Am I being overcharged by 3BB?

gmac

For a number of years I have been using 3BB's 900baht package (advertised speeds currently 15MB up /1MB down) but recently started to have many problems. Speedtests consistently showed that I was getting the promised 15MB/1MB but it became completely useless for streaming video as the signal would cut every 10/15 minutes or so. After making numerous calls to the help number and a number of engineer visits who admitted to hating and having little idea what to do about these intermittent faults the situation appeared to have been resolved. However, my speedtest results now show a consistent 11.xxMB download and 0.5-0.6MB upload and I wonder if I have possibly been downgraded to the 590baht package which offers 10mb up/0.5Mb down.

I am loathe to contact the help desk again as the service as it is now is perfectly adequate for my needs and I fear that they may switch me back to the previous connection which was clearly faulty. On the other hand I don't want to be overpaying 300baht a month if I really am now on the basic package.

What speeds do other users get from the 590baht 3BB package and does it work well for streaming video (particularly EPL football)?

Edited by gmac

Indeed it appears you have been downgraded and now connecting at a speed your line can support. I would call 3BB and advise them of this and that you should now be billed for service being provided. It appears you do not have any contract requirements to continue paying for something that is not being provided if you have had service for a number of years.

Connect to your router and check what it shows for your DSL connection speed. Then report that information to them if it is lower than subscribed.

Sorry for showing my ignorance but how do I check the DSL connection speed?

Indeed it appears you have been downgraded and now connecting at a speed your line can support. I would call 3BB and advise them of this and that you should now be billed for service being provided. It appears you do not have any contract requirements to continue paying for something that is not being provided if you have had service for a number of years.

I am concerned that they will just reconnect me to the old line rather than admit that they have put me on the lower priced service.

Connect to your router and check what it shows for your DSL connection speed. Then report that information to them if it is lower than subscribed.

Will depend on your modem. Connect and login to the modem admin panel with your web browser, sometimes that IP is 192.168.1.1 depending on modem. On my Cisco router there is a Status option and in that and under that an option DSL Connection. If you give the make/model of your modem someone may be able to give further details. BTW, I have the 13/1 963 Baht package for several years.

post-566-0-27970100-1439780024_thumb.jpg

Will depend on your modem. Connect and login to the modem admin panel with your web browser, sometimes that IP is 192.168.1.1 depending on modem. On my Cisco router there is a Status option and in that and under that an option DSL Connection. If you give the make/model of your modem someone may be able to give further details. BTW, I have the 13/1 963 Baht package for several years.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Same package I have I think though they now call it 15/1. My line rates are showing as 13439 down and 750 up, so looks like they have connected me to some halfway house line for customers who complain too much!! Should be either the 15/1 you are getting or 10/0.5 on the basic 590 package.

Also please keep in mind that streaming video requires a fairly "steady, consistent" flow of data vs a herky, jerky, stop & go data flow.

Doing a speedtest may show you are receiving your advertised speed (ie., 15Mb) domestically/in-Thailand but when doing a speedtest to an international site, say in the UK, you may only get 2 to 5Mb of speed (which is enough for streaming video) "and that 2Mb (just for example) average speed is herky, jerky, stop & go" during that approx 15-30 second speed test. Speedtest.net shows a such a display when doing its speed test although Speedtest.net can be easily fooled when speedtesting to international websites and can give glorious (false) speed results. You might see the speed go significantly above 2Mb for a few seconds and then go way below 2Mb for a few seconds...and maybe even see zero speed for a split second....basically just an up, down, up, down, saw-tooth type speed and not a fairly steady, flat, consistent data flow. It don't need to be nor will it be a really flat, very steady data flow but it definitely can not be the herky, jerky, stop & go data flow type. Streaming video hates this type of connection and it can result in lots of pausing, loss connection to the streaming video, etc. So, you need to look at just more than "average speed" provided by a speed test since an average is just that an average which could include lots of peaks and valleys in speed/data flow.

Also please keep in mind that streaming video requires a fairly "steady, consistent" flow of data vs a herky, jerky, stop & go data flow.

Doing a speedtest may show you are receiving your advertised speed (ie., 15Mb) domestically/in-Thailand but when doing a speedtest to an international site, say in the UK, you may only get 2 to 5Mb of speed (which is enough for streaming video) "and that 2Mb (just for example) average speed is herky, jerky, stop & go" during that approx 15-30 second speed test. Speedtest.net shows a such a display when doing its speed test although Speedtest.net can be easily fooled when speedtesting to international websites and can give glorious (false) speed results. You might see the speed go significantly above 2Mb for a few seconds and then go way below 2Mb for a few seconds...and maybe even see zero speed for a split second....basically just an up, down, up, down, saw-tooth type speed and not a fairly steady, flat, consistent data flow. It don't need to be nor will it be a really flat, very steady data flow but it definitely can not be the herky, jerky, stop & go data flow type. Streaming video hates this type of connection and it can result in lots of pausing, loss connection to the streaming video, etc. So, you need to look at just more than "average speed" provided by a speed test since an average is just that an average which could include lots of peaks and valleys in speed/data flow.

This was exactly what my problem was. Whenever I did the speedtest the overall result was 15Mb but you could see the spiking and peaks and troughs as the test was taking place. This is why I don't want to make too many waves now I have what appears to be a fairly solid 11Mb which seems to stream well though it galls me to think I may be paying too much for it.

>What speeds do other users get from the 590baht 3BB package and does it work well for streaming video (particularly EPL football)?

We've got a 3BB 10mbps/0.5mbps for the basic 590THB price and like o/p it consistently gives 11mbps/0.5mbps speedtest results. We can watch live EPL, usually NBC Sports best, uninterrupted.

Are you using the 3BB speedtest web page?

http://speedtest.3bb.co.th/

That result is really the only one which is guaranteed in your contract. There is some built-in overhead so ~ 14 Mbps might be the max. DL rate achievable on a 15 Mbps DSL line?

If you still have an issue contact them, they are one of the better ISPs re; customer service, and if your router or line is older it may need a sprucing up.

Are you using the 3BB speedtest web page?

http://speedtest.3bb.co.th/

That result is really the only one which is guaranteed in your contract. There is some built-in overhead so ~ 14 Mbps might be the max. DL rate achievable on a 15 Mbps DSL line?

If you still have an issue contact them, they are one of the better ISPs re; customer service, and if your router or line is older it may need a sprucing up.

I do use that speed test page and that is how I can can see my consistent 11mb download speed. What I am an interested in is the router setting which indicates that my speeds seem to be capped at levels below the package I am paying for and possibly similar to those experienced by users of the basic 590 baht service.

While I am now perfectly happy with the speeds I am getting I'm just trying to establish whether or not I am paying more for it than I need to be.

590 baht package should be heavily throttled, so not good for your usage.

Perhaps ask for upgrade to VDSL2 / FTTX 30/3 mbit package for 1200 + Vat. That way you won't experience dsl signal problems (If you can convince them to deploy fiber)

Perhaps ask for upgrade to VDSL2 / FTTX 30/3 mbit package for 1200 + Vat. That way you won't experience dsl signal problems (If you can convince them to deploy fiber)

I don't actually need any upgrade. The service I'm getting seems to work well for streaming, my query relates to the fact that I was previously getting a faster but unreliable connection and am wondering if there is a fault with the higher priced package in my area.

It has occurred to me from replies on this topic that I might now actually have been placed on the 590 baht connection and that I have been wasting money paying for a higher grade service which, in fact, was inferior due to some intermittent line fault which they appear unable to rectify.

Edited by gmac

I don't actually need any upgrade. The service I'm getting seems to work well for streaming, my query relates to the fact that I was previously getting a faster but unreliable connection and am wondering if there is a fault with the higher priced package in my area.

It has occurred to me from replies on this topic that I might now actually have been placed on the 590 baht connection and that I have been wasting money paying for a higher grade service which, in fact, was inferior due to some intermittent line fault which they appear unable to rectify.

If you're far from dslam box, your line may not support 15/1 mbit speed. Thats why they decreased your speed to make it more stable. However if you downgrade your package to not to pay extra for the speed you're incapable of getting, they could throttle your connection more due to your basic package.

That's interesting, what's your connection speed? (See Tywais posts above.) I'd like to see if yours are the same as mine.....13439 down, 750 up.

My modem on the basic 590THB package has been reading like this pretty much everyday.

attachicon.gif3bb.JPG

Very interesting, download virtually identical to mine. Although my upload speed (which I hardly ever use) is faster than yours it's still much less than it should be on the higher rate package and, as your download on the 590THB package is well in excess of the advertised 10Mb anyway I think my suspicion that I am now linked to that package may well be true.

If you're far from dslam box, your line may not support 15/1 mbit speed. Thats why they decreased your speed to make it more stable. However if you downgrade your package to not to pay extra for the speed you're incapable of getting, they could throttle your connection more due to your basic package.

Thanks for that unwelcome thought!! You may well be right although digitalbanana seems to be getting the same speed as me for the lower price.

Totally agree. A lot of the lines are also piggy backed from the exchange. as way of retrieving costs by other providers. (static / non static) More to thai internet than just the speed test.

If you are constantly pulling data from overseas there is another plan you need to take above the local internet. ( need to check the details with provider)

If you in apartment block, the game is changed again. 1 cable to your main system then depending upon how many units in the block, you have will equal the amount of outgoing connectors attached. therefore school holidays evenings your internet will run slow due to over capacity.

Yes you have your plan and allocated useage, that doesnt mean you will receive this.

Some areas also apply old tech at the junction boxs.

check your IP address each day for a couple days if the IP changes then your line is not dedicated.

Totally agree. A lot of the lines are also piggy backed from the exchange. as way of retrieving costs by other providers. (static / non static) More to thai internet than just the speed test.

If you are constantly pulling data from overseas there is another plan you need to take above the local internet. ( need to check the details with provider)

If you in apartment block, the game is changed again. 1 cable to your main system then depending upon how many units in the block, you have will equal the amount of outgoing connectors attached. therefore school holidays evenings your internet will run slow due to over capacity.

Yes you have your plan and allocated useage, that doesnt mean you will receive this.

check your IP address each day for a couple days if the IP changes then your line is not dedicated.

ADSL lines are dedicated, cable (docsis) is shared.

IP address will change everytime his connection drop due to long distance phone cable to the junction box. Unless he bought a static IP, which is highly unlikely.

Each junction box should have atleast 1gbit fiber connection so no, it will not slowdown because of how many units connected to it. Main problem lies in IIG, not local connections except farang saturated locations.

Thai only use line / facebook / youtube and local websites.

ADSL lines are dedicated, cable (docsis) is shared.

IP address will change everytime his connection drop due to long distance phone cable to the junction box. Unless he bought a static IP, which is highly unlikely.

Each junction box should have atleast 1gbit fiber connection so no, it will not slowdown because of how many units connected to it. Main problem lies in IIG, not local connections except farang saturated locations.

Thai only use line / facebook / youtube and local websites.

This is all getting a bit too technical for me. I live in a predominantly Thai area, no foreigners that I know of in the moo ban, nearest area of heavy expat population would be Ban Chang about 8kms away. I moved here only about 3 months ago and had initial problems with the line cutting in and out for a couple of weeks until they got it sorted out and reasonably stable for 2 months. Now about 2 weeks ago we had a storm and the problems started again. Their initial efforts to resolve were fruitless although speed tests continued to show a 15Mb download speed every time but with peak and troughs in the test graph resembling a mountain range. About a week ago following another engineer visit and numerous help centre calls the speedtest results reduced to a pretty consistent 11Mb without any of the peaks and troughs previously seen in the speedtest graphs.

It is the apparent resolution of the problem by cutting my connection speed which prompted me to ask the question as to whether I may now have been connected to the cheaper 590Baht package rather than the 900Baht pack I am paying for. Clearly, having now got a connection which appears stable and satisfies my requirements I have no wish to do anything to damage the situation but if I am now relegated to the lower priced package why should I continue to pay the premium rate?

If you can get True Online get it, and forget 3BB

The customer service with 3BB is terrible. I had 3 different technicians come out when I had no upload speed. Yes I said no upload as in 0mbps upload speed and couldnt send emails, couldnt send messages, nothing.

1st Tech said it was the router. I bought a new router, still the same problem.

2nd Tech said there was a problem with the line outside, never fixed the problem.

3rd Tech said new router was faulty, fitted old router and problem was fixed.

So which Tech fixed the problem, or is it just a scam to sell routers?

Edited by misterphil

Will certainly consider True ADSL if I have any more problems with the 3bb connection, but as I have already said, it's working fine again now the only question is whether I am overpaying for the service they are now providing.