Knocked over by the generous bonus "gift" from Makro today.

giddyup

Did our usual big monthly shop at Makro today. Usually buy all our fruit and veges plus meat ther and then the rest of what we need from Tesco. Anyway, out bill was probably slightly more than normal, just over 5000 baht, and the checkout lady said go down to the counter at the end for your bonus gift. Talk about generous, it was a 20 baht tin of tuna that probably cost Makro 10 baht. Jokes aside, it was a bloody insult.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent 10k at Tesco a few weeks ago and got a truckload of plastic containers. Ok, they weren't top quality stuff, but they were probably worth about 400B retail.

The bonus was that the missus had been eyeing up some super duper plastic containers at Central Festival that were worth four times that for some brand name stuff the prior week and I could now tell her not to bother when I rocked up home with the free stuff.

Thanks for saving me 2,000B Tesco.

Oh......and in a similar vein - if you spend 300B or more at the foodcourt at Central Festival you get a free bag (looks like a sort of a make-up bag or similar) when you surrender your receipt at customer services. But the real crusher is that the offer is for Foreign Tourists ONLY!!!!

Should have heard the missus go pear shaped when she read the advertising poster. Priceless!! whistling.gif

A lot of business's will spend in excess of 50,000 Baht a week in Makro,never mind a month, it is a cash and carry after all, i think you should be happy that a monthly spend of 5000 baht was even acknowledged at all.

Big C or Tesco is the place for regular free <deleted> plastic boxes and other useless <deleted> items to clutter your house if that is what floats your boat!!

A lot of business's will spend in excess of 50,000 Baht a week in Makro,never mind a month, it is a cash and carry after all, i think you should be happy that a monthly spend of 5000 baht was even acknowledged at all.

Big C or Tesco is the place for regular free <deleted> plastic boxes and other useless <deleted> items to clutter your house if that is what floats your boat!!

I think I would have preferred non-acknowledgement to a 20 baht tin of tuna. I know a lot of businesses shop there, I see trolley loads ahead of me in the line-up, but quite often they spend half of what we do, even though it looks like a lot.

Makro are disgustingly cheap.

In this day and age they still do not supply carry bags.

Never heard of advertising.

Then again I do believe they originated in Holland, so what else would you expect from the Dutch. (sorry, I have a Dutch friend and I have never met anyone soooo cheap) he even bought a refrigerator with a glass door. Wanted to make sure the light wet off.

Good night.

I'm pretty sure that the bonus gifts at Makro are not supplied by Makro but rather by the suppliers. Whenever we have gotten a bonus it has always been related to something we have bought, e.g. buy a twelve pack of Cokes and get a free can of Coke or buy a bag of 20 kg. Smart Heart dry dog food and get a free can of Smart Hearth wet dog food. So the gift has nothing to do with how much you have spent, but only if you have bought a specific product that has a promotion.

Sophon

I bought a refridgerator at Big C.....Got a free fan and 1000b store credit for whatever I wanted to apply it towards. The same fridge was 500 b more at Makro . so. really 2800 b more if you add the value of the fan.......

Never heard of advertising.

Then again I do believe they originated in Holland, so what else would you expect from the Dutch. (sorry, I have a Dutch friend and I have never met anyone soooo cheap) he even bought a refrigerator with a glass door. Wanted to make sure the light wet off.

Good night.

Very funny, yes they can be.

but they are very friendly bunch.. but a bit tight

Admittedly a bit off topic but somehow related .....

Many years ago in my ad exec days I was a consultant for the agency in Bangkok that handled Makro - who did and do advertise.

They were going to have a party for their 2,000 of their local suppliers and their senior staff.

Proposal after proposal was submitted until finally we were told that the budget was 100 baht per supplier attending (not including their staff) which was around 200 in total.

We had to surrender the project because we could not find a venue, supply food and entertainment that cheap for 5,000 people !!

Isn't Makro owned by CP ?

When Tesco UK. had some worries early this year CP said they would like to be considered a buyer of Tesco Thailand, if it was put up for sale.That would set the cat among the pigeons.

BAYBOY.

This is deliberate. It's a cash-and-carry operation and they expect people to buy in wholesale quantities, as indeed most do. Small bags would be ridiculous.

I think they do sell large re-usable bags at the checkouts.

And of course it should be remembered that in many civilised countries small free plastic bags have been completely banned for ecological reasons. That should happen here too as Thailand probably uses more plastic bags per head of population than any other country.

This is deliberate. It's a cash-and-carry operation and they expect people to buy in wholesale quantities, as indeed most do. Small bags would be ridiculous.

And of course it should be remembered that in many civilised countries small free plastic bags have been completely banned for ecological reasons. That should happen here too as Thailand probably uses more plastic bags per head of population than any other country.

Exactly and it's a good idea forcing people to either buy plastic bags or wear pants with lots of pockets.

Makro is one of the few retailers in thailand with a progressive policy towards plastic bags. Whatever the reasoning behind it, I give them much credit for it. It at least introduces the concept of conservation into the Thai mind. Something very few have ever considered. I carry my own reusable bags where ever I go. People look at me like I am from another planet. Once in a while I see a glimmer of recognition of what I am trying to accomplish. Same with water. I carry my own bottle into the restaurant, that I fill from the recyclable 20 liter bottles I get at home. I figure I save about 600 plastic bottles a year. Only had one restaurant complain about it in ten years. I told them to eat me.

People look at me as if to say, why would you not want plastic? Plastic is good. No effort has ever been made by any of the non visionary leaders this country has suffered under, to eradicate the Thai obsession with plastic. So, kudos to Makro for this policy.

Edited by spidermike007

What is the purpose of the 'checking' of your bill by the guy/woman standing just next to the check-out by the door.? Often wondered.coffee1.gif

I thought they were trying to p!ss me off.coffee1.gif