Elton John: I want to meet Putin over gay rights

Lite Beer

I agree with Putin. These days anything involving this kind of thing, is a danger to our children.

I suppose a distorted image of the world could include:

Broken, straight marriages, with children involved, seems to be a danger.

Rapes by straights, commited against children, seems to be a danger.

Child abuse by straights seem to be a danger.

The selling of addictive drugs by straights to children, seems to be a danger.

Drunk driving by straights, with children in the car, seems to be a danger.

There are greater dangers to children than "this kind of thing".

I have found that some who "cry foul" and "protect the children" are sometimes the monster in the closet themselves.

Mr. Putin can do as he pleases, since he seems to be in control of Russia, which appears to be marching backwards to totalitarianism.

Yes but this has nothing to do with the thread.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Putin. These days anything involving this kind of thing, is a danger to our children.

Your reason being...?

You know what I mean,,,, As for being called a bigot, The boot is well and truly on the other foot. Elton John, nothing but a good for nothing pop singer,thats all.

Good for a few million I would say. I wish I was a few bob behind him.

Money!! Whats that got to do with it?

All the endless heterosexual promotion we all see daily won't ever prevent GLBT from existing. You don't become gay or straight based on promotion. Of course throughout history and many places now gay people have played pretend straight lives to avoid persecution.

I disagree, The whole thing has got out of hand, Now we must protect our children from this mental disorder.
Putinism? Yes. I agree!

If Putin agrees, perhaps Reg Dwight should take along Renate, the woman he married in 1986 to hide his now oh so proud homsexuality. I have nothing against homosexuals, but Dwight, the man with more hair and attitude than he had 30 years ago, is someone with an overblown ego, nothing moregiggle.gif.

Your reason being...?

You know what I mean,,,, As for being called a bigot, The boot is well and truly on the other foot. Elton John, nothing but a good for nothing pop singer,thats all.

Good for a few million I would say. I wish I was a few bob behind him.

Money!! Whats that got to do with it?

[/quote

About as much as bigotism

He just might. You never know. I doubt Putin is actually so stupid as to be a bigot but instead cynically uses the population's hatred of gay people for his political benefit.

Even some big Nazi leaders didn't hate Jews but saw the political benefit in using them as scapegoats.

What an utter load of BS sorry Up to now i had respect for most of your posts. Why on earth involve the Jewish people?? Amazing

He just might. You never know. I doubt Putin is actually so stupid as to be a bigot but instead cynically uses the population's hatred of gay people for his political benefit.

Even some big Nazi leaders didn't hate Jews but saw the political benefit in using them as scapegoats.

What an utter load of BS sorry Up to now i had respect for most of your posts. Why on earth involve the Jewish people?? Amazing

Actually it's remarkably relevant. Hitler persecuted Jews and gays. Putin doesn't persecute Jews reportedly because of a very warm personal experience with Jews in his youth but he does persecute gays. At the same time bizarrely he demonizes the west as fascist and links tolerance of gays with fascism. To add as a gay Jew I am not surprised that most of the most influential gay civil rights leaders in history have been gay Jews. It's hard to explain why it's not surprising but basically that particular double minority gives a distinctive perspective. Edited by Jingthing

Actually it's remarkably relevant. Hitler persecuted Jews and gays. Putin doesn't persecute Jews reportedly because of a very warm personal experience with Jews in his youth but he does persecute gays. At the same time bizarrely he demonizes the west as fascist and links tolerance of gays with fascism. To add as a gay Jew I am not surprised that most of the most influential gay civil rights leaders in history have been gay Jews. It's hard to explain why it's not surprising but basically that particular double minority gives a distinctive perspective.

OK I understand where you are coming from, I am also a 4x2 East London saying. But the rest as far as promoting Gay relationships is concerned I agree with Putin

Your reason being...?

Bigots need no reason.

Elton John is getting feisty in his old age. Good for him.

Nothing like someone who tried kill himself by sticking his head in a gas oven going in to bat against a world leader who is ex elite forces and a champion martial artist. Sir Elton should stick to being and old gay man who used to be able to sing using lyrics written by other smart people.

The problem with gays is that they don't want to just be free to enjoy life without persecution, they want to be free to promote homosexuality like it's some magical club.

I have never seen gayety "promoted" I have seen gay themes promoting Abercrombie and Fitch ....the "magical club" is your personal bent. Perhaps you can show an example of such promotion.

Not to be part of the discussion, but have you never heard of the gay pride parades and some of the "special" notoriety for a prime example. I guess that's not promoting as much as some have been demoted for refusing to participate.

All the endless heterosexual promotion we all see daily won't ever prevent GLBT from existing. You don't become gay or straight based on promotion. Of course throughout history and many places now gay people have played pretend straight lives to avoid persecution.

I disagree, The whole thing has got out of hand, Now we must protect our children from this mental disorder.

think it's more of a gene disorder...but what do i care tonky tonk

This is an issue for any developed nation to decide on. Against will not work for the LBGT people in society. For will upset traditional Straight people.

It is a lot for Russia to bring to the table as an issue at this time. But there is also no better time.

All of the developed world has sat on the fence for the most part since the 1960's.

3rd world countries, many if not all, still consider it illegal.

Science must define what makes a person gay or not straight anyway. I am hetero, but I have family that is gay. I can't believe this is from grooming or conditioning.

And I can't hold it against anyone that has this to deal with in their life.

It has been, and is a burden on top of every other burden we liv with, and die with or for in the extreme.

Elton vs. Putin, Putin, if he allows for a talk, will humor Elton if anything. It will be a meaningless effort.

Putin is no different than any ex-soviet ruler, male machismo shows strength in these hard countries. The whole LBGT effort is wasted for now in these places.

he made this request because he is sure Putin would welcome being set straight on his "ridiculous" attitude on gay rights. especially by Elton John

and while on the subject of ridiculous , they can discus Elton's hair laugh.png

Elton means well, but you just cannot make a request to speak to a world leader. Especially, when there's existing political tensions. I would think the allies wouldn't even go for it, as this may backfire and cause irreversible damage.

Edited by Friendly Stranger

We get it. Horrible hateful ignorant regressive intolerant anti-gay bigots are still out there. And in many nations like Russia and Uganda they reflect the vast majority of people. Sad but true. But the good news is that in many countries tolerance of LGBT people is progressing rapidly. The international LGBT civil rights movement continues. Indefinitely.

Edited by Jingthing

But I bet they didn't entertain gay Jews

A number of posts removed for derailing the topic and attempting to force other issues and opinions.

If you wish to discuss those other issues, I suggest you open another topic in a more appropriate forum.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

EJ performed at hatemonger Rush Limbaugh's wedding. I would have thought there'd be a quid pro quo, with Limbaugh agreeing to cease bashing gays. Maybe he has. On the other hand a miilion bucks is a million bucks.

I think we've entered a new era of publicity mongering/media narcissism/self promotion, where reality stars are emerging from their shows and now become news items (biggest example yet is the one who says he's running for US president). I guess EJ's insult battles with other pop stars have gone flat, now he's taking on world leaders. Or could it be a flirtation? Usually these guys who make such a deliberate display of their of their masculinity are battling their inner sissy, and maybe EJ finds that adorable.