Thanasak: Nothing to explain about stripping Thaksin's rank to foreign governments

webfact

Thanasak: Nothing to Explain About Stripping Thaksin’s Rank to Foreign Governments
By Khaosod English

14394658371439465970l.jpg
Former PM Thaksin Shinawatra speaks at the 2013 Asian Business Leadership Forum Awards in the United Arab Emirates in this photo posted to his Instagram.

BANGKOK — Thailand’s top diplomat said there is no need to explain a campaign to strip former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra of his police rank to foreign governments.

Arguing the bid to deprive Thaksin, the de facto opposition leader, of his rank has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with the law, Foreign Minister Gen. Thanasak Patimapakorn told reporters yesterday when asked if foreign governments might see it as politically driven.

“We won’t have to explain anything to them, because it is being done in accordance with [normal] procedures,” Thanasak said.

Thaksin served in the police force from 1973 to 1987, rising to the rank of Police Lieutenant-Colonel, which he has retained since resigning from the force.

But the military government announced Tuesday it would take up the bid to remove that rank, citing police regulations stipulating they are forfeit to officers convicted and sentenced to jail by a court in serious criminal cases.

Junta deputy chairman Gen. Prawit Wongsuwan repeated yesterday that it was a procedural matter.

“This is not arbitrary. It’s all about the laws,” Prawit said. “The people who support Police Lt. Col. Thaksin have to understand that everything is being done under the law. We are not bullying anyone. This government doesn’t want to create any conflict.”

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1439465837&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-08-14

I very much doubt that any foreign government cares about these antics. They have I am sure formed their opinions of the current regime from their knowledge of rather more important aspects of its governance.

Of course the move is politically driven.Even those involved in the process wouldn't deny that.It isn't credible that an administration which seized power illegally and tore up the constitution should deliver lectures on the law's sanctity.

As to the stripping of rank I don't think anyone is much concerned including Thaksin.I can't imagine that foreign governments have the slightest interest in the matter.

The mild nervousness one detects in some of the government statements probably reflects an uneasy feeling that the current delightful state of affairs may sadly not be permanent, and that perhaps ....just perhaps the prospect of retribution may one day arise.Fortunately we know that Dr Thaksin is an easy going kind of guy and the possibility of exacting revenge for past slights wouldn't even cross his mind.

How does a convicted felon keep a title as Police Captain for even one day after being convicted?

The fact that it took Thailand all these years to strip his title speaks volumes for the way things work here.

Political motivation aside, this is just another head-scratcher for Westerners trying to figure out this nutty place.

why is this such a big deal ? a convicted criminal is stripped from his police title ?

a princess was stripped from her title with no second toughts

A big deal when considering PAD & PDRC activist Maj Gen Chamlong Srimuang charged and convicted for the airport seizure still has his rank and no account of any attempt or process to strip him. Double standard??

Yes there is a double standard. But, geez...<deleted>, just get on with it and forget about this trivia and lottery tickets and wake up to the fact that Thailand's economy and reputation are in tatters for other reasons. Rome burns and Prayut worries endlessly about lotteries and a few student demonstartors. It has the comical aspects of juntas in Greece and Argentina of decades past.

Yes there is a double standard. But, geez...<deleted>, just get on with it and forget about this trivia and lottery tickets and wake up to the fact that Thailand's economy and reputation are in tatters for other reasons. Rome burns and Prayut worries endlessly about lotteries and a few student demonstartors. It has the comical aspects of juntas in Greece and Argentina of decades past.

Cue Music - " Don't cry for me Gen. Prayuth the truth is .... actually banned under Art 44. "

One suspects foreign goverments dont give a shit as they have enough problems of their own to be worried about a few 2 year olds fighting in the sand pit

It's odd - They don't care what we think until they think we don't care, then they get the hump. I do wish they would make their minds up...

Cue Music - " Don't cry for me Gen. Prayuth the truth is .... actually banned under Art 44. "
That is a quite disgraceful post.You completely overlooked the major reform which is not open for dispute, namely the removal of deck chairs from beaches In the South.Future historians will hail this milestone as the great achievement of our glorious government, and one that fully justified the righteous overthrow of democracy.

The fact that there have been no other reforms is a pedantic quibble.Not true also as the stripping of The Great Beast's police rank amply attests.

Edited by jayboy

That is a quite disgraceful post.You completely overlooked the major reform which is not open for dispute, namely the removal of deck chairs from beaches In the South.Future historians will hail this milestone as the great achievement of our glorious government, and one that fully justified the righteous overthrow of democracy.

The fact that there have been no other reforms is a pedantic quibble.Not true also as the stripping of The Great Beast's police rank amply attests.

I cannot apologise enough and throw myself at your feet craving mercy.

As the great Charlerm ordained if I do not purge myself within 90 days you can behead me but in the spirit of this mighty govt may I humbly request you first set up a committee and then give an extension to the deadline.

We progress one step at a time. Anecdotal history shows that rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic was a futile gesture. Lesson learned. Next time we try removing them all together in the hope of a better result.

Edited by ballpoint

"Thaksin served in the police force from 1973 to 1987, rising to the rank of Police Lieutenant-Colonel, which he has retained since resigning from the force."

How the heck does a person get to retain their rank after they resigned? Even Nixon knew he was no longer president after he resigned..... All current government needs to tell foreign governments (as if they could care): "This is Thailand. TIT"

You numpties have got it all wrong. Of course foreign governments are interested in the minutae of Thai life. It's called "comic relief".

I thought the comic relief was coming ftom the Prosecution/RTP case against the B2 on KT ?

why is this such a big deal ? a convicted criminal is stripped from his police title ?

A big deal when considering PAD & PDRC activist Maj Gen Chamlong Srimuang charged and convicted for the airport seizure still has his rank and no account of any attempt or process to strip him. Double standard??

I can't recall that Chamlong has a jail term and is on the run at the moment, or?

How does a convicted felon keep a title as Police Captain for even one day after being convicted?

The fact that it took Thailand all these years to strip his title speaks volumes for the way things work here.

Political motivation aside, this is just another head-scratcher for Westerners trying to figure out this nutty place.

because all the higher rank people in the bureaucracy are his cronies...almost 15 years in power and before also in government.

I can't recall that Chamlong has a jail term and is on the run at the moment, or?

Selective memory? 2 years sentenced for the government house seizure. He didn't need to run and we all know why.

djaime, djaime, is that you djaime?

Laws come in handy for selective enforcement.