Saudi

mogandave

Sorry, I live east coast. Never been west coast.

Most fun thing to do in Saudi is get on a plane and leave!

Saudis are into family time, picnics and shopping, so not so much to do.

Scuba diving is supposed to be good that side. Maybe some quad biking, off road buggies, or jet skis. If you're on business you might get a good host who wants to show you around... Insha Allah

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Hot, humid with seasonal weather changing. Dust storms and possible thunderstorms coming up.

No alcohol or pork. Long pants a must and dont chat the women up.

Diving is good and shopping centres. Cheap cigarettes and turkish/iranian carpets.

Bad time of the year to go with Hadj. Expect overcrowded noisy and dirty airport with a good chance of catching a cold/flu or meningitis from the travellers. MERS is around but more so in Riyadh.

I avoid Saudair like the plague although I know some people who like them for the inflight food. No alcohol on board. Too many bad experiences with them for me. Very poor customer service, delayed or cancelled flights plus bumped off more than a few times.

Thanks, I really don't have a choice on the DXB-JED leg as it is being booked by the company I am traveling with.

My return is on Emirates JED-DXB and then Emirates DXB-BKK booked separately.

Emirates should let me check my bag all the through, yes?

Thanks

Jeddah airport is a toilet, no other way of putting it. Saudia can be a nightmare, especially the "musical seats" when you board. As someone has pointed out Hajj starts on 22nd. so flights are wedged from 13th on. Oh, and make sure you use the toilet on the plane after take off, because believe me they will be unusable after the first hour. The only reason we fly them is because the Saudis wrote it into our contract. It is the only way they can get foreigners on the planes.

Sorry to be so negative, hope the trip is o.k. and over with very quickly. Stay safe.wai.gif

Yes if you booked the journey as a single booking with one airline, your bag is automatically transfered.

I booked a round-trip BKK-DXB-BKK and a one-way JED-DXB both on EK

My DXB-JED someone else booked and it's on Saudi.

Jeddah airport is a toilet, no other way of putting it. Saudia can be a nightmare, especially the "musical seats" when you board. As someone has pointed out Hajj starts on 22nd. so flights are wedged from 13th on. Oh, and make sure you use the toilet on the plane after take off, because believe me they will be unusable after the first hour. The only reason we fly them is because the Saudis wrote it into our contract. It is the only way they can get foreigners on the planes.

Sorry to be so negative, hope the trip is o.k. and over with very quickly. Stay safe.wai.gif

Thanks, it's only 3 hours so hopefully I won't have to use the toilet...

I would contact the airline and check, if you have time.

Maybe you can give 2nd leg details at check-in and they will do it for you.

Maybe need to go to transit desk and get your bag transfered.

Yeah, I'll be at the lounge for an hour in the morning anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the flight was okay, & the B777 was clean, comfortable and seemed to be in good repair. The food was crappy, and I'm not picky by any means.

Immigration going in Monday night was cake, 10 minutes and I was waiting for my bag. Another 20 minutes and I was at the hotel.

They did let me check my bag through, which worked out well, and Immigration exiting Thursday night took about an hour, the then the flight was 3 hours late, so I spent several hours in the "First Class Lounge" which was just okay.

Missed my connection at DXB and ended up spending the night there.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

Edited by mogandave

By chance just stumbled upon this today:

Jeddah is the nr. 2 airport in the world due to CNN.

just ...

that it is the list of worst airports in the world, only beaten by Islamabad.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/20/travel/worst-airports-2014-sleeping-in-airports/

OK, its "just one of these lists", but seems it is not made up from nothing.

Edited by KhunBENQ