What kind of insurance should I get if I live in Thailand all the time

parafareno

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Medical Insurance as we all know is the most difficult as there are literally millions of different permutations - we all have different needs, budgets, age and so on.

The only way is to ask a Broker (note not Agent) for a list of companies/plans most suitable for your circumstances. Examples of questions raised in these post are low budgets, policies for "the worst case" and so on.

AA Insurance Brokers has the highest level of Government License for your protection and can offer insurances for all the Thai and major international companies.

Should you need help, advice or a quote please go HERE

Only way? There are a finite number of companies who issue coverage for here in Thailand that are based in Thailand. A little computer leg work can get you to most of them who have invested substantially in their direct to customer services.

One of the reasons you stop paying taxes "back home" is that it saves you money. When doing that cost-benefit analysis, your health costs need to be compared to your tax costs. If you can't afford health insurance, you can't afford to stop paying your taxes!

One in three people will suffer from one of the big three illnesses by 65: Cancer, Stroke, Heart Condition. Simpler terms: 1 in 3 suffer 1 of 3... (edit: this is post #34 - that means 10-12 people that replied here will have a critical illness by the age of 65. Think about that!)

Critical illness insurance is not something that should be overlooked when thinking about your future. Sure you can pay up to 2000 USD for a claim, but can you also absorb the lost wages from not being able to work at the same time? The earlier you get locked into a plan, age-wise, the better.

I was just interested :)

My plan actually was not having insurance at all - that would be freedom compared to my home country where health insurance is compulsory.

If insurance is more than 200 USD per person per month, it's just not worth it and I rather save the money.

you don't have to keep your residence in your home country and you don't have to take a residence in Thailand neither. you can stay as a tourist for the rest of your life. you become a permanent traveler. a PT.

man, you have just discovered freedom....,

be careful, people will get very jealous of you , they will ask you where you live and where you pay your tax. just lie... tell them that you pay tax where you live. be careful of people who will count your days in and out of the country.

http://nomadcapitalist.com/flag-theory/

you are apparently a digital nomad, again be careful, here people on thai visa want hang you High and short.

keep a low profile....

If you stay in Thailand for 183 days in a year on a tourist visa you are tax resident.

you don't have to keep your residence in your home country and you don't have to take a residence in Thailand neither. you can stay as a tourist for the rest of your life. you become a permanent traveler. a PT.

be careful, people will get very jealous of you , they will ask you where you live and where you pay your tax. just lie... tell them that you pay tax where you live. be careful of people who will count your days in and out of the country.

you are apparently a digital nomad, again be careful, here people on thai visa want hang you High and short.

keep a low profile....

I have been internet nomad for last 10 years, travelled the world, only with my laptop....and clothes.....

The only problem I see now is insurance, everything else is figured out, In Ecuador you pay only 70 usd per monthto get full insurance here, 200 usd? Or even more

I have been in hospital only as a kid, but never as adult so I wonder if I even need it

I already posted regarding very decent basic outpatient cover covering SEA (Thailand included) for 66 USD a month earlier on in the thread.

keep a low profile....

I have been internet nomad for last 10 years, travelled the world, only with my laptop....and clothes.....

The only problem I see now is insurance, everything else is figured out, In Ecuador you pay only 70 usd per monthto get full insurance here, 200 usd? Or even more

I have been in hospital only as a kid, but never as adult so I wonder if I even need it

I already posted regarding very decent basic outpatient cover covering SEA (Thailand included) for 66 USD a month earlier on in the thread.

With one major exception (cancer) outpatient cover will leave you covered only for the minor stuff. Most of the really expensive stuff require inpatient cover, an accidental head injury or a stroke putting you in ICU for a few weeks can cost you millions (even at a government hospital). So if you really need to save money you should be looking at inpatient cover only - not outpatient cover only.

Sophon

keep a low profile....

With one major exception (cancer) outpatient cover will leave you covered only for the minor stuff. Most of the really expensive stuff require inpatient cover, an accidental head injury or a stroke putting you in ICU for a few weeks can cost you millions (even at a government hospital). So if you really need to save money you should be looking at inpatient cover only - not outpatient cover only.

Sophon

I'm being dumb, and was tired - it is of course very decent basic INPATIENT cover that I have, not outpatient.

Covers SEA, and also emergencies worldwide (excluding US)

@parafareno by decent I mean 500k US a year cover, no excess, no exclusions, 100% expenses, 250USD a day private room and guaranteed renewal until 75.

800 USD a year via aainsure. It's with ACS and underwritten by Allianz.

AIA has some deals for around that price.

Yearly limits are NOT very high, nor are the pay outs per treatment.

Another option is cheaper policy but excess per claim

Prices vary on age, weight, smoking and drinking habits.

I'm being dumb, and was tired - it is of course very decent basic INPATIENT cover that I have, not outpatient.

Covers SEA, and also emergencies worldwide (excluding US)

@parafareno by decent I mean 500k US a year cover, no excess, no exclusions, 100% expenses, 250USD a day private room and guaranteed renewal until 75.

800 USD a year via aainsure. It's with ACS and underwritten by Allianz.

RW have you ever had a claim? i was offered this policy few years ago, from memory $760 but was told by another broker claims with this policy are very problematic.

Which does make sense when the policy is half the going price in comparison to other insurance companies with the same benefits

@konying not yet, no - I am aware that I'll most likely have to pay and reclaim, but I think I can do that. I have heard stories of them being strict with exceptions and that emergency cover within Thailand is not included unless it requires admittance under doctor instruction, but that's fair enough by me. It's the stuff that would require me to be hospitalised that bothers me, not emergency treatment that does not require a stay.

Haven't heard any stories about them not covering people, nor any reference on scam sites at all. I would certainly be highly vocal if I encountered this, so take it as a positive sign.

@parafareno you can get information and buy via aainsure, they have posted in this thread and are sponsors of the insurance section. There are no restrictions on hospital and it does cover 250 USD private room cost. Whether that covers Bumrungrad would depend if their private rooms cost less than 250 US a day, they might cost more and you'd only be covered for the 250.

@konying not yet, no - I am aware that I'll most likely have to pay and reclaim, but I think I can do that. I have heard stories of them being strict with exceptions and that emergency cover within Thailand is not included unless it requires admittance under doctor instruction, but that's fair enough by me. It's the stuff that would require me to be hospitalised that bothers me, not emergency treatment that does not require a stay.

Haven't heard any stories about them not covering people, nor any reference on scam sites at all. I would certainly be highly vocal if I encountered this, so take it as a positive sign.

@parafareno you can get information and buy via aainsure, they have posted in this thread and are sponsors of the insurance section. There are no restrictions on hospital and it does cover 250 USD private room cost. Whether that covers Bumrungrad would depend if their private rooms cost less than 250 US a day, they might cost more and you'd only be covered for the 250.

I did not mean a scam, Its a big company to have scams, Its just when you lodge claims they look for ways to deny it.

Example being, say when you were accepted you put down your weight at 70kg, but upon admittance, say 2 years later, you weigh 76kg

They would deny the claim, stating that you lied about your weight.

This is what i was told/explained by the broker.

Other more expansive policies do not do that and allow "grace" changes without denying the claim.

Do not know true or false as i have not come across any comments from people who have lodged claims under ACS policy.

As you say , most comments praise the policy(understandably being cheap) but none have had any claims yet

I did not mean a scam, Its a big company to have scams, Its just when you lodge claims they look for ways to deny it.

Example being, say when you were accepted you put down your weight at 70kg, but upon admittance, say 2 years later, you weigh 76kg

Other more expansive policies do not do that and allow "grace" changes without denying the claim.

Do not know true or false as i have not come across any comments from people who have lodged claims under ACS policy.

As you say , most comments praise the policy(understandably being cheap) but none have had any claims yet

False. No company gets away with things like that.

Was that a real broker or one of those overseas financial advisors?

What do you define as real? Like one with office in Thailand? company? and all the registration numbers? If yes, then yeah it was a real broker.

As for your assumption that its false, quick search of even Thai Visa would give you an idea of what insurance companies get away with, and much worse than this.

What do you define as real? Like one with office in Thailand? company? and all the registration numbers? If yes, then yeah it was a real broker.

As for your assumption that its false, quick search of even Thai Visa would give you an idea of what insurance companies get away with, and much worse than this.

Big difference between an occasional complaint and systematic denial, looking for reasons not to pay. Those reasons will always be there, and companies don't get away acting that way anymore.

Time and time again you're showing ignorance on the subject of insurance.

Big difference between an occasional complaint and systematic denial, looking for reasons not to pay. Those reasons will always be there, and companies don't get away acting that way anymore.

Well since you are the expert as you claim to be, care to back up any of your assertions with something little more than your words of wisdom?whistling.gif

Well since you are the expert as you claim to be, care to back up any of your assertions with something little more than your words of wisdom?whistling.gif
Looking forward to you substantiating the company is trying not to psy legit claims, aside from your broker trying to sell you something else.

Looking forward to you substantiating the company is trying not to psy legit claims, aside from your broker trying to sell you something else.

So in other words with all that self proclaimed knowledge you do not have a clue?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=5fba01eac0a6851e855ca15b29c0301a&app=googlecse#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=insurance problems

And now back over to you, self proclaimed insurance expertrolleyes.gif

So in other words with all that self proclaimed knowledge you do not have a clue?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=googlecse#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=insurance problems

And now back over to you, self proclaimed insurance expertrolleyes.gif

Link not working.

I have gained knowledge by working in the industry for 10+ years, how about you?

BUPA < is the only way to go with international coverage , great rtes that fit your needs and a good website.

I have several ammeters from the UK who have it and have used it and love the coverage.

Everything else is second rate or hard to get them to make payments to the hospitals.

I have gained knowledge by working in the industry for 10+ years, how about you?

I did not know Rayong industrial estate was part of insurance industrygiggle.gif

So still waiting for some evidence from self proclaimed expert

PS. link works just fine for mewhistling.gif

I did not know Rayong industrial estate was part of insurance industrygiggle.gif

Post makes no sense.

Ah, so you want others to do the work for you and find the ACS claim denials for you.

Which pretty much confirms that insurance companies can and do look for any excuse NOT to pay.

Weight difference may well be used as a point of denial and this was the point broker told me. I am assuming his information comes from having experience and past dealing with the company handling claims for customers, but again company in question ACS, there seems to be no reports at all from people making claims, plenty of people confirming to have the policy though.

Possibly because ACS ONLY accepts super healthy people and hence the cheap premiums.

Post makes no sense.

Ah, so you want others to do the work for you and find the ACS claim denials for you.

What makes no sense?

Earlier you claimed to work in Rayong in Industrial Estate,so your 10 years experience must be a figment of your imagination or its what you worked back in your home country?

You stated that insurance companies do not get away with denying claims because of information provided at the time of acceptance is not accurate.

I asked you now at least 5 times to back up your claim and still waiting for some evidence.

I have provided you with a link to pages worth of complains on TV alone from people having claims denied for varies reasons.

So the only thing i want from an expert like you,is to back your assertions with little more than "i said so"

Post makes no sense.

What makes no sense?

Earlier you claimed to work in Rayong in Industrial Estate,so your 10 years experience must be a figment of your imagination or its what you worked back in your home country?

You stated that insurance companies do not get away with denying claims because of information provided at the time of acceptance is not accurate.

I asked you now at least 5 times to back up your claim and still waiting for some evidence.

I have provided you with a link to pages worth of complains on TV alone from people having claims denied for varies reasons.

So the only thing i want from an expert like you,is to back your assertions with little more than "i said so"

I never worked or claimed to work in rayong.

Please show me otherwise or stop with these nonsense posts

Archived