'Anna Reese' rejects Bt6.2mil settlement sought by dead cop’s family

webfact

So cos there is a "farang" connection stuff is different for her....?????

A zillion folk get waisted ever year on Thai roads, what do Thai folk pay...?

I'm not convinced it's her being half Thai, Its she's a celebrity who happens to be half Thai. Its her being celebrity that ups the cash which is fare imo.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how her next film or tv show will do. One would think people would be disgusted.....however, here it may soar.....Perhaps she could do a adult diaper commercial.

Edited by NickJ

I Wonder how much the wife of the Chilean cyclist, Francisco Villa, attempting to set a World Record, got from the reckless driver that killed him ... ?

Oh, how stupid of me .. Killer was thai and victim foreigner so no bloodmoney to victims Family or meetings at the Police there ... sick.gifsick.gifsick.gif

Why is the payout from insurance capped at 1.2mn? The policies cost the same as the west?

The offence is worth more than 5mn...someone died. This is the start of evening up Thai society.

My annual policy here costs about the same as a monthly payment on a policy back home. And I got the maximum liability coverage they'd write me under an auto policy. And it ain't enough.

Edited by impulse

The only reason this dickering over settlement is going on is duel of the RTP involvment. The job of a policeman is to enforce written law and protect and servie the general population /residenys (includinhg tourists)

The settlement between potential claiments in any action which could lead to ligitagition in the courts is absolutly non of their business nor corcern..

Except of course for settlement brokerage fees!

Why is the payout from insurance capped at 1.2mn? The policies cost the same as the west?

The offence is worth more than 5mn...someone died. This is the start of evening up Thai society.

My annual policy here costs about the same as a monthly payment on a policy back home. And I got the maximum liability coverage they'd write me under an auto policy. And it ain't enough.

Indeed, paying 25k per year for insurance but a capped payout of 1.25 mn shows how this useless closed shop of a system lines the pockets of the wealthiest and screws the little guy. The premiums are very steep in Thailand for pitiful cover.

Indeed, paying 25k per year for insurance but a capped payout of 1.25 mn shows how this useless closed shop of a system lines the pockets of the wealthiest and screws the little guy. The premiums are very steep in Thailand for pitiful cover.

I pay <5K, but that's because the truck is old enough I can only get 3rd class. Still I never buy collision or compreshensive back home, either. I just max out on the liability coverage in both places and count on my savings to repair or replace the car if I wreck it or it gets stolen.

Even without collision or comprehensive, the liability itself back home is about 10x what it is here.

Edited by impulse

• So much for becoming a nun...
  • Insurance should be at least ten fold
  • 5 Million Bahts, that I presume is peanuts to her but there again her insurance should have paid more
  • The guy was working, should not they have life insurance as part of the job that pays out triple in the event of losing his life in carrying out his duties.

What I would like for her to do is pay for the best education (school fees, uniforms, books, etc) for his kids including university if they make the grade.

• So much for becoming a nun...
  • Insurance should be at least ten fold
  • 5 Million Bahts, that I presume is peanuts to her but there again her insurance should have paid more
  • The guy was working, should not they have life insurance as part of the job that pays out triple in the event of losing his life in carrying out his duties.

What I would like for her to do is pay for the best education (school fees, uniforms, books, etc) for his kids including university if they make the grade.

She doesn't give a &lt;deleted&gt;!

Why would she have to pay anything at all? The insurance should take care of that and anything more would have to be settled by a court order first. Its those settlements that create 'a justice for sale' climate in Thailand.

Edited by SoilSpoil

Do the crime, serve the time!

20 million for a life and a get out of jail card is cheap, too cheap.

I hope the Policemans wife holds firm.

And from Post #26 above:

Why is she even walking about, she KILLED someone, she should be in Jail, or in ''Custody''.. ???

How could you live with yourself, after doing something like this, and going about your day to day stuff ???

beyond me....

And when you or a loved one has an accident and someone dies? What will you say then?

Edited by impulse

As she has,nt been convicted of any crime i,m confused why she has to pay anything, thats what insurance is for?

I don't get it. The only reason she should be worried is if she is concerned she will lose a civil case.

I imagined if the cops family wanted more they should be taking the insurance company to court? her worry should be the loss of the no claims bonus and the cost of future premiums.

As she has,nt been convicted of any crime i,m confused why she has to pay anything, thats what insurance is for?

I don't get it. The only reason she should be worried is if she is concerned she will lose a civil case.

I imagined if the cops family wanted more they should be taking the insurance company to court? her worry should be the loss of the no claims bonus and the cost of future premiums.

Who advised her to start trying to settle this? Very stupid move.

If it was a young biker that was in question here, what would the settlement be...?

A simple question, what would a Thai pay.....?

Folk here want to bury someone cos there is a farang BLOOD involvement....

Just tell me why..?

I guess 5m to a rich person is not as much as 5 mil to someone on 10k a month. Im not sure its because she is half falang but more to do with her not being poor.

5 million is to a rich person exactly as much as to a poor person, because both can buy the exact same things for that money.

The reason the insurance pays only 1.2 million is because that is the price they value a life in Thailand, because the driver who caused the accident is rich doesn't make that life more valuable.

You lack a basic grasp of legal liability. Suppose I run you over causing severe bodily injury which requires USD 300,000 to treat. (You may have other losses such as loss of income, damage to your property, or pain and suffering, but we'll ignore those to keep the example simple.) Now, previously you had forseen the possiblity of injuring another person and so you bought liability insurance which will pay any victim or a single, negligent action of yours no more than USD 100,000. The insurance company promptly pays your accident viction the USD 100,000. Now the victim is still out of pocket another USD 200,000. What is he to do? In the US he promptly sues you and anyone else who might possibly be held responsible to any degree. When you bought the insurance policy all you bought was the willingness of the insurance company to pay out no more than the USD 100,000. You did not buy any right not to be held responsible for any injuries you caused beyond what the policy provides. There is no such right. You are responsible for your actions.

In the US your victim would hire a lawyer to get at least the remaining USD 200,000 out of you. There might be some negotiation and an out-of-court settlement is possible, but it's likely that you will not agree to pay anything near the USD 200k so the victim sues you in court. If he wins damages that you will be required to pay may be anything from a token indication of blame of a few dollars to a sum that, including penalties, might be far more than the original USD 200,000. Your liability is whatever a jury says it is.

Thai people resort to lawsuits much less frequently. Instead there is an informal system of negotiation for compensation which frequently involves the police as a kind of third party. The police do not adjudicate. Instead the whole process is geared toward finding a solution that is acceptable to all parties rather than a decision that is "fair" in the abstract. There are advantages and disadvantages to such a system. But at least there is a system that is accessible to everyone and seems to produce acceptable results frequently enough.

Unfortuneatly, these pathetic Hi-So people can eveade any financial implications imposed upon them.....if she says no.......that's pretty much the end............they are a dispicable part of the Thai society!

Wealthy or poor she had insurance and if a life here only has the value of 6.2 million so be it, thats what the family get..i see no reason she should be in any kind of financial negotiations at any police station.

You lack a basic grasp of legal liability. Suppose I run you over causing severe bodily injury which requires USD 300,000 to treat. (You may have other losses such as loss of income, damage to your property, or pain and suffering, but we'll ignore those to keep the example simple.) Now, previously you had forseen the possiblity of injuring another person and so you bought liability insurance which will pay any victim or a single, negligent action of yours no more than USD 100,000. The insurance company promptly pays your accident viction the USD 100,000. Now the victim is still out of pocket another USD 200,000. What is he to do? In the US he promptly sues you and anyone else who might possibly be held responsible to any degree. When you bought the insurance policy all you bought was the willingness of the insurance company to pay out no more than the USD 100,000. You did not buy any right not to be held responsible for any injuries you caused beyond what the policy provides. There is no such right. You are responsible for your actions.

In the US your victim would hire a lawyer to get at least the remaining USD 200,000 out of you. There might be some negotiation and an out-of-court settlement is possible, but it's likely that you will not agree to pay anything near the USD 200k so the victim sues you in court. If he wins damages that you will be required to pay may be anything from a token indication of blame of a few dollars to a sum that, including penalties, might be far more than the original USD 200,000. Your liability is whatever a jury says it is.

Thai people resort to lawsuits much less frequently. Instead there is an informal system of negotiation for compensation which frequently involves the police as a kind of third party. The police do not adjudicate. Instead the whole process is geared toward finding a solution that is acceptable to all parties rather than a decision that is "fair" in the abstract. There are advantages and disadvantages to such a system. But at least there is a system that is accessible to everyone and seems to produce acceptable results frequently enough.

So your saying she was under insured?

If the woman involved in the accident earned below 10k per month and had zero in her bank account would they still be negotiating at the police station?

5 million is to a rich person exactly as much as to a poor person, because both can buy the exact same things for that money.

The reason the insurance pays only 1.2 million is because that is the price they value a life in Thailand, because the driver who caused the accident is rich doesn't make that life more valuable.

It is not what the money will buy but what is left afterwards...

Most Thai could not raise that sort of money...and for those that can it could be all their life savings or they could be so rich that even if they accidentally added another "0" to the Cheque they would not notice it.

Seems to me she is a spoilt ***** that could do with some time in Cell Block H ..ell.

As for the looking after the policeman's family, this should be the responsibility of his employers as he was working at the time...

So your saying she was under insured?

If the woman involved in the accident earned below 10k per month and had zero in her bank account would they still be negotiating at the police station?

Yes, she under-insured herself.

If the reckless driver had no money, it is true that there would probably be less negotiation although the guilty party might conceivably have to pay out over time. The same would be true in the US where only a fool would sue a person with no assets. Do you think this Reese person should not be financially liable for the death she recklessly caused because a poor person could not be forced to pay?