Thai editorial: To boost education, emphasize critical thinking over conformity

webfact

EDITORIAL
To boost education, emphasize critical thinking over conformity

PROPOSED STRUCTURAL REFORM OF THE SCHOOL SYSTEM WILL NOT ERADICATE CULTURAL BARRIERS TO LEARNING

BANGKOK: -- The National Reform Council (NRC) has submitted proposals to the government for a major overhaul of the country's education system. "If the government fully implements our proposed reform, the country will get efficient human resources," NRC member Prapapat Niyom vowed.

The plan would decentralise control over educational services by giving more responsibility to provincial and local authorities. A citizens' network would serve as a check-and-balance mechanism, monitoring services at all levels.

The proposal includes changes in funding, with budget allocated directly to educational institutes and students in a bid to make schooling accessible to all, in line with advances made in the public-health system.

Also recommended is an overhaul of the learning system so that it better meets the demands of the economy. Teachers would no longer be recruited on the basis of their exam results alone. The NRC also believes that the practice of transferring teachers outside their home regions should be scrapped so as to prevent lobbying and bribery for positions in preferred locations.

Finally, the plan calls for the establishment of a National Educational and Human Development Policy Board to formulate policies on human resources, direct reform efforts and advise ministers and Parliament.

It is not yet clear, however, what level of authority this board would enjoy. In the absence of real power to implement policy, it could end up toothless, its recommendations ignored.

All the proposed changes are structural in nature and do little to tackle existing social and cultural barriers that have long blocked improvements to the education system. Chief among these is the fact that students are taught to fol?low orders rather than thinking for themselves.

Here, the so-called 12 National Values, which promote order, conformity and respect for authority, warrant close scrutiny. The fact that the NRC has ignored the negative influence of these

"values" on the learning process is unfortunate and bodes ill for its efforts to upgrade our school regime.

The belief that Thai students lack essential intellectual curiosity is widespread. Ask business leaders - Thai or foreign - about the latest crop of graduates and the answer will more likely than not be a lament about their lack of creativity.

If we want the next generation of Thai workers to meet the challenges of the modern world, they must be instilled with the courage to ask |questions. Such freedom and curiosity are not only necessary to professional success, but they also foster liberal |values that form the basis of an |open and democratic society.

That ambition has been stymied over the years by government policy that focuses on conformity and order in our schools. The policy was in part dictated by the need to maintain control in schools where large class sizes are the norm. Limiting the number of students per class is something else the NRC might consider.

Bolstering students' critical thinking requires a shift in the mindset of those who make and implement education policy.

Properly qualified teachers and smaller classes are important, and so are curricula that encourage keen thinking. The system's focus on a mechanical process of cramming heads with knowledge just so that students can pass exams must end. For now we care only about information in bulk, forgetting that education should instil genuine understanding.

It's high time we changed this |attitude. The World Bank reported this year that one-third of 15-year-olds in Thailand are "functionally illiterate" - they lack the basic reading skills required to cope in the modern world. This means their chances of finding well-paid jobs are slim to non-existent. Meanwhile the poorly functioning education system is not producing the skilled labour necessary to boosting the country's productivity.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/To-boost-education-emphasise-critical-thinking-ove-30267102.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-21

The no fail issue must be addressed, as should curriculum content, teaching and assessment methodologies and - most importantly - teacher's actual teaching skills.

The traditional, hierarchical teacher-student relationship also needs to go.

It's going to take a very long time...

Yes the articles raises some correct issues especially having a shift in the mind set. This will be one of the hardest things to do. Getting students to multi task, learn intuitively. Changing the whole education process from the bottom all the way up. Start really wanting the children to learn and not follow everything that has been done in the past, especially as it has not worked. stop wasting too much time on history. Whilst it is important it should not take over the whole education system, as it does.

Now if the new proposal does this then I will be impressed. If it is another 'all talk' as it consistently has been then it is just wasted words, yet again. Using a variety of learning and teaching methods is essential and getting rid of the stand up the front, microphones teachers must go. I will wait and see what really happens before I jump for joy.coffee1.gif

Reforming the Thai education system is almost as daunting a task as ridding the police force of corruption. It would involve replacing almost every public school teacher over 30 years of age and re-training the rest on how to teach properly. Also scrapping many unnecessary parts of the curriculum such as marching, scouts and almost all rote learning including (dare I say) the "12 Values". What are the chances?

This is a very well written article which comprehensively covers the issues that are at the heart of education reform in Thailand. It us clear that many of the changes that need to be made are at odds with government policy, most notable the concept of the 12 national core values. How can critical analysis and conformity and respect for authority be truly compatible. This rhetoric has been going on for the last two decades and no real progress has been made. What underpins the resistance to change are the vested interests of a few at the expense of many. Sound familiar? The real concern now is the increasing reluctance of foreign investors to engage with Thailand because of the lack of good human capital along with systemic corruption. Thailand had better get used to being a country full of waiters and taxi drivers because tourism seems to be about the only thing left. Unfortunately, the events over the last few days are threatening the success of that sector as well. My apologies for such extreme pessimism so early in the morning but I've had a very close up look look at the school system from primary to tertiary level here over the last twenty years and it isn't pretty. It is so broken I'm not sure where one would start to fix it!

Critical thinking requires the student to question the teacher causing loss of face.

Never going to happen.

Bolstering students' critical thinking requires a shift in the mindset of those who make and implement education policy.

Looks like the arrest of 14 students and the attempt to teach them the "right" critical thinking via attitude adjustment did not work out that well.

IF.... just like everything else in Lack of Sanctions (LOS) will look into, will propose, bla bla bla... The govt. etc is ALWAYS crying WOLF..... No wonder most Thais are apathetic a/b almost everything. They've come to realize NOTHING CHANGES ... well except the level of corruption.... in Land of Scams (LOS) So "why bother"? Viewing Singapore vs Thailand in the last 50 years shows much.

If people actually began to use critical thinking here it would spell the end to the religion, and possibly other 'sacred' institutions... it would be a game changer. ... they aren't ready for that.

Indeed.

Why?

Has critical thinking spelled the end of religion in western countries? I would say no.

So why would it spell the end of Buddhism here in Thailand?

Recently my 32 year old adopted Thai son was awarded a special recognition medal from the daughter of the King. The award was for being the best teacher in Chiang Dao, Pai and Fang. He teaches Advanced Thai Language, and over the past 3 years his students have consistently won every award possible during competitions. His students love him, as do his superiors, although that wasn't the case at first. He teaches at a unique school in Arunothai, Chiang Dao which, while it has one building with a library and dining room, the class rooms are actually small rotundas set into the natural landscape of the school grounds. It's actually cool as hell. lol.

From the very start, he encouraged his students to ask questions. He would tell them that if they didn't understand something, then ask him and he would explain it to them. It took a while for them to accept this "new concept", but once they did, they started questioning ALL the teachers. It didn't take long before it caught on. The head administrator had a talk with my son and gave him the "we don't do that" routine, to which my son told him: "I do it that way. If you don't like it, there are other schools I can go to." Now they are begging him to stay, and not move back to a position here in Chiang Mai.

Now he, along with 7 of his fellow teachers at Arunothai, are all working on their Master's at the same university together, and they all have the same "agenda" - teach the students to THINK! I've had quite a few talks with him, and he admits that it's not going to be easy for them, but maybe the 8 of them, who will all be in Chiang Mai schools, can start something here that will eventually spread to others. When I pointed out that in going to a new school, he could meet opposition from his new bosses. He grinned and said: "Dad, I've got the daughter of the King behind me, so they aren't going to say shit!" Kid's got a point.

whistling.gif

if critical thinking became widespread in the entire Thai society, i.e. youth and students, it would no doubt benefit all of Thailand, the culture, the society, the economy...,

but,

critical thinking goes against the grain of all Thai institutions, the Government, the Sangha, the Corporations, even the M-word...,

because

"critical thinking" asks uncomfortable questions about competence, tradition, values and then it examines answers...

The Thai establishment is just horrified of that concept and can't reconcile that critical thinking can be about improvement through challenge, their tunnel vision only sees a perceived threat to their authority and no benefit for them. Status quo for ever.

Not if they want the current school generation to vote for them.

It seems they are already proceeding correctly for a political power

- the concepts of big hattedness to all students i.e. the junta is great, the junta is powerful, the junta is correct

- enforce the concepts of conformity by sending any students failing to pass conformity tests to attitude adjustment

- use current students that was arrested as examples of what happens in the case of non conformity or disagreeing with junta

- set up a system in which parents are penalised financially and sent to attitude adjustment if the students are unable to conform

- continue this till all students are of age to vote

then set up an undemocratic election in which 150 % of the population must vote for junta and anything else will be counted as spoiled

At least this way no sneaky reporters will be able to accuse them of not having been voted in

Edited by mmh8

Nice to see some critical Thai journalism. Much of it is spot on.
Especially the 12 core values will be under threat from critical thinking, which is why change will not happen the next couple of years.

Some of the very expensive private schools in Bangkok do allow critical thinking - you would probably also find a dedicated teacher here and there in the public system who allows critical thinking, but overall the system will not handle changes very well.

If the Ministry of Education truly wanted to make change, I feel very sorry for the people tasked with this, as I wouldn't know where to start. Which issue is the biggest? Is it "no fail" system, lack of qualified (and well paid) teachers, is it the curriculum, facilities and materials, etc.?

Not if they want the current school generation to vote for them.

It seems they are already proceeding correctly for a political power

- the concepts of big hattedness to all students i.e. the junta is great, the junta is powerful, the junta is correct

- enforce the concepts of conformity by sending any students failing to pass conformity tests to attitude adjustment

- use current students that was arrested as examples of what happens in the case of non conformity or disagreeing with junta

- set up a system in which parents are penalised financially and sent to attitude adjustment if the students are unable to conform

- continue this till all students are of age to vote

then set up an undemocratic election in which 150 % of the population must vote for junta and anything else will be counted as spoiled

At least this way no sneaky reporters will be able to accuse them of not having been voted in

Do you honestly know any students or schools that are actually teaching the "12 precepts" ?

My school has paid lip service to it. An announcement at an assembly when it was first revealed.

So a question for posters that have their kids/stepkids in a Thai school.

Do they actively teach the 12 precepts?

Critical thinking requires the student to question the teacher causing loss of face.

Never going to happen.

That really depends on the school. Some very good ones in BKK where students are actually encouraged to do so.

GOOD that you pointed that out... Alas! a few exceptions do not make a rule.

The 12 "values" revived as of late from their inception (as 12 Mandates) in 1938 by Field Marshall Plaek Pibhunsongkran, postulates conformity at all levels, Xenophobia, cult to personality and abeyance of all things government. Same same, no different.

If people actually began to use critical thinking here it would spell the end to the religion, and possibly other 'sacred' institutions... it would be a game changer. ... they aren't ready for that.

Indeed.

Why?

Has critical thinking spelled the end of religion in western countries? I would say no.

So why would it spell the end of Buddhism here in Thailand?

Not so much the end of Buddhism but perhaps the end of, or at least the questioning of, the current hierarchy system.

Recently my 32 year old adopted Thai son was awarded a special recognition medal from the daughter of the King. The award was for being the best teacher in Chiang Dao, Pai and Fang. He teaches Advanced Thai Language, and over the past 3 years his students have consistently won every award possible during competitions. His students love him, as do his superiors, although that wasn't the case at first. He teaches at a unique school in Arunothai, Chiang Dao which, while it has one building with a library and dining room, the class rooms are actually small rotundas set into the natural landscape of the school grounds. It's actually cool as hell. lol.

From the very start, he encouraged his students to ask questions. He would tell them that if they didn't understand something, then ask him and he would explain it to them. It took a while for them to accept this "new concept", but once they did, they started questioning ALL the teachers. It didn't take long before it caught on. The head administrator had a talk with my son and gave him the "we don't do that" routine, to which my son told him: "I do it that way. If you don't like it, there are other schools I can go to." Now they are begging him to stay, and not move back to a position here in Chiang Mai.

Now he, along with 7 of his fellow teachers at Arunothai, are all working on their Master's at the same university together, and they all have the same "agenda" - teach the students to THINK! I've had quite a few talks with him, and he admits that it's not going to be easy for them, but maybe the 8 of them, who will all be in Chiang Mai schools, can start something here that will eventually spread to others. When I pointed out that in going to a new school, he could meet opposition from his new bosses. He grinned and said: "Dad, I've got the daughter of the King behind me, so they aren't going to say shit!" Kid's got a point.

whistling.gif

You must be very proud of your son. Good luck to him, and all the best in what he is trying to do. With two sons aged 7 and 5, I have a vested interest in education.