Geriatric Hospital

iainiain101

• 7 months later...

I got sick with the runs a week ago and because I had been reading this topic here I thought I would go to the new geriatric hospital in chiang mai. The doctors and nurses spoke English for those of you that need that. They had to put me on an IV and kept me there for three days. I asked for a private room, had xrays, stool and blood tests, saw three different doctors and my bill only came to 12,600 baht. That also included all my take home medications. The price is very good compared to Ram or BKK. I noticed all the staff had Chiang Mai University badges on and seemed very confidant. My follow up doctors visit this week was 400 baht.

Edited by BarnicaleBob

I have had a message or two about my stay in the Geriatric Hospital, so here is more information about it. I asked for a private room and it came equipped with a small refrigerator, a 42 inch flat screen TV with remote, electric bed, a bed for your loved one to sleep on next to yours, a sink, dishes and other kitchen items, a good AC unit, a large bathroom with hot and cold water in the sink and the shower and the nurses were very quick to respond when I pressed the buzzer. I was on the 4th floor and all the nurses there spoke English well for a non-native speaker.

When it came time to check out, my bill and medications were brought to my room, I was then taken by wheelchair to the cashier where I paid my bill and was out the door in only a couple of minutes. Very efficient and fast service, much better than Ram. The price was also much lower than I thought it was going to be.

Thanks for the info @Bob. This looks like a great option if need arises, also easy (and fast) to access for us "Southerners". It belongs to CMU, so that should explain the affordable price level.

Let's hope it will not get run over by the not-so-in-need and consequently suffers the same demise as the health insurance for foreigners 2 years ago.

Thanks for the info @Bob. This looks like a great option if need arises, also easy (and fast) to access for us "Southerners". It belongs to CMU, so that should explain the affordable price level.

Let's hope it will not get run over by the not-so-in-need and consequently suffers the same demise as the health insurance for foreigners 2 years ago.

According to the other thread on this topic (which should be incorporated with this one) The ultimate goal is to make it for 60 and over. They are taking them at 40 now and still have room so I don't look forward to them being over run. Just slowly able to attain their goal of Geriatric 60+.

It makes sense to have a place where older people can go as they will be suffering far more from many things than a 40 year old.

Edit

Forgot to mention sadly not only are they more prone to different diseases but we are more fragile.

Edited by northernjohn