New SUV Choices

Manassas

Yes try Denmark, cheapest 4 door 2.2 Ranger is 1.277 mill baht (manual gear) and then comes the so called "green tax" which is 27k baht per 6 month. 3.2 is 38k baht in green taxes per 6 month.

Ohh sorry that was for company use only, if you want to use it privately, the price is 1.53 mill.

They don't even sell the new Everest there man, it's just too expensive. They want people to ride small micro cars, the green tax on some of them are quite low since you are a good boy and do what they want.

Not a petrol head paradise to put it mildly, they prefer you uses a bi-cycle or bus/train. Little communist country really. He-he.

Diesel price is app 43.5 baht per liter.

http://brochurer.ford.dk/Prisliste/Varebiler/FordRanger/

My new Kawa Versys 650 is 323k baht here and app 550k baht "home".

No complaints about Thai prices from me.smile.png

OK, off to Hilton Pattaya for lunch buffet, they got a long time running promotion for 500 baht per person. I Denmark min X3 more, X5 is more likely, fxxx that man.

In Thailand all I see is about three kinds of full-size SUVs: Fortuner, Isuzu MU7 and Pajero.

You need to look harder tongue.png

Add to that list:

Audi Q5

Audi Q7

BMW X1

BMW X3

BMW X5

BMW X6

Chevy Trailblazer

Chevy Captiva

Ford Ecosport

Ford Everest

Honda CR-V

Honda HR-V

Hyundai Tuscon

Kia Sorento

Mazda CX-3 (November)

Mazda CX-5

Mazda CX-9

Mercedes Benz GLA

Mercedes Benz ML

Mercedes Benz GL

Mercedes Benz G

Nissan Juke

Nissan X-Trail

Porsche Macan

Porsche Cayenne

Subaru Forester

Subaru XV

That's 30 including the 3 you already mentioned - and there's probably some I'm forgetting tongue.png

And..........

http://www.bentleymotors.com/en/models/bentayga/bentayga.html

OK, well if we're in "here's what you missed" mode, I'll add some more myself :P

Land Rover Defender

Range Rover Evoque

Range Rover Sport

Range Rover

Volvo XC60

Volvo XC90

psst: don't tell my wife I forgot these :P

The next gen BMW X1 will be the hot ticket when its released here in a few months. I'm guessing it will start at around 2.1-2.2M for the most basic version. But you do get a great service pack and warranty with that. http://www.bmw.co.th/th/en/general/services/bmw_serviceinclusive.html

The Benz GLA moves from being an import to domestically assembled later this month - so should be a more competitive package too.

Benz sales told me the GLA200 would drop to a little over 2M and the GLA250 would come in at 2.4M.

Should scare the badges of the X1

The next gen BMW X1 will be the hot ticket when its released here in a few months. I'm guessing it will start at around 2.1-2.2M for the most basic version. But you do get a great service pack and warranty with that. http://www.bmw.co.th/th/en/general/services/bmw_serviceinclusive.html

The Benz GLA moves from being an import to domestically assembled later this month - so should be a more competitive package too.

Benz sales told me the GLA200 would drop to a little over 2M and the GLA250 would come in at 2.4M.

Until the new F48 X1 is launched.. then it becomes a real conundrum...

Edited by IMHO

Yep, confirmed prices are:

GLA 200 Urban 1.6L: 2.09M

GLA 250 AMG Dynamic 2.0L: 2.44M

Still the question remains: what about the new X1? If BMW can sharpen their pencils on the new 20d's to price match the GLA 250, that would make it a very hard decision indeed... both are similar on performance, but the BMW gets around 50% better FE, and just plain looks better..

Edited by IMHO

Yep, confirmed prices are:

GLA 200 Urban 1.6L: 2.09M

GLA 250 AMG Dynamic 2.0L: 2.44M

Still the question remains: what about the new X1? If BMW can sharpen their pencils on the new 20d's to price match the GLA 250, that would make it a very hard decision indeed... both are similar on performance, but the BMW gets around 50% better FE, and just plain looks better..

Do I assume correctly that both, the GLA 250 and the new X1 will be FWD only or does anybody have more info if the would come with 4WD....always think buying a SUV but NOT having 4wd is a bit of 'strange choice'.

Do I assume correctly that both, the GLA 250 and the new X1 will be FWD only or does anybody have more info if the would come with 4WD....always think buying a SUV but NOT having 4wd is a bit of 'strange choice'.

Both GLA variants are FWD only, yes. It's yet to be seen whether the F48 X1 will get an xDrive variant in TH, but the outgoing range is all sDrive...

To be frank though, the outgoing X1 and the current GLA just don't have the ground clearance to do anything approaching "real" off roading, and in the BMW range especially, a 4WD X1 would probably cross over into X3 price territory.

The GLA250 has 19 inch wheels with 45 profile tyres. The ground clearance, wheels and tyres and gearing all make 4WD about as useful as it is on a CRV or X Trail. In Thailand that = not much.

Maybe 4WD would help the GLA250 put its 211hp down in a drag, but that's probably not a big concern for the demographic.

Edited by Jitar

The GLA250 has 19 inch wheels with 45 profile tyres. The ground clearance, wheels and tyres and gearing all make 4WD about as useful as it is on a CRV or X Trail. In Thailand that = not much.

Maybe 4WD would help the GLA250 put its 211hp down in a drag, but that's probably not a big concern for the demographic.

Your last argument could also be applied to the updated 20d we should see in the F48 X1: it has 21PS less then the Benz 250, but 50Nm more - so should be more or less similar on the road. Agree, unlikely we'll see 4WD on either.

The new X1 certainly looks like a big improvement...... but that's not really saying much! Think I would want to see the real thing before deciding if it is better looking than the GLA though.

Wonder if the new X1 will be locally assembled like the GLA? The current X1 is a bit pricey compared to the GLA now. A dealer told my wife the 2M cheapy was discontinued, leaving the 2.25M 1.8i and the 2.8M 20d. BM seem to have a habit of chopping models and options.

They really need a price reduction for the new model but that would be disappointing for the current X1 owners, as for it probably is for the imported GLA.

Edited by Jitar

The new X1 certainly looks like a big improvement...... but that's not really saying much! Think I would want to see the real thing before deciding if it is better looking than the GLA though.

Wonder if the new X1 will be locally assembled like the GLA? The current X1 is a bit pricey compared to the GLA now. A dealer told my wife the 2M cheapy was discontinued, leaving the 2.25M 1.8i and the 2.8M 20d. BM seem to have a habit of chopping models and options.

They really need a price reduction for the new model but that would be disappointing for the current X1 owners, as for it probably is for the imported GLA.

I think all current X1 owners are going to be disappointed when the F48 launches - because then they realize they bought an ugly car not because it had to be compromised to sit under the X3, but just because it's ugly tongue.png

But yeah, in order to win bookings, the F48 is going to need a 20i or 20d variant awfully close to the GLA 250's 2.44M price point - otherwise it just becomes a "bye".

Edited by IMHO

One thing I will say for the old X1 is that it was quite fun to drive. The reason it was popular in Thailand was because it was quite sporty to drive, it was an estate and it had an OK interior too. But yes, I could never love the looks..

As much as you try, you can't quite forget the new X1 is based in a Mini. And then you start thinking how an HRV looks pretty good and is 80% as capable.

For less than half the price.

One thing I will say for the old X1 is that it was quite fun to drive. The reason it was popular in Thailand was because it was quite sporty to drive, it was an estate and it had an OK interior too. But yes, I could never love the looks..

As much as you try, you can't quite forget the new X1 is based in a Mini. And then you start thinking how an HRV looks pretty good and is 80% as capable.

For less than half the price.

The HR-V is probably even more capable, when it comes to outright utility ;)

But there's a big gap in performance, styling, comfort, materials quality, noise and even FE.

Worth double the money? depends how much value you place on the criteria where the X1 does better.. For me, I will generally spend extra for a nicer interior, better performance, and better NVH. Maybe a little extra for better styling (that's more of a buy or bye thing for me though)... At under 2.5M for a version with a decent engine, the X1 would become interesting, if it can't hit that price point, the new GLA 250 pricing (which knocks out the A class) especially with it's nicer interior, becomes pretty compelling.

I have never been a fan of German cars. Not so much because of the vehicles but because of the silly prices. When I was working for a Thai company the factory manager had a BMW and the company manager had a Mercedes. I rode in both vehicles many times. As far as ride and quiet, the Mercedes was MUCH better than the BMW. I asked the factory manager why he chose the BMW over the superior Mercedes. He said it was sportier and better handling. I think he saw the light because within a couple of months, he had a new Mercedes.

Not at all, it's because of these lucky boys that we can all get an affordable 1 year old bmw if we wish to

555 :D

Well, I've said here a number of times before: cars are just like girlfriends - no matter how much you like your current one, there's always a better looking, better performing, or more economical one around the corner.

Your angle gives it a slightly different meaning though :P

I do really like the A Class, great looking hatch inside and out.. but being based on it the GLA looks a bit daft in my eyes, I'd go so far as to say its pretty ugly.

The lack of space for an SUV type car is a deal breaker too.

Yep, the GLA is almost literally just a 40mm taller A class.. and there's also a concern the obligatory "AMG Dynamic" pack on the 250 means it's got terribly stiff suspension. Test drive necessary.

Why do they make it so hard to buy?

Edited by IMHO