Do you have the right to be safe in Thailand?

NoshowJones

Well, do you? Just because you are a Foreigner in Thailand, if someone is putting your life or wellbeing at risk unnecessary on the pavement or on the road, should you take the

attitude that it is their country and you should just accept it?

Or should you complain to your friends, or post on Thaivisa what you think about it? I think everyone has the right to be safe anywhere they go whether it's in their own country, or

any other country.

There was one idiot poster who said that I am a guest in this country, and that if I cannot accept the unnecessary dangers we face walking on the pavement or driving on the road, then I

should go back to my own country.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think its up to you to take care of your own security,and safety

and not rely on other to provide it,as you will be disappointed.

You always need to be aware what is going on around,not paranoid,but

careful,stupid people do stupid things and pay for it with the terrible things

that could happen to them,murder,raped,mugged,conned,the World we

live in today is not a safe place.

I have been to some of the most dangerous places and countries,like

Columbia,Jamaica,Mexico,PNG,Nigeria,and some parts of the U.S.A.

and have never had a serious problem,so Thailand is pretty safe i

think,unless you flash rolls of cash,wander around drunk in the middle

of the night,and most importantly don't ,look right and left before crossing the road.

regards Worgeordie

I would think its up to you to take care of your own security,and safety

and not rely on other to provide it,as you will be disappointed.

You always need to be aware what is going on around,not paranoid,but

careful,stupid people do stupid things and pay for it with the terrible things

that could happen to them,murder,raped,mugged,conned,the World we

live in today is not a safe place.

I have been to some of the most dangerous places and countries,like

Columbia,Jamaica,Mexico,PNG,Nigeria,and some parts of the U.S.A.

and have never had a serious problem,so Thailand is pretty safe i

think,unless you flash rolls of cash,wander around drunk in the middle

of the night,and most importantly don't ,look right and left before crossing the road.

regards Worgeordie

Excellent post Worgeordie, I agree Thailand is very safe apart from most of the drivers and motorbike riders.

Things like traffic conventions are cultural, and maybe what others are getting at is that there is no realistic way of changing this; certainly not by getting worked up about it. Learn the system that is in operation (undocumented though it is), and try to incorporate it

No, there is no way we are going to change anything, and I don't expect to, but surely no one can condone the dreadful road fatalities, there

is nothing wrong with talking about it or having discussions about it on Thaivisa or elsewhere.

Things like traffic conventions are cultural, and maybe what others are getting at is that there is no realistic way of changing this; certainly not by getting worked up about it. Learn the system that is in operation (undocumented though it is), and try to incorporate it

No, there is no way we are going to change anything, and I don't expect to, but surely no one can condone the dreadful road fatalities, there

is nothing wrong with talking about it or having discussions about it on Thaivisa or elsewhere.

You have every right to protect yourself from danger, the easiest way to exercise that right is to adapt, if you cannot adapt.........there is a saying.... 'cry on the way in and cry on the way out'

If you think your safety/ rights are in a shortage, try Saudi, where indicators are used in asserting right of way, changing lanes on a roundabout is normal procedure and fog lights are used to move people out of lanes. If you cannot adapt to the defensive/ preventative driving, you'll soon find an accident and regardless of the circumstances, you then have to sign a police report with your name documented as a 'faulty driver'.

I feel very safe when I drive in Thailand by comparison.

Nothing wrong with talking about it either.....or venting.

whistling.gif No

You never have the "right" to be safe, it's just an illusion.

Not anywhere in the world.

No matter where you are in the world, the best you can hope for is a reasonable chance that tomorrow won't be your last day.

I'm sorry if you haven't figured that out yet.... I've been around for 68 years now....will be 69 years in October... and I can recall 5 times when with slightly different events I could have died then....but obviously I didn't.

I mean I've actually seen others die, but so far I've been lucky, I guess.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

whistling.gif No

No matter where you are in the world, the best you can hope for is a reasonable chance that tomorrow won't be your last day.

I'm sorry if you haven't figured that out yet.... I've been around for 68 years now....will be 69 years in October... and I can recall 5 times when with slightly different events I could have died then....but obviously I didn't.

Yes, I agree with you, the way that you put it does make sense, but can you blame anybody who feels angry when having almost being knocked off your bike by a ten year

old riding a motorbike?

Well put ....In my youth I found myself in frequent arguments with people because I expected them to adapt to my way of thinking....it took lots of "soul searching" to understand that this was nothing less than my Ego at work. I see now that if I want to get along in peace and comfort in this life it is up to me to adapt, to fit in, with the circumstances around me, not up to others to change to suit me.

I'm slightly confused about the way you asked your question...I thought at first you meant.....should one accept the bad driving....or should one try and do something about it. But on re-reading it I think that is not what you meant. In actual fact, you are just asking is it ok to chat (or talk) about it and I say... Why not, if you feel that relieves the stress a little bit ....fire away. After all, we on here should be pulling together and supporting each other when it comes to handling situations that some of us might find stressful (a lot of us in this example I would imagine)....not bashing each other just for mentioning it.

Do you think it is safe in Afghanistan right now? Or Libya? How about walking the streets of Lagos by yourself around Midnight?

You complaints aren't going to change thing.

Your friend is right. If you feel unsafe here you should move to where you do feel safe. It is easier to change your surroundings than all the people who live in your surroundings.

whistling.gif No

Yes, I agree with you, the way that you put it does make sense, but can you blame anybody who feels angry when having almost being knocked off your bike by a ten year

old riding a motorbike?

But this is Thailand if you werent here that wouldnt of happened falang.

Bit like freedom of speech we should all have that right some don't and never will but safety is your own responsibility one can never be 100% safe not even tucked up in your bed behind locked doors nowadays but with a bit of pre planning you can be as safe as you can be. Pre planning doesn't mean full on security checking for bombs and full surveillance. But if your going out for a drink or three make sure you have a safe way of getting home or if you know a certain area is not good after a certain time don't go there even if the beer makes you feel invincible. As for the right to feel safe in Thailand Yes you have the same right as a Thai National no more no less. We all have the right to have a good drip session (moan) and for someone to say your a foreigner put up with it is aload of tosh. if you break the laws of the country then you take the punishment of the country then you have to put up with it your choice your consequences.

Edited by Sutty

That's not a right. You do have the burden of providing your own common sense and or street smarts.

Your not in Kansas anymore. Thailand will provide food, health care and whatever else your willing to pay for.

whistling.gif No

old riding a motorbike?

But this is Thailand if you werent here that wouldnt of happened falang.

You should thank the the Farang for being here and saving a Thai then!

You do not have the "right" to "be safe" (in quotes because they are nebulous terms), anywhere.

You have the responsibility to put yourself in situations where you are comfortable, and ensure your own safety.

and how do you ensure your safety when motorbikes are coming up behind you when you are walking along the pavement?

Do you think it is safe in Afghanistan right now? Or Libya? How about walking the streets of Lagos by yourself around Midnight?

You complaints aren't going to change thing.

Your friend is right. If you feel unsafe here you should move to where you do feel safe. It is easier to change your surroundings than all the people who live in your surroundings.

If it's a choice between being crowded out by immigrants, than having to be extra careful on the roads, I will take the latter.

Rights, as I know them, are enshrined in a constitution, which Thailand does not have. Nor will it ever be since it is impossible to guarantee. Safety is not a right.

I think a person should have the right to feel safe, but unfortunately as you say it is impossible to guarantee it.

Rights, as I know them, are enshrined in a constitution, which Thailand does not have. Nor will it ever be since it is impossible to guarantee. Safety is not a right.

I think a person should have the right to feel safe, but unfortunately as you say it is impossible to guarantee it.

There is no safety guarantee for virtually anything, even my singing, you could get trampled heading for the exit door....w00t.gif

No, I would just stick cotton wool in my ears.

As far as I can tell after six years in LOS. foreigners have very few rights here. I think it is important for us to do our own due diligence on safety issues, because the cops are only going to come around for the cleanup and tea money. To serve and protect is a foreign concept, not understood here. If you want police help, you will be expected to pay for it.

My wife and I were threatened by a Thai who is a known criminal. When I went to the police, they took a report and did nothing even though they knew him. We were threatened again, and I was told it would cost 10,000 to "investigate". I took care of the problem through private means.

Having said all that, I feel safer here than in most American large cities. I pay attention, stay away from rough areas and don't go walking around alone at night if I can help it. I also don't wear jewelry or flash cash anywhere. You do and you are just asking for it.

Be smart and take personal responsibility for your safety, If you do, you should be allright.

As far as "rights" to safety here or anywhere else; that's just a utopian concept concocted by liberal politicians for the sheeple they want to vote for them.

Oh, and don't travel in vans. They will get you there very quickly (if they don't wreck) but you will have the hell scared out of you. Driver competence is questionable at best.

Good luck.