Migrant tempers fray as Hungary blocks trains for 2nd day

webfact

Migrant tempers fray as Hungary blocks trains for 2nd day
By SHAWN POGATCHNIK and PABLO GORONDI

BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) — Tempers flared among the thousands trapped in a makeshift refugee camp in the heart of Budapest on Wednesday as Hungary played hardball with its unwelcome visitors for a second day, blocking train ticket-clutching migrants from traveling deeper into Europe.

The migrants, who have swamped every nook and cranny of public space outside the city's Keleti train station, threatened to walk the 105 miles (170 kilometers) to the Austrian border if police don't let them board trains to their desired destinations in Austria and Germany.

"I will walk the whole way if I must," declared 28-year-old Ahmed Shamoun, who deserted Syria's army three months ago, leaving nine brothers and eight sisters behind in Damascus. "I could pay a taxi 500 euros ($550) to take me to Austria, but the police might stop me. I could wait here forever before Hungary lets me take the train."

Hungary tantalizingly opened the way Monday, allowing more than 1,000 migrants to pack westbound trains — and inspiring a migrant surge to the capital — before it withdrew the option 24 hours later. The question of how to defuse the human gridlock in Hungary is set to dominate meetings in Brussels on Thursday between EU leaders and Hungary's anti-immigrant prime minister, Viktor Orban.

Hungary, which for months had permitted most applicants to head west after short bureaucratic delays, now says it won't let more groups deeper into the European Union and has cited EU backing for the move. Police blocking migrants from entering the capital's main international train hub also stopped them from marching around the station, sparking scenes of anger but no violence.

Migrants "are not entitled to move freely within the European Union even after entering Hungary," government spokesman Zoltan Kovacs told The Associated Press.

The tent city outside Keleti has steadily grown to an estimated 3,000 migrants camped out on the concrete plaza and subway entrances. Men sleep tightly packed together, using backpacks for pillows, as young children play in their midst, coloring with crayons or swerving around the carpet of bodies on tricycles. Rumors in shouted Arabic spread quickly, fueling surges of excitement and fury as people are told that the train station soon will reopen for migrants, or that police are about to attack and detain them.

Conditions around the transportation hub have grown increasingly squalid despite the efforts of volunteers distributing water, food, medicine and disinfectants. Local restaurants demand cash to let migrants use their restrooms. A lone city fire hose provides water from a faucet, where a sign in English prohibiting the washing of feet is ignored.

The fate of Europe's asylum seekers, more than 330,000 of whom have arrived so far this year, is dividing Hungary as illustrated by two profoundly different demonstrations Wednesday night.

Around 5,000 people marched in Budapest in support of combating racism and strengthening state support for the new arrivals from the Middle East, Asia and Africa.

"The government is carrying out policies which are inhumane, un-Christian and lack solidarity," said Veronika Kramer, a 35-year-old lawyer who took part in the rally along with her husband and sons, aged 5 and 7. Earlier, she had taken her boys to Keleti to meet migrants and give them bottled water.

"The boys needed to see them," she said. "One of their kindergarten classmates told them that he hated the migrants because they spread disease."

Some 110 miles (175 kilometers) to the south, on Hungary's border with Serbia, such anti-immigrant hatred was on graphic display. Leaders of the neo-fascist Jobbik party — the third-largest in Hungary — led some 300 supporters on a march that confronted the newest migrant arrivals with xenophobic verbal abuse.

Waving Hungarian and party flags, the Jobbik activists shouted into the faces of migrants walking into Hungary along train tracks that pass through Hungary's border security barriers. The migrants, many of whom had just walked for hours from Serbia, appeared terrified.

Police positioned on the rail line typically marshal the new arrivals into asylum registration centers. But on Wednesday night, fearful that the extremists might assault the group of about 50 foreigners, police formed protective circles around them and told them to run into a farm field.

Hundreds more migrants remained on the Serb side until the rally dispersed.

"Hungary has to be able to turn back everyone who arrives at the Hungarian borders as an illegal migrant — everyone without distinction," Jobbik leader Gabor Vona told supporters in a speech on the border.

"There is a real humanitarian catastrophe taking place here, but the humanitarian catastrophe is not about what will happen to the poor immigrants. The humanitarian catastrophe is what will happen to poor Hungary. This is what everyone should be asking," he proclaimed to applause.

Hungary's government says it will pass a bill soon that creates new prison-style migrant holding centers near the border that allow for fast-track decisions, limited rights of appeal and easier deportations back to Serbia.

"We have to reinstate law and order at the borders of the European Union, including the border with Serbia," said Kovacs, the Hungarian government spokesman. "Without re-establishing law and order, it will be impossible to handle the influx of migrants."

Elsewhere on the long route into Europe, 13 people died when two boats ferrying them from Turkey to the Greek island of Kos capsized. Turkish media said 12 drowned, including a woman and three children, while another person died later in a hospital.

The Greek coast guard also recovered the body of a man south of the island of Kalolimnos. It wasn't clear whether the death was connected to the capsized Turkish boats about 14 miles (22 kilometers) to the northeast.

Meanwhile, the Czech Republic announced it no longer intended to prevent Syrians who had already claimed asylum in Hungary from traveling via its territory to Germany. The Czechs previously had detained Syrian migrants, as well as those from other nations, for up to 42 days. The new policy could allow Syrian migrants to travel more freely to Berlin because the most direct Hungarian trains to Germany's capital pass through the Czech Republic.

The clampdown on train travel from Budapest has had an immediate effect in the migrants' primary target country, Germany. German police reported Wednesday that only about 50 migrants arrived on the morning trains to Munich, compared to 2,400 on Tuesday.

The Greek coast guard, meanwhile, said it had rescued 1,058 people in 28 Aegean Sea locations over the past 24 hours. More than 200,000 migrants have reached Greece this year, chiefly from neighboring Turkey, where more than 1 million live in refugee camps after fleeing warfare in Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Greek police also arrested six suspected smugglers in northern Greece after finding 103 migrants, including 19 children, hidden in a truck.

And in Vienna, police interrogated the 30-year-old Romanian driver of a truck that was discovered Tuesday containing 24 Afghans on the outskirts of the Austrian capital. Police spokesman Thomas Kleibinger said the vehicle's rear doors had been padlocked to keep the Afghan men, aged 16 to 20, trapped inside, and the windows were sealed, preventing fresh air from getting inside. He said the men were in good health because they had spent relatively little time inside.

In France, cross-Channel trains resumed normal service Wednesday after serious overnight disruptions triggered by reports of migrants running on the tracks and trying to climb atop trains.

Passengers aboard one Paris-to-London train said their service was suspended because migrants trying to climb aboard the train had damaged fire safety equipment. In tweets, passengers also described seeing migrants running along the roofs of another train near the French port of Calais.
___

Associated Press reporters Bela Szandelszky in Budapest; Amer Cohadzic in Roszke, Hungary; Geir Moulson in Berlin; George Jahn in Vienna; Suzan Fraser in Ankara, Turkey, and Elena Becatoros in Athens contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-09-03

Arrest them and deport them. They are acting like invaders who think they are entitled to do as they please and receive whatever they want. If an average Hungarian citizen behaved the way these invaders are behaving, the citizen would be arrested and charged. Why shouldn't the invaders receive the same treatment and suffer the legal consequences for their actions?

Edited by Usernames

In the Netherlands almost 10 % of the population is non-dutch, of which 50 % is muslim. This is, already, a serious strain on the social fabric, furthered by the fact that 70 % of the muslims are unemployed, unschooled and are more than overrepresented in our prisons.

We don't really want any more muslims to come to our country, fugitives or not. There is simply no room, not enough housing, not enough schools etc. Also, every penny spent on these expensive economic refugees could much better be used to help the real people in need in the refugeecamps in Turkey and Greece.

What is happening is a direct result of western interference in North Africa and Middle East for decades... Libya, Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan, are all bleeding souls to the EU due to western interference...

Muammar Gaddafi foretold of this refugee crisis a long time ago if North Africa were destabilized...

http://sputniknews.com/africa/20150423/1021247040.html

What is happening is a direct result of western interference in North Africa and Middle East for decades... Libya, Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan, are all bleeding souls to the EU due to western interference...

Muammar Gaddafi foretold of this refugee crisis a long time ago if North Africa were destabilized...

Ghadaffi said it, Hussein said it, Nasser said it, Kohl said it and Thatcher said it. The Middle East and North Africa will be destabilised by the Americans, starting in 1953 in Persia with the US-funded shah.

Political science faculties all over European universities lectured longingly that it is wrong to allow the Americans to screw around in non-American territory (see Indochina, South America etc.).

It would leave a vacuum of power which would result in a domino effect and the whole thing would be triggered off by the Americans. Again the US goofed up big time - very, very far from their doorstep. Europe is going down due to absence of leadership; any incoming German Chancellor still has to sign and abide by the "Kanzlerakte" which forces him/her to follow the allied forces (forget Britain, France and the defunct Soviet Union) which still sit around in Europe and do ........ nothing.

Financially we see a resurrection of the stock exchange doldrums of 1929; politically we're heading towards the writing of 1933 in Central Europe on the wall - and we can't even blame them.

These are not REFUGEES but illegal immigrants; maybe the Americans take some too. If the German ratio is applied then Uncle Sam better gets ready to accept 2'512'000 "refugees" as it was the Americans fault to start the godforsaken mess in the first place.

The Hungarians should load the trains, marked "Austria/Germany" and go non-stop ......... in the opposite direction. A civil war is in the making and, if nobody stops this madness, will result in WW3. Lessons NOT learnt!

Ghadaffi said it, Hussein said it, Nasser said it, Kohl said it and Thatcher said it. The Middle East and North Africa will be destabilised by the Americans, starting in 1953 in Persia with the US-funded shah.

It started centuries earlier with European colonial powers, who promised the locals a lot to gain allies in a multitude of territorial squabbles, then in the 2 World Wars- while secretly negotiating among themselves how to split the spoils of war- completely reneging on all their promises..

Now the results are washing up on Euro shores...

Granted, the USA has done its share of idiotic meddling, but they were very late to the game.

Edited by impulse

And it begins...

Europe, you've not seen anything yet.

Good luck.

Europe has massive problems while Merkel is running the show.

Merkel is perhaps the worst of Europe's self righteous leaders. In a game where each EU vegetarian/fruit juice drinking/sandal wearing/dogooder after another tries to prove he/she is the GoodEuro and everyone else is a Bad/Euro, they are turning against their own people letting an alien horde loose within the city walls. All the time, I guess, thinking they are going to get some GoodEuro statue erected to them down the line somewhere.

The anchor Bimbo on CNN was saying how terrible it was that these poor refugees were denied access to the trains to a new life.......

Well I am sure Europe would be happy to let 30000 go to the US, and I am sure the "refugees" would be delighted to get a green card.

After all, the US led the wars to destabilise the donor countries, (with the help of the lacky Brits) so they can lead the resettlement effort if they want.

Germany alone was flooded with 100,000 culture enrichers in August alone. Make no mistake this is Hirja (migration jihad). There is a booming (no pun intended) market in fake Syrian passports to aid Muslims from all over the Middle East to invade Europe. Escalating trouble leading to massive social unrest will follow these 'migrants' as sure as night follows day until measures are taken to halt then reverse the flow.

The anchor Bimbo on CNN was saying how terrible it was that these poor refugees were denied access to the trains to a new life.......

Well I am sure Europe would be happy to let 30000 go to the US, and I am sure the "refugees" would be delighted to get a green card.

After all, the US led the wars to destabilise the donor countries, (with the help of the lacky Brits) so they can lead the resettlement effort if they want.

Rather simplistic, don't you think? A good number of these migrants are from war-torn Syria. Is it the US's fault that Bashar Hafez al-Assad is butchering his own people? Further, was the Arab Spring a US invention? I understand the US involvement in Iraq and Libya, but it's much more complicated than that. I for one wish the US would just stay out of the Middle East. But we have some GOP dudes in the US Congress who are constantly wanting to go to war.

I think Europe had better look a little further back to see who started meddling in the ME. The US was very late to the game and they were pretty well screwed up by then. What country established Iraq, for example?

It might be in Europe's best interest to start solving the problem on its border and stop trying to blame someone else. The situation is serious and blame won't solve it.

Like I mentioned in another thread, this is a mess. But, Europe was in a mess with their current situation, but now add pain. Poor locals.

And ppl thought a political party like the fascist regime would never again gather stregnth. God forbid, but this is exactly the environment they'd want to spin their rhetoric.

Rather simplistic, don't you think? A good number of these migrants are from war-torn Syria. Is it the US's fault that Bashar Hafez al-Assad is butchering his own people? Further, was the Arab Spring a US invention? I understand the US involvement in Iraq and Libya, but it's much more complicated than that. I for one wish the US would just stay out of the Middle East. But we have some GOP dudes in the US Congress who are constantly wanting to go to war.

You are right of course. Many of these so called "refugees" are not that at all. They are economic migrants. If so many young men migrate to Europe for a better life then who will be left to fight for a better life in the countries they are running away from? The wars are a good excuse to play the refugee / asylum card, and the do-gooders are facilitating it.

As Steely Dan points out, this is attrition, and Europe will be inexorably changed into the sort of more economically and culturally backward zone that these migrants are running away from. Then the only option will be the beacon of light which is the New World.

As for the rise of the fascists... it seems that Hungary has the closest thing to a fascist regime that Europe can offer, and the migrants obviously do not want to stay there...

http://gatesofvienna.net/2015/09/muslims-are-flooding-occupying-and-destroying-europe/

Muslims are flooding, occupying and destroying Europe

The Hungarian Jewish writer and Holocaust survivor Imre Kertész, who won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2002, now directs sharp criticism of the Western establishment’s decision to allow Europe to change its population through mass immigration from Third World countries.

In his book The Last Refuge (ISBN: 9789187347948) Kertész chooses to strongly condemn what those in power are currently doing to Europe.

It is an invasion, as with all invasions its intent is to bend the local populations to its will, so much easier these days with so many enthusiastic towers of Trojan horses through the city gates. Edited by Steely Dan

Easiest thing for Hungary is to load the trains and send them to Germany. The hard thing is to

enforce the law and request proper paperwork. Germany has sent a strong message that the

migrants are welcome. Sorry to say I would take the easy route and send all migrants on and

have Germany handle them. As for Germany, they make there own bed. You can't throw out

the welcome matt and then insist all the other countries in the EU share the burden. coffee1.gif

Clearly most of these folks have been brainwashed by ruthless trafficing scum.

Germany they scream (big mouth 18 year old) Any of the countries they enterred seemingly are not good enough.

I wonder how many of the lot are real refugees.

The US is accepting large numbers of these refugees / immigrants also...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/gray-matters/article/The-refugee-who-welcomes-the-refugees-6468958.php?t=5f776781bd438d9cbb&cmpid=email-premium

The United States takes the "lion's share" of U.N.-referred refugees accepted for permanent resettlement, Al Sudani said. According to U.N. data, between 2010 and 2014, the U.S. alone resettled 71 percent of all refugees.

Out of every 1,000 resettled U.N. refugees, more than 700 come to America. Though all 50 states accept some refugees, 75 of those 700 find their way to Texas, according to U.S. State Department numbers. And more of those will come to the Houston area than to anywhere else in Texas: The state health services department reports that nearly 40 percent of Texas' refugees land in Harris County.

Somalis and Syrians by the thousands are now being sent to Idaho of all places and are bilking the system for all that it's worth...

http://freedomoutpost.com/2015/05/obama-admin-to-colonize-idaho-with-thousands-of-muslim-refugees-from-syria/

It has been reported that 7 million Syrians are seeking refugee status in the US.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/gray-matters/article/The-refugee-who-welcomes-the-refugees-6468958.php?t=5f776781bd438d9cbb&cmpid=email-premium

The United States takes the "lion's share" of U.N.-referred refugees accepted for permanent resettlement, Al Sudani said. According to U.N. data, between 2010 and 2014, the U.S. alone resettled 71 percent of all refugees.

Out of every 1,000 resettled U.N. refugees, more than 700 come to America. Though all 50 states accept some refugees, 75 of those 700 find their way to Texas, according to U.S. State Department numbers. And more of those will come to the Houston area than to anywhere else in Texas: The state health services department reports that nearly 40 percent of Texas' refugees land in Harris County.

Somalis and Syrians by the thousands are now being sent to Idaho of all places and are bilking the system for all that it's worth...

http://freedomoutpost.com/2015/05/obama-admin-to-colonize-idaho-with-thousands-of-muslim-refugees-from-syria/

It has been reported that 7 million Syrians are seeking refugee status in the US.

Europeans are witnessing the end of a civilization as we know it. The same will happen in the US eventually. We in the US have had a sample of it in the 11 million people here illegally. Fortunately I won't be around to see the end result. But I can predict that those with affluence will escape the brunt of the problem either by living away from the problem or moving elsewhere, while the middle class will see its demise. There is no way any government can sustain the amount of humanity that is flooding into Europe if it remains unabated. Social services will be strained to the brink of collapse as there will not enough taxes to support the needs of the poor. The middle class who will see their income decline will blame the immigrants and at some point ethnic strife will rear its ugly head. What is so sad is that the politicians don't seem to understand this and in their need to be politically correct are basically screwing up the future by not taking a tough stand now.

and the official US figures are that 1500 Syrians only have been accepted since the start of the Syrian conflict. However they say they may try to take more in 2016.... The UK only 200. But comparing the land available...

CNN is still calling them tragic refugees. ....

Edited by bangon04