Skytrain service in Bangkok delayed as a passenger accidentally fell on to the tracks

webfact

Skytrain service in Bangkok delayed as a passenger accidentally fell on to the tracks

sk.jpg

BANGKOK, 7 September 2015 (NNT) – The Bangkok Mass Transit System (BTS) reported that a 22-year-old female passenger passed out and fell down on to the train tracks at 7:16 a.m. at Ratchathewi BTS station. Officials have rescued the fallen passenger, but the incident caused major delays to the BTS service this morning.

The incident caused BTS to halt its service immediately to rescue the passenger, but now normal service has resumed. The injured passenger sustained an open cut near her eyebrow, and she is now being treated at the hospital.

The passenger, 22-year-old Ms. Suwadee Heng-Udom, is now conscious and stated that she was on her way to work and passed out while waiting for the train. Luckily, officials were able to stop the train before it entered the station. However, a large number of people were stuck in the station, while officials worked to rescue the woman.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-09-07 footer_n.gif

"... passed out while waiting for the train ..."

Probably due to the need for a breakfast which would have been eaten after she started work.

Yes, probably. Thais seem to have this bad habit of spending 1.5-2 hours commuting to work in the insane heat BEFORE eating or drinking a single morsel of food. Why not wake up 20 minutes earlier and eat at home?

Of course the combination of 30-32 degree heat at 7am in the morning, lack of food and air-con is going to cause someone to pass out. Also, contrary to popular belief that Thais are more acclimatized to the heat here, I beg to differ. I know many locals here who have passed out due to the heat whereas I can handle it perfectly well, even going for a run in 37 degree heat is not an issue for me.

Probably due to the need for a breakfast which would have been eaten after she started work.

Yes, probably. Thais seem to have this bad habit of spending 1.5-2 hours commuting to work in the insane heat BEFORE eating or drinking a single morsel of food. Why not wake up 20 minutes earlier and eat at home?

Of course the combination of 30-32 degree heat at 7am in the morning, lack of food and air-con is going to cause someone to pass out. Also, contrary to popular belief that Thais are more acclimatized to the heat here, I beg to differ. I know many locals here who have passed out due to the heat whereas I can handle it perfectly well, even going for a run in 37 degree heat is not an issue for me.

Maybe the fact that they need to commute 2 hours to get to work, means that getting up 20 minutes earlier isn't easy? Also maybe she works long hours or 2 jobs....

My girlfriend orders her breakfast once she gets to the office simply because she doesn't have time to get ready for work and commute, plus make and eat breakfast.

Locals dont generally exercise if they can avoid it, she probably gets a motorbike from her door to the bts entrance...

Still bad for a 22 yr old

She was very lucky they had time to stop the train, people will be asking her for lottery numbers for ages.....

I like the way thai medias always need to give the full name, I wouldn't like to be this poor girl and have this kind of unwanted advertising... I'm surprised they didn't also provide us with her full address....

Edited by Cappella

I am so happy for your wonderful health Tom.....

Glad she is alright.

In contrast, in Japan, it is unfortunately not unusual to have train service backed up by someone jumping on to the tracks in a bid to end it all. There are cleanup crews expressly outfitted for these events, due to the numerous occurances and the daily dependence of so many citizens on mass transit.

"Clean up on track four!" Japanese.... such and efficient bunch.

The glass partitions and doors at some BTS station are really a good idea.

no budget left for security doors like you see in many civilized countries ?

Bangkok BTS is the only open air platforms I have seen with security doors.

A few weeks ago I was at the station in Cologne airport which is only a couple of years old, no security doors there so I have to assume that Germany along with the rest of Europe are not civilised countries.

Folks...don't be standing with your toes right at the edge of the skytrain platform. Some pushing and shoving going on.

Not the place to be standing anyways. She appears to be fine, and has possibly now realized that standing back a few feet would be much wiser.

Edited by slipperylobster

Very lucky girl ! If it has been as hot in Bangkok as it has been in Pattaya (hotter, of course !) that could cause anyone feeling not too well to pass out smile.png When will this heatwave end ?

It's been baking hot in BKK these last few days when it should be cooling off by now.....

Glad the lass is OK.

I like the way thai medias always need to give the full name, I wouldn't like to be this poor girl and have this kind of unwanted advertising... I'm surprised they didn't also provide us with her full address....

Had they provided Ms Suwadee's address, I might have felt the urge to send round some flowers and a get well card. She will be famous by midnight.

What are Thais? There are people who are used to the heat because the go out and used to their local climate and there are people who rarely set a footstep out an A/C room if it is not really necessary especialy if the sun is shining...

Good for you. Running some 4K at around 3.30 one afternoon was enough to convince me that night or early morning are far preferable.