Thaksin rank revocation: National police chief threatens media with lawsuits

webfact

'No skirting of Thaksin rank revocation'
THE NATION

30266563-01_big.png

STUNG BY CRITICISM, NATIONAL POLICE CHIEF THREATENS MEDIA WITH LAWSUITS

BANGKOK: NATIONAL police chief Pol General Somyot Poompanmuang yesterday denied dragging his feet over the revocation of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's rank of police lieutenant-colonel.

Meanwhile, Justice Minister General Paiboon Koomchaya said he would submit the report of Monday's meeting of the Council of State, the Justice Ministry and police on the matter to Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha later yesterday. Paiboon said he would not impinge on the duty of the national police chief.

Somyot insisted: "I have never been indifferent, nor have I dragged my feet on the revocation of Thaksin's police rank … If it is an order from the prime minister, I would welcome [his decision, which is] under the framework of law and regulation and be ready to continue the process. I have to admit that there are pressures from society. I am ready to receive criticism, but I'd like them to be in accordance with facts."

Somyot said certain media had been excessively critical of him, and threatened to sue them if it damaged his reputation.

He added that today, the Office of the Official Information Commission (OIC) would invite representatives from the Royal Thai Police to provide information about the Official Information Act 1997 in relation to the possibility of revoking a police rank.

Earlier, the Office of the Police Commission concluded that stripping a person of his rank could be done even when that person was no longer in duty.

Somyot also welcomed the government move to convene a meeting of relevant agencies to work on the issue with Paiboon at the helm, to find a solution to this matter.

"I have to say that the issue started in 2009 and the Royal Thai Police have always been working on this issue. However, because of certain circumstances, there have been continuous changes. Ideas, consequently, diverged between 2009 and 2011. In 2012, the police concluded that the rank should not be removed," Somyot said.

He said that since 2013, there had been complaints to the Ombudsman that the police conclusion was invalid. The Ombudsman, therefore, had asked the police to reconsider the issue in 2014. It was then that Somyot set up a panel to consider the issue based on the 1994 regulation on rank revocation.

The panel ruled that Thaksin's rank should be removed. The dossier was then sent to the Office of Human Resources to verify the details.

The Office of Human Resources suggested that there were some unclear aspects regarding legal issues that had to be clarified by the Council of State and the OIC.

They included the possibility of stripping the rank of a person who was no longer in service and the regulation regarding rank revocation without being announced in the Royal Gazette first.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/No-skirting-of-Thaksin-rank-revocation-30266563.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-14

"Somyot said certain media had been excessively critical of him, and threatened to sue them if it damaged his reputation." Is he delusional? He is presuming people consider he has a high reputation....but presumptions like assumptions can lead to bad outcomes.

"I have to say that the issue started in 2009 and the Royal Thai Police have always been working on this issue.

They haven't been working on it occasionally, they have ALWAYS been working on it. That will give you confidence won't it.

The guy is dragging his feet big time, and the other posters who said that Thaksin would not care if he lost it are wrong. If that was the case this guy would not have dragged his feet. Loosing his rank is an other blow to his ego and should be done.

Somyot said certain media had been excessively critical of him, and threatened to sue them if it damaged his reputation.

free press in Thailand anyone?

I think not...

To compare again, there never was a free press in Thaksin era, all press and TV were strictly controlled-------look it up.

Press is free up to the point that fear of damages is easy here as money talks, But it is free to a certain extent. There are no camps that people are taken to that go against the government or you would be the first inmate.

I think not...

To compare again, there never was a free press in Thaksin era, all press and TV were strictly controlled-------look it up.

Press is free up to the point that fear of damages is easy here as money talks, But it is free to a certain extent. There are no camps that people are taken to that go against the government or you would be the first inmate.

If as you claim, there never was a free press in the Thaksin era, how does that justify such freedom being further constrained now?

And on your second point, yes people are taken to Army camps for "attitude adjustment" if they openly voice opposition to the current regime.

Mind you, if 'tbthailand', and for that matter myself, were to be led into such an establishment I doubt whether either of us would be surprised to see you grinning at us from the window of the Komandatur!

So the national police chief thinks that his reputation can be damaged by the press saying what everyone (except the reds) is thinking? What a pathetic little man he is.

yes a pathetic little yellow man so your 'red' allusion is wrong as this guy is the yellows National Police Chief did you forget that?

" If it is an order from the prime minister, I would welcome [his decision, which is] under the framework of law and regulation and be ready to continue the process."

In other words, I HAVE been dragging this out because I don't want my mentor to think I would shame him....I want need someone to order me to do what the law says I should do, then I can't be blamed.

BTW...my retirement is coming up soon...do you think I can find another loophole to drag it out until then? Let my successor take the blame from my paymaster.

"The Office of Human Resources suggested that there were some unclear aspects regarding legal issues that had to be clarified by the Council of State and the OIC.

They included the possibility of stripping the rank of a person who was no longer in service and the regulation regarding rank revocation without being announced in the Royal Gazette first."

Well, then.....It has been opined at the highest levels that it is all legit, so get cracking and publish it in the Gazette!

Duh!!!

I'd love to read a transcript of some recent phone calls between Somyot and the head of HR; "I need you to look at this very carefully...if you can find legal reasons to put this off, I will get you that pay rise before I retire."

Edited by Seastallion

And they worry about Gazetting this!!

What about gazetting the new drinking rules which are unclear. How can laws be enforced if not gazetted. I guess we have a governement which can do as it likes, so whats the problem about Thaksin?

So the national police chief thinks that his reputation can be damaged by the press saying what everyone (except the reds) is thinking? What a pathetic little man he is.

yes a pathetic little yellow man so your 'red' allusion is wrong as this guy is the yellows National Police Chief did you forget that?

Don't you think he is a bit the same as the former CSI Chief, who was yellow under the Dems and then became a turn coat and stallward of Thaksin, the reds ?

Edited by cougar52

Don't you think he is a bit the same as the former CSI Chief, who was yellow under the Dems and then became a turn coat and stallward of Thaksin, the reds ?

you might be right but it would be the opposite in this case...

but I suspect you are right as 99% are opportunistic and no doubt if/when the coup becomes out of favour many will turn round and say "well we weren't really (REALLY) supporters"

I think not...

He learned it from the master Thaksin who threatend everybody with lawsuits if he didn't like what he was reading.

"Somyot said certain media had been excessively critical of him, and threatened to sue them if it damaged his reputation."

by revealing the facts.

Telling the truth, revealing the facts !

Isn't that a capital crime here ?

This is symptomatic of the problems in Thailand these days.

There is far more concern over one's reputation than actually doing a job which is supposed to be helping the people of this country.

Worth highlighting and repeating. Apt in so many all areas of bureaucracy.

I see so many articles on TV and other news outlets in regards to the stripping of Thaksin's rank, but have yet to read one single article on what progress the current government has made in regards to reconciliation. Priorities are all mixed up.

Edited by ldiablo