Gov: “No changes to Phuket beach management system”

Lite Beer

Gov: “No changes to Phuket beach management system”
Saroj Kueprasertkij

1440760607_1-org.jpg

No changes have been made to the beach management rules so no vendors are allowed.

PHUKET: Although the study into Phuket Governor Nisit Jansomwongʼs beach management system is complete and has been handed over to the relevant officials, no decision has yet been made on any changes that could be made.

Speaking to The Phuket News today (August 28), Gov Nisit said, “I have not made any changes to any rules regarding the beach management system.

“Yesterday (August 27) I received the study from Prince of Songkhla University in Phuket (PSU). However, it is not just me who needs to see their findings. It needs to be discussed in a meeting.

“As for now everything still remains the same and the same rules apply.”

In addition, Vice Governor Suthee Thongyam said, “The beach management system is still the same. The 10 per cent rule still applies.

“We have received the study but have not changed anything. It will take time to consider the study and if changes are made they must not go against the law.”

Meanwhile, Jakkarin Jareujit a representative of the Patong Beach Vendors Club told The Phuket News today that a meeting was held with Gov Nisit at the Governorʼs House yesterday.

“We came to meet with the governor to find the best solutions for beach management for the coming high season. A member of staff from PSU handed their report into their findings of their study of the beach management system today.

“However, the governor will take some time to study the report and another meeting will be held again soon,” he said.

Mr Jakkarin also said that he would like the governor to understand the problems the beach vendors have faced during the past year.

“We are suffering from the beach management measure. Many of our beach vendor family have been affected. I heard so many tourists complain about how uncomfortable they were on the beach and said that next year they will not come back,” he said.

Mr Jakkarin was also at a meeting held last Friday (August 21) at Kathu municipality with V/Gov Suthee who some time ago asked the Kamala beach vendors to set up a beach vendor co-op to handle the beach management.

“But up until now the Kamala beach vendors have still not done this. So the vice governor said that if they cannot form their group by October 1 they will not be allowed to do any business on the beach again,” Mr Jakkarin said.

Supaluk Kantangkul, a representative for the Kamala beach vendors who was also in attendance at yesterdayʼs meeting with Gov Nisit confirmed that the Kamala beach vendors are now ready to set up their co-op.

“Now all the documents have been prepared. We have about 49 vendors at the moment. We will hand all documents to Kathu and Kamala OrBorTors on Tuesday (September 1),” she confirmed.

It is part of the governorʼs policy that co-ops be set up for vendors wanting to sell on the beaches. All beach vendors in Phuket must setup their beach vendor co-op to represent themselves in order to comply with the beach management system.

Additional reporting by Tanyaluk Sakoot

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/gov-%E2%80%9Cno-changes-to-phuket-beach-management-system%E2%80%9D-53864.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-08-28

If you read the report in the Gazette, it is different than the above report. According to the Gazette, the 10% rule still applies, but allows anyone to bring their own chairs and set up in the "10 percent zone" and it's confirmed ( Phuketwan also says the same as the Gazette). What I don't understand is the co-op nonsense. Co-ops are what has led to no competition amongst vendors whether they are selling tuk tuk rides or offering beach chairs.

If you read the report in the Gazette, it is different than the above report. According to the Gazette, the 10% rule still applies, but allows anyone to bring their own chairs and set up in the "10 percent zone" and it's confirmed ( Phuketwan also says the same as the Gazette). What I don't understand is the co-op nonsense. Co-ops are what has led to no competition amongst vendors whether they are selling tuk tuk rides or offering beach chairs.

Competition? Wash your mouth out. That is considered a 4 letter word here. Dont you dare say it ever again.

I still don't understand fully. I thought you were allowed to bring your own chair and umbrella

anywhere on the beach (no commercial exchange, nobody making money). Steelepulse

indicates you still have to set this up in the commercial 10% zone. Will the operators

of the 10% zone let you set up there? blink.png

I still don't understand fully. I thought you were allowed to bring your own chair and umbrella

anywhere on the beach (no commercial exchange, nobody making money). Steelepulse

indicates you still have to set this up in the commercial 10% zone. Will the operators

of the 10% zone let you set up there? blink.png

the 10% 'zone' is a confusing rule. I looked at the notice boards at Kata beach, not so clear, but seems to indicate a 10% zone for commercial chairs and another zone for bring your own.

How about letting us overseas tourists rent a chair from a vendor with an outlet on the Landward side of the road opposite the beach ?

Let us say we will rent chair number 48 and expect to stay 4 yours so at that time the vendor comes back to collect the chair and return to hi shop or collects a fee for an extension of time. Suggest the cost could be 10 baht per hour with a minimum of four hours ?

How about letting us overseas tourists rent a chair from a vendor with an outlet on the Landward side of the road opposite the beach ?

Let us say we will rent chair number 48 and expect to stay 4 hours so at that time the vendor comes back to collect the chair and return to his shop or collects a fee for an extension of time. Suggest the cost could be 10 baht per hour with a minimum of four hours ?

Apologies for the bad spelling in my original.

C

Let us say we will rent chair number 48 and expect to stay 4 yours so at that time the vendor comes back to collect the chair and return to hi shop or collects a fee for an extension of time. Suggest the cost could be 10 baht per hour with a minimum of four hours ?

There's no way that beach vendors would rent a "shop".

In Patong, for example, I would expect that the vendor "outlets" would be pickups parked in the few remaining parking spaces that aren't already occupied by the car and motorbike rental guys. No parking spaces left for anyone wanting to drive to the beach and park their vehicle.

"Jakkarin Jareujit a representative of the Patong Beach Vendors Club" - it's your "Club" that has cause the problem in the first place.

"I heard so many tourists complain about how uncomfortable they were on the beach and said that next year they will not come back,” he said." - there are many reasons, caused by many "Associations" and many "Clubs" for why these tourists will not be coming back to Phuket next year.

Doesn't a co op equal collusion and price fixing? In most countries a formation of a non competitive entity that sets their own pricing for their own benefit would be considered illegal. Not in Phuket. Exactly we do these illegal beach vendors need to be in a co op as it's certainly not involving following the law and being held accountable for anything.