Pickup load bay cover options

Chongalulu

I have 6 month old pearl white 4 door Isuzu hi lander for which I'd like to get a load bay cover for security and protection of luggage shopping etc. don't want carry boy type but would like suggestion of options. I've seen cantilevered colour coded set ups on some in passing,presumably dealer supplied, but would like some ideas of prices of these and alternatives or even if someone has a suitable one to sell (I'm in Korat area) . My Phimai dealer doesn't speak English so we were struggling to communicate and they had no illustrations. Grateful for anyone's help/feedback

Super Up is one option - web site Thai/English - http://www.superupthailand.com/catalouge.php

Top up another - http://www.topupcover.com/

Carry Boy do some similar as well. There are also simple snap down pvc covers (not secure) and I have seen a roller top - like a roll down metal door but in some sort of hard plastic.

My dealer would not fit but recommended a local company to do - sorry nowhere near you.

Edit - with my Super Up they removed the two rear tie down rings so check installation details before going ahead.

Edited by topt

Super Up is one option - web site Thai/English - http://www.superupthailand.com/catalouge.php

Top up another - http://www.topupcover.com/

Carry Boy do some similar as well. There are also simple snap down pvc covers (not secure) and I have seen a roller top - like a roll down metal door but in some sort of hard plastic.

My dealer would not fit but recommended a local company to do - sorry nowhere near you.

Edit - with my Super Up they removed the two rear tie down rings so check installation details before going ahead.

A neighbour has the roller top, says it leaks badly. Don't know if he just got a bad one. I have an Alpha SC-R lid and they removed all four tie downs. Been trying to find out if there's an alternative I can install.

post-130068-0-12004000-1441605748_thumb.

Edited by giddyup

Don't know why you don't want a Carry Boy as you don't say, they do seem to be one of the best around. Had one on my Vigo never leaked or had any problems. Still going strong after 10 years.

But they are not cheap around 30th I suspect today.

Must agree with Giddy Up (Nice snap) the roller type do leak.

Does it leak??? I have travelled behind pickups with those types and they seem to vibrate. The one I had fitted was a carry boy similar to Giddy up's one.

Peeps told me Carry Boy suffer with electric motor problems, I didn't have any, and neither has my friend who brought the Vigo from me 6+ years ago.

Don't know why you don't want a Carry Boy as you don't say, they do seem to be one of the best around. Had one on my Vigo never leaked or had any problems. Still going strong after 10 years.

I assumed,wrongly it seems,that carry boy referred to windowed type tops,sorry. But yes 30k is over budget and don't need electrical lifting. I don't really need one for the most part as with two of us just put luggage in rear seat or valuable shopping likewise. My daughter and boyfriend spending December with us when we will be touring which makes that option awkward. Would appreciate more information on pricing which none of the links contain. Thanks for info so far though

I assumed,wrongly it seems,that carry boy referred to windowed type tops,sorry. But yes 30k is over budget and don't need electrical lifting. I don't really need one for the most part as with two of us just put luggage in rear seat or valuable shopping likewise. My daughter and boyfriend spending December with us when we will be touring which makes that option awkward. Would appreciate more information on pricing which none of the links contain. Thanks for info so far though

The one I pictured in post #4 cost me 33,000 baht, and that's non-electric, just gas struts. I believe the plainer Carryboy type are around 25,000 baht. For a solid top you probably aren't going to find much cheaper than that.

Does it leak??? I have travelled behind pickups with those types and they seem to vibrate. The one I had fitted was a carry boy similar to Giddy up's one.

Peeps told me Carry Boy suffer with electric motor problems, I didn't have any, and neither has my friend who brought the Vigo from me 6+ years ago.

It doesn't seem to leak. The electric motor hasn't failed so far (3+years)... I wouldn't get the electrically operated one again though ... it was about 30K (with a free fold-up bike) the bike still works!

Can't comment about movement when the whole lot is raised ... hardly ever used it in that position ... don't suppose that it is a good idea to drive fast when it's in that position though.

I think that the roller shutter type is a good idea, if it suits your purpose ... I just wanted a big boot to accommodate golf clubs and suite cases.

It doesn't seem to leak. The electric motor hasn't failed so far (3+years)... I wouldn't get the electrically operated one again though ... it was about 30K (with a free fold-up bike) the bike still works!

Can't comment about movement when the whole lot is raised ... hardly ever used it in that position ... don't suppose that it is a good idea to drive fast when it's in that position though.

I think that the roller shutter type is a good idea, if it suits your purpose ... I just wanted a big boot to accommodate golf clubs and suite cases.

Thank you for your reply.

I was told by the Carry boy peeps that fixed mine on to keep to lowish speed when raised unless I had the 4 corner down struts that come with it bolted in position. Then not over 100kph.

Like you though only on few occasions did I ever used it raised.

I didn't get a fold up bike, I did beat them down to a low price 24th maybe that's why.

• 2 weeks later...

The Isuzu dealer in Korat,part of the group I bough it off,had on display a Max cover top ,same as my liner,which I have to say looked pretty substantial with all the opening variations you could need. It is 25000 baht in white or 22000 in black . Given my supplying dealer would fit it I feel there would be more comeback if any issues. Anyone any experience of this make but from replies so far it doesn't seem I'll do better than 25k although I'd like to if any other tips? They wouldn't give any discount

I have had a CarryBoy Sport Lid fitted, including electric opening for 29,000 Baht. Excellent fitting by Boy Air on Sukhumvit road Pattaya, and also very good colour matching. Doesnt allow water in and is also lockable, pictures below.

attachicon.gifIMG_2797.jpg

attachicon.gif

IMG_2798.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2799.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2800.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2801.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2802.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2803.JPG

Looks good although no better than the max liner at Isuzu Korat. I don't think for me it's worth extra 4000 for electric opening. Funnily enough I saw exactly this in orange on a ford in Phimai and spoke to the owner. He was from Kanchanaburi where he claims they fitted it for 23000. Unfortunately all too far away from me!

So how do you transport some big stuff with the lid? It renders any pickup practically useless.

I got one of the boxes for the loading bay, 2 screws to take it off, takes no 5 mins. Less than 10k from Carryboy or Aeroklas. Best solution in my opinion.

So how do you transport some big stuff with the lid? It renders any pickup practically useless.

I got one of the boxes for the loading bay, 2 screws to take it off, takes no 5 mins. Less than 10k from Carryboy or Aeroklas. Best solution in my opinion.

I've managed to transport wardrobes, couches, chairs and other bulky items with the lid elevated, if I needed to transport anything taller I would undo a few bolts, unplug the electrical harness and with another person lift the lid off.

As I'm very rarely going to need to do that I don't really see it's going to be much of a problem for me.

Meanwhile the benefit of the added security and weather proofing far outweigh the disadvantages imo

I've managed to transport wardrobes, couches, chairs and other bulky items with the lid elevated, if I needed to transport anything taller I would undo a few bolts, unplug the electrical harness and with another person lift the lid off.

As I'm very rarely going to need to do that I don't really see it's going to be much of a problem for me.

Meanwhile the benefit of the added security and weather proofing far outweigh the disadvantages imo

I have the Super Up version and completely agree with your last sentence. I often take people to golf and it is great for storing the golf bags and other paraphernalia securely and keeping them dry.

To answer an earlier query you can easily drive with it fully up at 100kph and I have done so with people in the back and more regularly two large dogs. The Super Up lid is a very solid piece of metal and does not appear to flex at all. I would not however want to try and take it off and was told it needed 3/4 people.

Well, it really depends on what your are transporting. I just posted some pics here in the other thread. Have carried all kind of other stuff like big bamboo fences or Shera sheets. Neiter would have worked with a lid.

But as you carry golf bags or supermarket purchase, your choice of a car may be wrong from the beginning :).

Well, it really depends on what your are transporting. I just posted some pics here in the other thread. Have carried all kind of other stuff like big bamboo fences or Shera sheets. Neiter would have worked with a lid.

But as you carry golf bags or supermarket purchase, your choice of a car may be wrong from the beginning smile.png.

Not necessarily. I bought a pickup for ground clearance (flooding) and robustness (can hit the odd pothole without losing the suspension), and I still can carry bags of sand, cement etc if not wardrobes or fridges.

Edited by giddyup

But as you carry golf bags or supermarket purchase, your choice of a car may be wrong from the beginning smile.png.

Not necessarily. I bought a pickup for ground clearance (flooding) and robustness (can hit the odd pothole without losing the suspension), and I still can carry bags of sand, cement etc if not wardrobes or fridges.

Pretty much my reasons for buying a pick up too, that and the fact that the ranger is about 400k cheaper than the equivalent Ford Everest and has the same level of interior. Pickups are incredibly good value for money compared to an SUV Edited by Linnets1961

Pretty much my reasons for buying a pick up too, that and the fact that the ranger is about 400k cheaper than the equivalent Ford Everest and has the same level of interior. Pickups are incredibly good value for money compared to an SUV

Same here. The Wildtrak has all the gizmos and I get a proper gearbox. I don't need 7 seats (or the extra weight) but I like the massive boot.

The Ranger and Everest have the same curb weight so not sure whatyou are talking about Jase the Base.... also you say the Ranger has a proper gearbox ?.... is not the same automatic transmission that is in the Everest ?

Bow to your knowledge but surprised the suv would have same kerb weight when you consider additional seats roof and bodywork (are you sure?) . I went for the pickup Isuzu because of 500000baht price difference and didn't want automatic. More interested to know whether the coil rather than leaf springs help with ride quality seeing as both suffer from live rear axle vs IRS of say CRV suv?

The Ranger and Everest have the same curb weight so not sure whatyou are talking about Jase the Base.... also you say the Ranger has a proper gearbox ?.... is not the same automatic transmission that is in the Everest ?

The Everest is about 300KGs heavier and my Wildtrak has a manual gearbox not an automatic.

yeah no need... when you said you had a wildtrak that had all the same gizmo's that indicated to me that you had the proper 3.2 wildtrak .... not the tarted up XLT version.

bwahahahahaha. apples to apples and all that yeah.

Edited by Don Mega