Safe Interesting Places For Holidaying Single Female

My sister is coming from UK for a holiday and will be staying with my wife and I for a couple of weeks in October.

We have a rice business on the outskirts of Bangkok not too far from Suvarnabhumi airport and not exactly in the middle of any tourist attraction areas. Our business is open around 12 hours a day, 7 days a week which leaves very little time for me to play the good brother and host.

This will be the third time she has visited us here and although she enjoys just chilling and relaxing with us she would like to see a bit more of Thailand than on the previous trips and is happy to do a bit of traveling by herself but is not too sure where would be friendly and safe locations for a woman on her own.

Although I have been in Thailand for a few years I have never really got into the tourist type of thing or done much traveling apart from to Pattaya and Nakhon Sawan (Wife’s home province) and as such have limited personal knowledge of where to go. Together, we have done a few of the sights in Bangkok previously but have not been much further afield.

Can any of the members recommend any places they feel would be a good getaway for a few days for a single female?

Obviously it is a very open question so a little background is most likely in order. She is: 65 years old but is very fit, in good health and looks 10 to 15 years younger than she actually is. She has travelled quite a lot and has common sense enough to avoid the obvious pitfalls of ambling down a dark soi etc. She enjoys the beach but equally enjoys walking and sightseeing. She is friendly, intelligent, enjoys good food and a drink and a laugh in good company. And definitely can’t stand bull####.

Obviously as her brother that may come over as a bit biased but it is about as close to the truth as I can get.

We are not looking for miracles but any sensible suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

I can't think of anywhere that WOULDN'T be safe for her, or at least as safe as anywhere else.

As long as she uses common sense, doesn't go anywhere obviously dodgy, doesn't wander off on dark beaches alone, doesn't drink with all male groups and doesn't get drunk anywhere she should be OK.

If worried she could go on a tour.

I can't think of anywhere that WOULDN'T be safe for her, or at least as safe as anywhere else.

As long as she uses common sense, doesn't go anywhere obviously dodgy, doesn't wander off on dark beaches alone, doesn't drink with all male groups and doesn't get drunk anywhere she should be OK.

I agree, but put yourself in her shoes. What with some of the negative press that Thailand has had in recent times it is always nice to get some reassurance and personal recommendations rather than take pot luck.

I agree, but put yourself in her shoes. What with some of the negative press that Thailand has had in recent times it is always nice to get some reassurance and personal recommendations rather than take pot luck.

I had put together a programme for a couple of friends who came to visit for a couple of weeks in February.

PM me your email address and I will send it to you

I enjoyed Sukhothai up country very much. Peaceful and beautiful. Little town with not much action but a decent amount of food choices. Lodging is cheap. easy <6 hour bus ride with a stop for lunch along the way. Very scenic looking out the window. I mean, who doesn't appreciate seeing a few water buffalo wading in a rice paddy! The ruins really are pretty with little lagoons and moats and lots of green and the hills in the background. Beach-wise, Hua Hin would be an easy trip. The island of Ko Samet is also very nice. I happened to have been there during the tsunami. Nice little bungalows, clean beaches, nice barbecues by the hotels at night as you walk along the beach. We did a fun little 1/2 day snorkel trip around the island. Dove in 2 or 3 spots, I can't recall exactly now. I personally want to visit Ko Chang. Karon beach at Phuket is great. not much trouble there, and of course could always do a side trip up to Patong if a Mall and more night life is desired.

Bangkok Dusit Zoo is a fine day trip. Pretty lagoon, paddleboats, some water and a nice place to walk around. Maybe a visit to the National Museum with the Guided English tours would be up her ally? check for hours and days because it is closed a lot. And of course pick a temple, Wat Po was my favorite. Grand Palace of course probably worth a visit. decent boat ride down the river, but I thought the prices and times were too touristy.

I would definitely say hua hin as it's only a couple of hours drive from bangers cool.png

but the OP asked for interesting places

I would say the same, HH or Cha am, easy for her to get to and believe it or not plenty to do. Beaches are OK,, food, shopping etc. Just a few things she could see/do, Plearnwan, Kings residence ( present and previous), floating market, elephant shows, night markets, monkey mountain, temples galore, River kwae is a good day trip, national parks, bat caves, tiger zoo...the list is endless.

She could catch a train to visit Hua Hin ... or Ayutteeya 2 1/2hrs from Bangkok ( elephants & temples ) or Sukhothai .. nice area.

Ayutthaya 2 1/2 hours from Bangkok? Did you walk there or something?

But yeah, I'd recommend it as a place to visit. She can hire a bike and potter around the temples.

Also, Prachuap Khiri Khan is nice for a couple of days if you want to go to the seaside but don't want to visit an overdeveloped, farang-style resort.

Well I lived and live in the outskirt of Bangkok and as male I wouldn't go out after it gets dark. My parents got followed by a bad guy and could only narrow escape. Our homemaid (and she is not the innocent) got robbed. Lots of narcotic guys and drunks in the night.

Hi:

Bangkok has changed over the past 10 years. It is more tourist-friendly, with more things to do.

Has been the "Top City To Visit" for several years by MasterCard, and other travel companies.

The best guide I know to Bangkok is:

http://migrationology.com/ebook-101-things-to-do-in-bangkok/

It is a $9 PDF book. Well worth it....

Have a great holiday...

Well I lived and live in the outskirt of Bangkok and as male I wouldn't go out after it gets dark. My parents got followed by a bad guy and could only narrow escape. Our homemaid (and she is not the innocent) got robbed. Lots of narcotic guys and drunks in the night.

I think your correct. To say everywhere is safe is not true ...

It is not safe to walk alone in the back soi's of most small villages ... and especially a woman.

With two people together it is safer and would not attract a robbers attention as much as being alone.

There are many drunks and desperate's in most small villages that even the most street savvy wouldn't feel safe. But most ' in town ' areas are quite safe to walk around and see the sights.

Prob already been suggested above but splen suggested koh Chang. Good idea.

My tgf favourite place in Koh Samed....nice little island. If you want PM me for a hotel right on beach.

Depending how long she has. She could get bus to jometien then bus or private taxi to koh samed then further on to koh Chang.

Hua Hin in a place I like. Other side nice joint.

Your sister is coming and you can't make time for her?

Put her in a downtown hotel. Siam Square is a nice area.

Thanks for the kind input but unfortunately the reply does not quite match with the request. However, for future reference I will file it in a folder labeled "Crass Comments"

Your sister is coming and you can't make time for her?

Put her in a downtown hotel. Siam Square is a nice area.

Thanks for the kind input but unfortunately the reply does not quite match with the request. However, for future reference I will file it in a folder labeled "Crass Comments"

No need to get all defensive and whatnot. I think you sister will have a good time at a nice hotel around Siam Square, and you guys can take the train in to see her.

When my sister came, I put her at the Novotel Siam Square and she loved it. Whatever.

Edited by mogandave

Ancient City near you for a day trip. Second Sukotha as a place to goi,a friend similar to your sister enjoyed that. Luang Prabang is lovely, not sure if the boat is a good idea, check comments on line about it's comfort and safety. Lots of scams here, good to go over some of them with her if she is going off by herself. Do you have a Thai friend that could be a guide, like a niece?

Edited by islandguy

Just want to say a big thanks to all who have given some great suggestions here. I have emailed my sis this web address so she can check it all out and make her own decisions on what feels right for her.

To the one or two who feel I am not making time for family I would say that before you comment negatively you should be aware of the facts of my personal situation, of which you know very little.

Again, big thanks for the ideas.

Koh Chang is decent , quiet and cheap , some very nice hotels Chang Buri resort is reasonable priced and has a lovely beach side pool

I would agree 100% Koh Chang. The beaches up in White Sands. Are always busy in the evenings with out door barbecues and Fire dances.