All my 'farang' friends are dead :(

simon43

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of my friends had children in Thailand and moved back to farangland when the children were young due to the fact that raising children here was too costly and gave the children a limited development potential. But I was a generation younger than Simon43 when I came here.

My Mom is 92 all her friends ,relatives older than her are all gone.The older you get the more people you know will die.You need to

Get use to it,part of life.I was around drug people quite A bit in the 70's and 80's.I can't remember all of "associates" that I knew

That are gone now,but it's a lot.Just get use to it.

Im glad you can remember the 80's coz I can't

Well, this is not meant to be a sad topic, more a realistic one. We all have to go sometime. Of my friends in Phuket that I mentioned, those killed by drunken drivers whilst riding their motorbikes are perhaps the deaths that seem so unjust and a warning to all riders that you can easily be killed by some other idiot on the roads.

But all of my friends who have passed here were still relatively young ==> between 30 - 65 years old. (OTOH, that is maybe because I don't have any octagenerian friends...)

But I was a generation younger than Simon43 when I came here.

You were still in a pram?? :)

Edited by simon43

In 11 years, I've lost one in a plane crash (Phuket, his wife of 6 months walked away)

That must have been the One2Go crash? Off-topic: I was about 600 metres away from the airport when the crash happened. I recalled the rain was falling horizontally, such was the strength of the wind gusts that day.

What is this, the land of death!

Depressing to hear how many have died or left on bad terms. Even lots in the 30's and 40's age range.

Personally speaking, when living here year round, I kind of knew it wasn't my thing, so I just like coming to get away from the Canadian winters. It has worked out well, as the city I'm from is better all around outside 5 months of the year. And when I do return, it's exciting and fresh.

No friends died yet, but I believe the first woman I was ever with in Thailand (Phuket), was killed in the Tsunami.

Edited by Friendly Stranger

My Chums here appear Dead ,but "It's My Round" revives them. Had all my Original friends here die over My 25years here ,but good memories of them. New ones here tend to be over 68 ish and enjoy life with no money worries anymore. We avoid Teachers here ,that keeps us Young, moaning buggers.

everyone accounted for I know ....except for "songhua"...and... "pigeonjake".

The rest have posted already here, so i wont worry too much now.....biggrin.png

Can I sing you a song now..? giggle.gif ...OK,OK, will let them do it.....

Definitely NO!!!

everyone accounted for I know ....except for "songhua"...and... "pigeonjake".

The rest have posted already here, so i wont worry too much now.....biggrin.png

Can I sing you a song now..? giggle.gif ...OK,OK, will let them do it.....

. He sang this to his beloved Tire pressure gauge in Lotus..[emoji447]

Excellent humour from the last 2 posters-

1. what a festival of the pathetic this is.- a tremendous phrase, I imagine the boat scene from ' One flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' when Jack takes all the misfits on a fishing trip.

2. But this thread really makes me work towards not spending my retirement years regardless of which country im going to be in, to have a different priority to drinking excessivly and to have a good network of friends - Unwittingly, the noble contributors to this thread, by revealing their inadequate social skills resulting in alienation and loneliness, have enabled this young man to set the correct path for achieving contentment in his sunset years.

To comfort the OP, Simon 43, I would like to make a suggestion,......... perhaps the departed wanted to go, to join...you know who:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And there goes another mate - we worked together as teachers in Yangon in 2012/13, spent the evenings together using sign language and minimal Myanmar-sa to seduce the local Burmese women. Fun times and he's gone as well :(