Phuket pigs to hoof it to Phang Nga

Lite Beer

Phuket pigs to hoof it to Phang Nga
Saroj Kueprasertkij

1441949327_1-org.jpg

The well-known wild pigs on the bypass road will be moved to Phang Nga on Sept 21. Photo: Saroj Kueprasertkij

PHUKET: More than 50 wild boars who have made their home beside the bypass road near the still-under-construction Sam Kong Underpass will be moved at government expense to Phang Nga.

The relocation of the “bypass pigs” will begin on Sept 21, Phuket Livestock Office (PLO) Chief Phattarakorn Chuachomphoophakorn told The Phuket News today (Sept 9).

“Our office has received complaints that the wild boars are causing a lot of problems in the area,” Mr Phattarakorn said.

“The landowner originally introduced only a small number of wild boars, but they have grown and bred very quickly – much quicker than the landowner anticipated. Now he has too many. They are annoying the locals and pose a danger to motorists driving by.”

The PLO met with the landowner and officers from the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP) to find the best solution to the problem, Mr Phattarakorn said.

“We found a place in Phang Nga that is very suitable for the boars,” he said. “It is a big piece of land where the owner guarantees the boars will pose no problem,”

“The bigger problem is how we can catch all of the wild boars alive. It will take some time, but we will do it as quickly as we can,” he added.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-pigs-to-hoof-it-to-phang-nga-54061.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-09-12

Don't play with angry wild pics.....note 21.09. event time.

These are not the same type of wild boars. Actually, they are not boars I think.

I have a wild one near my house which tries to mate with the dogs. Not sure of its sexuality as it doesn't seem to care if the dogs are male or female.

Interesting offspring - good guard pogs or tasty pog steaak.

Don't play with angry wild pics.....note 21.09. event time.

These are not the same type of wild boars. Actually, they are not boars I think.

I have a wild one near my house which tries to mate with the dogs. Not sure of its sexuality as it doesn't seem to care if the dogs are male or female.

Interesting offspring - good guard pogs or tasty pog steaak.

Shouldn't that be "sa-take"?

Seems like they are moving a problem from one place to another. Feral hogs are going to breed prodigiously and become a problem wherever they send them. Experiences in other countries prove that no landowner can guaranty they won't become a problem to surrounding land- and usually sooner than later.

Let some of the locals solve the problem by opening the season on them, loaning out some humane weapons, and distributing pork recipes and pork to the poor who would love to supplement their diet. Better yet, let the army handle the weapons. Win-win. (Except the pigs, of course)

Edited by impulse