Any shops selling records in Patts ?

stewmac68

There's a music/movie place in Central Shopping mall called Boomerang that has some records and can order from Amazon for you, only new stuff though. It's on the 3rd? (or 4th I'm not sure but it's the electronics floor) on the entrance to the car park

There's also an Audiophile shop called Piyanas on Pattaya Klang between Big C and Foodland

Anyone who really misses vinyl "quality" could always try playing the CD with the treble turned right down. For an even better effect, get someone to hit two sticks together at random intervals to simulate the scratches and clicks.

Personally I think that vinyl was rubbish, just like 78s.

I know it is not Patts but in Fortune in BKK on the second floor there was a shop that had vinyl (and heavy weight vinyl at that) and i was surprised by the selection. There was Mingus and Miles, lots of soul and real r'n b , lots of quality classic rock (to me anyway) . Maybe worth a trip unless that is not the genres you are after

Anyone who really misses vinyl "quality" could always try playing the CD with the treble turned right down. For an even better effect, get someone to hit two sticks together at random intervals to simulate the scratches and clicks.

Rubbish? Not according to audiophiles.

An audiophile is a person enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction. Audiophile values may be applied at all stages of music reproduction: the initial audio recording, the production process, and the playback, which is usually in a home setting.

You might want to read this...http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reasons-why-vinyl-better-digital/

Edited by giddyup

An audiophile is a person enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction. Audiophile values may be applied at all stages of music reproduction: the initial audio recording, the production process, and the playback, which is usually in a home setting.

You might want to read this...http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reasons-why-vinyl-better-digital/

By that definition I actually am an audiophile, having spent a lot of time and money over the years obtaining good sound quality at home (and having nearly joined the BBC as a sound engineer 3 decades ago). But I still dont like vinyl.

I note that the author of that website is actually comparing vinyl and mp3, and in that respect I agree with him. But I dont have any mp3s either. And I dont own any iThingies.

All my music is in FLAC at worst or SA-CD at best. Even the things I ripped myself from my very large vinyl collection before I disposed of it are in FLAC, and have been very carefully de-clicked and de-hissed by me, which thankfully does improve them. Most of my discs have been reissued in CD format which was a blessed relief, and the recordings that I have that have never been reissued in CD format are still an ongoing disappointment to me.

For what it's worth I dont like valve amplifiers either, which is another thing that some "audiophiles" harp on about. Old technology like that is just old as far as I'm concerned.

I do also miss the good old vinyl, never had scratches on mine, handled them with care. Used to have a gigantic collection back home (ex-DJ and shit)

But CD's came and I lowered my standards. Private collection, no more DJ, got older.

Then MP3 downloads came and I lowered my standards again. At least this standard is freely available.

What are you looking for ? I only know BKK .. There's zudrangma records in thong lo, which is Thai / reggae / global beats ..

Heres a good page on shops .. but to me, its all a bit same - all based on the Zudrangma model

Theres this place, the first place I found on the edge of Chinatown many years ago .. You can go crate digging in BKK, but its not really exciting.

I'm the same as the previous poster, ex-DJ, X000's+ records still back in my old mans loft .. I came here with vinyl stored on mini-disc until the first thunderstorm blew my player.

Living here you kind of re-assess, your "needs" .. is it the material volume of discs or what you do with it ? I now do some digital mixing, make my own edits, etc.

I get everything from digital DL these days, not to kosher but where else can I get rips of rare vinyl.

Edited by recom273

By that definition I actually am an audiophile, having spent a lot of time and money over the years obtaining good sound quality at home (and having nearly joined the BBC as a sound engineer 3 decades ago). But I still dont like vinyl.

I note that the author of that website is actually comparing vinyl and mp3, and in that respect I agree with him. But I dont have any mp3s either. And I dont own any iThingies.

All my music is in FLAC at worst or SA-CD at best. Even the things I ripped myself from my very large vinyl collection before I disposed of it are in FLAC, and have been very carefully de-clicked and de-hissed by me, which thankfully does improve them. Most of my discs have been reissued in CD format which was a blessed relief, and the recordings that I have that have never been reissued in CD format are still an ongoing disappointment to me.

For what it's worth I dont like valve amplifiers either, which is another thing that some "audiophiles" harp on about. Old technology like that is just old as far as I'm concerned.

Another issue with LPs in relation to classical music is just how much was issued in terms of versions and compositions, when CDs took over a lot of music disappeared from the catalogue It seems this trend has continued MP3s.

I believe the poster was asking about a business that sold them.

"Anyone" that plays CDs and criticises vinyl is entitled to their opinion Likewise, that opinion is sometimes considered as "rubbish" by lovers of the shellac discs.

Pristine vinyl and shellac resin records often lack the scratches and clicks often sited by those ignorant of that past technology. Modern ponograph equiment mis capable of filering out the less pristine sounds.

Did anyone actually call these "vinyls" back in the days when that's all we had. I never heard the description until many years after they had become obsolete. Back in the day we called them "records".

Don't be too hard on them. There was something magical about placing one on the spinning tray.

Edited by tropo

Did anyone actually call these "vinyls" back in the days when that's all we had. I never heard the description until many years after they had become obsolete. Back in the day we called them "records".

"LPs" and "33s" and "45s" I remember saying: not sure about the word vinyl.

Don't be too hard on them. There was something magical about placing one on the spinning tray.

Seems I lack a proper appreciation of magic as well as not enjoying clicks, pops, scratches, wow, flutter and hiss. I am sadder than I thought.

I believe the poster was asking about a business that sold them.

Indeed. That's why I made a suggestion in one reply, before making my comments about the quality of vinyl in a second one.

"Anyone" that plays CDs and criticises vinyl is entitled to their opinion Likewise, that opinion is sometimes considered as "rubbish" by lovers of the shellac discs.

Pristine vinyl and shellac resin records often lack the scratches and clicks often sited by those ignorant of that past technology. Modern ponograph equiment mis capable of filering out the less pristine sounds.

The technology is intrinsically poor quality due to its age. It's like comparing a propeller-driven open-cockpit biplane with a modern jet airliner. Or a 10 inch black and white 405 line CRT TV with a UHD OLED screen.

Seems I lack a proper appreciation of magic as well as not enjoying clicks, pops, scratches, wow, flutter and hiss. I am sadder than I thought.

Seems you've lost perspective. The "magic" was in the day that was all we had. Unless you were a time-traveler, there was no way to compare them with current technology.

There was something very special about placing a record on the turntable and dropping the stylus onto it. I never had a problem with "clicks, pops or scratches" as I was very careful not to scratch them. They were expensive and special.

Seems you've lost perspective. The "magic" was in the day that was all we had. Unless you were a time-traveler, there was no way to compare them with current technology.

There was something very special about placing a record on the turntable and dropping the stylus onto it. I never had a problem with "clicks, pops or scratches" as I was very careful not to scratch them. They were expensive and special.

There was also the magic of perusing the record cover, sometimes a work of art in itself, quite often with liner notes, something I've never bothered to do with a CD.

There was also the magic of perusing the record cover, sometimes a work of art in itself, quite often with liner notes, something I've never bothered to do with a CD.

Yes, I remember well.... a trip down memory lane... For me it was back in the 70's. Going to the record shop and spending hours looking over all the records was a pastime, before Internet replaced it. Those were the days when you bought records at full price that were many years old.... and you were proud of your record collection.

I also took a huge amount of care of my disks (music is and always has been my only real pastime), but I could still hear the background noises.

Indeed!

For second hand records try Vinyllica at Fortune Town, Bangkok. He has nice stock of second hand and some new LPs.

I don't think there is a record store in Pattaya. You can buy few new releases and re issues, but these re issues are almost always digitally mastered.

For ticks and pops.. not really an issue if record is kept away from mineral dust, and not abused. Good turntable helps too, and good cartridge keeps the noise low enough that you can hear the tape hiss of the recording, that means LP's noise floor is lower than analog tape machines used for mastering.

Here is my turntable, making a tape for a friend, who wanted all analog. No ticks no pops smile.png