Songthaew rolled over in Bang por.

shard of glass??? since when are windscreens not safety glass, or am i expecting too much here?

But if you put window tinting on the windscreen it will hold it together.

Windscreens always have a film between the layers..Sidewindows not, they are made of safetyglass which becomes a million unsharp pieces.

shard of glass??? since when are windscreens not safety glass, or am i expecting too much here?

I was just thinking the same thing-------- sorry Mr Reporter but you are wrong------- you cannot cut your throat with glass from a windscreen.However RIP to the driver,and try and do better next time to the Reportercoffee1.gif

You are wrong sir, i replaced several windscreens and they stay in one piece after being broken. In the Carglass company they go sit in the frontseats and push them out by their feet. Yes they are cracked totally and might even splinter but stay together.

From Samui Times

"The incident took place near Bang Por on the steep mountain road."

I saw this incident and it is obvious that the Samui Times reporter did not!

The accident happened about 1 KM before the hill to Nathon on flat road and near a slight left hand bend in the road.

Condolences to the young drivers family.

From Samui Times

"The incident took place near Bang Por on the steep mountain road."

I saw this incident and it is obvious that the Samui Times reporter did not!

The accident happened about 1 KM before the hill to Nathon on flat road and near a slight left hand bend in the road.

Condolences to the young drivers family.

What stopped you being the one to notify ST with your first hand account?

It is not a surprise when this kind of thing happens on Samui. Frankly, it is a surprise when it does not. There are no traffic laws that are enforced by the Toy Police there. People are more reckless than anyplace I have ever been in this lifetime. Everyone seems to be in a big hurry. The island has become about "the money", and the leisure vibe the island once had seems to have gone out the window. A friend of mine was mowed down by one of the notorious jungle ride drivers, and the guy did not even stop. He ended up in the hospital with a fractured skull. Was there any justice? My friend was told if he pursued it, he would be killed. That is Samui justice. The forgotten land of the lawless. Driving on Samui is taking your life in your hands.

The fatality rate on Samui is the highest in Thailand, and some say the highest per capita in the world. A friend of mine who works for Samui Rescue tells me up to two people a day die on the roads there. That is nearly 60 per month! On an island with just over 100,000 people on any given day.

dangerous area by the sounds of it I have never heard of an accident involving a baht bus before it must be a first a tragic accident RIP to the driver and the other victims.

Seen a baht bus accident in exactly the same spot a few years ago, only minor injuries.

It is not a surprise when this kind of thing happens on Samui. Frankly, it is a surprise when it does not. There are no traffic laws that are enforced by the Toy Police there. People are more reckless than anyplace I have ever been in this lifetime. Everyone seems to be in a big hurry. The island has become about "the money", and the leisure vibe the island once had seems to have gone out the window. A friend of mine was mowed down by one of the notorious jungle ride drivers, and the guy did not even stop. He ended up in the hospital with a fractured skull. Was there any justice? My friend was told if he pursued it, he would be killed. That is Samui justice. The forgotten land of the lawless. Driving on Samui is taking your life in your hands.

The fatality rate on Samui is the highest in Thailand, and some say the highest per capita in the world. A friend of mine who works for Samui Rescue tells me up to two people a day die on the roads there. That is nearly 60 per month! On an island with just over 100,000 people on any given day.

Just curious, but have you ever had anything good to say about any aspect of living here....?

Edited by evadgib

Just curious, but have you ever had anything good to say about any aspect of living here....?

Yes, a few things. I actually had several very good years on Samui. But, that does not mean I did not have a lot of complaints. The island is so poorly run, it is hard not to. But, I am very happy to say I now live on the mainland. Absolutely thrilled to have gotten out of Samui. It was time to move on. The mainland is so much more functional, and surprising progressive, in comparison to Samui, where it sometimes felt as if nothing was moving forward or improving. At least from my point of view.

Passed this sot this morning, intensive construction at that point with new drainage and the curve, lots of equipment and pre-fab drain pieces all over in that exact spot.

It wasn't on the hill, it was on the flat on the bend at the end of Bang Por beach just past Relax. A good 800m before the hill......

The picture sure shows the accident on a hill. How would he flip over on the flat? In which direction was the vehicle going?

Coming down from the hill?

Common misconception that windscreen glass does not cut you, I was thrown through a car windscreen (not wearing seatbelt my bad) I ended up with nearly 200 stitches in my face, so yes it does cut you so is possible.

You must have looked like Frankenstein afterwards !

Passed this sot this morning, intensive construction at that point with new drainage and the curve, lots of equipment and pre-fab drain pieces all over in that exact spot.

It wasn't on the hill, it was on the flat on the bend at the end of Bang Por beach just past Relax. A good 800m before the hill......

The picture sure shows the accident on a hill. How would he flip over on the flat? In which direction was the vehicle going?

Coming down from the hill?

You are obviously not familiar with the area and the location where the accident happened. It has been explained before that it did not happen on the actual hill, and why it looks like it happened on the hill. Just read all previous comments.