You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

The queue for immigration this morning.

DavidOxon

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if some of the jump is due to incomplete figures??? I'm basing my assumption on the 12 columns being one per month and if so the last quarter of 2554 is absent.

If that isn't the case, then there is an awfully big jump in people doing 90 day reports - (again I assume) most that do 90 day reports are retired and/or married. That would be an unrealistic increase in permanent residents or existing residents reporting rather than leaving the country (or of course a combination of the two).

I wonder if some of the jump is due to incomplete figures??? I'm basing my assumption on the 12 columns being one per month and if so the last quarter of 2554 is absent.

I didn't notice the last quarter was missing. 2553 does show a complete year at 38,175 90 day reports.

Actually this seems correct in practice in that these periods are pretty much in line with the waits/queue I've seen increasing over that time frame.

Why would you think "immigration needed a warning of the influx of people doing the 90 day in person." This is what these people do for a living. Immigration officers are well aware of how many expats are residing in Chiang Mai. Immigration requires foreigners to show up at their office every 90 days, and once a year for the yearly visa, and they aren't prepared???

Immigration does not require foreigners to show up at their office every 90 days. Who told you that? Only once a year for annual extension of visa. I have only showed up once a year for perhaps 5 years now. 90 day done by post.

Do those with online appointments get their stamped passports back the same day ? I think I read that the final signature person is not at Promenda.

Yes they do as immigration does not want the responsibility of holding them overnight.

That said, friends who had early afternoon appointments just last week, paperwork completed in 15 minutes for two people but had to wait until 5.50pm for the boss to sign off so they could get their passports!

Delegation simply does not work here.

Some immigration stats. 1st one from 2556, 2nd one from 2554. Very big jump in a couple of years. From 51,000 90 day reports in a year to 237,202 90 day reports in a year. Year 2553, 38,175 90 day reports. 2558? smile.png

Is it CM-Imm stats only?

I'm very surprised with the 2556 figures: some 20,000 90 day reports a month on average, or about 700 each day!

I've never thought it was so much...

It's about 87 applications in one work hour: about 1 every 40 seconds.

I know there are mail-ins, but...

Or am I wrong somewhere?

unsure.png

Some immigration stats. 1st one from 2556, 2nd one from 2554. Very big jump in a couple of years. From 51,000 90 day reports in a year to 237,202 90 day reports in a year. Year 2553, 38,175 90 day reports. 2558? smile.png

Is it CM-Imm stats only?

It's directly from the CM immigration site under statistics. For the entire year of 2556 there were 171 re-entry permits given and 604 visa conversions. So looks like it is Chiang Mai only with those low numbers. However, I'm not sure if it is Chiang Mai only or the entire Division 5 area. Though from Google maps doesn't appear to be very many other offices in district 5 that would add much to the stats. Immigration offices map

I just know in 2553 (the earliest stats shown), 5 years ago and before, I could walk into immigration anytime of the day and get in and out in 5-10 minutes max for my 90 days. Usually just walked up to the counter as there was no one in queue.

We have only been in CM for coming on 7 years but the growth rate of expats living here permanently has gone through the roof.

CM Immigration would have the figures and the lack of planning to cope with the influx is inexcusable.

Those 90 day reports include Burmese & other ASEAN labour?

Good question and could explain the numbers as they do 90 day reporting at the other building across from Promenada. Also, the time frame on the stats support that as it was only about 3-4 years ago when it really got crowded by laborers due to, I believe, a concerted effort to legalize them. They were first using the main office, remember all the MCs parked on the street, then over to the office next door then out to Promenada area.

I just know in 2553 (the earliest stats shown), 5 years ago and before, I could walk into immigration anytime of the day and get in and out in 5-10 minutes max for my 90 days. Usually just walked up to the counter as there was no one in queue.

I remember too...

After some time spent in BKK, I decided to retire in CNX in 2006. In this time all was done in a snap at CM-Imm office: very friendly, easy contacts and big smiles alltogether...

Those 90 day reports include Burmese & other ASEAN labour?

Maybe...

It would explain these high figures.

Here is one other option for 90 day reporting.

If you happen to be out of town, say Pattaya/Jomtien, anywhere with a more efficient system, you can do your 90 days at the local imm office using your hotel, guesthouse, whatever, as your address.

It worked for me. Amazingly quick and easy.

I repeat, it works. I have since done it at CM office.

Sound like it's time to book a trip to Pattaya.

Went and did my 90 day reporting this morning. Got to immigration about 10.15. Was out by 11.05. I was one of the last. I think if I had gone at 1 pm, there would have been zero wait. Only a few people waiting for other extensions, but no long ques. Annual Retirement renewal she said they do only 20 a day, so for the annual renewal you need to get there very early, get an agent, or have an appointment.

What appointment. No appointment system anymore. Figure out that stupidity here in the 15th year of the 21st century.

Not everyone has been mailing in as the old office could process a 90 day report any time you showed up almost with a turnaround of 1-2 hours. For some people who live close to the old office this was acceptable. Only since the move to Promenada has it become an all day job. I expect everyone will be mailing from now on. I have had no personal mail delivered for one and half years, only bills arrive. I may post and have to visit in person when nothing is posted back? A few other posters have problems with the post. This is why visiting the old office was no problem for some people. Most people have been caught out by believing the move to Prom was going to improve CM Immigration performance. No warnings were issued that the new office would struggle to handle 90 day reports.

I don't think immigration was given any warning of the influx of people doing the 90 day in person. Maybe when the people have seen the new office they will go back to mailing in reports.

Why would you think "immigration needed a warning of the influx of people doing the 90 day in person." This is what these people do for a living. Immigration officers are well aware of how many expats are residing in Chiang Mai. Immigration requires foreigners to show up at their office every 90 days, and once a year for the yearly visa, and they aren't prepared???

According to immigration officers that were present during their presentation at the CM Expat club, once they moved to their new location at Promenada, they would have addition staff to vastly improve their services.

When I showed up at the Promenada immigration office, I was really taken back at the staff shortage and how all foreigners are required to sit outside while immigration officers are sitting in an air-conditioned office, woefully unprepared to process the people they require to report to this office. You just can't make stuff like this up.

According to immigration officers that were present during their presentation at the CM Expat club, once they moved to their new location at Promenada, they would have addition staff to vastly improve their services.

Believe that and I have a bridge that crosses the Ping River that I can sell you cheap. They've been saying their getting additional staff for so long, it's like the boy who cried, "Wolf". I believe nothing, I generally doubt things are going to work out well, and I'm virtually never disappointed.

attachicon.gifStats 2556.JPG

attachicon.gifStats 2554.JPG

Source, CM immigration statistics

Google Translate verions

Which means that they know they have a problem, they see it coming, and they are doing next to nothing to fix it other than promises. What a freakn' mess.

Do those with online appointments get their stamped passports back the same day ? I think I read that the final signature person is not at Promenda.

Yes they do as immigration does not want the responsibility of holding them overnight.

That said, friends who had early afternoon appointments just last week, paperwork completed in 15 minutes for two people but had to wait until 5.50pm for the boss to sign off so they could get their passports!

Delegation simply does not work here.

Customer Service de jure.

Is it CM-Imm stats only?

It's directly from the CM immigration site under statistics. For the entire year of 2556 there were 171 re-entry permits given and 604 visa conversions. So looks like it is Chiang Mai only with those low numbers. However, I'm not sure if it is Chiang Mai only or the entire Division 5 area. Though from Google maps doesn't appear to be very many other offices in district 5 that would add much to the stats. Immigration offices map

Does anyone know if the Lampang Office is still used for 90 reports, or have they closed it. Last post I saw was 2013. It's closer to my home than Chiang mai, if for some reason my 90 day gets lost in the mail (EMS or not) and I have to actually show up in person.

Not everyone has been mailing in as the old office could process a 90 day report any time you showed up almost with a turnaround of 1-2 hours. For some people who live close to the old office this was acceptable. Only since the move to Promenada has it become an all day job. I expect everyone will be mailing from now on. I have had no personal mail delivered for one and half years, only bills arrive. I may post and have to visit in person when nothing is posted back? A few other posters have problems with the post. This is why visiting the old office was no problem for some people. Most people have been caught out by believing the move to Prom was going to improve CM Immigration performance. No warnings were issued that the new office would struggle to handle 90 day reports.

I don't think immigration was given any warning of the influx of people doing the 90 day in person. Maybe when the people have seen the new office they will go back to mailing in reports.

When I showed up at the Promenada immigration office, I was really taken back at the staff shortage and how all foreigners are required to sit outside while immigration officers are sitting in an air-conditioned office, woefully unprepared to process the people they require to report to this office. You just can't make stuff like this up.

Believe that and I have a bridge that crosses the Ping River that I can sell you cheap. They've been saying their getting additional staff for so long, it's like the boy who cried, "Wolf". I believe nothing, I generally doubt things are going to work out well, and I'm virtually never disappointed.

It was surprising, CM Immigration would put on such a large dog and pony show in front of the expat club about improving their services, and then in reality make a bad situation even worst. What on earth were they thinking, lol.

Immigration does not require foreigners to show up at their office every 90 days. Who told you that? Only once a year for annual extension of visa. I have only showed up once a year for perhaps 5 years now. 90 day done by post.

I have always visited the immigration office for the nonsensical 90 day required reporting because I never fully trusted the Thai mail. It seems being able to do the 90 day via computer would be more efficient for immigration, and would certainly be more efficient for retirees living here.

I think its time for CM Immigration to shape up and professionalise their services. There is no reason for the negative environment immigration has created for foreigners because of their unwillingness or inability to efficiently process their requirements for foreigners who visit or have retired to Thailand.

It was surprising, CM Immigration would put on such a large dog and pony show in front of the expat club about improving their services, and then in reality make a bad situation even worst. What on earth were they thinking, lol.

You've taken the words right out of my month. Good PR based con-job, 'eh? Say how everything will be smooth as silk, run like Swiss clockwork, and then apply the exact opposite. Utter incompetence in my humble opinion. And then force older, retired people to sit in the tropic sun. At my local government hospital, if your 70 or older, you're treated specially, with respect, with dignity. At the local immigration, an 70+ year old customer is just another foreign meat-bag.

Just a question, but name how many other places that provide government based customer service for Thais are run under the same conditions. I go to the government hospital in Lamphun and Chiang Mai: they're not run like that. I go the CM and Lamphun Provincial offices: they're not run like that; I go to the work permit offices: it's not run like that. I go to vehicle licensing: it's not run like that. If I go to my Amphur and local Tessabaan offices; it's not run like that.

People sit inside with working queue systems. Sure, at Maharaj, you may have to show up by 8 (not 6am) to get an appointment, for example they have a 100 person limit per day at the eye clinic, but I've never been turned away, and you're under cover, out of the elements, and have access to chairs and working, functional electric fans, and in some place a/c.

So go for it; Name some places with worse facilities and service for Thai customers as compared to those provided by Thai Immigration for foreigners?

You've taken the words right out of my month. Good PR based con-job, 'eh? Say how everything will be smooth as silk, run like Swiss clockwork, and then apply the exact opposite. Utter incompetence in my humble opinion. And then force older, retired people to sit in the tropic sun. At my local government hospital, if your 70 or older, you're treated specially. At the local immigration, an 70+ year old customer is just another foreign meat-bag.

Just a question, but name how many other places that provide government based customer service for Thais are run under the same conditions. I go to the government hospital: it's not run like that. I go the CM and Lamphun Provincial offices: they're not run like that; I go to the work permit offices: it's not run like that. I go to vehicle licensing: it's not run like that. If I go to my Amphur and local Tessabaan offices; it's not run like that.

People sit inside with working queue systems. Sure, at Maharaj, you may have to show up by 8 (not 6am) to get an appointment, for example they have a 100 person limit per day at the eye clinic, but I've never been turned away, and you're under cover, out of the elements, and have access to chairs and working, functional electric fans, and in some place a/c.

So go for it; Name some places with worse facilities and service for Thai customers as compared to those provided by Thai Immigration for foreigners?

I fully agree with your observations of other Thai government services compared to CM Immigration. It's mind boggling to visit immigration, and actually see with your own eyes how woefully unprepared they are for foreigners that are required to visit their office, and to see how they treat elderly foreigners. If I didn't know better, I would think immigration staff are actually trying to discourage foreigners from living in Thailand.

"Speaking at the Expat's Club?"

Be sure to give them some good, positive spin about Immig.

Right, will do. I will really get some fine 'face' today.

Personally, I applaud CM Expat Club for inviting CM Immigration to speak in front of their members. Nancy, the expat club leader has done an incredible job running this organization. Nancy should receive more recognition for this and all of her volunteer work in the Chiang Mai community.

This was a great opportunity for CM Immigration to address a large segment of the expat community in CM, explaining their future goals. I thought their presentation was both interesting and informative. However, something went terribly wrong by the time their presentation ended, and the grand opening of their new office at Promenada.

Maybe CM Immigration should consider immediately getting their online queue for yearly appointments functional again, and make serious improvements to stream line their services. Another area of concern, is their apparent lack of compassion for elderly expats that have to spend the day sitting outside the immigration air-conditioned office while waiting to have their papers processed. OMG, what are these people thinking.

Personally, I applaud CM Expat Club for inviting CM Immigration to speak in front of their members. Nancy, the expat club leader has done an incredible job running this organization. Nancy should receive more recognition for this and all of her volunteer work in the Chiang Mai community.

This was a great opportunity for CM Immigration to address a large segment of the expat community in CM, explaining their future goals. I thought their presentation was both interesting and informative. However, something went terribly wrong by the time their presentation ended, and the grand opening of their new office at Promenada.

Maybe CM Immigration should consider immediately getting their online queue for yearly appointments functional again, and make serious improvements to stream line their services. Another area of concern, is their apparent lack of compassion for elderly expats that have to spend the day sitting outside the immigration air-conditioned office while waiting to have their papers processed. OMG, what are these people thinking.

This thread shows some concern for the elderly. Not to be harsh but if they can't comply with whats needed to stay in Thailand there is an option to return to home country.

Unless one has foolishly burned all bridges back.

This thread shows some concern for the elderly. Not to be harsh but if they can't comply with whats needed to stay in Thailand there is an option to return to home country.

Unless one has foolishly burned all bridges back.

Wow, thanks for sharing your compassion for elderly foreigners living in CM. I'm sure most have never considered returning to their home country or another foreign location. Do you have any ideas that would help immigration?

I have always visited the immigration office for the nonsensical 90 day required reporting because I never fully trusted the Thai mail. It seems being able to do the 90 day via computer would be more efficient for immigration, and would certainly be more efficient for retirees living here.

I think its time for CM Immigration to shape up and professionalise their services. There is no reason for the negative environment immigration has created for foreigners because of their unwillingness or inability to efficiently process their requirements for foreigners who visit or have retired to Thailand.

Thai Post is extremely reliable ; particularly the "rong tabien" service they offer. We have a very high volume of post that we put through the system and seldom ever have a problem. Even then, it is rectified immediately. Can't say the same for the post in several European countries (even Deutsche Post), as well as the American Post.

To be worried about sending a 90-day in the post is ridiculous.

Thai Post is extremely reliable ; particularly the "rong tabien" service they offer. We have a very high volume of post that we put through the system and seldom ever have a problem. Even then, it is rectified immediately. Can't say the same for the post in several European countries (even Deutsche Post), as well as the American Post.

The 90 day requirement is ridiculous, not expressing concerns regarding Thai mail delivery. Are you a Thai mailman?

To fault the United States Post Office means you know nothing about it. Probably the best in the World sir.

Archived