The queue for immigration this morning.

DavidOxon

IMO, there ain't no NEW address. Just use the old one coz Immig just picks up the big bag of 90 day reports from the Lamphun PO each evening. Then they carry it away and process the forms. To tell the truth i am very thankful Immig does not charge 100/200/400 baht per report. IT'S FREE!! Yeah, postage is 43 baht.

postage is 26-32 Baht (both ways) rong tabien.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am going to try to mail in on wednesday. do i have to use large envelopes not to fold the photocopies or can i use a regular envelope?

thank you for helping to calm my nerves :-)

I folded mine into 1/3s and put in business correspondence sized envelope. (Don't forget to include a SASE for the return.)

thanks! do we have to sign each photocopy?

yes of course.

i am going to try to mail in on wednesday. do i have to use large envelopes not to fold the photocopies or can i use a regular envelope?

I folded mine into 1/3s and put in business correspondence sized envelope. (Don't forget to include a SASE for the return.)

You are supposed to sign each copy, I believe. That said, I forgot to on my last mail in and they processed it anyway.

If you send it EMS both ways, it's 37 thb each way for a total of 74 thb.

You are supposed to sign each copy, I believe. That said, I forgot to on my last mail in and they processed it anyway.

If you send it EMS both ways, it's 37 thb each way for a total of 74 thb.

thanks. i now seem its on the steps. I've gotten myself into a real nervous state over sending it in! :-)

Just a note to the mail-in 90 Day subject My next renewal was 17th

I mailed in my forms to the old office on Tuesday 11th and received the new slip today 18th.

I cant understand anyone not using the mail-in method unless they get some pleasure from a self inflicted uncomfortable experience at the new immigration office

I mailed in my forms to the old office on Tuesday 11th and received the new slip today 18th.

I cant understand anyone not using the mail-in method unless they get some pleasure from a self inflicted uncomfortable experience at the new immigration office

If you read some of the previous posts in this and other threads on the topic, apparently there is some percentage of the expat population whose lives are so mundane that spending the day standing outside in the midst of a petting zoo is their idea of entertainment.

That is easy to say with hindsight...

The on-line method is hit and miss.

I seem to recall reports of confirmation slips from mail-in not being returned.

(These methods, however. are particularly useful for people living a distance from the office)

But...previously, at the old office, you could turn up at almost any time, get a queue number and have the 90 day report done for sure within 10 to 30 minutes.

How things have changed...

Not everyone has been mailing in as the old office could process a 90 day report any time you showed up almost with a turnaround of 1-2 hours. For some people who live close to the old office this was acceptable. Only since the move to Promenada has it become an all day job. I expect everyone will be mailing from now on. I have had no personal mail delivered for one and half years, only bills arrive. I may post and have to visit in person when nothing is posted back? A few other posters have problems with the post. This is why visiting the old office was no problem for some people. Most people have been caught out by believing the move to Prom was going to improve CM Immigration performance. No warnings were issued that the new office would struggle to handle 90 day reports.

Here is one other option for 90 day reporting.

If you happen to be out of town, say Pattaya/Jomtien, anywhere with a more efficient system, you can do your 90 days at the local imm office using your hotel, guesthouse, whatever, as your address.

It worked for me. Amazingly quick and easy.

I repeat, it works. I have since done it at CM office.

Not everyone has been mailing in as the old office could process a 90 day report any time you showed up almost with a turnaround of 1-2 hours. For some people who live close to the old office this was acceptable. Only since the move to Promenada has it become an all day job. I expect everyone will be mailing from now on. I have had no personal mail delivered for one and half years, only bills arrive. I may post and have to visit in person when nothing is posted back? A few other posters have problems with the post. This is why visiting the old office was no problem for some people. Most people have been caught out by believing the move to Prom was going to improve CM Immigration performance. No warnings were issued that the new office would struggle to handle 90 day reports.

Surely registered or EMS gets through?

Surely registered or EMS gets through?

The 90 day will be registered so i hope it does come through. Normal unregistered post and airmail from the UK doesn't arrive. I generally tell people not to bother posting anything to me from the UK. Fingers crossed the my postal reports will run smooth registered both ways.

That is easy to say with hindsight...

The on-line method is hit and miss.

I seem to recall reports of confirmation slips from mail-in not being returned.

(These methods, however. are particularly useful for people living a distance from the office)

But...previously, at the old office, you could turn up at almost any time, get a queue number and have the 90 day report done for sure within 10 to 30 minutes.

How things have changed...

Yes, they have changed. And, until the on-line service is organized and reliable, except for last-minute forgetfulness or some unusual problem, the mail is the way to go for the great majority of people, especially those from outside the city.

One reason it is the way to go is the burden on site at Promenada. People who could just as easily go to the post office jam things up for people all too often and just add to an often miserable scene. I feel sorry for anyone who apparently goes because it is a social occasion, as some posters allude to.

If you don't get a registered receipt back (despite the overwhelming number of people reporting no problem) then you do have your registered mail receipt to prove it was sent. So, don't panic! No one is going to put you on Air Indonesia to Djkarta. Heaven forbid!

No one with a satisfactory registered mail receipt has ever been fined that I can recall being reported here, and i rather doubt anyone would be. By the way, EMS is totally unnecessary.

So, relax! Yes, things have changed, but why should expats complicate things unnecessarily! And this DOES seem to happen often, such as not being prepared with correct report form and accompanying forms. Everything you need including guidance is online either on TV Chiangmai (above pinned instructions) or on line with Immigration.

Otherwise, it does seem that Immigration could do a much better job of laying it out for people with better communications and on-site signage, not that people pay that much attention! I did notice on my annual extension visit that signage has improved a lot in recent years since Immigration has been so overwhelmed. I don't know about the signage at Promenada because I always mail in reports, but I can well imagine that it will take some time to get it all together.

Aren't there more important things to worry about or do than hassle on-site 90-day reporting ?!

By the way, EMS is totally unnecessary.

it is completely unnecessary, is slower, less reliable, and costs more money. why would anyone use it if they are not sending something that has a value of cca. 2500 Bath and is concerned about the insurance? also it sometimes takes them up to 5 days to update the tracking info.

If you happen to be out of town, say Pattaya/Jomtien, anywhere with a more efficient system, you can do your 90 days at the local imm office using your hotel, guesthouse, whatever, as your address.

I had thought about that.But don't you have to report change of address TM28 before doing the 90 day report?

I wager you are absolutely correct, Thailand. Problem is that very few people seem to know about, let alone comply with this requirement. Those who reside in hotels, guesthouses, condos, and with residential chanote holders rely on "management" or owners to do the necessary. Guess what happens, or doesn't happen. I rather like AMEXPAT's dodge, and I say that fully cognizant that I will lose my status as a straight arrow bureaucrat lover and toady! Too bad it won't clear up the mess of uninformed or late filers at Promenada.

The reality is, of course, that Immigration is overwhelmed by the nativist requirements for registration of foreigners. The "problem" with English speakers who hang out here on ThaiVisa is miniscule compared with the problems with political and economic non-immigrants and illegal aliens from adjoining countries.

Well, anyway, shame on you, Thailand, for making more people nervous !! biggrin.png

My annual renewal is due by the 13th next month. Seeing as I will have to most likely spend all day in the process, I am going to drive to Mae Sot. I did this once before and the immigration part took maybe 10-15 minutes. As far as 90 day reports, the wife has been doing them for me for this past year.

My annual renewal is due by the 13th next month. Seeing as I will have to most likely spend all day in the process, I am going to drive to Mae Sot. I did this once before and the immigration part took maybe 10-15 minutes. As far as 90 day reports, the wife has been doing them for me for this past year.

Drive to Mae Sot ??!!

Aside from being a LONG drive on twisty roads, there is, I believe, an administrative problem. Mae Sot is in Tak Province, I believe, and you must, I believe, renew your extension of stay in your provincial Immigration office of residence.

By the way, here's a reference to Mae Sot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mae_Sot_District

To the best of my knowledge Immigration put a stop to this earlier this year.

I was refused a 90 day report in Korat because I got my retirement in Rayong and they said I must return to Rayong to do my 90 day report. I had notified Korat of my change of address last year but it didnt make any difference.

A lot of members on here reported the same thing.

coffee1.gif

Drive to Mae Sot ??!!

Aside from being a LONG drive on twisty roads, there is, I believe, an administrative problem. Mae Sot is in Tak Province, I believe, and you must, I believe, renew your extension of stay in your provincial Immigration office of residence.

By the way, here's a reference to Mae Sot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mae_Sot_District

So you stay the night (or two) in a Mae Sot hotel, renew your extension while staying at that hotel, then drive back to CM and notify them of your new address.

I was refused a 90 day report in Korat because I got my retirement in Rayong and they said I must return to Rayong to do my 90 day report. I had notified Korat of my change of address last year but it didnt make any difference.

coffee1.gif

OK, something new. BTW, where on TV did the members report this same thing? Thanks.

coffee1.gif

OK, something new. BTW, where on TV did the members report this same thing? Thanks.

I'm relatively certain there was a thread in the visa sub-forum that talked about it. Not that recent but within the last couple of months, IIRC.

Went and did my 90 day reporting this morning. Got to immigration about 10.15. Was out by 11.05. I was one of the last. I think if I had gone at 1 pm, there would have been zero wait. Only a few people waiting for other extensions, but no long ques. Annual Retirement renewal she said they do only 20 a day, so for the annual renewal you need to get there very early, get an agent, or have an appointment.

Went and did my 90 day reporting this morning. Got to immigration about 10.15. Was out by 11.05. I was one of the last. I think if I had gone at 1 pm, there would have been zero wait. Only a few people waiting for other extensions, but no long ques. Annual Retirement renewal she said they do only 20 a day, so for the annual renewal you need to get there very early, get an agent, or have an appointment.

Way too many retirees for that to work!

Way too many retirees for that to work!

Exactly. It takes only 10 min to check the required paperwork.

I don't think immigration was given any warning of the influx of people doing the 90 day in person. Maybe when the people have seen the new office they will go back to mailing in reports.

I don't think immigration was given any warning of the influx of people doing the 90 day in person. Maybe when the people have seen the new office they will go back to mailing in reports.

Why would you think "immigration needed a warning of the influx of people doing the 90 day in person." This is what these people do for a living. Immigration officers are well aware of how many expats are residing in Chiang Mai. Immigration requires foreigners to show up at their office every 90 days, and once a year for the yearly visa, and they aren't prepared???

According to immigration officers that were present during their presentation at the CM Expat club, once they moved to their new location at Promenada, they would have addition staff to vastly improve their services.

When I showed up at the Promenada immigration office, I was really taken back at the staff shortage and how all foreigners are required to sit outside while immigration officers are sitting in an air-conditioned office, woefully unprepared to process the people they require to report to this office. You just can't make stuff like this up.

Why would you think "immigration needed a warning of the influx of people doing the 90 day in person." This is what these people do for a living. Immigration officers are well aware of how many expats are residing in Chiang Mai. Immigration requires foreigners to show up at their office every 90 days, and once a year for the yearly visa, and they aren't prepared???

According to immigration officers that were present during their presentation at the CM Expat club, once they moved to their new location at Promenada, they would have addition staff to vastly improve their services.

When I showed up at the Promenada immigration office, I was really taken back at the staff shortage and how all foreigners are required to sit outside while immigration officers are sitting in an air-conditioned office, woefully unprepared to process the people they require to report to this office. You just can't make stuff like this up.

Over promise and under deliver... Are we really surprised?

You would think that immigration offices would have an on-demand report generated from visa data that would indicate the volume of customers for a given location... You could also imagine that they could then gauge demand and staff offices accordingly... Having a bit of insight into the capability of Thai government IT staff and programmers, I seriously doubt this information is readily available to immigration offices... Just look at the way they handle IT issues... When the immigration office moved to Promenada, the online reservation system was shut down because it could not handle the new location... A simple software update would have corrected the issue, but no, they shut down the entire system... Go figure...

Archived