When will tourists go back to Thailand?

webfact

When Will Tourists Go Back to Thailand?
Visitors have braved street protests, floods and coups in the past
Rina Chandran

(Bloomberg) A deadly bomb attack in Bangkok this week has raised a familiar question: How long before the tourists come back?

The explosion could have a longer-lasting impact on visitor numbers compared with previous incidents in the past decade, Standard & Poor's said.

And there have been many, many incidents in the past decade or so. From violent street protests to devastating floods to the coup last year, at every instance there have been cancellations and fewer tourist arrivals.

But the numbers have always bounced back quickly, with the draw of cheap street food, beautiful beaches, ancient temples and friendly locals winning each time.

Tourism is vital to the Thai economy. It accounts for about 10 percent of gross domestic product -- about 20 percent, including indirect effects, according to estimates by Australia & New Zealand Banking Group Ltd.

Full story: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-21/when-will-tourists-go-back-to-thailand-

-- BloombergBusiness 2015-08-21

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But the numbers have always bounced back quickly, with the draw of cheap street food, beautiful beaches, ancient temples and friendly locals winning each time.

Honestly there is only "street food" and "temples" left and that will not attract many tourists ...

Beaches are dirty and full of garbage and as the friendly locals go ... gigglem.gif

I arrived back yesterday at about 11:30. 50% of the immigration desks at Suvarnabhumi were unmanned and the only reason there was any queue at all was because the officers were being more thorough than usual for obvious reasons. Got to Hualampong and had no trouble booking a ticket down to Chumphon on the usually busy Butterworth train. Once again, the carriage was half empty. Something is definitely up...

Honestly there is only "street food" and "temples" left and that will not attract many tourists ...

Beaches are dirty and full of garbage and as the friendly locals go ... gigglem.gif

I would say terrible but cheap street food....holidays on the toilet....

beautiful beaches: there are still some....it is not that bad.

ancient temples: exotic temples but most are not ancient....Italy has ancient temples.

friendly locals: sometimes

Well it sure helps that the baht/euro is above 40 again.

About streetfood, i rarely buy streetfood because the stalls look dirty and mostly the vendors like to overcharge me. When i don't see the price i move on, can't be bothered to ask for the price anymore. Also i rarely walk on the streets because the vendors have taken over the sidewalks.

We buy food/fruit from the markets but only at our favorit stalls, those people are honest and won't cheat me. Also there's a lot of quality difference in Thai food.

Years ago i loved to eat pad thai, these days it isn't nice in any restaurant i tried it, even not on the street. Now they use some instant sauce to make it and we only get 2-3 small prawns with it. I would pay any price for a good old portion of real pad thai.

I also like to eat satay with peanut sauce but sure not from the streets. I have my favorit address for about everything and on the streets they all try to cheat me.

Bangkok has become expensive, very small portions or very low quality.

For my own holiday i don't stay in Thailand, there are better and cheaper places near. Taiwan is on my list now.

A little honesty folks - it's primarily a sex tourism market. Yeah, the street food and beaches bring in the backpackers, but it's the easy girls that draw the crowds.

The problem with Thailand's image is that the police force is inadequate to provide safety. Compounding this poor image is the fact that the police force can't solve any of the random attacks, political reprisal crimes and bombings. The more unsolved incidents that occur, the more damage will be done to tourism, because Thailand will be considered "an unsafe destination". When I first started coming to Thailand in the 90's, it was considered very safe, safer than the U.S. But, now you look at the carnage on the roads and in the streets, and it no longer should be considered a safe destination.

The ex-american expert above sees: "carnage on the roads and streets" and it's only "easy girls that draw the crowds"

Could you let us know where the carnage filled streets and roads that you walk down are located? Or do you puke up what you see on your idiot box television? How boring and unoriginal your conversations must be.

Where are the bars filled to the rim with these tourists looking for easy girls?

Do tell.

Edited by HLover

Bali seems to have done ok.

1 bombing (actually 2 like Thailand - one successful, but one not successful), prosecuted almost all involved guilty parties (although there were questionable sentences handed down), no political violence in Bali, no backlog of unsolved murders, political/business assassinations and political terrorist acts. Sorry, but your comparison is completely off base.

Edited by zaphod reborn

I guess it will become even worse. Too many issues in TH. In all the Years i lived here, it feels, nothing has improved. Beaches are more dirty then ever. Street carnage as well. Thais became lately impatient and in some kind aggressive. Prices go up while quality goes downhill. Criminal rate is raising. Unstable politics. Visa confusion. Scams against Tourists all over the place.

Then, Thailand wants to attract families to visit their country. Serious? It must be a nightmare for families to cross a street between dozens of dirty loud buses. Even the sidewalks are a shame and dangerous. The list goes on.

Some people speak about the upcoming High-Season. Forget it.

Many tourists lost their confidence in Thailand.

If Thailand wants crowds of Chinese Tourists, well go for it. But then, live with the consequences.

Edited by alocacoc

If Bali didn't have those very annoying salespeople it would have been the #1 holidaydestination of Asia.

It's much cheaper then Thailand and also the food is much better.

Carnage on the roads i see every day here in BKK. Dead body's, trucks upside down, wheels that broke of, dead soidogs along the roads smelling, motobikes upside down who drive with a baby on the arm and no helmets......

The most annoying is the ones who drive against traffic, even grandma's do it in our moobaan on their bicycles. Even when there is no sunshine at all on the left side of the road they still want to drive against traffic.

I agree that Thailand became popular because of the hookers and the beaches. The beaches are too hot, dirty, messy, taxi-maffia, no towells on the sand allowed, no beachguards, no police, annoying salespeople, annoying resortguests who claim all beachbeds, many russians, no english language, long distance buses who drive like morons and only stop at restaurants where all prices will be doubled.....No thank you Thailand, you 'll have to improve a lot first before they all come back. Oh and of course the jetski scammers.

The ex-american expert above sees: "carnage on the roads and streets" and it's only "easy girls that draw the crowds"

Could you let us know where the carnage filled streets and roads that you walk down are located? Or do you puke up what you see on your idiot box television? How boring and unoriginal your conversations must be.

Where are the bars filled to the rim with these tourists looking for easy girls?

Do tell.

Red shirt riots 2010 (my office was closed because the street outside was a war zone), Thailand 2nd highest country in the world for motor vehicle deaths. I don't have to go into the sex tourism thing. You're blind if you can't see that. Rest my case.

Singapore and Malaysia are very important markets. Families, couples, groups, solos...a weekend, a few days, sometimes longer, high % of repeat visitors, love shopping, eat a vast amount.They spend.

Walk the section of the skywalk between Central Chitlom back towards Siam vv and those are the accents heard. Plus some HK and Taiwanese.

Those are bread and butter markets that Thailand will struggle to maintain let alone grow.

1 bombing (actually 2 like Thailand - one successful, but one not successful), prosecuted almost all involved guilty parties (although there were questionable sentences handed down), no political violence in Bali, no backlog of unsolved murders, political/business assassinations and political terrorist acts. Sorry, but your comparison is completely off base.

Two bombings, 222 people killed. Yet their tourist numbers are healthy.

I think Thailand will be fine. People on this forum love to predict the death of the Thai tourist industry for some reason.

Tourism will be ok If TAT can keep it's yap shut and stop these stupid spins and slogans. As far as street food is concerned It all where you go. Yes the ladies might feel the pinch but that in time will lower asking price. I myself is here for the long run Just stay aware of my surrounding's as I always do no matter where I'm at. Actually less tourist can be a good thing too Less Chinese means less messed up toilets and laundry hanging on seat at departing gates, not to mention used diapers scattered about. So enjoy the peace and keep alert of your surrounding's and enjoy.

I am not convinced that tourism is "god's gift to Thailand".

Tourism business owners ( many of who are not Thai ) can make a killing.

but,many locals who work for them work long days 6-7 days a week to earn very little..

Lately, I have seen more Burmese, Lao and Cambodians working in the tourist industry than Thai people.

Most of the cheap" souvenir" trinkets are manufactured in other countries.

A large part of the tourist industry ( bar & girl businesses ) draws undesirable guest to the country who expect to misbehave and disrespect people and be thanked for it.

The scammers involved in the industry ( jet ski creeps for example) are no good for Thailand or it's image.

The low end tourist, like the Chinese tour groups of recent months, bring little money to the country, but plenty of rude, dirty, poorly behaved people.

The same can be said gfor the "backpack crowd"

Thailand does need a good economic development program that is good for the working people, but that is a subject for an entirely new thread.

I often think tourism does more harm than good in Thailand for the average person living here.

It is like prostituting the entire country.

Is it really worth it?

Selling "that smile" while living in poverty..

Edited by willyumiii

I think Thailand will be fine. People on this forum love to predict the death of the Thai tourist industry for some reason.

The Bali bombing was 13 years ago! It took a long time for their tourist industry to recover fully.

I disagree, many have booked and will come to Thailand in the coming high season, despite the troubles. The Thai baht is falling in value, so that will also make things more attractive. It's not called 'Teflon Thailand' for nothing, it always seems to bounce back !

Well, but I am sure it took Bali YEARS to go back to being okay.

This terrorist guy of the bombing of 4 days ago (and his accomplices ?) is still on the loose. The longer this goes on, the worse the economic effect will be !

The economic situation in many parts of the West is not that good; but the weak baht might still convince many to head for Thailand.

The Bali bombing was 13 years ago! It took a long time for their tourist industry to recover fully.

annual-bali-tourists-arrival.gif

I agree that the whole tourism industry needs a revamp. However almost any type of partnership fails. The various govt and private bodies that are involved with tourism compete with each other and working together, forget about it.

Do tell.

You never been to Phuket then ermm.gif

Red shirt riots 2010 (my office was closed because the street outside was a war zone), Thailand 2nd highest country in the world for motor vehicle deaths. I don't have to go into the sex tourism thing. You're blind if you can't see that. Rest my case.

No, no Red shirt riots , but army riots ;

Red shirts had only machetes and slingshots

If Bali didn't have those very annoying salespeople it would have been the #1 holidaydestination of Asia.

It's much cheaper then Thailand and also the food is much better.

Carnage on the roads i see every day here in BKK. Dead body's, trucks upside down, wheels that broke of, dead soidogs along the roads smelling, motobikes upside down who drive with a baby on the arm and no helmets......

The most annoying is the ones who drive against traffic, even grandma's do it in our moobaan on their bicycles. Even when there is no sunshine at all on the left side of the road they still want to drive against traffic.

I agree that Thailand became popular because of the hookers and the beaches. The beaches are too hot, dirty, messy, taxi-maffia, no towells on the sand allowed, no beachguards, no police, annoying salespeople, annoying resortguests who claim all beachbeds, many russians, no english language, long distance buses who drive like morons and only stop at restaurants where all prices will be doubled.....No thank you Thailand, you 'll have to improve a lot first before they all come back. Oh and of course the jetski scammers.

A hell a lot of dislikes and I even agree with many of them. But why are you in Thailand ?

A little honesty folks - it's primarily a sex tourism market. Yeah, the street food and beaches bring in the backpackers, but it's the easy girls that draw the crowds.

The problem with Thailand's image is that the police force is inadequate to provide safety. Compounding this poor image is the fact that the police force can't solve any of the random attacks, political reprisal crimes and bombings. The more unsolved incidents that occur, the more damage will be done to tourism, because Thailand will be considered "an unsafe destination". When I first started coming to Thailand in the 90's, it was considered very safe, safer than the U.S. But, now you look at the carnage on the roads and in the streets, and it no longer should be considered a safe destination.

I think that might have been more true 10-20 years ago, but not today. I've seen more and more couples visiting than ever before. Beer bar areas are getting smaller and smaller...or pushed back to places like Soi Buakow. Lots of backpackers, as always, but seems to be more mid-range couples and singles visiting also. Ignore a few red light districts, and Thailand has a lot to offer tourists like this.

Thailand has many problems today. Not sure if any will be resolved soon. The police force is a big one. Road fatalities is another.

wai2.gif