Powerful bomb explode near Rajprasong intersection wounding 20 people

webfact

For those who do not wish to read "gossip" and "opinions", I suggest you just google the news for related, factual stories.

There are very few qualified reporters, investigators connected with this forum.

ThaiVisa is pretty good for finding out where the nightlife is hopping, and where the food is good. Also, latest immigration policies, and such. However...you will see nothing more than "opinions" on this bombing. Plenty news about this on the major news sites.

In other words...this thread would be bare, if it were not for opinions, gossip and squabbling.

You are correct. And it is really discouraging to see 23 pages of this tripe, following this event.

For those of us who love the Kingdom, and call Bangkok home, this is a hard day.

I was at a meeting at the shrine on Friday, at a meeting a few hundred meters up the road yesterday, and was going to go to Central World (across the street) but decided to get my stuff at Pantip Plaza instead.

Over time, I have ridden the Thia Visa roller coaster .. from ignoring it, to posting (too much) on it .. to now .. sort of sitting back and coming to realize .. wow . many foreigners here are a pretty screwed up group and have within their ranks, a few odd people who think every form of human misery, from car crashes, fires, floods, death, maiming ... and explosions in crowded areas .. are .. "amusing"

To those who complain that the Foreigners who live in Bangkok "do not talk to other Foreigners" .. you are sadly mistaken. We talk to other Foreigners all the time, we just elect to avoid people like you. As is our right, yes?

So, yes .. I am not a bit surprised that in 23 pages, there is not on posting that added information of value, so I agree, time to get back to the news networks and see what has happened.

It is 07:10 .. and I need to get to a meeting .. right down the street from the bombing...because for people who actually live in the Kingdom, and Bangkok .. life goes on.

FYI - This is actually a reply to SlippryLobster to say "Yes, spot on ... Thanks"

To the Thai Visa crowd always looking for an argument, please, not today children .. the adults have serious work to do.

Well said to you both, I agree, I really do wonder what type of people actually post on here!

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It didn't take long for the crazies to make an appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DRzk4qlDME

I clicked the link but there is no option to exit full screen and attempt to tell the idiot who edited the video he's a compete hoax......

You're right though.....these guys have no shame using horrible incidents to promote themselves.....as if nobody knows any better

"dave j" is the "crazy" that posted that video:

photo.jpg

dave j

You can comment on this idiot's video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DRzk4qlDME

I tried and can't post. I can type everything in, then the "post" button doesn't activate. I've never posted something on youtube before so maybe that's part of the problem.

At any rate, his main problem is he assumes the car is the source of the explosion, when this video is almost certainly looking down Rachadamri Road. 2 lanes in the video, railings, and trimmed bushes clearly viewable in both the video and Google Street View. There is even a clearly visible camera on Google Streetview about 10 feet up on a pole, that seems to be the source. So this is entirely the wrong side of the corner.

He even uses that inconsistency as an indication of deceit when the aftermath scene is on the other side of the corner. Which is also again clear from the building in the background, width of the road, and that the Skytrain track above is straight, among other things.

And where does "Time Square" in his video title come from?

For those who do not wish to read "gossip" and "opinions", I suggest you just google the news for related, factual stories.

There are very few qualified reporters, investigators connected with this forum.

ThaiVisa is pretty good for finding out where the nightlife is hopping, and where the food is good. Also, latest immigration policies, and such. However...you will see nothing more than "opinions" on this bombing. Plenty news about this on the major news sites.

In other words...this thread would be bare, if it were not for opinions, gossip and squabbling.

You are correct. And it is really discouraging to see 23 pages of this tripe, following this event.

For those of us who love the Kingdom, and call Bangkok home, this is a hard day.

I was at a meeting at the shrine on Friday, at a meeting a few hundred meters up the road yesterday, and was going to go to Central World (across the street) but decided to get my stuff at Pantip Plaza instead.

Over time, I have ridden the Thia Visa roller coaster .. from ignoring it, to posting (too much) on it .. to now .. sort of sitting back and coming to realize .. wow . many foreigners here are a pretty screwed up group and have within their ranks, a few odd people who think every form of human misery, from car crashes, fires, floods, death, maiming ... and explosions in crowded areas .. are .. "amusing"

To those who complain that the Foreigners who live in Bangkok "do not talk to other Foreigners" .. you are sadly mistaken. We talk to other Foreigners all the time, we just elect to avoid people like you. As is our right, yes?

So, yes .. I am not a bit surprised that in 23 pages, there is not on posting that added information of value, so I agree, time to get back to the news networks and see what has happened.

It is 07:10 .. and I need to get to a meeting .. right down the street from the bombing...because for people who actually live in the Kingdom, and Bangkok .. life goes on.

FYI - This is actually a reply to SlippryLobster to say "Yes, spot on ... Thanks"

To the Thai Visa crowd always looking for an argument, please, not today children .. the adults have serious work to do.

Agree with your sentiments, and I vowed never to post again when I left Thailand in May - we have enough 'experts from abroad' on TV - but I doubt that it will stop the ratbag brigade here finding some sort of black humor in this incident. My sole observation is that local media here in Oz relied on a report from an American journo in Bangkok who claimed that 'this sort of thing has never happened in Bangkok'. Not sure who issued him his press card, but amnesia seems to have crept in - particularly ironic when he mentioned the proximity of Erawan to Central World.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Thai_political_protests

I expect that the relatives of those who died in 2010 havent forgotten that central Bangkok is no stranger to politically-inspired violence. No right-minded adult wants to see this madness come to a city which most of us love, warts and all. As you say, life goes on - just as it has in Sydney, Madrid and London - but the nutjobs behind these attacks need to be rounded up and put in front of a court ASAP.

OMG its a place of worship. One wonders how other religions would react if this was to happen at their place of worship. RIP to those poor souls who lost their lives to this savagery. Find the perpertrators then publically skin them alive and throw them in a piggery.

If all religions were banned, the world would be a much safer and peaceful place.

All gods suck and so do their stupid followers!

Unfortunately it's not a solution..All religions were banned in USSR..And even being a Russian I can't call my country a very peaceful.

This is tragic, but even more worrying is why and who dunnit?

Likely Uigher retaliation for those that were sent to China by Thailand recently.

They generally don't mess about.

Edited by DLang

Too early to speculate but according to a Thai expert on BBC tonight , since the bomb was placed at the shrine it was not primarily targeting tourists , but local Thais. So it could very well be a political motive.

I disagree - this area has a high percentage of foreigners.

If you wanted to hit Thais in rush hour then Victory Monument is this place.

This is tragic, but even more worrying is why and who dunnit?

Likely Uigher retaliation for those that were sent to China by Thailand recently.

They generally don't mess about.

Urgher don't have the means to carry out this type of action. They needed experts for this and weeks of surveillance and planning

OMG its a place of worship. One wonders how other religions would react if this was to happen at their place of worship. RIP to those poor souls who lost their lives to this savagery. Find the perpertrators then publically skin them alive and throw them in a piggery.

Sheeeeeeeeesh, just look at yourself!

I'd guess this has everything to do with the deportation of the uighurs. Hit Chinese Tourists and the Thai's

I'm seeing this in the Thai media. Some are saying that this is an aftereffect of tying Thailand too closely to China. Others are blaming the US, of course, for mentioning the issue in the first place.

Too early to speculate but according to a Thai expert on BBC tonight , since the bomb was placed at the shrine it was not primarily targeting tourists , but local Thais. So it could very well be a political motive.

I disagree - this area has a high percentage of foreigners.

If you wanted to hit Thais in rush hour then Victory Monument is this place.

As far as insurgents in the south....I would be thinking they would target Nana or Soi Cowboy (based on events long ago in Bali). I think they have pretty much concentrated on the south, not so much in Bangkok. This would be too much of an escalation, and bring very harsh consequences.

It was meant to hurt asians, not so much westerners....

If it was religious...or international...it seems like Uyghurs have recently been in the news...but I doubt that too.

Looks more and more like a disruption of the present Government....

Edited by slipperylobster

I guess it's good to buy a house near some hospital then and not count on ambulances.

I live in central BKK and have lived here for many years.

Virtually every day, I see ambulances with lights and sirens blaring stuck in BKK traffic and no one around them even trying to move their vehicles to clear a path. I mean, NO ONE!

Same thing on streets and highways that aren't gridlocked. The Thai drivers just keep tooling down the road and don't seem to pay any attention to whether there's an ambulance coming up behind them.

That's very sad to hear... As I said before, those ignorant people don't realize that the ambulance may be coming for THEM in the future. And at the time they don't let the ambulance through

some of THEIR family member can be dying. It truly blows my mind that people just don't care when the ambulance is coming.

I better rent some flat 100 meters to the hospital... wink.png

Having lived in Thailand for three decades, I observe the fastest way for an ambulance to get through heavy traffic is to squeeze in between cars right where the dotted lines are, cars will only have to move half a car to the left or right. Some ambulance drivers will drive like this through traffic, others who are less experienced will be stuck in traffic. If you expect cars to move out of the lane, that is highly unlikely especially when it comes to heavy traffic.

Edited by mike324

++1 but then there is some irony, in that your writing this on TV .......

What could make a person commit such an act, perhaps it could be a person whose family members

or friends are in leg irons. Placed there by an (unelected Military Judicial system with no appeals available

and not open to the public.

Left to spend 28 years and 30 years in a prison cell for freedom of conscience. No one pays attention, everyone looks the other way.

How about if it was one of your family or friends?

I know many Thai's are not too happy about that and chose to not participate in the "Bike Farce" while innocents are rotting away

in a prison cell for so-called "Violations of Thainess"

"How about if it was one of your family or friends?"

I can't see myself wanting to blow up a whole bunch of innocent people because of that.

But you would?

Never said it was Justified, Stated that motivation to commit more terrorism is coming as more people turn their heads and ignore the human rights abuses the military is constantly inflicting on the population with their endless "propaganda machine" Keep suppressing peoples right to vote, right to Free speech or to associate in gatherings of no more than 5 people, Keep charging people in military courts with no appeals to the verdict, Keep it up Thailand and I am sure there will be more of this to come. Respect to the innocent victims who died and the ones who have died the last few years in prison for text messages, You tube videos and Facebook posts.

Human rights abuse was already bad before the army took charge of the country, the army has been more transparent and equal regarding to putting down the fist on both political spectrum. Not saying I support the army on how they run the country, but I do give them points for enforcing the law which is the most basic thing for a democracy to work. But again that's kind of an ironic statement at the same time looking at how the army is too. But nonetheless Thailand needs to take two steps back before it can move forward again.

I would say motivation to commit terrorism is more on the political side instead of the human rights side. Religious motivation could be a possibility too but less likely. Again it could be anything too.

At this point in time, the only thing any of us can do is speculate on who did it and why. No one has any proof of anything at this point, other than a bomb was detonated and people were injured and killed.

As far as I know, only one possible "suspect" has been tentatively identified - an "Arab looking" man. And how did they determine that? By his facial features, his clothes? I'm an American, 2nd generation Irish on both sides of my family, but I've been told more than once that I "look Thai". So go figure that one out.

The only thing any of us can do at this point is to wait until some sort of "conclusive evidence" convincingly points to specific perpetrators. Until then, everything is pure speculation.

BBC JUST reported 2 explosions now

I'm listening to BBC. not mentioned that.

It was on the running commentry that runs along the bottom ,but it was taken down later. not that it matters but just a heads up.Also now it is being reported that a woman speaking Thai was seen to leave a bag just before the explosion, again who knows .

the one thing i think it is not ,is the red shirts ,i just cannot see them targeting a Bhudist shrine ,yes i know its Hindu . but a place where people are praying and has a large amount of tourists ,it would put their cause back 100 years and alienate so many Thai people

Edited by i claudius

A very shocking event, and I just cannot see any reason for targeting the Erawan Shrine. Yesterdays bike ride would have been an easy target for any would be attackers to have impact, yet they waited until today, and chose a target mainly used by normal everyday folks of all walks of life.

I hope no stone is left unturned searching out the villains who did this along with anyone involved in its inception.

Maybe there was no reason other than it was a reasonably crowded, central location where it was possible to plant a bomb without being seen. You really don't want to get caught planting a bomb, so you need to be very careful and plan it very well.

central location where it was possible to plant a bomb without being seen.gigglem.gifgigglem.gif

For you info...

post-105726-0-47826800-1439863520.jpg