section tyres and was as fast as the Duke. My mate who, until recently, raced a Ducati 900SS in the Isle of Man classic races and used tyres only slightly wider in section than original yet did quite well on the most testing circuit in the world.

Narrow section tyres don't imply poor handling but the bike needs to be ridden differently to one fitted with wide section tyres - a tucked-in style and less lean rather than the knee-down you see with modern bikes when cornering - not something that applies to your Phantom, I suppose, or this Stallions bike.  

• 2 months later...

These engines have been made by Shineray for years , using the original tooling and castings  from Honda. So its a good bet some original parts will fit. These engines are also used in SWM motorcycles that are 440cc. These modern versions of Honda use fuel injection.

1 hour ago, ktm jeff said:

These engines have been made by Shineray for years , using the original tooling and castings  from Honda. So its a good bet some original parts will fit. These engines are also used in SWM motorcycles that are 440cc. These modern versions of Honda use fuel injection.

thats what i was thinking. would be good if someone has tried it but wondering if it needs the XBR conrod and wrist pin to work too

The bore on both the Stallion 400 and the SWM 440 is 70mm. Their strokes are 85mm , giving 397.2cc , and 88.9mm , giving 434.5cc. So going up 3.9mm on the bore gives an extra 37.3cc. I assume the cylinder head and valve system is unchanged. So barrel and piston required from SWM. I would think some mild gas flowing and camshaft work with an exhaust and EFI re-tune will give some very good gains. Dont forget , as standard these Shineray/Stallion/SWM engines gives more power than the carbed Yamaha SR 400.

"Let's be honest here.

Is there any thing more cringeworthy and embarrassing as seeing a Felang ride down the road on a Honda Phantom, with studded pretend leather PVC saddlebags and tassles on his h/bars?

They are even worse than the Honda 400 Shadow owners pretending they are riding an HD chopper...

Pitiful." 

Well I'm glad you weren't talking about me.Mine was 600 ? No tassles.H/bars BS.Just a mustang seat pipe re-jet /K&N filter.But I know what you mean .I remember a bloke in Udon.You'd hear the bike and it'd sound pretty good then he'd come around the corner on a phantom?

On 8/7/2015 at 3:46 PM, azerty66 said:

I do not know the price. That is why I was asking in my post...

The guys at the chop had no clue. Apparently they have to wait “a bike show in August in Bkk”.... Buy maybe some of you guys know the price already???

And what about quality? How do the 150cc from Stallons perform?

Dear fellow biker.

Just a bit of friendly advice from someone who's been, and still is in the saddle after 40 happy years of biking.

I can only guess the price will be somewhere in the 120-150k for the bike in question.I'm also not sure whether or not it's a Thai company or the Chinese who make them.Although I suspect as another poster wrote,that the nuts and bolts were rusting after only being in the rain for 3 days,that they originate from China.

My advice to you is,for the amount of money you are looking to spend,you would be far better buying a well cared for,lowish mileage Japanese bike.Over my 40 years of riding I have owned bikes from all of the four Japanese manufacturers,and apart from useables,tyres,brakes, batteries etc etc,have never had any problems with them.In fact I have never owned anything but Japanese bikes.

Whatever you choose I wish you well,just stay safe.

Everyone has their opinion. I have been riding since I was 14 and am 71 now. Had my Stallions 400 Scrambler for 2 years now and nothing is rusting unlike the rust on my wife's 1 year old Honda Scoopy's rims. It's a fun bike, not fast but not slow and very maneuverable at 160 kgs. Paid 116,000 baht for mine and I think one of the bargains out there for motorcycles.

On 8/7/2015 at 3:39 PM, Bulldozer Dawn said:

I am not say it is not a good bike.

How much, I might buy one as well. The new SR is wayyyy overpriced.

But you'll get quality and no parts will be falling off? I'm also thinking about buying such a bike once my money from a friend arrives. 

Any reports? How much? Are they reliable?

I just found this:

https://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/threads/stallions-scrambler-400.8737/

I've seen the new Royal Enfield coming in two models, both with fuel injection, one model is a one seater. Does anybody own one? 

2 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Everyone has their opinion. I have been riding since I was 14 and am 71 now. Had my Stallions 400 Scrambler for 2 years now and nothing is rusting unlike the rust on my wife's 1 year old Honda Scoopy's rims. It's a fun bike, not fast but not slow and very maneuverable at 160 kgs. Paid 116,000 baht for mine and I think one of the bargains out there for motorcycles.

Is that all it is 160kg, that would go on my 4 door truck, cause I hate highways. Wish I had known that before I bout the CRF. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Agusts said:

You can pick one of these 400cc, or many other Stallions,  up for half price direct from factory if you are near Bangkok... (they have a sale on) 

https://m.facebook.com/MoMoMotorbike/photos/a.1101997699942847/1341934279282520/?type=3&source=48

Well, that's good value.

Also a sign that it's the end. The company is finished and it's selling off all it's remaining stock for anything they can. 

2 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Could be they are closing out the old models as the Scrambler is not on that discount list and I have seen a Mash (what the Stallions are branded in Europe) 650 twin that is coming out this year.

Hope so.

But 60% just because they're eventually releasing a newer model is still pretty insane, i guess they figured out the street demands are too low and it would have take them 2 years to get rid of their current stock.

Damm the sellers must be pretty pissed off too, imagine you have 4-5 of these models in stock waiting to be sold and the factory just kills you with a 60% discount on the same model.

On 8/16/2018 at 3:41 AM, blackcap said:

has anyone tried bolting up an old Honda XBR 500 cylinder and piston to this bike?

The XBR 500 engine looks a bit different.  The Stallions/Shineray looks virtually the same as the Honda XR400 dual-sport (or XR400R), with the addition of electric start.  Like the old Honda NX4 Falcon , which was produced in Brazil , Mexico and Argentina.

Honda%20nx4%20%201.jpg

shin400.jpg

Seems as though Shineray may have come out with this engine just after Honda discontinued it:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=12001

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Falcon_NX4&prev=search

Here's a nice looking Shineray cafe racer:  http://www.shineray.com/xy400.html#b

image.png.e0fd992f5db97e4fabb80d3000c98c32.png

Wish someone would go down to this place and check it out and see if it is for real. Maybe it's like the US where they use to do a Loss-leader. Have only one at that price and when you get there they tell you it's already been sold and try to get you to buy one at the regular price.

3 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Wish someone would go down to this place and check it out and see if it is for real. Maybe it's like the US where they use to do a Loss-leader. Have only one at that price and when you get there they tell you it's already been sold and try to get you to buy one at the regular price.

I am not saying there isn't a catch, but this practice is not unusual. Clearing out obselete factory stock is very important and these bikes don't cost much to produce, so they are likely still making a profit on an end of line product.

You have to feel for the dealers though, unless they get looked after which they should do it they want to seel the new ones. So we may see a drop locally if this is the case. Hold on to your quids!!

On 10/8/2018 at 7:49 AM, Agusts said:

You can pick one of these 400cc, or many other Stallions,  up for half price direct from factory if you are near Bangkok... (they have a sale on) 

https://m.facebook.com/MoMoMotorbike/photos/a.1101997699942847/1341934279282520/?type=3&source=48

Quick!

Someone buy the yellow rigid framed chopper!  :cheesy: Only 40k! :cheesy:

Archived