Budget Car Tire for Wet Road

racyrick

I really like michelin pilot sport 3 for wet weather and have them on both of my cars. They have very deep and wide grooving. They are stable at freeway speeds in heavy rain, provided deep puddles are not on the road. I wouldn't skimp on tires, especially in the wet conditions we get here. I wouldn't call the michelin ps3 a budget tire though. They would be about 3500 each for the vios, at a guess.

We changed from the stock Bridgestones to Yokohama "Earth" on our VIOS. It changed the whole personality of the car. These tires inspire confidence in any weather.

Pretty sure the OP said "budget", nothing with the name Yokohama on it is "budget". OP check out these, good wet grip and cheap.

http://www.b-quik.com/en/tyre_search.php

Put in your tire size and have a look, the one I recommend if it is made in your size is Thunderer, but it may not be as it is a reasonable cost performance tire, but have a look anyway.

I really like michelin pilot sport 3 for wet weather and have them on both of my cars. They have very deep and wide grooving. They are stable at freeway speeds in heavy rain, provided deep puddles are not on the road. I wouldn't skimp on tires, especially in the wet conditions we get here. I wouldn't call the michelin ps3 a budget tire though. They would be about 3500 each for the vios, at a guess.

Again, Michelin is not a budget tire.

We changed from the stock Bridgestones to Yokohama "Earth" on our VIOS. It changed the whole personality of the car. These tires inspire confidence in any weather.

What was the price of the "Earth" tires?

Thanks

29something. Wasn't enough change from 12 grand to buy lunch.

The price for the Yokos fell in the middle of the Michelins (most expensive), Dunlop, Bridgestones and other good brands at B-Quik.

The Deestone, Roadstone and other cheapies were not considered. They may well be good tires and represent good value, but I've always preferred the Yokohamas and went with them.

They actually had less warranty - 40,000 km as opposed to 60,000 for the Bridgestones. Understandably because they are made of a softer compound that gives them better performance.

We went well past 40 on them before the treadwear indicators showed up. Just replaced them with another set of the same Yokohamas for about the same 12K in anticipation of the coming rainy season.

Your mileage may vary. 55555

Edited by bino

Pretty sure the OP said "budget", nothing with the name Yokohama on it is "budget". OP check out these, good wet grip and cheap.

Put in your tire size and have a look, the one I recommend if it is made in your size is Thunderer, but it may not be as it is a reasonable cost performance tire, but have a look anyway.

Thanks for the reply, but they are not available in my size.

That's true, but nobody should skimp on the only thing connecting one to the road. Especially in Thailand with all the idiots on the roads here. Aside from thunderer, Maxxis is another brand to look at that is a bit cheaper. Tyreplus have them.

What size do you want? This company stocks cheaper tires: http://www.sportmag100.com/sportmag/. 15 inch are considerably cheaper than 16/17inch.

Another option is to buy nearly new tires that have been traded in. You could probably but a new/nearly new set with alloys for 10000 baht.

What size do you want? This company stocks cheaper tires: http://www.sportmag100.com/sportmag/. 15 inch are considerably cheaper than 16/17inch.

Another option is to buy nearly new tires that have been traded in. You could probably but a new/nearly new set with alloys for 10000 baht.

My size is 185/60 R15

I don't find any Thunderer tires in this size

I do not know is MAXXIS is a good brand, but sells in big tire stores, and a set of 195/65/R15 in LAZADA is under 6700 THB.

I just got a quote for a set of Firestone, same size, for 9000 THB in a COCKPIT store

Edited by umbanda

That's true, but nobody should skimp on the only thing connecting one to the road. Especially in Thailand with all the idiots on the roads here. Aside from thunderer, Maxxis is another brand to look at that is a bit cheaper. Tyreplus have them.

Davis but skimping on price does not necessarily mean skimping on safety, that's the age old sales pitch they want you to buy into and so many do. I can and have personally vouched for the quality of the Thunderer brand as have a couple of other posters recently. As an example when Kumho first came to the state side market they too were thought of the same way you do by many and then they began competing on them and now they have a much higher quality point of view but are still a reasonably priced tire. Still that does not belie the fact that the OP is about "budget tires", it's the OP's choice in the end, not for us to criticize his reasoning. Maxxis is also a good alternative and yes OP it would be much easier if we had an idea of size?

Buying tires for my GTI recently (autobahn speed engineered car) and they call for Z rated tires when one will never see anything higher then an "S" rated tire speeds (not legally at least) and even that's extreme but they won't sell or mount them (lower then OEM rating, using the excuse of liability when the real truth is they want to sell you the most expensive and have an excuse to try to do so) because it deviates from the OEM, which is way over-rated for our speed limits as is even the S rated tire. There is also little to NO chance that if you exceed the max rating of a given tire, that the tire is instantly going to de-laminate or some other auto destruct mode instance either.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Davis but skimping on price does not necessarily mean skimping on safety, that's the age old sales pitch they want you to buy into and so many do. I can and have personally vouched for the quality of the Thunderer brand as have a couple of other posters recently. As an example when Kumho first came to the state side market they too were thought of the same way you do by many and then they began competing on them and now they have a much higher quality point of view but are still a reasonably priced tire. Still that does not belie the fact that the OP is about "budget tires", it's the OP's choice in the end, not for us to criticize his reasoning. Maxxis is also a good alternative and yes OP it would be much easier if we had an idea of size?

Buying tires for my GTI recently (autobahn speed engineered car) and they call for Z rated tires when one will never see anything higher then an "S" rated tire speeds (not legally at least) and even that's extreme but they won't sell or mount them (lower then OEM rating, using the excuse of liability when the real truth is they want to sell you the most expensive and have an excuse to try to do so) because it deviates from the OEM, which is way over-rated for our speed limits as is even the S rated tire. There is also little to NO chance that if you exceed the max rating of a given tire, that the tire is instantly going to de-laminate or some other auto destruct mode instance either.

Thanks for your reply. I agree with your opinion as well.

I did post my tire size above. 185/60R15

Bottom line as you have already figured out, I am just looking for the best value tire that is good on wet roads