natural honey?

Maramook

Royal Project (Doi Kham) Store as mentioned or Airport Plaza downstairs next to the Lanna food court (Basement level). There are about 4 different brands and all are 100% natural honey. I've been buying Ambrosia and and another brand (whose name I can't read) Wild Flower honey. All are OTOP, certified by the government, etc.

Never buy 'honey' from market vendors on the street. It's not real honey - maybe 25%.

The Royal Project Store on Huay Kaew across from the entrance to the zoo.

there's no such a place across from the entrance to the zoo

I couldn't find it today, asked a few people.

Edited by Maramook

The Royal Project Store on Huay Kaew across from the entrance to the zoo.\

There is such a place but the directions you were given were wrong. It's actually located just west of the northwest corner of doi suthep road and the canal road. If you were heading west from the moat on Suthep Road you would cross over the canal rd (rte 121) and make your first right. It's about 50 meters west of the intersection

Here are the GPS coordinates: 18.791627, 98.960292

Chiang Mai University also has an outlet there which, I believe also offers honey.

They also have several branches which are smaller but do carry the honey. I know there one in the Lotus on the Hangdong road south of the airport and another in the Nong Hoi Plaza 89.

The Royal Project Store on Huay Kaew across from the entrance to the zoo.

if you didn't ask for "Doi Kham" Thais would have no idea where you are talking about.

there is another shop by CMU at Canal and Suthep.

Really good honey here:

Supha Bee Farm Co.,Ltd.

https://plus.google.com/106327038026303436991/about

near Four Seasons.

if that is the company (which i think it is) that also has a location on the way to Lamphun, they charge 500 Bath/bottle for honey.

The one on the way to Lamphun is not the same company, its called Fora Bee. And if you read their Thai numbers on the price you will see that there is a significant reduction, at least 50%. The staff readily offer you this price, explaining that the other price is for Chinese tour groups, or, I guess, anyone who is stupid enough to fail to sense a scam.

Really good honey here:

Supha Bee Farm Co.,Ltd.

near Four Seasons.

if that is the company (which i think it is) that also has a location on the way to Lamphun, they charge 500 Bath/bottle for honey.

The one on the way to Lamphun is not the same company, its called Fora Bee. And if you read their Thai numbers on the price you will see that there is a significant reduction, at least 50%. The staff readily offer you this price, explaining that the other price is for Chinese tour groups, or, I guess, anyone who is stupid enough to fail to sense a scam.

yes you are right; Flora Bee. i can read Thai just fine but didn't even get as far as picking up a bottle and looking at it. i only asked and then proceeded to walk out the door after hearing the price.

honey only shop on Chang Klan Rd sort of across from Pink Pussy Outlet, I believe. I've never been in it.

I've bought honey there for several years. Very good and several varieties...Forest Flower and I can't remember some of the others. (053) 276 488. It says PURE HONEY! Talk to the gentleman there.....always very pleasant.

'Fora Bee', not 'Flora Bee', and both companies supply beekeeping equipment, to the local honey-farmers and enthusiasts ! smile.png

Correct and their honey is real honey..Outlet also in Chiang Mai Land..1kg bulk pack Wild Flower Honey 125 baht.

Check their story out..

http://www.forabee.com/en/aboust-us.php

Edited by andreandre

honey only shop on Chang Klan Rd sort of across from Pink Pussy Outlet, I believe. I've never been in it.

I've bought honey there for several years. Very good and several varieties...Forest Flower and I can't remember some of the others. (053) 276 488. It says PURE HONEY! Talk to the gentleman there.....always very pleasant.

Yes I was going to mention them. Not a big honey user being a diabetic but I have purchased some there for the wife. They seem to be the only ones mentioned that have several different kinds of honey. I believe there is over 1,000 different kinds depending where the bees get the honey from. There is a honey from New Zealand said to be the best.

Of course these are not all at that shop. But if you know what kind you want they may be able to get it for you.

On Chang Klan Road (Chiang mai) about where Loi Kroh road crosses is a small shop that only sells honey. (Probably the same mentioned earlier).

The woman who owns it is the President of the Thai Beekeeper's Association. She's very neat and the real thing. (I was once a successful beekeeper, so much so in fact, that eventually I sold all my hives because it became too much work)(This was back in the 70's before the various bee problems that is affecting the US today).

She had many types which is sometimes fairly easy to do. For instance I had blueberry honey (very white, very mild) and Goldenrod honey (dark and intense flavor, but a bit funky, in my opinion). Some beekeepers will put up hives with drawn comb knowing when a particular flower will bloom and then harvest the honey when the season is over, usually in a few to several weeks.

Last time I was there was back in 2011 so she may not be there anymore, but if she is--she's the real thing.

Edited by jsflynn603

On Chang Klan Road (Chiang mai) about where Loi Kroh road crosses is a small shop that only sells honey. (Probably the same mentioned earlier).

The woman who owns it is the President of the Thai Beekeeper's Association. She's very neat and the real thing. (I was once a successful beekeeper, so much so in fact, that eventually I sold all my hives because it became too much work)(This was back in the 70's before the various bee problems that is affecting the US today).

She had many types which is sometimes fairly easy to do. For instance I had blueberry honey (very white, very mild) and Goldenrod honey (dark and intense flavor, but a bit funky, in my opinion). Some beekeepers will put up hives with drawn comb knowing when a particular flower will bloom and then harvest the honey when the season is over, usually in a few to several weeks.

Last time I was there was back in 2011 so she may not be there anymore, but if she is--she's the real thing.

The one I was referring to was close to Thai Pae road. In between it and the first Soi to the left. The one with the Mosque on it. On the East side of the road.

Good luck in your search.

• 7 months later...

I see that Fora Bee is mentioned in a few papers today after getting a mention in Twitter and facebook over last few days. Good to see it was just a misunderstanding after all.......

Seems some customers on their facebook page are still misunderstanding:

"Well, when I went into one of your shops alone, I was offered a discount of about one third. Therefore I was charged double the price, instead of triple.

So, when are you going to refund the rest of what I was overcharged?"

A minor correction: bees make honey. They do NOT get it from flower nectar. Flower nectar is mostly sugar water but once taken in by the bee is then transformed (digested) into a more stable food for the baby bees, and for the adults when the going gets rough, like during the winter.

Unfortunately, honey is easily adulterated by sugary solutions. This faking is very difficult to detect. So, bee careful.

Really good honey here:

Supha Bee Farm Co.,Ltd.

near Four Seasons.

+1 on this…I have been there…it was tricky for me to find, as I wasn't from those parts…. nice store in small village-like surroundings …basic shop layout, but many varieties of honey….mostly all organic and untreated by heat.

I see that Fora Bee is mentioned in a few papers today after getting a mention in Twitter and facebook over last few days. Good to see it was just a misunderstanding after all.......

Very clear what Fora Bee tries to do here, tricky tricky.

I almost think somebody willing to spend that much on 500 grammes of honey deserves to be fleeced but It would be better if they were just honest and say "We know in your own country you might pay $USD12-13 for 22 oz (700 grammes) of the most delicious natural wild honey from multiple types of Maui wildflowers so whilst you're here would you mind paying triple price?"

Edited by arunsakda