Why don't Thais advocate for better wages and living conditions?

ev1lchris

It seems to me like Thais are okay with their position as the proletariat. It's rare to hear of anyone speaking up for better living conditions. They work for peanuts.

Has anyone in this country ever tried to unionize for better wages and working conditions? Or is that something the arrogant westerners do?

Peanuts by whose standards? to come to that conclusion you must be comparing to other economies/countries.

By "local" standards everything appears just fine, but as always people would be happy with a little more no matter where you go in the world.

***** Note: DO NOT make this discussion/topic turn Political or it will be CLOSED *****

It goes against their culture to question people they feel have more power or wealth. If you study history at all you will find the rich and powerful could kill their workers for any reason they saw fit and it was accepted no questions ask. The richer and the more power you had the less others could judge you. That is why life is so cheap here.

So even today in their culture the workers dare not challenge their employer. Its a work as told or starve no government agencies to run to to assist. And social climbing iis very difficult because of family. No matter what a person does the powers that be know where they started and what family they are from so moving up is very hard.

So those on the bottom are held there. If they donot ;like it to bad,nothing they can do about it. So they smile and get on with life.

Edited by lovelomsak

Well they definitely seem to be better off than westerners. I've never seen a Thai who dreamed to make it out of Thailand and go to the west, but I've seen plenty of westerners who dream of retiring in SEA. Thailand shouldn't be compared with the likes of Philippines, there is no real poverty here, I think they have it better off than us Europeans. A street vendor here might have a higher net worth than you, I've come across a lot of Thai's who own land which amounts to millions of baht. Should they call a strike at every single opportunity like the French? They've destroyed their auto industry because of this, Renault closed most of their plants in France and moved production to north africa and Turkey

Edited by Lukecan

Well they definitely seem to be better off than westerners. I've never seen a Thai who dreamed to make it out of Thailand and go to the west, but I've seen plenty of westerners who dream of retiring in SEA. Thailand shouldn't be compared with the likes of Philippines, there is no real poverty here, I think they have it better off than us Europeans. A street vendor here might have a higher net worth than you, I've come across a lot of Thai's who own land which amounts to millions of baht. Should they call a strike at every single opportunity like the French? They've destroyed their auto industry because of this, Renault closed most of their plants in France and moved production to north africa and Turkey

You've not lived then.

Large Thai Expat communities in many western countries ranging from the UK the USA,Germany,France to name a few.

40,000 alone in the UK.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thais_in_the_United_Kingdom

Edited by stoneyboy

You've not lived then.

Large Thai Expat communities in many western countries ranging from the UK the USA,Germany,France to name a few.

Thai expat communities in UK,US etc are peanuts compared to Korean, Filipino etc.

You've not lived then.

Thai expat communities in UK,US etc are peanuts compared to Korean, Filipino etc.

Really there are from a census in 2011 some 16000 Koreans in the UK.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koreans_in_the_United_Kingdom

Your making it up as you go along.

Edited by stoneyboy

You've not lived then.

Really there are from a census in 2011 some 16000 Koreans in the UK.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koreans_in_the_United_Kingdom

Your making it up as you go along.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Americans

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipino_American

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_American

Post removed and responses to it.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Gave it a chance but guess some just cant resist.

//CLOSED