Australian Embassy refuse to issue my Thai/Australian daughter with a tourist visa using her Thai pa

Australian Embassy refuse to issue my Thai/Australian daughter with a tourist visa using her Thai passport.

Any experiences of Australian citizens applying for tourist visa for their children on their Thai passport

Why do I have to apply for two (2) passports? Thai and Australian. Exiting on Thai passport then entering Australia on her Australian passport.

Double cost, inconvenience and just a waste of time.

Apply - re-new Australian passport. A bunch of documents, + certification by another Australian person, + AUD$ 220, + passport photos and a heap of other certified doc's, THEN, a trip to Bangkok Australian embassy to lodge application, daughter in tow, BUT, only between the hours of 8.30am - 12 midday. So to depart from Pattaya, find impossible parking in Bkk, all before 8.30am. Yeah! Right!

Australian citizens can't be restricted from entering Australia or have conditions put upon their stay (eg time limit, work restrictions, access to benefits). A visa does exactly that.

Suck it up, get your ducks lined up in a row and apply for the passport. Plenty of parking if you look around the embassy including many of the hotels.

• Like 1

Australian citizens can't be restricted from entering Australia or have conditions put upon their stay (eg time limit, work restrictions, access to benefits). A visa does exactly that.

Suck it up, get your ducks lined up in a row and apply for the passport. Plenty of parking if you look around the embassy including many of the hotels.

they are restricting benifits now for people returning after long stays but otherwise true.

they are restricting benifits now for people returning after long stays but otherwise true.

Got any examples? My experience was so long as you can establish proof of residency (easy to do) you will receive applicable benefits from the Dept of Human Services e.g.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/medicare/medicare-card/medicare-enrolment-for-returning-residents

If she is an Australian citizen she doesn't need a visa (or a passport) to enter Australia.

Australians who hold dual or multiple nationalities should hold an Australian passport and use it to enter or leave Australia, even when using a foreign passport overseas. The only exception is where they have been issued with an Australian Declaratory Visa.

http://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Mana/document

Edited by simple1

My daughter was born in UK and has a Thai passport. When we applied for a visa for UK for holiday they said they could not issue to her and they gave her an indefinite right to abode" Visa" which is valid as long as her Thai passport

• Like 1

You might find if you could get a visa it would be close to half the cost of a AU passport, still got to lodge it, leave your car at home and take a nice relaxing bus ride in.

Also one day your daughter may thank you for getting her an AU passport....smile and look into the middle distance its nowhere as bad as you think it is.

She is a Thai citizen, her aussie passport has expired. why pay for 2 passports for a short journey.

Harry, What benifits are restricted apon returning to oz ?

Same applies to the UK and probably many other countries...

If concerned about driving / parking in Bangkok, simple solution is to park up at BKK airport. Then take the ARL / MRT or taxi to the embassy, do your business, then back again to the airport.

I stay in Pattaya and have done the same many times when I have business in Bangkok. Takes all the strain out of the travel.

Edited by dabhand
  • Like 2

Rules, Regulations, Bureaucracy, Hoop Jumping etc... no matter how ridiculous and wrong they seem are often in place for reasons we do not yet understand, they are perhaps there for reasons that no longer exists, logic which may seem antiquated...

Regardless, there is no point in fighting these rules when there is a readily available alternative.

As has been stated: Australian Citizens cannot obtain a Visa to Australia (on a different Passport) - Regardless of the fact that your Daughter has no Australian passport, she may be an Australian Citizen by birth... However, this would mean she cannot be rejected from entry into Australia...

The whole situation becomes convoluted... and it has so because you've been a little stubborn.

By far the Best, Most Logical and Simplest solution is to obtain a Passport for your Daughter.

Parking up somewhere in Bangkok and taking a taxi to the Aus Embassy is no biggie...

If she is an Australian citizen she doesn't need a visa (or a passport) to enter Australia.

Australians who hold dual or multiple nationalities should hold an Australian passport and use it to enter or leave Australia, even when using a foreign passport overseas. The only exception is where they have been issued with an Australian Declaratory Visa.

http://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Mana/document

When I left oz I did so with my UK passport. Immigration questioned me using that section you quoted. I pointed out that although I have an Oz passport I prefer to travel on my UK one, also the section says 'should' not 'must' so there is no compulsion to use the oz passport.

They had no reason to stop me leaving so that was it.

One of my friends daughters is ostensibly Thai, and has lived in Thailand, and been to school here. (Thai mother, British father).

However, at 17 years old she is still only here on a British passport with a Thai visa, as such, she will need a work permit, to work.

This situation is in partly due to the role that his soon to be ex-wife has had to play in all this.

You should check and see if you can renounce your daughter's Australian citizenship. It would make things so much simpler for you and she could then get a visa.

I'm sure she would thank you when she was older.

Well said.

• Like 1

Harry, What benifits are restricted apon returning to oz ?

it's not that the social security benefit is restricted, it's about portability, and it affects the aged pension the most. There's a 2 year rule in place that works something like this:

In my situation I had been living in Thailand for 8 months prior to reaching pension age. I returned to Oz to apply for my aged pension. Because I had been outside of Oz for a short period before returning to apply for the pension this rule did not affect me and I returned to Thailand 2 weeks after reaching pension age and receiving my first pension payment. I have full portability. However, some of the supplements will either disappear or be reduced to the base level because I'm living overseas.

In my mates situation, he had been living in Thailand 6 months on, 6 months off (back in Oz) for the last 10 years. He also returned to Oz in May to apply for his aged pension. However, as he had been living outside Australia for such a long period, he MUST live in OZ for the first 2 years of receiving the pension before he will get portability. If he travels overseas during that 2 year period for more than 4 weeks, his pension payments will automatically cease, and he will need to reapply upon his return to Oz.

I have recently been told, that the Australian Embassy is conducting businesses in both Pattaya and Chiang Mai on a one day a month basis. Maybe a telephone call to the Bkk Embassy, or visit their website, to confirm this, along with the dates and the Pattaya address of attendance etc may help you. Hope so, best of luck.

Tel. Number: 02 344 6300

Edited by mankondang
  • Like 1

Been through this process both Embassy travel from Pattaya and Passport. Kids passport is 5 years and parking at the airport is a breeze. Maybe you question the need now, but what if you need it later in an emergency and you have to then rush to get it done.

As with most processes they are disruptive but it is just one of things that have to be done.

You are confused.
She is a Thai citizen AND an Australian citizen.
You can not enter Australia on an expired passport, even you can not.

So if you want her to enter Australia on her Thai passport, she needs a visa as she is arriving as a Thai citizen. If you want her to enter Australia on her Australian passport, she does not require a Visa as she is an Australian citizen like you.
Get her passport renewed. Easy
Or provide the correct documentation for her to be granted a Visa on her Thai passport.

She is a Thai citizen, her aussie passport has expired. why pay for 2 passports for a short journey.

"An Australian citizen cannot be granted a visa for Australia. "

Very clear it's not possible.

Patric

If price of a Australian passport is to much, then how do you afford plan ticks...... Im betting your daughter would love the ease of travel when she can, oh, and cost of tourist visa, would be more than passport itself... Meaning, you wasted money already for a failed application coffee1.gif

Tourist visa would probably cost more than obtaining a passport... Last time a mate brought his wife on a tourist visa, cost was around 300 AUD...

You might find if you could get a visa it would be close to half the cost of a AU passport, still got to lodge it, leave your car at home and take a nice relaxing bus ride in.

Also one day your daughter may thank you for getting her an AU passport....smile and look into the middle distance its nowhere as bad as you think it is.

If I understand the situation well, your daughter is Thai and Australian.

You don't lose your citizenship when your passport expires.