brushcutter problems

I call it a brushcutter. You might call it a wipper snipper.

Mine keeps on ceasing up. ie it will stop in the middle of a job and when I try to pull the cord its not possible / stuck. Does anyone know what causes this?

I suspect it could be the fuel. If you have one what type of fuel do you use and how much oil do you put in?

Many years I had one back home and Im a bit vague about the fuel tin but think it could have been 5 litre tin and I used to put in maybe 100mil (but unsure about this)

Now I have a large red 10 litre fuel container and I asked the guy at the repair shop about how much oil to add and he said 2 of the 500mil bottles that I had (see the pic). I was surprised and think that he is talking shit. It cant be that much oil. If you have knowledge of this please advise

many thanks

post-153811-0-57894700-1440419664_thumb.

Edited by ghworker2010

Ive found the el cheapo el crappo Thai watsadu unknown brand they sell will last ( if lucky) one whole day, at this point I dropped mine in the trash went out and bought a HONDA 4 stroke, never misses a beat, the two stroke ones are pretty crap here. Thai made Honda seem ok so far

Today the new bolt cropper I bought ( Thai made always a sign of crapness) snapped whilst trying to cut thru 4 mm steel, now when I say broke I mean the cutting blade fractured and snapped off like a biscuit would break. Its the second time Ive used it

A lot of stuff here is just junk!

PS sounds like its seized up maybe wrong oil mix, when it cools down it might un seize, save yourself a lot of hassle and drop it in the scrap bin

Off the top of my head I think its was 40-50/1 oil but its so long since I used a 2 stroke cutter I could be wrong

Oh yes the guy in the shop WAS talking crap.

Edited by kannot

Ive found the el cheapo el crappo Thai watsadu unknown brand they sell will last ( if lucky) one whole day, at this point I dropped mine in the trash went out and bought a HONDA 4 stroke, never misses a beat, the two stroke ones are pretty crap here. Thai made Honda seem ok so far

Today the new bolt cropper I bought ( Thai made always a sign of crapness) snapped whilst trying to cut thru 4 mm steel, now when I say broke I mean the cutting blade fractured and snapped off like a biscuit would break. Its the second time Ive used it

PS sounds like its seized up maybe wrong oil mix, when it cools down it might un seize, save yourself a lot of hassle and drop it in the scrap bin

Off the top of my head I think its was 40-50/1 oil but its so long since I used a 2 stroke cutter I could be wrong

Did you buy that 4 stroke in Thailand? The reason for asking is all the ones I've seen have the controls on the side bars and not on the shaft as it should be.

I call it a brushcutter. You might call it a wipper snipper.

Mine keeps on ceasing up. ie it will stop in the middle of a job and when I try to pull the cord its not possible / stuck. Does anyone know what causes this?

I suspect it could be the fuel. If you have one what type of fuel do you use and how much oil do you put in?

Many years I had one back home and Im a bit vague about the fuel tin but think it could have been 5 litre tin and I used to put in maybe 100mil (but unsure about this)

Now I have a large red 10 litre fuel container and I asked the guy at the repair shop about how much oil to add and he said 2 of the 500mil bottles that I had (see the pic). I was surprised and think that he is talking shit. It cant be that much oil. If you have knowledge of this please advise

many thanks

attachicon.gifbrushcutter.jpg

one cap (green one) of your 500ml 2T oil bottle for half liter of benzine or, if you prefer, 2 cap for a liter of benzine.

I had the same problem, I could not start the engine, could not pull the cord. Went to a repair shop, the guy open the engine and it was clogged with sticky grease like stuff all over the piston; the guy told me that I put too much oil.

Did you buy that 4 stroke in Thailand? The reason for asking is all the ones I've seen have the controls on the side bars and not on the shaft as it should be.

No this isnt mine its just a you tube video, mine are on the bars, I did bring in a Honda leaf blower form the Uk not sold here and a a honda hedgecutter also not sold here

I had exactly the experience that you describe, and I did what you did... bought a Honda 4 stroke which has been problem-free so far.

wouldn't be 2 stroke not better in almost everything?

less moving parts, lighter, less service....etc?

whipper sniper which is two stroke i use 25 mm of two stroke oil to one litre of unleaded fuel. Done this for the last 15 years and no problem. If im not using machine for a few months i make sure there is no fuel in carbie.

Have fun.

40:1 is normal after it's been run in, so 25 mL oil to 1 liter of fuel will see you right.

the mix is 50 to 1 for weedeaters

We have a 2-stroke Makita and the manual states 1:50.

A 900 ml fuel container was part of the package.

To make it scientific I recently bought a little glas measuring jug (10 Baht) for the oil.

My Thais had a good laugh about the pedantic farang biggrin.png

I recently had a problem with it (stopping again and again).

Stepson took it to some repair shop nearby.

Clogged fuel tube as I understood. 40 Baht.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Be aware that makers ratios differ according to the oil used. Most high end makers stipulate 50:1 as their oil is more refined. 25:1 should be the norm but get the facts first. Most end users do not know how to look after these simple machines. Look at the manual and stick to the oil the maker recommends.

1 part oil and 25 parts gasoline, octane 95

so for 10 liters gasoline that would be 0,4 liters of oil.

more oil will smother your sparkplug, less oil could jam your piston.

but.... stir well before use and use quality oil...

nah theyre crap plain n simple, noisier, dirtier . smellier ,crappier.............i think u get the gist here, service isnt hard, pour out old engine oil ,which is a tiny amount 150ml? pour in new, no oiled up plugs blah blah, 2 strokes r crap no wasting time mixing oil petrol etc

nah theyre crap plain n simple, noisier, dirtier . smellier ,crappier.............i think u get the gist here, service isnt hard, pour out old engine oil ,which is a tiny amount 150ml? pour in new, no oiled up plugs blah blah, 2 strokes r crap no wasting time mixing oil petrol etc

well yes noisier, dirtier, smellier, but more reliable, lighter, undestroyable. There are some without oil in the gasoline and direct injection which eliminates all disadvantages

But yes good 4 stroke are almost as good and not many (if any) companies produce good 2 stroke engines these days sad.png

So what does it help if there none.

I have a crappy 2 stroke from TW...I had nothing but problems.

Couldn't get it to run after using it a few days before.

Then it wouldn't start at all.

Had the carb replaced, it ran fine ....twice.

I had been draining the tank as advised every time I used it.

If I owned a sledge hammer I might have enjoyed using it on the cutter that day.

Last time I brought it to a different place where they changed a gasket and the new person said start it every day.

I've been doing that and it starts and runs fine. A pain in the butt, mind you.

I think I read that additives in gas clog 2 strokes, so maybe even if you drain them there is some residue. Don't know for sure.

I wanted to buy another one but was worried I was just going to get another piece of junk.

Good to know the 4 stroke Honda is reliable. It'll be my next purchase.

Knowing that, the TW cutter will probably work flawlessly for the next 15 years.?

well yes noisier, dirtier, smellier, but more reliable, lighter, undestroyable. There are some without oil in the gasoline and direct injection which eliminates all disadvantages

But yes good 4 stroke are almost as good and not many (if any) companies produce good 2 stroke engines these days sad.png

So what does it help if there none.

Not from my experiences, they dont work well as I said 1 day and it wouldnt start, I mixed the oil correctly, took it back to Thai watsadu, their highly trained staff ripped it apart, cut wires taped bit together with pvc tape and it ran for 1-2 mins then failed again, they sent it back to the factory they stuck a new carb on, it lasted half a day, I dropped it in the bin

2 stroke also uses more fuel, I was alive when 2 stroke bikes were the norm and Barry Sheene Kenny Roberts raced those wild things with their narrow power bands

How long will your 2 stroke piston rings last compared to a 4 stroke?

What no one has said yet, is what 2-stroke oil you use,now most of the fuel is gasohol ,2-stroke engines do not like gasohol, and cheap oil ,the fuel should be gasohol 95, with 91 the engine will not run clean ,and miss fire ,and if you can find it a fully synthetic 2- stroke oil use that ,this oil is about 240 Bart litre .

If you can find proper 91 octane petrol ,use that, it will help the engine run better

My strimmer is a Chinese thing ,takes some looking after ,main problem is with the carburettor ,the main jet gets clogged up with crap ,it will start but not run ,fuel starvation,,also not being used for a while ,needle sticks,fuel will not flow .

Will agree, if I ever buy another strimmer it will be a Honda, or a good quality 2-stroke.

Just for me, those things need to be 2 cycle. That's my chainsaw, leaf blower, trimmer, hedge clippers, etc. All of them.

I don't buy cheap tools ever. My "string trimmer - Weed Eater" is a Stihl I've had for about ten years without issue. I use only oil of a quality brand that's sold for 2 cycle mixing. Right now I have Stihl oil that comes in bottles sufficient for 1 gallon of gas. I buy it in six packs from the dealer.

2 cycle is so much lighter weight, maneuverable, and fast revving. For me, 4 cycle is for where more torque is needed such as a mower and where weight doesn't matter.

FWIW If I'm not going to use a machine for a few months I start it and let it run out of gas. Gas goes bad with time.

Cheers.

Just for me, those things need to be 2 cycle. That's my chainsaw, leaf blower, trimmer, hedge clippers, etc. All of them.

I don't buy cheap tools ever. My "string trimmer - Weed Eater" is a Stihl I've had for about ten years without issue. I use only oil of a quality brand that's sold for 2 cycle mixing. Right now I have Stihl oil that comes in bottles sufficient for 1 gallon of gas. I buy it in six packs from the dealer.

2 cycle is so much lighter weight, maneuverable, and fast revving. For me, 4 cycle is for where more torque is needed such as a mower and where weight doesn't matter.

FWIW If I'm not going to use a machine for a few months I start it and let it run out of gas. Gas goes bad with time.

Cheers.

Honda weighs 6.8 kilos stihl 6.2 what are u a man or a mousetongue.png

I checked with some local farmers which brand they use. ALL recommended Robin (of Japan). A bit pricey (about 10,000 THB) but lasts. All the Chinese and other cheap brands holds on for few months and go busted. On mine it says 20:1 while breaking in the engine (about 8 hours) and then 25:1. it came with a small mixing container. I don't use it on a daily basis, but when I do I usually run through 1-2 fuel tanks per use. So far so good (just under 1 year).

The main difference between 2/4 stroke engines is the that 2 strokes is more powerful and has a faster response. The main problem with 4 strokes is that if you forget to check the oil level (and the oil tank is tiny) and you don't have enough oil - you might kill the engine.

Cheers.

Honda weighs 6.8 kilos stihl 6.2 what are u a man or a mousetongue.png

Pass the cheese.coffee1.gif

Try taking the plug out and see if you can pull the starter cable. there should not be any compression and the piston should release.

I use 20ml of 2 stroke oil to 1 litre of 91 gasoline. Yesterday I put extra to 30ml and it was smoking so need to cut back.