Security Guards at your place?

Travel2003

I'm a 68 year old guy from Canada, ... living in a big complex with guards at the gates and in every lobby of the 5 buildings. Last week a girl was being beated and raped on my floor, .... I went to her aid while a younger and bigger guy went to get Security. I forced my way into the room and got the girl out safely, ..... police were also called but no one came to help! They are window dressing only

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Security guards at my place are great! Very vigilant, always on patrol and quite vocal at passers by.

They tend to be quite aggressive if approached and seem quite threatening on occasion.

They dont get paid, and are quite happy playing with a ball and getting fed twice a day.

Same as our both...pretend to sleep all day long but if anybody comes close to our house an inferno brakes loose and nobody would like to mess with them...because nobody knows they are actually friendly...

Yeah former neighbor had two rottweiler....The Thais were scared to death.....

Rottis are the most lovely dogs once they know you a bit, but it seems unknown here.

Rot ties are great and extreme loyal...we have one bull terrier and a blue line pitty...
Oh no! Don't talk about pibbles you'll have the world's most dangerous dog, child killer brigade out in no time.

I'm a 68 year old guy from Canada, ... living in a big complex with guards at the gates and in every lobby of the 5 buildings. Last week a girl was being beated and raped on my floor, .... I went to her aid while a younger and bigger guy went to get Security. I forced my way into the room and got the girl out safely, ..... police were also called but no one came to help! They are window dressing only

You actually expect a security guard anywhere in the world to put their life on the line for minimum wage ?

Security guards at my place are great! Very vigilant, always on patrol and quite vocal at passers by.

They tend to be quite aggressive if approached and seem quite threatening on occasion.

They dont get paid, and are quite happy playing with a ball and getting fed twice a day.

Same as our both...pretend to sleep all day long but if anybody comes close to our house an inferno brakes loose and nobody would like to mess with them...because nobody knows they are actually friendly...

Rottis are the most lovely dogs once they know you a bit, but it seems unknown here.

Rot ties are great and extreme loyal...we have one bull terrier and a blue line pitty...
Oh no! Don't talk about pibbles you'll have the world's most dangerous dog, child killer brigade out in no time.

With the entire knowledge about all things concerning canines...

You actually expect a security guard anywhere in the world to put their life on the line for minimum wage ?

One of our neighbors got into a business dispute with somebody and they sent a gang on scooters to our village to "rough" up the neighbor. They didn't get past the front gate. As soon as they found out the guards were navy, they left. Knowing the repercussions would be dire if they started anything.

"I am 85 and have drank a bottle vodka."

"The Thais were scared to death....."

Did you conduct your survey of all "The Thais" before or after getting thoroughly anesthetized?

One place we lived NOBODY got past the gate guy - retired cop - without somebody clearing them in person.....Even the property overseer had to clear in person real estate, etc that had appointments......

Very gruff......About once a week if shopping I'd bring him a cold coke and finally got a few smiles along the way.....

In our present Moo Baan - attentive - usually 2 on duty.....Cars are stopped and questioned all the time to get ID's + active bicycle patrols....No sleeping noted - but I'm sure they probably take shifts resting at night

Of course like many places someone can hop the 8' perimeter wall pretty easily if organized and serious at all.....

Dogs at maybe 35% of the houses....

No soi dogs.....

When visiting friends I usually nod or slight wave to the guard and they open up......Only recall one time being stopped - and that was at a place with a huge gate and guard house --- only problem was ot was all for main road show → you could drive through a couple of villages that had wide open roads right into the place....Koolpuntville.....

Edited by pgrahmm

We got rid of them years ago ,complete and utter waste of money ,although one of them was a nice guy and used to sweep the street. Never saw one awake at night or much in the day

We got burglarized by the security guard at our mooban within a couple of days of moving in. (He even went into our bedroom while we slept to steal phones, and wallets on the dresser...) He also did some minor maintenance around the place so he knew the lay of the land and all of the vulnerabilities. (And I admit that he exploited my inexperience and naivete.)

He had been here almost 10 years and we were not the first house he ripped off, but we didn't know that at the time. When the BIB was closing in on him with evidence of his guilt, he disappeared. Never to be seen again in these parts.

He was never replaced and no one has had any issues since.

In my opinion, having no guard is a better solution. And the four legged guards are the BEST solution!

I expect any man to protect a woman from rape for free.

if you pay good salary, you get good guards from good company its that simple, and at times the building management authorities chose their own guards from the recommendation of their friends or relatives or selecting some one as personal favor.

stop paying the moo-baan service, or if they have other services that work well deduct what you mean is the share of the security.

I think from 10 years here we only paid 3 years. Before we didn't pay because they were corrupt and we couldn't see what happens with the money. With a new leader we paid...and stopped again as it didn't work.

No we never attend the moo baan meeting....waste of time.

typical Thai way, who holds the purse strings in your house ? all what happens if you do what you suggest is the village goes down hill fast, property prices fall cant sell cos no one wants to buy in a run down village. stop listing to your Thai wife and do the right thing

stop paying the moo-baan service, or if they have other services that work well deduct what you mean is the share of the security.

I think from 10 years here we only paid 3 years. Before we didn't pay because they were corrupt and we couldn't see what happens with the money. With a new leader we paid...and stopped again as it didn't work.

typical Thai way, who holds the purse strings in your house ? all what happens if you do what you suggest is the village goes down hill fast, property prices fall cant sell cos no one wants to buy in a run down village. stop listing to your Thai wife and do the right thing

Our village assesses a 1% interest charge per month, recorded on your deed at year end. So when you eventually sell your property, the village gets what's owed. Plus interest.

Yeah, we have the same problem in our village 3 or 4 freeloaders who get the security, lighting, street sweeping, pool cleaning, gardening etc free because they won't pay their maintenance. You try and explain to them what will happen if everyone decides not to pay, and they will because people are fed up with carrying them, but the non-payers are too thick to understand, or just don't care.

Our village assesses a 1% interest charge per month, recorded on your deed at year end. So when you eventually sell your property, the village gets what's owed. Plus interest.

Who set that up for you, if you don't mind me asking? Because we have a problem with a few non-payers in our village.

Our village manager, who is the jurastic person. He went to the local government office, did all the paperwork, and does the recordings. Took several months to get it all sorted out, but it's a big stick now and we've only got one house more than a year behind. 2 years ago, about 20-25% were more than a year behind.

Our village manager, who is the jurastic person. He went to the local government office, did all the paperwork, and does the recordings. Took several months to get it all sorted out, but it's a big stick now and we've only got one house more than a year behind. 2 years ago, about 20-25% were more than a year behind.

Cheers.

Security guards really depends on the training and head guard. If the head guard is crap, the rest will be crap. My mooban use to be great at checking IDs and all. All guards fall asleep when it gets to early morning. Security company changed our head guard, now its crap again. It use to be good a good 10 years or so. We constantly have to complain bout guards not exchanging ids, and letting cars in without checking, etc.

I think your mooban management should be on the backs of the guards too, just letting them be is no solution.

I think people have to know that many guards become guards because they are not qualified for other jobs, so can't expect too much from them as well.

Our guards are totally changed every year without prior notice. One day that scared me because suddenly we had soldiers with helmets and boots all over the park. They were the new guards though and did an excellent job.

Before them we had lazy idiots on crappy noisy bikes, i liked to horn to them when they were sleeping in their booths but even that didn't help.

Now we have a new team again and they do a good job. I gave some of them food and drinks and now they all great me all the time (which i don't like).

When they have nothing to do they even sweet the floors.

But the electric boom seems a bit difficult to understand to them, i had the boom on my helmet twice while passing it. Also about ever 2 months the boom is totally broken off by some accident. Now they even have soft rubber on it so it won't damage cars.

But reading this thread i should be very happy with our team. Today i will buy them a huge box of KFC to share. Honestly they do a perfect job.

Edited by Thian

But they might be corrupt....I might be able to bribe them with sausage.....

Someone told me a few chocolate bars would do the trick with dogs.

Not sure if that is just an urban myth.

It is most definitely not a "myth". Chocolate contains compounds that dogs' systems cannot break down. Enough of a pure type of chocolate (like Baker's) can kill a dog.

you must've realised now EVERYTHING in Thailand is for show.

The security guards in our building seems to do a good job. They have the appropriate technology, i.e. CCTV, two-way speakers in the elevators, etc, to help them do their jobs, too. They really do watch. One time, I pushed the emergency button in the elevator by accident and got an instant response over the speaker.

And I've known them to risk their life -- going out on the ledge outside the fifth floor to retrieve a cat who fell out of a 7th floor window. Actually they've done this several times. (I wish people on the upper floors would watch their cats.) Our unit is on the fifth floor and is the best access point to that fifth floor ledge. A surprisingly number of the cats appear to be just fine, even after falling 3 - 4 stories. Much more than it's not so good.

• 3 months later...

My Mobaan has now equipped all units with a remote control (to keep in the car), and a new remote controlled)bar.

This, so we do not need to wake up the Security Guard after dark, if we need to leave or return home.

Don't believe me?

I will provide pictures, video, and of course name of the Mobaan.

I live in KKC, the "Elephants Graveyard".

We all come her to do nothing............................and then die.

The security guards in our building seems to do a good job. They have the appropriate technology, i.e. CCTV, two-way speakers in the elevators, etc, to help them do their jobs, too. They really do watch. One time, I pushed the emergency button in the elevator by accident and got an instant response over the speaker.

And I've known them to risk their life -- going out on the ledge outside the fifth floor to retrieve a cat who fell out of a 7th floor window. Actually they've done this several times. (I wish people on the upper floors would watch their cats.) Our unit is on the fifth floor and is the best access point to that fifth floor ledge. A surprisingly number of the cats appear to be just fine, even after falling 3 - 4 stories. Much more than it's not so good.

A Thai Security Guard to risk their life?

I have to ask...................and you are from???

;)

I dont expect them to run away like a headless chicken

no guard is a requirement of rental for me. if in doubt i ask without saying why or offering an opinion on the matter (in case they are gone that day and show up later. had this happen at one place did not see a guard booth so went for it, guard comes in later and flops on couch by the door all night :) also, no keys can you knock each time so he wakes up to unlock the door? haha)

the saluting guard has been the bane of many places ive stayed, esp thailand.

i guess its a thai thing to be catered to, most foreigners prefer privacy. monitor of every in and out and also visitors is both weird and legally dangerous for you since they serve as witnesses to any allegations and will report to police as such.

finally found a nice place where the door was not monitored. could not be happier :)

Edited by fey