Knocked over by the generous bonus "gift" from Makro today.

giddyup

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Makro is one of the few retailers in thailand with a progressive policy towards plastic bags. Whatever the reasoning behind it, I give them much credit for it. It at least introduces the concept of conservation into the Thai mind.

Tesco has (or had) a points system that encourages you to carry a re-usable bag. By doing so you earn extra points every time you pass the checkout and show your member card and the bag. Of course they still give out loads of disposable plastic bags on request, like BigC and 7/11 etc.

I never go in. Buy a Leo next door n wait.

I never buy my beer and some other things at Makro either simply because I prefer to use my no foreign transaction fee U.S. credit card (which earns me 1.5% cash back and reduces me need to bring money into Thailand) and the price is exactly the same as at Lotus, Big C, Foodland, etc (as already mentioned not only for beer but many things). You can use a Citibank Thailand credit card at Makro but they don't accept any other Thailand credit/debit card nor foreign credit/debit cards. I can use my credit card at Lotus, Big C, Foodland, etc.

Makro is good for buying some of your needs especially when you want to buy large amounts of something by the case, packs, bags of 2 or 3, etc.,...and many, many mom & pop stores and businesses buy their stock from Makro since these stores/businesses do say when buying the large quantities by the case/pack/etc.. But otherwise, for the individual buying basic, small quantity household needs and maybe some selected items it really don't have much to offer over Lotus, Big C, Foodland, Tops, etc., price-wise or product offering-wise.

With that being said I probably do 25% of my grocery shopping there...and there is one close by....or should I say the wife does approx 25% of our grocery shopping there...the other 75% is done primarily at Lotus and Foodland.

Big C got the best promotions when it comes to" free gifts". I receive text messages almost weekly, shop for 800 and get 80 baht free next time , and lots of points will get you some interesting bonus gifts. It's the highlight of my day.

Yeap...I get a lot of discount coupons in the mai from Lotus also...and many times on the receipts when checking out. And some of the coupons are cash vouchers not specific to any product. Makro don't do that.

What is the purpose of the 'checking' of your bill by the guy/woman standing just next to the check-out by the door.? Often wondered.coffee1.gif

Probably the same as the 18 people standing around the electronics section of Tesco.....The ones you ask "Where can I find a computer mouse?" and they point off in some vague direction.

I used Makro in the UK always found it to be a myth that they were cheaper than supermarkets .....only found that Becks beer was always on offer.....which I bought for the bar

Having said that....their Danish blue cheese is a very good price

Edited by DD13

What is the purpose of the 'checking' of your bill by the guy/woman standing just next to the check-out by the door.? Often wondered.coffee1.gif

Probably the same as the 18 people standing around the electronics section of Tesco.....The ones you ask "Where can I find a computer mouse?" and they point off in some vague direction.

To do a spot comparison between what is in your cart and on the receipt... Make sure the checkout clerks charged you for everything...to make sure clerks are not working with customers to steal/shoplift. That's why you see the same thing happening at some other stores like a Global House hardware store I occasionally use and even on a random basis at the Lotus I use... The stores are basically trying to prevent theft.

What is the purpose of the 'checking' of your bill by the guy/woman standing just next to the check-out by the door.? Often wondered.

To do a spot comparison between what is in your cart and on the receipt... Make sure the checkout clerks charged you for everything...to make sure clerks are not working with customers to steal/shoplift. That's why you see the same thing happening at some other stores like a Global House hardware store I occasionally use and even on a random basis at the Lotus I use... The stores are basically trying to prevent theft.

Jeez. Why do you want to go and rain on some great Thai bashing with.....facts???

Makro are disgustingly cheap.

In this day and age they still do not supply carry bags.

Never heard of advertising.

Then again I do believe they originated in Holland, so what else would you expect from the Dutch. (sorry, I have a Dutch friend and I have never met anyone soooo cheap) he even bought a refrigerator with a glass door. Wanted to make sure the light wet off.

Good night.

Yes its a Dutch company and real cheap, its far better as Tesco here in Thailand. That is what its selling point is being cheap.

Nice story about your Dutch friend, but sounds a bit unbelievable as a glass door refrigerator would be a lot more expensive, and cheap Dutch are not stupid.

As for the bags I wish more companies would do that, have you ever seen the plastic bags here in Thailand. When I used to shop in the Makro I took my own bags. Most people with half a brain remember that after 1 trip an prepare.

What is the purpose of the 'checking' of your bill by the guy/woman standing just next to the check-out by the door.? Often wondered.

Jeez. Why do you want to go and rain on some great Thai bashing with.....facts???

Yes, but do they really check? I see them glance at the receipt and then into the cart, but when you have 6 big Makro bags full, do they actually identify an item? Methinks not.

Yes, but do they really check? I see them glance at the receipt and then into the cart, but when you have 6 big Makro bags full, do they actually identify an item? Methinks not.

Ever heard of a random check of some products to compare. Of course its no detail check that you even think that way speaks volumes. Pib was 100% right.

I've been checked a few times when the cashier forgot to remove or disable the anti-theft tag and the alarm went off when I went through the detector.

And I've seen them check some people who didn't come through the cashier lines and were carrying bags of stuff that they apparently walked in with.

Ever heard of a random check of some products to compare. Of course its no detail check that you even think that way speaks volumes. Pib was 100% right.

Sorry, your comment makes no sense to me. What are they "randomly" checking if they aren't actually identifying an item, which was my point, and what about is it about my comment that "speaks volumes"?

Sorry, your comment makes no sense to me. What are they "randomly" checking if they aren't actually identifying an item, which was my point, and what about is it about my comment that "speaks volumes"?

The speak volumes means you have no idea about procedures and checks but you just needed to comment.

Here is how it goes they just check a few of the items not all.. at random. (sometimes looking at the more expensive ones). A detail check is just not feasible and a random check if done correctly works. Its a similar principle to doing polls if you have the correct sample group you can predict and check things.

Part of my education as an accountant was a course on fraud how to spot it cost effectively and what measures to put in place.

The speak volumes means you have no idea about procedures and checks but you just needed to comment.

Here is how it goes they just check a few of the items not all.. at random. (sometimes looking at the more expensive ones). A detail check is just not feasible and a random check if done correctly works. Its a similar principle to doing polls if you have the correct sample group you can predict and check things.

Part of my education as an accountant was a course on fraud how to spot it cost effectively and what measures to put in place.

You just don't get it do you, you're always too fixated on trying to be right. My point was, and try and read it slowly so you grasp it, that a glance at a receipt and a glance into a packed cart with full bags, could not possibly identify anything. Our receipt is usually at least a metre long, so are you trying to tell me that he picks an item from the receipt, then identifies it among 6 bags of packed groceries? Don't bother responding, because you are just doing your usual flame act and I'm not interested in getting into pointless arguments with you, I've seen it too many times before.

Yes its a Dutch company and real cheap, its far better as Tesco here in Thailand. That is what its selling point is being cheap.

As far as I know it's now 100% Thai and part of the CP group.

I think their main selling point is not cheapness per se but wholesale pack sizes which generally do work out cheaper, of course. The other supermarkets tend to sell resale pack sizes, though they do also have some "jumbo" selections.

You just don't get it do you, you're always too fixated on trying to be right. My point was, and try and read it slowly so you grasp it, that a glance at a receipt and a glance into a packed cart with full bags, could not possibly identify anything. Our receipt is usually at least a metre long, so are you trying to tell me that he picks an item from the receipt, then identifies it among 6 bags of packed groceries? Don't bother responding, because you are just doing your usual flame act and I'm not interested in getting into pointless arguments with you, I've seen it too many times before.

I know i could pick out things on that list even if its a meter long and identify them. Its not that hard at all. Anyone with half a brain can do that.

Ill give you a hint first you look first in the cart at things you can quickly identify then look at the list (not the other-way around).

I think their main selling point is not cheapness per se but wholesale pack sizes which generally do work out cheaper, of course. The other supermarkets tend to sell resale pack sizes, though they do also have some "jumbo" selections.

Dutch origin as far as I know, not sure if the Thai branch is 100% Thai just google it they started in the Netherlands are now all over the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makro

I know i could pick out things on that list even if its a meter long and identify them. Its not that hard at all. Anyone with half a brain can do that.

Ill give you a hint first you look first in the cart at things you can quickly identify then look at the list (not the other-way around).

Yes, but you walk on water, not everyone is as gifted as you.giggle.gif

Yes, but you walk on water, not everyone is as gifted as you.giggle.gif

Nah im just average your below par if you can't complete that simple task (checking a few items at random you can see in a cart against a list)

I find the generosity of Makro overwhelming. cheesy.gif

Told my Thai wife this.

Her response "Or get nothing !"

Foreigner mentality Thai mentality. Worlds apart.

You pay for your discounts one way or the other.. i prefer lower prices on all stuff instead of a bonus gift that is why i like Makro.

You either pay more for your product and can look at a generous gift or you pay less and get no gift (but at least you could spend your money on the products that you wanted)

Dutch origin as far as I know, not sure if the Thai branch is 100% Thai just google it they started in the Netherlands are now all over the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makro

Yes, Makro here used to be a joint Dutch-Thai venture but CP bought their partner out about 2 years ago, which is why I said "now 100% Thai".

had the same response yesterday at Tesco Korat, just the point, but by God if u look at a fan, u have 10 sales clerks start ding around

Makro are disgustingly cheap.

In this day and age they still do not supply carry bags.

Never heard of advertising.

Then again I do believe they originated in Holland, so what else would you expect from the Dutch. (sorry, I have a Dutch friend and I have never met anyone soooo cheap) he even bought a refrigerator with a glass door. Wanted to make sure the light wet off.

Good night.

Nice story about your Dutch friend, but sounds a bit unbelievable as a glass door refrigerator would be a lot more expensive, and cheap Dutch are not stupid.

As for the bags I wish more companies would do that, have you ever seen the plastic bags here in Thailand. When I used to shop in the Makro I took my own bags. Most people with half a brain remember that after 1 trip an prepare.

I'm sure it was supposed to be a Joke, which I thought humorous