Mouthwash does kill ticks.

giddyup

Like a lot of dog owners we have a never ending war on ticks. Our little crossbreed suffers bad reactions to Frontline, flea collars etc, so we are left with no alternative (other than frequent washing) but to pick the ticks off by hand. They are pretty small and can move surprisingly quickly in his fairly long fur when you are trying to grab one with fingernails. I read a tip online that said that mouthwash dabbed on the tick will kill them, so I put it to the test, and yes, it works. I just used a cotton bud dipped in mouthwash, I guess any brand would work, and the little buggers fall off after a few seconds. Obviously it's fairly time consuming, but hey, I'm retired.

Ticks are tough mothers - I hit some with steam once, and they just got up and walked away. Best thing is a cig lighter to burn them, or if you can find one, a gas stove lighter with a flame, not a spark. Remove tick from dog first!

After I dab them with mouthwash and they fall off the dog, I just drop them in a small bottle filled with alcohol (from pharmacy), if they aren't totally dead from the mouthwash the alcohol kills them instantly. The ticks are easy enough to crack with a fingernail anyway but the alcohol is less messy.

Ticks are tough mothers - I hit some with steam once, and they just got up and walked away. Best thing is a cig lighter to burn them, or if you can find one, a gas stove lighter with a flame, not a spark. Remove tick from dog first!

After I dab them with mouthwash and they fall off the dog, I just drop them in a small bottle filled with alcohol (from pharmacy), if they aren't totally dead from the mouthwash the alcohol kills them instantly. The ticks are easy enough to crack with a fingernail anyway but the alcohol is less messy.

thats great GID.i will have to try and get to his skin because he has a double coat,then drop them in the wife's vodka.

put some chaingard on him last night and found 5 on the duvet this morning[but not dead].

Like I have posted many times. The disease that the ticks carry is a parasite. It invades the red blood cells. It is in the salvilary glands of the tick. These ticks can be the size of a pin head. This disease destroys the kidneys.

Treatment is a Doxycycaline that is mixed in a syringe. It tastes good to dogs. and the treatment time should be six weeks to two months. with blood tests every two weeks to monitor kidney and liver function.

Diet is a low protein low fat diet....to help take the strain of these organs .

Two weeks treatment does not work. even if the animal becomes better. Two weeks o ly sets the stage for chronicity.

If you think just pulling off the ticks does the job forget about it.

Some dogs are more prone than others.

This disease shortens the lifespan of dogs by quite a bit.

As for the OP,s little dog......Shave most its fur off and check for micro ticks everytime the dog goes outside. Vacum and spray over and over inside. And spray your yard once a month......This all helps but isnt 100%.

Checking your pet's blood is about 500b its done in the same equipment that checks human blood and prints out the results so you can. monitor changes.

Having a dog in Thailand is almost like a job.

To sum up, there is no magic bullet for reducing tick infestations, our dogs get tick shampoo every week, Ivermectin once a month, are checked over every day and we spray the house as soon as we see ticks inside the house (Chainguard cockroach and ant spray) and occasionally the grass areas outside. Three of the eight dogs never have ticks, four more occasionally have, one has nearly all the time.

Ticks rarely bite me but they like my wife. Most Lyme disease infections seem to occur in Southern Thailand / Samui but little research is done in Thailand.

Most mouthwash products contain Alcohol, my guess that what knocks them out!

Some Thai's I know use Thai made Olive oil, on their hair, in small bottle at 7 -11... they leave in the hair for about 10 minutes, then wash out!

Good post by the OP anyway! thumbsup.gif

Just to add to Cooks comment, about Lyme disease .... never heard that about it's a problem on Samui...wink.png

Some Thai's I know use Thai made Olive oil, on their hair, in small bottle at 7 -11... they leave in the hair for about 10 minutes, then wash out!

Just to add to Cooks comment, about Lyme disease .... never heard that about it's a problem on Samui...wink.png

Sorry, I have lost the link. http://www.tm.mahidol.ac.th/seameo/2008-39-6-full/10-4238.pdf is the only one I found.

maybe I mixed Lyme disease with tick born diseases. I didn't say that Samui is especially at risk, maybe I read that there were cases of tick born diseases transferred to humans there. It is very difficult to get accurate information as not much work seems to have been done,

HOME PRO staff recommend "UH" TINNER. just drop them in.

hey taff dont they recommend it for anythin.gigglem.gif

Like I have posted many times. The disease that the ticks carry is a parasite. It invades the red blood cells. It is in the salvilary glands of the tick. These ticks can be the size of a pin head. This disease destroys the kidneys.

Treatment is a Doxycycaline that is mixed in a syringe. It tastes good to dogs. and the treatment time should be six weeks to two months. with blood tests every two weeks to monitor kidney and liver function.

Two weeks treatment does not work. even if the animal becomes better. Two weeks o ly sets the stage for chronicity.

As for the OP,s little dog......Shave most its fur off and check for micro ticks everytime the dog goes outside. Vacum and spray over and over inside. And spray your yard once a month......This all helps but isnt 100%.

Checking your pet's blood is about 500b its done in the same equipment that checks human blood and prints out the results so you can. monitor changes.

You give the impression that ALL ticks carry the parasite. This is simply not true.

The commonest parasite is erlichiosis, which soon shows itself as the dog becomes sluggish and goes completely off its food. This is diagnosed by a blood test, and is curable, though there is a tendency to reinfection. I have an old dog, sitting beside me now, which had it twice three years ago, but has completely recovered.

There are other parasites though, and if you suspect your dog is ill, have the blood test done to make sure. Going off its food, and anaemia (shown by pale gums) are good guides.

Meanwhile we all have our anti-tick regime for the dogs. Mine is ivermec (given in pill form (Endec)), and a tick collar (Preventic) if there seems to be an infestation. I check both dogs daily. Tick-killing shampoos reinforce this.

You give the impression that ALL ticks carry the parasite. This is simply not true.

The commonest parasite is erlichiosis, which soon shows itself as the dog becomes sluggish and goes completely off its food. This is diagnosed by a blood test, and is curable, though there is a tendency to reinfection. I have an old dog, sitting beside me now, which had it twice three years ago, but has completely recovered.

There are other parasites though, and if you suspect your dog is ill, have the blood test done to make sure. Going off its food, and anaemia (shown by pale gums) are good guides.

Meanwhile we all have our anti-tick regime for the dogs. Mine is ivermec (given in pill form (Endec)), and a tick collar (Preventic) if there seems to be an infestation. I check both dogs daily. Tick-killing shampoos reinforce this.

Unfortunately, my little poodle/schitzu cross is allergic to a lot of these chemicals, flea collars and Frontline make him sick and the injections from the vet just don't work.

I used to use a tablet containing ivermetecin once a month until the vets stopped stocking it, then I came across I-MAX , I have two long haired bangkua dogs (spelling?) I had them trimmed and give them half a sachet each in their food once a week, not had any problems since I started this treatment, I nearly lost my girl dog last year to tick fever so it is a worry. These sachets cost 40baht, I get mine from a large pet food suppliers in Pattaya.post-19447-0-51753100-1441255516_thumb.j

I used to use a tablet containing ivermetecin once a month until the vets stopped stocking it, then I came across I-MAX , I have two long haired bangkua dogs (spelling?) I had them trimmed and give them half a sachet each in their food once a week, not had any problems since I started this treatment, I nearly lost my girl dog last year to tick fever so it is a worry. These sachets cost 40baht, I get mine from a large pet food suppliers in Pattaya.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This treatment is for worms isn't it? At least that's what I read on the packet.

Yes that's what it says but it was recommended for ticks also and in the six months I have been using it never had a tick problem on any of my dogs and I do check regularly when they have a weekly shower.

Might be worth a try. I'll see if my local pet shop stocks it. I wonder why it says don't use for Collie or Old English sheep dog?

Edited by giddyup

I used to use a tablet containing ivermetecin once a month until the vets stopped stocking it, then I came across I-MAX , I have two long haired bangkua dogs (spelling?) I had them trimmed and give them half a sachet each in their food once a week, not had any problems since I started this treatment, I nearly lost my girl dog last year to tick fever so it is a worry. These sachets cost 40baht, I get mine from a large pet food suppliers in Pattaya.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This treatment is for worms isn't it? At least that's what I read on the packet.

i have tried to search it and all i can find is its used for cattle,about the same as endex 8000 so you have to make sure how much you give them.

one of the problems i got with our boy is finding somewhere to take him to get his coat trimmed.

the last place[vets] he came back with scrapes and bruising all over his belly,goner try my barber.

Yes that's what it says but it was recommended for ticks also and in the six months I have been using it never had a tick problem on any of my dogs and I do check regularly when they have a weekly shower.

Might be worth a try. I'll see if my local pet shop stocks it. I wonder why it says don't use for Collie or Old English sheep dog?

Endex/ivermectin comes in various sizes, so you need to make sure you're giving the correct dosage. Some breeds, mainly large working dogs, cannot tolerate it (see numerous threads in this forum.... or Google). It is supposed to control heartworm and all internal and external parasites.

Bangkaews are local dogs and should not need trimming, in spite of their double coat; but they love to swim. (I've had one)

Meatboy, buy your own trimmer (like the one your barber uses). Then you'll trim your beloved to your satisfaction.

Endex/ivermectin comes in various sizes, so you need to make sure you're giving the correct dosage. Some breeds, mainly large working dogs, cannot tolerate it (see numerous threads in this forum.... or Google). It is supposed to control heartworm and all internal and external parasites.

Bangkaews are local dogs and should not need trimming, in spite of their double coat; but they love to swim. (I've had one)

Meatboy, buy your own trimmer (like the one your barber uses). Then you'll trim your beloved to your satisfaction.

thanks IB i did buy exactly the same trimmer as my barber use's but i couldnt use it at all,gave it away last yr.

help mobile groomer wanted.dog is very good,polite and loves women.

thanks IB i did buy exactly the same trimmer as my barber use's but i couldnt use it at all,gave it away last yr.

I bought one as well, a dog trimmer, which is different than the normal clippers that the barbers use, I have normal clippers and they just won't cut his hair, but more to the point, I gave up trying to cut him myself, he just won't keep still long enough, and for the 200 baht the vet charges, it's not worth the hassle.

so if there's a good groomer in korat who's willing to come to our house to give our boy a trim,i will pay your exs and 300bht.

50% carry it. Depends on the area. some areas higher others lower. For me I do what I can. Dont play the odds when it comes to my best friend. 500 b for a monthly blood test.......added precautions.....my dog is 14. and acts and looks like a dog very very much younger.....Has been a victim of tick parasites.....

i have tried to search it and all i can find is its used for cattle,about the same as endex 8000 so you have to make sure how much you give them.

one of the problems i got with our boy is finding somewhere to take him to get his coat trimmed.

the last place[vets] he came back with scrapes and bruising all over his belly,goner try my barber.

Why not buy some clippers and do it yourself. The last pair that i bought were 700 baht at the beauty shop in the small town near me.I also use them to keep my "chrome dome" clean!

Flea collars will not work on ticks. Ticks are much more resistant to chemicals than fleas, but the main reason is fleas run up and down the dog to the mucous membranes in the facial area (I think anus also but less so) for moisture thus pass the collar where they get exposed to the chemical. Ticks don't need to do that. Frontline is not much value for the same reason. Personally I consider it a rip-off.

Thanks for the tip on the mouthwash.

Flea collars will not work on ticks. Ticks are much more resistant to chemicals than fleas, but the main reason is fleas run up and down the dog to the mucous membranes in the facial area (I think anus also but less so) for moisture thus pass the collar where they get exposed to the chemical. Ticks don't need to do that. Frontline is not much value for the same reason. Personally I consider it a rip-off.

last week we sprayed all the beddroom with which was supposed to be a strong tick killer,[MAX] but i got 2 brown buggers on the wall,so i tested this spray

it didnt even stop it,but the tuther 1 i spayed with chaingard which we normally use,it stopped it stone cold dead.

i also tried the mossy spray that is supposed to kill most bugs that didnt work either.

so its CHAINGARD for me,it does say its safe to spray direct on the dogs body but i only spray around the neck where he cant lick as it contains permethrin.

Tick collars help; they're not a stand-alone fix for ticks (nothing is as far as I know).