All my 'farang' friends are dead :(

simon43

I'll file this post under 'expat life', (or death), as opposed to 'fun,entertainment'.

Since moving to Thailand in 2002, I've been lucky enough to enjoy the company of a few expats, some retired here, some working, some police volunteers.

Now, with a recent passing, I realise that every one of those friends are now dead sad.png

- 2 died of cancer

- 2 died in motorbike accidents

- 2 killed themselves

- 1 died of unspecified cause

- 1 died of diabetes

None of these people were older than 65 years, several were in their 30's.

In addition, 2 more friends went mad and 2 are now alcoholics

How's your group of friends??

Edited by simon43

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't lost any that I'm aware of.....?????? - but some might only see one or two times a year when in their areas (or them heading my way) + not online active.....So, it's possible I might not know because of time lapse......

But - really don't spend any time with the "drinking" crowd - and it seems a lot of that could have to do with your lost friends....

You are definitely jinxed Simon, but I'm not far behind :(

In 11 years, I've lost one in a plane crash (Phuket, his wife of 6 months walked away), two heart attacks, one of some unspecified infection picked up in Hong Kong and one who died whilst surfing ThaiVisa (also a heart attack).

None were particularly old (oldest was mid 60's) or much overweight, only one smoker.

I know very few farang here, but of those . . .

- 1 died of lung cancer (smoker).

- 1 died from heart attack after having osteoporosis and loosing a lot of weight (suspicious).

- 1 murdered by Thai wife (seriously!).

Maybe others from booze but I've not heard from them in years.

It's a scary place to get sick or have an accident. I'd hate to have a serious accident and be waiting for an ambulance in Thailand. Honestly it's something I dread.

The other thing is food standards. There's little to no regulation. One example is Thai peanuts and corn. The stuff grown here would never make it to the dinner table back home due to mycotoxins.

It's a scary place to get sick or have an accident. I'd hate to have a serious accident and be waiting for an ambulance in Thailand. Honestly it's something I dread.

The other thing is food standards. There's little to no regulation. One example is Thai peanuts and corn. The stuff grown here would never make it to the dinner table back home due to mycotoxins.

I think you might be making your life more miserable than you need (toxins).

I have few friends here. Mostly because I work full time. But I consider a few people I meet up with the nearest to a friend as can be.

So far in 3 years, they are all still alive and only one had to be repatriated after losing control of himself after catching the bar girl addiction.

I find it hard to meet new people here, but much of this is because I am essentially under house arrest when not working, or I am forced to go where my wife wants me to go, and virtually never alone. It's hard to meet new people and socialize at Foodland or the Villa Market

I also post on a different forum about online gaming. Within that community:

1 guy was killed on a motorbike in Phuket

1 guy jumped from balcony of Thonglor condo http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725453-european-man-jumps-off-thonglor-condo-in-bangkok/

1 guy died in a car crash

1 guy choked on his vomit when asleep drunk

1 guy hit by a car in Phuket http://news.thaivisa.com/phuket/swedish-man-killed-crossing-phuket-road/86073/

All died in their 20s. I was friends with a few.

Oh and another forum poster was the guy who went mad and killed a bargirl http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/509859-american-fanelli-sentenced-to-10-years-for-phuket-bar-girl-murder/

Edited by jspill

I think you might be making your life more miserable than you need (toxins).

I think you might be in denial. Generally in the West there are far stricter standards. Here there are virtually none. Which is of course one of the benefits of Thailand, though with this comes the flip side, that is such things as drunk driving, driving 150kph without consequence, and farmers bringing food to market without going through stringent checks. Look up mycotoxins. You might forgo eating peanuts and corn all together.

Edited by happysanook

I also post on a different forum about online gaming. Within that community:

1 guy was killed on a motorbike in Phuket

1 guy jumped from balcony of Thonglor condo http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725453-european-man-jumps-off-thonglor-condo-in-bangkok/

1 guy died in a car crash

1 guy choked on his vomit when asleep drunk

1 guy hit by a car in Phuket http://news.thaivisa.com/phuket/swedish-man-killed-crossing-phuket-road/86073/

All died in their 20s. I was friends with a few.

Oh and another forum poster was the guy who went mad and killed a bargirl http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/509859-american-fanelli-sentenced-to-10-years-for-phuket-bar-girl-murder/

Sounds like a fun forum, can you pm me the name?

all my friends here are doing just fine.

there has been the odd motorcycle accident, but mostly amongst acquaintances on the islands.

the bangkok crew is alive and thriving, i have known some of them for almost 20 years.

Simon, thank you for making me glad that I have no friends here.

Same -- no frang friends except for a few convivial neighbors with whom I practice my verbal English so I don't forget.

You dont live up the road from me do you?

I also practise this but i tend to slip in the odd thai word by mistake when speaking thaiglish

That's just beyond tragic sad.png

My friends are much less interesting it seems. No one has died.

1 - Still rocking on like he is 25 (he is 65 and going strong)

2 - Are still teaching and doing just fine.

Most - Left Thailand for various reasons.

The only potentially interesting one....

1 - Possible gambling addiction, but I lost touch.

If I could ask OP, how/where did he meet his friends? blink.png

I have read that that is exactly why Bingo was invented…it keeps the mind agile plus the reflexes taut and well tested.

Try it…there are chapters all over Thailand…..I know of one in Soi Buakhao, Pattaya and there are doubtless a few others.

Good luck!