PM asks Thais to stop using plastic bags every 15th day of the month

Lite Beer

Dear pm - please stop with this foolishness. How's fighting corruption going? From my knowledge the police force and land departments are as corrupt as ever. What are you going about this ? Plastic bags. Grow up.

So you don't figure that quality of life would improve, along with tourist spending if the place presented a little cleaner?

The fact that governments around the entire world have dealt with the issue of paper vs plastic vs cloth bags indicates that it is a serious topic, and hardly "foolishness".

Only foolish to the fools.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

these things don't change over night, in northern europe it took years to change the mind set of people, in australia it has only just started and is far from accomplished. and it will take an even longer time here.

particularly the food markets will not be able to exist without plastic. how would you buy som tam, gai jung or pra mutt unless you bring your own tupper ware container?

when we go shopping we try to 'lead by example', taking our own baskets and bags. still attracts plenty of smiles and questioning looks when we take the pineapples from the scales and put them 'as is' into our market basket. even at lotus it's a constant battle to prevent the checkout staff from packing plastic wraped stuff into another plastic bag instead of our shopping bags held open and ready for them.

i am confident change will happen, but perhaps not in my life time?

This is just half the story..indeed Europe bans plastic bags for shopping. Before most of these bags were re-used for garbage. Now you need to buy garbage bags from the government. Same plastic more tax. IMO, much more plastic is used in Europe than in Asia. In Europe nearly all food items are individually packed while in Asia there is still a lot more offered in bulk. Europe just pretends and IMO certainly not an example. The world needs plastic but a solution needs to be found to eliminate these plastics after use..some tests have been done with GMO bacteria but this creates other risks. I hope soon somebody will find a solution!

seems that nobody get the memo.

the wife just got home with the grocery packed in plastic bags from Foodland and 7/11 facepalm.gif

Bring your own cloth bags when go shopping today

14-8-2558-16-32-37-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Don't forget to bring along your cloth bags when go shopping at all 15 major companies that operate department stores, super makets, super centres, and convenient stores as they will not use plastic bags to keep your purchases today as they began for the first time to observe the "plastic bags-free" campaign.

The stores joining the campaign compruse B2S, CP All, Big C, The Mall Group, Food Land, Siam Makro, Robinson, Central, Central Food Retail, Central Marketing Group, Rangsit Plaza, CRC Thaiwasadu, CRC Sports, Power Buy, and Ekkachai Distribution System.

The campaign was aimed at reducing the use of plastic waste.

The Department of Environmental Promotion expects to reduce over a million plastic bags a day under the campaign which will be held on the 15th of every month.

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha also urged the people to cooperate in the campaign during his address on his weekly “Returning Happinesss to the Thai People” programme last night.

The prime minister said that the amount of plastic garbage would be 70 million plastic bags less per day if every Thai stops using just one plastic bag a day.

The current government places great importance in sustainable development and is environment friendly and, therefore, has designated garbage disposal as a national agenda under 3R principle which is reduce, reuse and recycle, said the prime minister.

Beginning this Saturday, the government in cooperation with the private sector which include operators of department stores, malls and convenience stores will urge members of the public to bring their own bags to carry the goods they bought instead of asking plastic bags, said the prime minister.

He further said that it would be much better if the people could stop using plastic bags more than one day within a month or every day.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bring-your-own-cloth-bags-when-go-shopping-today

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-15

these things don't change over night, in northern europe it took years to change the mind set of people, in australia it has only just started and is far from accomplished. and it will take an even longer time here.

particularly the food markets will not be able to exist without plastic. how would you buy som tam, gai jung or pra mutt unless you bring your own tupper ware container?

when we go shopping we try to 'lead by example', taking our own baskets and bags. still attracts plenty of smiles and questioning looks when we take the pineapples from the scales and put them 'as is' into our market basket. even at lotus it's a constant battle to prevent the checkout staff from packing plastic wraped stuff into another plastic bag instead of our shopping bags held open and ready for them.

i am confident change will happen, but perhaps not in my life time?

This is just half the story..indeed Europe bans plastic bags for shopping. Before most of these bags were re-used for garbage. Now you need to buy garbage bags from the government. Same plastic more tax. IMO, much more plastic is used in Europe than in Asia. In Europe nearly all food items are individually packed while in Asia there is still a lot more offered in bulk. Europe just pretends and IMO certainly not an example. The world needs plastic but a solution needs to be found to eliminate these plastics after use..some tests have been done with GMO bacteria but this creates other risks. I hope soon somebody will find a solution!

You could only buy biodegradable plastic bags last time I was there.

It should all start at school and home with the young ones. Anti littering....wearing motorcycle helmets......You would think on the day of the week when they all where there girl and boy scout uniforms.

Klean the Kingdom for the King campaign....all the kids could join.

Just say "mai sai tung krap" - yes, it's that easy, it's that easy!

When I go to Tesco Lotus big things like rice, toilet paper, muesli etc I don't need a bag.

Maybe just open counters with and WITHOUT bags....

The PM should incorporate "Mai Sai Tung Khrap" into the national anthem.

If I buy my daughter a tiny pack of chewing gum it comes in a plastic bag. Buy her an ice cream...plastic bag.

I believe in paper bags, if indeed a bag is needed at all. At least they degrade.

I was at my in-laws' place in Surin once in January, when everything was dry & dead, and there were plastic bags & garbage EVERYWHERE!

I told my wife I'd be happy to give her Dad 5,000 baht to hire a crew to clean up the neighborhood.

She told me that might hurt his feelings....cause him to 'lose face', so nothing was done.

SCG Chemicals definitely wouldn't approve.

I'm absolutely sure all will comply because he told them said so. After 15 months, he still hasn't figured out that telling citizens to do something doesn't work like the army where barking out orders must be followed. Sheesh!

Edited by jerojero

seems that nobody get the memo.

the wife just got home with the grocery packed in plastic bags from Foodland and 7/11 facepalm.gif

Bring your own cloth bags when go shopping today

14-8-2558-16-32-37-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Don't forget to bring along your cloth bags when go shopping at all 15 major companies that operate department stores, super makets, super centres, and convenient stores as they will not use plastic bags to keep your purchases today as they began for the first time to observe the "plastic bags-free" campaign.

The stores joining the campaign compruse B2S, CP All, Big C, The Mall Group, Food Land, Siam Makro, Robinson, Central, Central Food Retail, Central Marketing Group, Rangsit Plaza, CRC Thaiwasadu, CRC Sports, Power Buy, and Ekkachai Distribution System.

The campaign was aimed at reducing the use of plastic waste.

The Department of Environmental Promotion expects to reduce over a million plastic bags a day under the campaign which will be held on the 15th of every month.

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha also urged the people to cooperate in the campaign during his address on his weekly “Returning Happinesss to the Thai People” programme last night.

The prime minister said that the amount of plastic garbage would be 70 million plastic bags less per day if every Thai stops using just one plastic bag a day.

The current government places great importance in sustainable development and is environment friendly and, therefore, has designated garbage disposal as a national agenda under 3R principle which is reduce, reuse and recycle, said the prime minister.

Beginning this Saturday, the government in cooperation with the private sector which include operators of department stores, malls and convenience stores will urge members of the public to bring their own bags to carry the goods they bought instead of asking plastic bags, said the prime minister.

He further said that it would be much better if the people could stop using plastic bags more than one day within a month or every day.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bring-your-own-cloth-bags-when-go-shopping-today

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-08-15

I will when the thief who stole mine off my motorcycle returns it.

I was in a haberdashery in Phi Chit with the wife the other day and when she finished ordering the shop girl packed her stuff in paper bags! Wow! First time I've seen paper bags being used in LOS.

This mornings BP said if there is enough public interest in this the government would consider giving away tote bags, (let them buy their own tote bags) why they don't announce that from say January 1st 2016 plastic bags will be banned from all supermarkets and convenience stores, and make that ban nation wide say 6 months later.

This would have an immediate positive and visable impact on Thailand's environment.

And then the inevitable 6 month extension on the deadline followed by....

I use the plastic bags from the supermarket as garbage bags. If these are not abailable anymore, I will need to buy garbage bags. What's the difference?

Most of (Western) people who have a good intention to protect this 3rd rock from the sun misunderstood the real agenda created by the plastic bag industry!

In the good old days, supermarkets used the paper bag and then they wanted to cut their cost so they changed to the plastic bag. Then people stopped buying the rubbish bag as they didn't need to buy it anymore, they just used their shopping bag provided free of charge by their supermarket.

The palstic bag industry had to come up with something creative to fool people, hence, stop using plastic bags in supermarkets to save an environment. A lot of people fell for it, unfortunately.

The simple fact is that this planet doesn't need to be saved as it will be around even after all human beings disappeared. Would you believe it, it will go on without any humand beings, actually. This concept of saving our planet is simply false, it is more to do with saving the plastic bag industry and of course, increasing supermarkets' profit.

And for Aisan countries, they will continue to focus on making money disregarding the future of this little planet. After all, it is obvious that this planet is tougher than us wai2.gif

They started charging customers for bags here in SA,but the only people who benefitted from it are the retailers....before they gave them for free but now charge for them ! And I can tell you only a few people reuse their old bags when shopping.

No plasstic bags!!! what will we shit in :)

The PM initive is a start- but It's not the plastic bags thats the problem--its knowing how to dispose of waste in a sustainable way

Thailand is in the "goldilocks phase' with a bit of plastic (cash) to throw around and thats exactly what they are doing with --it throwing it around!!!

When Thais change there thinking-and its no longer cool to litter --- this part of the planet may eventually look beautiful again-- as it once was

How's this acomplished:

1) a Show documentarys to school kids, during school hours, about environmental damage caused by humans. And show (on free to air tv) to adults too

b Allocate an advertising budget to 'mind your environment'

2) a Use gass instead of petrol for transport

b Establish more electric mass transport services

3) Invest in renuable energy

4) Recycle waste

5) Impose strict fines for littering

6) Impose large fines for commercial and industral environmental damage

7) Incourage birth controal as there will soon be MUCH less unskilled work -due to cheaper automation

8) incourage organic, and hi tech water/emergy efficient farming

No plasstic bags!!! what will we shit in smile.png

The PM initive is a start- but It's not the plastic bags thats the problem--its knowing how to dispose of waste in a sustainable way

Thailand is in the "goldilocks phase' with a bit of plastic (cash) to throw around and thats exactly what they are doing with --it throwing it around!!!

When Thais change there thinking-and its no longer cool to litter --- this part of the planet may eventually look beautiful again-- as it once was

How's this acomplished:

1) a Show documentarys to school kids, during school hours, about environmental damage caused by humans. And show (on free to air tv) to adults too

b Allocate an advertising budget to 'mind your environment'

2) a Use gass instead of petrol for transport

b Establish more electric mass transport services

3) Invest in renuable energy

4) Recycle waste

5) Impose strict fines for littering

6) Impose large fines for commercial and industral environmental damage

7) Incourage birth controal as there will soon be MUCH less unskilled work -due to cheaper automation

8) incourage organic, and hi tech water/emergy efficient farming

yeah, that will work.....how long have you lived here?

When I go to Tesco Lotus big things like rice, toilet paper, muesli etc I don't need a bag.

The PM should incorporate "Mai Sai Tung Khrap" into the national anthem.

If I buy my daughter a tiny pack of chewing gum it comes in a plastic bag. Buy her an ice cream...plastic bag.

I believe in paper bags, if indeed a bag is needed at all. At least they degrade.

I was at my in-laws' place in Surin once in January, when everything was dry & dead, and there were plastic bags & garbage EVERYWHERE!

I told my wife I'd be happy to give her Dad 5,000 baht to hire a crew to clean up the neighborhood.

She told me that might hurt his feelings....cause him to 'lose face', so nothing was done.

They may or may not exist in Thailand but there have been for some years now biodegradable plastic bags. Still a good idea to cut the use of them though just not sure if this one day a month thing is the best way to do it.

I think there is a downside to the use of paper bags, at least larger ones. They tend to weigh more so there is an environmental impact in transporting them.

Too many plastic bags is a problem agreed

Massive traffic congestion with cars crawling along at a few miles an hour burning fuel is a bigger problem.

The PM introduced cycle lanes around the ratanakosin area. He single handedly reduced two lanes of traffic to one . As a result it takes twice the time to travel, congestion is obviously worse but the motorbikes and street vendors can use the cycle lane, as can a few cycles, as the people he is restoring happiness to sit on the bus for double the time

I use the plastic bags from the supermarket as garbage bags. If these are not abailable anymore, I will need to buy garbage bags. What's the difference?

Most of (Western) people who have a good intention to protect this 3rd rock from the sun misunderstood the real agenda created by the plastic bag industry!

In the good old days, supermarkets used the paper bag and then they wanted to cut their cost so they changed to the plastic bag. Then people stopped buying the rubbish bag as they didn't need to buy it anymore, they just used their shopping bag provided free of charge by their supermarket.

The palstic bag industry had to come up with something creative to fool people, hence, stop using plastic bags in supermarkets to save an environment. A lot of people fell for it, unfortunately.

The simple fact is that this planet doesn't need to be saved as it will be around even after all human beings disappeared. Would you believe it, it will go on without any humand beings, actually. This concept of saving our planet is simply false, it is more to do with saving the plastic bag industry and of course, increasing supermarkets' profit.

And for Aisan countries, they will continue to focus on making money disregarding the future of this little planet. After all, it is obvious that this planet is tougher than us wai2.gif

So the plastic bag industry is trying to get supermarkets to stop using plastic bags so people will buy more garbage bags?

How did you determine that there is more money in selling garbage bags to individuals then there is in selling shopping bags to stores?

Seems to me that they sell a lot of both.

Also I think the save the planet hype was not started to save the plastic bag industry. in fact they are under attack because of it

I am not a fan of the global crisis hysteria, but I do hate trash and plastic bags are a major component of trash.

Just say NO! I don't want the bloody bag, lot easier.

Too many plastic bags is a problem agreed

Massive traffic congestion with cars crawling along at a few miles an hour burning fuel is a bigger problem.

The PM introduced cycle lanes around the ratanakosin area. He single handedly reduced two lanes of traffic to one . As a result it takes twice the time to travel, congestion is obviously worse but the motorbikes and street vendors can use the cycle lane, as can a few cycles, as the people he is restoring happiness to sit on the bus for double the time

I like the boy man, he says it as it is.

Was shopping at Big C today, they give you a 5 Baht discount if you don't take their plastic bags. They said today this government promotion started and then every 15th each month. They also had quite big announcement about this at their promotion posters in the store.

To be honest, 5 Baht may not seem much and one day per month, okay....

But at least raising awareness about environmental topics. I hope so...