What kind of insurance should I get if I live in Thailand all the time

parafareno

what about this scenario, when you paid insurance your weight was lets say 90 kilos, but then you lost a limb and you now weigh 75 kilos, will they pay you more, because you weight less? these leeches are making me sick

Who will pay you more?

Being overweight or gaining extra weight is not only about the weight. over weight causes a number of health issues such as cholesterol, heart problems, kidney problems and more. This is why you may find when you apply for insurance and state your weight, if insurer considers it being overweight, they often request full blood works and some may add exclusions or loadings.

So when you lodge a claim and happen to be different weight to your original application, lots of extra weight, there is no way for insurance to know if you lied on your initial application of have gained weight in the process, which gives them good enough reason to deny claim, unless you can prove otherwise, which may not be very easy

If they are going to be picky over details like gained weight etc they should make you do a physical before selling you the policy

I assumed they would do this anyway, I also think in insurance is overpriced since my most dangerous daily activities like motorbikes etc are not even covered in a lot of policy's

If it cost $500+ A month for good insurance I'll just save that much and pay if/when shit happens...

Health policies in general cover motorbike riding.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what about this scenario, when you paid insurance your weight was lets say 90 kilos, but then you lost a limb and you now weigh 75 kilos, will they pay you more, because you weight less? these leeches are making me sick

Who will pay you more?

Being overweight or gaining extra weight is not only about the weight. over weight causes a number of health issues such as cholesterol, heart problems, kidney problems and more. This is why you may find when you apply for insurance and state your weight, if insurer considers it being overweight, they often request full blood works and some may add exclusions or loadings.

So when you lodge a claim and happen to be different weight to your original application, lots of extra weight, there is no way for insurance to know if you lied on your initial application of have gained weight in the process, which gives them good enough reason to deny claim, unless you can prove otherwise, which may not be very easy

If they are going to be picky over details like gained weight etc they should make you do a physical before selling you the policy

I assumed they would do this anyway, I also think in insurance is overpriced since my most dangerous daily activities like motorbikes etc are not even covered in a lot of policy's

If it cost $500+ A month for good insurance I'll just save that much and pay if/when shit happens...

Motorcycling in thailand was one of the prohibited activities on the travel insurance I had before but that's several years ago and I haven't checked a policy in a long time.... I try to keep a few million in the bank for such occurrences, Sometimes I win in a year where I have for example zero medical expenses , sometimes I lose (like last year where I paid 140,000thb for inpatient surgery which would have been covered I think )

I'm still ahead though compared to if I'd been paying monthly payments for a policy in the years which I didn't claim anything...

Who will pay you more?

Motorcycling in thailand was one of the prohibited activities on the travel insurance I had before but that's several years ago and I haven't checked a policy in a long time.... I try to keep a few million in the bank for such occurrences, Sometimes I win in a year where I have for example zero medical expenses , sometimes I lose (like last year where I paid 140,000thb for inpatient surgery which would have been covered I think )

I'm still ahead though compared to if I'd been paying monthly payments for a policy in the years which I didn't claim anything...

You're commenting on health insurance (motorbike riding not covered), and are answering with information about travel insurance. These are completely different policies.

One can not compare travel and accident insurance with health insurance.

You need at least one thing while living here, Good! health insurance, some might say the government hospitals are ok But I strongly disagree, I have had to many friends etc over the last 10 years here bear undue circumstance including death due to the poor quality of Physician in the government hospitals. Simple things like diagnosing Blood poisoning (which lead to death), infection from a cut toe ( which led to amputation), A simple routine apendectomy ( which they twisted the bowel and the almost patient almost died, on top of that they would not let him transfer to another hospital until a attorney got involved). These did not occur at just one hospital but several government hospitals.

Good ! health Insurance is a must unless you just don't care. I did my research and have used Bupa for 3 years now and they have been brilliant. As for the cost well we each have different ways to think about that , so just go to there website and you can provide your info and immediately gat an online quote.

good luck

• 2 weeks later...

To the OP: You could marry a Thai citizen who works for the government. A government worker is allowed to add to add one family member to her health scheme. She could add you and you will have the same health insurance. Mind you, it is a public hospital health scheme. However, you can register yourself at any number of public hospitals of choice. University hospitals are best if you need a prolonged stay. They will often upgrade you to a good individual suite for a minimal additional cost per day (200 Baht for my last stay).

Many Thai have health insurance that pays them a fixed price per day when they are in hospital. My sister-in-law has several policies and will often stay in hospital for 3 or 4 days if she a cold or bout of food poisoning. She presents the invoices to the various companies, which are accepted without question, and makes a good profit.

Have you noticed how Thai expect to be hospitalised for minor ailments that a westerner would never dream of going anywhere near a hospital for (because it would be unaffordable)? Thai hospitals will also let family members sleep overnight in private rooms and hang around 24 hours per day to look after the sick person. My wife says she wants me to go to a Thai hospital if I am sick (rather than my home country) so she can look after me 24 hours a day.

I also have private insurance coming up for renewal in the next few months. My wife organised it, but I want to look at it myself this time. I started researching on TV, but am more confused then ever. Maybe I'll let her do it again (but maybe not).

• 1 month later...

Archived