How safe are the Malls in Chiang mai

haybilly

OK, we are all aware that we don't 'Give In To Terror'--but, in TV members opinion--how safe is it to hang out in the Malls, and other high profile public spaces in Chiang mai? A lot of us have teenage children who seem to gravitate to these spaces at weekends, do you still allow them, or do you tell them to avoid these places?

I just wanted to gauge the general consensus.

I guess that I should just add that this is in view of recent developments in Bangkok.

Edited by haybilly

They've been screening customers entering the local malls for months, here, and years in BKK. I've avoided the Malls on weekends for years, except for the very functional KSK. I've avoided malls in the US for decades. Based on what I have seen in Southern Thailand, night markets would be a more likely and easier target.

It wasn't something that really concerned me, either--but, earlier today on 2 separate occasions, Thai people have said that, at the moment, these places were better avoided.

If your time's up, it's up. #27 bus, plane crash, bomb or whatever .... one can be alert and avoid potentially dangerous situations but no action will provide indemnity from random acts of terror.

We were in BKK last few days and felt totally safe except for crossing thru Sukhumvit traffic ... it's a big city. Same same CM and our airport and malls have far greater (pretense of) security than anything in BKK.

OP : I gotta tell you I am scared ... !! everyday I go into the mall and order a toasted fried chicken & lettuce sandwich ....

never really sure how the sandwich will turn out ... scary ! laugh.png

You need to change your diet Steven, all that fried chicken will make you fat.laugh.png

If you give in to terrorists, they have won.

Be aware of your surroundings, be aware of the people, know where the exits are. Other than that, live your life. Don't hide from it.

And also do look out for people leaving the bag or whatever behind and walk away return to them as soon as posible if you spot it , they will thk you very much.

I think the general consensus has been aired-- the fears of my local friends who gave a warning about visiting, or rather in fact letting our teens 'hang out' in the Malls, were totally unfounded.

I think that a Moderator can now close this Topic.

Yesterday morning going to Airport Plaza on Hang Dong road there were queues of cars that were being searched.

Carried around to the left to the other entrance and it was straight in. Once inside there were some entrances where security were checking bags and others where there there was no security. TIT

Perfectly safe, I visited Central Festival two days ago and Airport Plaza yesterday to do some banking, it's all business as usual and fairly crowded, folks shouldn't get too excited by it all.

While i agree we should not get excited, the fact you had an uneventful mall trip is meaningless, what would have been your advice if asked last week, "is it safe to visit Erawan shrine?" ...perfectly safe. ....anything can happen at any time, ... nothin' to do but chill and above all, stay lucky.

Perfectly safe, I visited Central Festival two days ago and Airport Plaza yesterday to do some banking, it's all business as usual and fairly crowded, folks shouldn't get too excited by it all.

While i agree we should not get excited, the fact you had an uneventful mall trip is meaningless, what would have been your advice if asked last week, "is it safe to visit Erawan shrine?" ...perfectly safe. ....anything can happen at any time, ... nothin' to do but chill and above all, stay lucky.

What a stupid thing to say, hindsight is always 100%.

good advice, 'stay lucky'. i'm off to Macau next week, and i'll keep that comment in mind. Seems terrorists are (somewhat) successful coz they are very unpredictable. Street corner, holy shrine, subway train, airplane, train station, shopping mall....... u name it. all are possible targets. so, stay lucky.

or go to where few people live.

There are soft targets everywhere.Years ago we had the New Years eve bombings in Bangkok and security was ramped up at shopping centres in a city of 10 million people then eased off as people moved onto another mindset.

Right now there would be a hundred people wandering through Worawot Market with a back pack,will it stop my wife and I going there ? no.

If you are scared to frequent places with high volume traffic stay home, there are no guarantees in life

Every country is on alert but despite vigilance these acts will continue

What a stupid thing to say, hindsight is always 100%.

rolleyes.gif ok, I will explain, nowhere is "perfectly safe" mean 100% my post was SIMPLY illustrating that tragedy strikes in the most mundane situations and while the probability is acceptably low, the possibility exists. I made no reference to hindsight.