World’s first anti-corruption coffee shop opened in Ubon Ratchathani

Lite Beer

World’s first anti-corruption coffee shop opened in Ubon Ratchathani

UBON RATCHATHANI, 22 August 2015 (NNT) – The NACC and the UNDP have opened the world’s first ‘Corruption Unwelcome’ coffee shop at Ubon Ratchathani University, the NACC President says.

The President of the National Anti-Corruption Commission, (NACC) Panthep Klanarongran, has officiated the opening of the 'Corruption Unwelcome' coffee shop at Ubon Ratchathani University with the aim to raise anti-corruption awareness among students.

According to the NACC President, this coffee shop is the upshot of the cooperation between the NACC, the United Nations Development Programme in Thailand (UNDP), True Coffee, Ubon Ratchathani University, along with anti-corruption organizations.

The coffee shop is positioned as a socially responsible business as well as the center of learning and exchange among college students in order to come up with anti-corruption and prevention measures in the Thai society.

Profits from the operation of this coffee shop will go toward supporting anti-corruption activities for students for the continuity and the endurance of students’ campaign.

Another 'Corruption Unwelcome' coffee shop is set to be opened at Khon Kaen University in September. It is to be opened in other universities in Thailand as well.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-08-22 footer_n.gif

Awareness? They are very aware that their country is a hotbed of corruption. RTP, Govt offices, school officials.

Whilst this may be true, it does not necessarily mean that they like it.

If this helps to raise awareness and show them that they are the next generation who can make a difference, then it is a very good thing.

Weeellll, I can completely understand. If I opened a coffee shop, it would certainly be the first and foremost part of my modus operandi to make sure that corruption was jolly well not there.

I would call all, from far and wide to come sip at the cup of my roasted blends, whist suckling at the teats of sages who had traversed the globe on their anti-corruption crusades, before reaching the end of their weary pilgrimage and bandying around their pearls of wisdom to all and sundry in my humble coffee shop.

we would drink bags of coffee - huge amounts - so much so that we could fund entire campaigns against corruption - and we would need no sleep - for the coffee would keep us awake endlessly.

We would not tire.

We would go latte, Americano, Espresso and occasionally Lapsang Suchong, - just to spice it up a bit.

And whilst we filled our anti - corruption tanks of the mind with the fruits of nature, we would fill the anti-corruption coffers with cash proceeds from the coffee sales, and teach the younglings the way of the future. The way of the pure and righteous shaman.

For verily = this is a good a noble plan. And we will not be thwarted on our mission, and we pooh-pooh the naysayers who protest that it cannot be done.

But could anyone lend me 20,000thb,, as we've run out of filters for the coffee machine, and the fridge is making that weird sound again....

Edited by eeworldwide

Awareness? They are very aware that their country is a hotbed of corruption. RTP, Govt offices, school officials.

Give it 6 months and then out of business no customers. Hmm well maybe not. If they do not have a lie detector at the door they should do OK.

If this helps to raise awareness and show them that they are the next generation who can make a difference, then it is a very good thing.

It's true to say "not necessarily", but generally people in Thailand enjoy the benefits of corruption. For example, every time someone pays a corrupt cop (all?) a back-hander, they are promoting and condoning corruption. Foreigners enjoy the same benefits too, by promoting the corrupt economy in many ways.

After the museum and the coffee shop, could we have the immigration office?

Hey Kitsune,

Here's an idea.

You open a straight-laced coffee shop on one side of an immigration office, and I'll open a straight-laced Go-go on the other side.

We can collect our thoughts in the mornings at your place & forget them at mine.

Cops won't do squat about noise, as we are ALWAYS told there are no zoning laws. If they don't like just move (it's what farangs are always told).

You could blare Frank Sinatra all morning 0200 to 1400 & I'll crank Led Zepplin 1400 - 0200 to get on peoples' nerves.

Nah.... wouldn't work.

We'd fit right in.

---------------

I do suppose that's one thing the BIB don't have to worry about when shaking down a bar, is wire-taps.

We've all been told the "No cameras in bars" thing was to Preserve The Image etc...

It's probably more to do with no evidence of the BIB shaking owners down.

Does anyone do things quietly anymore?

Pattaya karaoke bars - NO

Surin Funerals - NO

Surin Weddings - NO

Tuk-tuks anywhere - NO

Jet-skis - NO

Long-tail Boats....... Aww, HELL NO

The guy that rides by selling fruit - NO

That guy that rides by w/ a loudspeaker looking for used appliances 3 times a day, every day? - NO

The neighbor's yapping poodle - NO

The soidogs that bark at the poodle - NO

The BOOM, BOOM, BOOM trucks on Jomtien Beach - NO

------------------------------------

Get promoted in the RTA to full Colonel.........God that was one I tried my best to avoid. Friday afternoon & I just wanted to work. I got Shanghai'd into attendance though.

Johnny Walker was flowing out the wazoo & they at least had some coyote dancers to go with the 30 foot tall speakers.

I just got hammered & tried to smile. It's all anybody could do, including the man of honor.

It was painfully written on everybody's face that the music could probably be heard by the Man on The Moon.

My ears were ringing for a week!

Excellent, and the fact that they were able to open this in such a prominent location shows that Thailand has had enough of corruption and wants it to stop.

Oh, how I wish that was true, but unfortunately they haven't and they don't.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/440383-abac-poll-thai-people-can-accept-govt-corruption/

Agree, my Thai's son university in Bangkok was riddled with big open corruption, championed by the dean of the university.

In the 4years + my son studied there he attended / he organized many anti-corruption rallies and protests etc., and large numbers of the students attended.

I also recall a few times he mentioned that some of his uni buddies has shared they were ashamed of their parents who were continuously involved in corruption, some for huge amounts of money.

One of the protests ultimately managed to have a construction project stopped and the 2IC of the uni was charged with malfeasance, collusion and corruption and was dismissed.

i am not negative but ...i think it is an idea from somebody thai (cause no foreigner with clue would make a bar with that kind of argument..!!) to make some free publicity for his shop to make fast money...until people get fed up of it and change depending of the music and the atmosphere, corruption is not going to stop because some young fellows keep drinking beer or whatever listining to calabao or elvis presley.thats crap!

coffee1.gif