Entry on cancelled passport !

Hi Guys/Girls.

Hoping you can help me out here..

My situation is that i could not find my passport (moved to new apartment, and lost in in moving process), so went to my government and they gave me new passport, and cancelled the old one (not reported stolen or anything, only cancelled).

The problem is, i am travelling to Thailand in a few weeks, and have my visa in the old passport. Now after a few days fixing new apartment, i managed to locate the old (now cancelled) passport,

and were thinking if it will be a problem if i use it when i arrive tin Thailand, or do i need to go Thai embassy (300+ kilometer away!) to fix the visa/passport situation,moving everything to new passport...

I would really like to know, if Thailand will/can check in the airport if my passport is cancelled, ..

I would naturally bring the new passport, just in case, but would prefer to keep both in use as the "old" passport is less than 1 year old, might as well use it, if all is ok..Not like they give them for free..

Hope you have some input on this..

have a good day/night everyone ;-)

Hi UbonJoe

Thanks for your reply.

You think i need to show both, or i can just show cancelled passport with the visa ?

Will they see its been cancelled by my government ?..

Thinking there is not universal datbase they checking.. But i dont know..

Thanks,

What is your nationality.

Since you have time I would call or visit your embassy where you got your new passport to at least notify them your "lost" passport has been found as soon as possible.

Be prepared for some questions on arrival in Thailand as to why tour "lost" passport is still in your possession.

But more importantly is for you is to notify your government that your old passport has been found.

In some countries the security people take such a thing very seriously.... and once a 'lost" passport is on a security list of lost passports....the security people can be very touchy.

Security people are known for not having a sense of humor.

They are a suspicious lot by their training.

• Like 2

Just use both passports as said. Not unusual for someone to get a new passport even though a Thai visa in the cancelled passport is still valid. Quite a common event. Your permission to stay will be stamped in the new passport, but as long as the visa in the old passport remains valid, you must show both passports. You cannot just use the cancelled passport, because they will not enter current permission to stay in a cancelled passport.

Do no tamper with the old passport by cutting off edges as someone suggested.

• Like 2

Go there where you got your new passport.

Show them your lost/found old passport.

Tell them you want to keep for visa reasons=valid stamps.

Before they cut/punch mention that they should not damage valuable information which you must point at.

Edited by Khunangkaro

Before they cut/punch mention that they should not damage valuable information which you must point at.

In most countries you automatically keep expired or canceled passports. They are just marked as canceled or the corner of the cover is cut. It is unusual for other pages to be cut, apart from the ID page. YMMV
  • Like 1

Just use both passports as said. Not unusual for someone to get a new passport even though a Thai visa in the cancelled passport is still valid. Quite a common event. Your permission to stay will be stamped in the new passport, but as long as the visa in the old passport remains valid, you must show both passports. You cannot just use the cancelled passport, because they will not enter current permission to stay in a cancelled passport.

I think that you will find out that this is done to invalidate an old passport which is what was done to mine by Trendy when I was issued with a new passport it also stops passports getting into the wrong hands

Yes, just use both passports! I carry both (new one and cancelled one which has my OZ visa on), actually they were stapled together. So, give immigration your new one then show them your visa on old one.

In most countries you automatically keep expired or canceled passports. They are just marked as canceled or the corner of the cover is cut. It is unusual for other pages to be cut, apart from the ID page. YMMV

In most countries you are asked if you want the passport back, you do not automatically keep it.

You can get it back for visa extension stamps to go into new passports or just if you want it, but many people do not want them back.

When U.S. citizens get a new passport here in Chiang Mai, their old one is returned to them with a few holes punched in the cover. Serves as a reminder that is isn't valid anymore.

Is the OP definitely referring to a visa in his old passport and not an extension of stay? I know that visas aren't transferred from an old passport to a new -- that you just keep using both passports, but shouldn't an extension of stay be transferred?

Is the OP definitely referring to a visa in his old passport and not an extension of stay? I know that visas aren't transferred from an old passport to a new -- that you just keep using both passports, but shouldn't an extension of stay be transferred?

Yes an extension has to be transferred. But since so many people call extensions visas we don't really know what the OP has.

• Like 1