Few visitors as Erawan Shrine reopens under a cloud of fear

webfact

AFTERMATH
Few visitors as Erawan Shrine reopens under a cloud of fear

Pratch Rujivanarom
The Nation

30267025-01_big.jpg?1440018462919

Foreign tourists still have concerns about Bangkok security

BANGKOK: -- THE ERAWAN Shrine reopened yesterday after Monday's deadly bomb blast with only a few tourists visiting the site, even as 48 victims were still undergoing treatment at 11 hospitals around Bangkok, 12 of them in critical condition.

Of the critically injured, five are Thais and seven are foreigners.

The shrine had suffered moderate damage from the blast, but was reopened to the public yesterday after extensive cleaning. Only a few visitors were seen at the once-bustling tourist destination, amid fears about security in the capital city.

John, a tourist from New Zealand, stopped to take a photo of the blast scene in front of the shrine. Speaking to a reporter, he said he still had concerns about security in Bangkok.

"I admit that I am not sure about the security here, but I understand that such a sad event can occur anywhere. I come from New Zealand, which is quite a safe place, but even in my country there was a case of an attack on Greenpeace's Rainbow Warrior," he said.

The New Zealander, who heads to Chiang Mai today, still intends to visit Thailand again.

"I like this country," he said.

The shrine area was yesterday crowded with reporters and police. A Chinese tourist named Vivian was one of few visitors to the shrine.

"I feel shocked and sorry for the bloody attack here. Our family just arrived here from Chiang Mai and we wanted to see what happened here and pay our respects to the victims," Vivian said.

She said she still did not feel safe in Bangkok despite the presence of police and security officers around the Ratchaprasong area. She and her family plan to travel to Phuket in the next few days.

The attack not only claimed the lives of 20 people but also severely hit the economy of the district. Kumpa Yodsrimuang, a florist in front of the shrine, said her business was down 90 per cent after the incident.

"I am lucky that the florist stalls in front of the shrine were all closed on Monday, but the blast has seriously hurt us economically," Kumpa said.

"I have many debts to pay and there are many daily expenses. I don't know what to do in this situation. I am old now and I have sold flowers all my life, I can't change my job now."

She admitted having fears of another bomb blast, but she said selling flowers was her only means of earning a livelihood.

"I think the situation will recover in five or six months, as is usually the case after violence in the Ratchaprasong area, but until then my debts are going to increase," she said.

According to the National Council for Peace and Order, 68 bomb victims were being treated at hospitals around Bangkok.

The chief of Chulalongkorn Hospital's trauma department, Dr Rattaplee Pak-art, revealed that victims of the blast are gradually returning home, and there were only 15 patients left at the hospital yesterday.

"Four of the patients are still in critical condition, the most serious case being that of a victim who has to undergo brain surgery, as he has suffered brain damage. But I can assure everyone that we are putting all the resources we have to help him and every patient as much as we can," Rattaplee stated.

He said the patients and their relatives are all more hopeful now that the blast victims will get better soon.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Few-visitors-as-Erawan-Shrine-reopens-under-a-clou-30267025.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-20

I for one think the shrine should be closed for a while. Just for respect to all the victims and their familys.

But as usual money is more important here. bah.gif

It's very strange that it was reopened with such haste. Even more so when The BBC managed to find shrapnel and ball bearings at the site 2 days after the event ( since handed to police). The need to show a ' business as usual' approach needs to be balanced against respect for the victims.

I think you have to look at how important this shrine is for Thais and visitors, most Thais are happy they reopened quickly . But not good for the investigation.

I took these photos this morning thursday early morning around 5am. Right now this should be the safest public place in thailand with extensive security as security should have stepped up by many niches

20726382375_134c600e92_b.jpg

20538391178_0b024a4ae2_b.jpg

20103789424_9cfcbb5297_b.jpg

20733219721_b484c45d1f_b.jpg

20539647339_44cfa9110b_b.jpg

I bet even today I could walk through security with a big bunch of flowers containing another bomb and lay it in front of the statue and say a quick prayer and leave.....

Security is pretty shit here tbh

Anyone even half determined and creative could blow up nearly anything in the city and get away with it..

Even now the enhanced cctv might as well show 3 ghosts standing there before the bomb...

Better cctv in most 7/11s I would guess

I also bet i can put a bomb there in a bunch of flowers.

In my homecountry we have crazy reporters who would do it (with a fakebomb of course) just to show that it's still possible.

But those bombers will find another busy spot now of course and their target is tourists......

I went to Central World and Paragon with a backpack many times in the past. The security sometimes wanted to look inside my backpack but also many times not.

It would also be easy to drive a bombcar into those malls around Siam........i won't go there for a while.

I took these photos this morning thursday early morning around 5am. Right now this should be the safest public place in thailand with extensive security as security should have stepped up by many niches

20726382375_134c600e92_b.jpg

20538391178_0b024a4ae2_b.jpg

20103789424_9cfcbb5297_b.jpg

20733219721_b484c45d1f_b.jpg

20539647339_44cfa9110b_b.jpg

I bet even today I could walk through security with a big bunch of flowers containing another bomb and lay it in front of the statue and say a quick prayer and leave.....

Security is pretty shit here tbh

Anyone even half determined and creative could blow up nearly anything in the city and get away with it..

Even now the enhanced cctv might as well show 3 ghosts standing there before the bomb...

Better cctv in most 7/11s I would guess

Rest in Place.... I mean Peace. Or just RIP.