Bangkok Bank Visa Card

So Bangkok Bank give Visa Debit cards, even though there is sufficient fund in the account, they will still not let you bok a flihgt with the card.

So why the hell keep money in the account.

So I went and tried to sort it out. They just say, "no can do".

So can some one please tell me how the hell I book a flight out of Thailnad, It like I am trapped here desperate to escape.

please, just please help, I want out but cant even buy a bloody tickets with my opwn money in a Thai bank. bah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

How are you trying to use the card ?

If you are attempting to use it book a flight on line you must sign up for "internet banking" .

I fail to understand why a flight out of Thailand cannot be obtained from any one of the many travel agents using cash ............................................Cash can be obtained from an ATM using a debit card.

Withdrawing all your cash and closing the account would also solve the problem.

Its a huge problem i totally agree what a freaking joke slapping some visa logo on there for what! Get a real bank account back home where a card debit , check, whatever, with a visa logo actually functions as it should...not just as some trendy logo slapped on a shit card that says preferred member for the name. I feel your pain. Gotta pay cash at a walk in travel agency.

And no you can't sign up for internet banking to solve all your problems...still doesnt work except for nok...hell even air aisa only accepts one bank...ucb or something...

That is just not true.

I have used my BKK Bank internet enabled debit card for many transactions including Air Asia.

Siam and cimb only direct debit cards allowed for online purchases...

Rubbish !

Only yesterday I booked and paid on line for a Air Asia flight to Perth, Australia using a Bkk Bank debit card !

Where does that thumbnail originate from ?

Provide the link please

Edited by oncearugge

I really wish posters would stop trying to make their topic sound like it is really important news that everyone should read!!!

I have a BKK bank account debit card and when asked if I wanted it for ATM withdrawals AND store/online purchases, I said no thanks, just ATM withdrawals. Reading this headline made me log on and read in a panic what this actual scam was/is!!

Go wet your pants somewhere else

Really, if one is too ignorant to get his money, go to travel agent, pay cash, then I don't know how the hell he ever held a job.

Its inconvenient , when I'm traveling anywhere I can make a booking at 3am for a 10am flight and Its not just flights, its anything on the world web and you can buy 0 zip nada and you cant hook it up to paypal either. I was surprised when I tried with Thanachart bank however the GF put me on her account for a second visa credit card and I just transfer cash when I need to use it

Really, if one is too ignorant to get his money, go to travel agent, pay cash, then I don't know how the hell he ever held a job.

Its inconvenient , when I'm traveling anywhere I can make a booking at 3am for a 10am flight and Its not just flights, its anything on the world web and you can buy 0 zip nada and you cant hook it up to paypal either. I was surprised when I tried with Thanachart bank however the GF put me on her account for a second visa credit card and I just transfer cash when I need to use it

you could always pay for the ticket at the 7/11.... there is a few of them around and most have an atm machine as well.

you could always pay for the ticket at the 7/11.... there is a few of them around and most have an atm machine as well.

Well thats good to know . There have been times when I wanted to book a flight and the hotel wi-fi is to weak and intermittent so this is a great option

How exactly does that work?

Can this be done for any internet purchase - flights, hotels,...?

I have my BKK Bank Be1st Debit Card linked to PayPal, works fine.

I also note that the image in Post #8 is not about debit card payments but for Direct Debit payments, a different animal altogether.

The only issue I've had in 12 years with BKK Bank is that you can only pay certain bills using online banking, I had to sign up for a Siam Commercial account to pay my Citi credit card bill.

I also have my BKK Bank Be1st Debit Card, never had a problem... no problems booking and paying for flights, used it to pay for my UK Passport, even down to paying my hotel bill in Australia.

Also have Siam Commercial, but never used it for flights or overseas so no idea with that Bank card.

I've used my Bangkok Bank debit card to pay online...no problems.

And also keep in mind that some merchants, to include some airlines, may not accept debit cards (any bank's debit card) for an online payment.....they will accept credit cards and even accept debit cards when paying at their counters, but not for online payment. Not a new issue with debit cards.

Just for example regarding payment using a debit card, take a "close read" of this Air Asia FAQ webpage regarding their payment options...and notice how they seem to dance around payment by debit card (not to be confused with direct debit): Link.

And be sure to also to click on the "payment channels" link at the bottom of the page where they identify what debit cards they will accept for online payment....a very select few.

Yeap, debit cards can be problematic for online payment with some merchants.

Its a huge problem i totally agree what a freaking joke slapping some visa logo on there for what! Get a real bank account back home where a card debit , check, whatever, with a visa logo actually functions as it should...not just as some trendy logo slapped on a shit card that says preferred member for the name. I feel your pain. Gotta pay cash at a walk in travel agency.

why dont you just leave this country and go whine in an african shithole?

Visa debit card are the same in every country, nothing to do with Thailand. In fact 3months ago i tried to buy airfair tickets with my visa debit in Canada and was refused even after a phone call(Yet im able to buy a lot of stuff online)

I'm very well aware that it is inconvenient, but this guy seems to be willing to take a one way trip. So, he should go get the money, buy a ticket, and quit whining like a little kid.

Also, I was going to mention the 7-11 option, but I figured that was going to be over his head. Thanks, and I hope that could help others.

Every bank card i have ever owned in the states with the visa logo works fine as long as there is cash in the bank....we call them check cards....and after jumping through many hoops to get my card authorized for online payments....i have still found myself running around with friends and family trying help me because the fake visa cards don't work here. Its annoying when i can only pull out 20,000 bht a day to go make a cash payment and yea...i miss crucial appointments overseas.....lose money from jobs....because in my situation i need to be ready to fly at a moments notice....these shit cards don't perform and have cost me money. Simple solution is to keep a real bank open. Sorry to hear your fake visa shit card from canada doesn't work either....does it say preferred member as well?

I dunno about direct debit or whatever but i have a normal "preferred member" k bank card ...internet authorized....and i can use for agoda and nok.....when i tried to purchase air asia it was denied saying it was not accepted form of payment. And absolutely no aggregate site like kayak or whatever and ALL direct purchases i have tried through airline sites has never worked.

Wells fargo standard check card has worked for every single online purchase i have ever made anywhere in the world.

To me it just seems like that visa logo stamped on there( all crooked and uneven and fake dodgy looking) is absolutely worthless and serves no other purpose than to look like a real bank card.

Edited by fireplay

Again, 100% of these restriction come from the payment processor, not the bank.

Complain about the companies selling the products, not about the bank.

^^^^^Pretty much what bearpolar said....I don't know about 100% of the time but it's probably pretty durn close as some banks get picky with foreign transactions. And of course this assumes the card holder has not had the card-issuing bank code his debit card with certain restrictions...like for ATM use only, no purchases....or limited to X-amount per transaction/day.

First the card-holder needs to fully understand what the card transaction limits are (set by the bank and/or chosen by the card-holder) to ensure he's not violating one of those restrictions and second to determine what forms of payment the merchant accepts (which may include some debit cards from some banks but not all).

Yeap, some merchants just don't like to accept debt cards especially for online payments. No laws require them to accept all forms of payment...the merchant can choose...it's kinda like at many small Thai stores--Cash Only!!!

Edited by Pib

I think you'll find that not accepting the visa debit card is down to the airlines/ travel website rather than the bank.

The same airlines that won't take a Thai debit card usually don't take a UK debit card either.

strange, my Bangkok Bank debit card worked very well online to pay for flights and everything else but you must have it set up to work online or else you need to buy your ticket from a travel agent, very simple.

whistling.gif I'll assume you do have money in Bangkok Bank.

You do NOT have to purchase a flight out of here on-line and use your card.

It is till possible to BUY a ticket from airline offices here in Bangkok with CASH and you do not require the use of any card for that.

That is how us "old Dinosaurs" used to do it and it is still possible.

In 4 years I have purchased tickets in Bangkok from United Airlines, Emirates, Lao Air, and Malaysian Airlines.

Surprisingly enough, on two of those attempts I received a lower (discount) fee for the ticket by buying it for cash at the airline office and that discount fee was NOT available on-line.

The best part is that by buying for cash the airline does not want to see your Credit card at check-in.

By paying cash you can also purchase a discount ticket (if you are lucky enough to find one) for another person to travel (if you want to).

It's called a "third party ticket" and is extremely hard to book on line, if at all.

If you wanted to a "third party ticket" would allow you to bring someone to Thailand to stay with you.

Every bank card i have ever owned in the states with the visa logo works fine as long as there is cash in the bank....we call them check cards....and after jumping through many hoops to get my card authorized for online payments....i have still found myself running around with friends and family trying help me because the fake visa cards don't work here. Its annoying when i can only pull out 20,000 bht a day to go make a cash payment and yea...i miss crucial appointments overseas.....lose money from jobs....because in my situation i need to be ready to fly at a moments notice....these shit cards don't perform and have cost me money. Simple solution is to keep a real bank open. Sorry to hear your fake visa shit card from canada doesn't work either....does it say preferred member as well?

In case you had not noticed you are not "in the states" facepalm.gif

Thailand has its own rules and perhaps if you took the time to understand them properly you wouldn't struggle as much as you suggest above. Posting a screen shot about a direct debit as opposed to the topic subject did not add to your credibility either.........coffee1.gif

If someone here can help me get a kbank debit card attached to a savings account with a visa logo attached to work for online specifically international flight purchases, i'm all ears.

What are you on about credibility? You think i'm making my experiences up? For what?

I never claimed I know everything or even anything about the nuances of banking in Thailand. I have done everything my bank reps have told me to do, guided me to do, and one time even did it for me at the atm at the branch themselves. Air asia online and app will not accept my card. Kayak...china air expedia vayama etc will not accept my card.

This isn'T about credibility man....i was just empathizing with th OP.

6 years here and i have given up on k bank as a viable credible reliable option. SG is where it'S at.

Edited by fireplay